Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

AndrewP posted:

Okay gang, what are some good chill games besides Pokerstars that I can play while watching something in a pinned Virtual Desktop window? Seated preferably.

Elite: Dangerous if you're into doing some chill space trucking or mining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

If you're into space, gonna recommend Space Engine again- although it's less of a "game" than it is just sightseeing the universe.

You could also do Google Earth VR, or just sit on a range and do some plinking with H3VR.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Elenkis posted:

You know I would be way more into Elite if they added a virtual cockpit for Oculus. I don't feel like hauling out the HOTAS, like... ever.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

AndrewP posted:

You know I would be way more into Elite if they added a virtual cockpit for Oculus. I don't feel like hauling out the HOTAS, like... ever.
It is quite playable and accessible with a controller.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Elenkis posted:

Elite dangerous but turn the music down and put on Space Station Soma on soma.fm

They mix ground control recordings with chill electronics and it’s very awesome music for space truckin

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Less Fat Luke posted:

It is quite playable and accessible with a controller.

Yeah, it was ported to consoles some time back, so they made it workable with gamepads.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

AndrewP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndIan0YCL-I&t=297s

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/9fgl8p/elite_vr_cockpit_open_source_steamvr_overlay_with/

I've never tried it personally but, certainly looks interesting.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Shine posted:

Index speakers + Buttkicker = a great goddamn time. Love playing flight/racing sims and Elite Dangerous on Index.

Playing thumper with the buttkicker is amazing. It's very intense.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some notes after playing some hours with the Quest:
-It’s really important how the device rest on your face and how it’s adjusted to your head, as it affects both comfort and potentially visual clarity.
-I wish the battery would be longer. Not like “I wish it would be twice as long!”, I know that cannot be done easily, but I wish it was at least 20% longer. Sometimes I think “is it already this low!?”
-The controls are a bit small for my big hands. To hold them firmly without pressing any trigger or button by mistake can be a bit complicated sometimes.
-Related to that, sometimes I press the Oculus button by mistake. I know there is an option to having to hold it to activate the Oculus menu, but in that case you lose the functionality of ‘holding to reset view’ which is very useful.
-Speaking of the Touch controls, it was weird at first that the primary interaction mechanism, grabbing/holding something is done with middle finger, not with what I would say is the ‘main’ interaction finger IRL life, the index.
-The guardian system works without problems… except once yesterday night, it didn’t want to recognize my space despite being the same as always and it had enough light, I had to restart the Quest.
-I don’t know how the hell there is no button to activate the pass-through cameras!

Apps:
-The first thing I noticed it’s the clusterfuck there is between Oculus Video, Oculus tv, Oculus Venue, Facebook Live, and more video apps. I wish there was more consolidation, they all do the same at the end of the day. I wish there was a least categories to order/filter the apps, and put video apps in one part, docs/‘experiences’ in another, etc
-Beat saber is very cool, of course.
-Moss is also cool, in a very different way. Looking a very nicely animated mouse in front of you is surreal.
-I tried a bit of ‘normal’ locomotion for a few minutes of Rec Room paintball and in the Journey of the Gods demo, and while it felt somewhat weird and disorienting, I wasn’t puking immediately my intestines, so I think with a period of acclimation it should be fine for me.
-Pistol Whip made me remember in how out of shape I am. I’m not fat (technically overweight by 3kg per BMI), but yeah, totally out of shape… in a way I convinced myself to buy the Quest to improve that.
-edit: Oh poo poo I forgot about Vader Immortal. I'm not that much of a SW nerd to cream my pants for holding a lightsaber, but seeing storm troopers or Darth Vader up close in VR, at the correct scale and intimidating as hell, was my first "oh poo poo VR is real" moment.
-Finally, with Ultrawings I really felt uncomfortable the moment I did a not-that-smooth stick movement without the ‘blinders’ option. It left me conflicted, I love flying in game and in VR is obviously even more cool, but it seems for this I’m going to have to ‘train’ more.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 25, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

-The controls are a bit small for my big hands. To hold them firmly without pressing any trigger or button by mistake can be a bit complicated sometimes.

You might want to look at some of the third-party grip accessories that let you hold them hands-free like Index controllers.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The way to think about touch controller's hand interactions is that the middle finger is used to signify gripping an object while the trigger is used to interact with the gripped object. Some games for the Vive wands do everything using the trigger (because the grip buttons are poo poo) and it's far more awkward.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

The way to think about touch controller's hand interactions is that the middle finger is used to signify gripping an object while the trigger is used to interact with the gripped object. Some games for the Vive wands do everything using the trigger (because the grip buttons are poo poo) and it's far more awkward.

Yes, I totally get it, like holding a gun and then 'use' it or not with the free index in the trigger. But one thing is to know something and another to really assimilate it. These are 'first impressions of first VR timer', in any case.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You might want to look at some of the third-party grip accessories that let you hold them hands-free like Index controllers.

I have that on the back of my mind (in fact I asked about it a few days ago here), for now I want to try Quest 'as is', and let the modding/accessories for later.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So far ultrawings is the only game to churn my stomach enough to pull the headset off my head for relief. I'm generally fully immune to motion sickness having grown up on a small boat.

I got the Quest on launch day and the tracking has really improved by leaps and bounds, particularly in low light situations. Used to be that after an hour or so the tracking would degrade slightly and things would shift and would create some mild unease. I think part of this might also have been getting my "Sea legs" in VR. The 11.0 release is probably 50% better than the 10.0 release for low light conditions.

2 hours playtime is plenty battery life, and the battery charges right back up very quickly on a 60w charger (standard laptop charger). 20 minutes is plenty of time to take a break

Also re: disk space, 64gb is enough, technically, but if you can afford it 128gb is a nice luxury that you will definitely use. I dunno if I would have paid for a 256gb model but I'm definitely glad I bought the 128gb model

If you though pistol Whip kicked your rear end, try Thrill of the Fight

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PSA: Oculus Black Friday deals are going live in the UK, the Oculus store, Amazon and Currys all have the Rift S for £350.

No discounts on the Quest from what I've seen.

repiv fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 25, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shine posted:

Index speakers + Buttkicker = a great goddamn time. Love playing flight/racing sims and Elite Dangerous on Index.

Elite in general has really good sound design that kicks rear end (pun intended) on the buttkicker

Hadlock posted:

So far ultrawings is the only game to churn my stomach enough to pull the headset off my head for relief. I'm generally fully immune to motion sickness having grown up on a small boat.

For whatever reason Ultrawings really nails that “holy poo poo I’m high up off the ground” feeling like not many other games. I have an iron VR stomach and Ultrawings will still get me sometimes

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I played Ultrawings on a toilet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The quest truly is a miracle

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Re: quest battery life.

A solution for both that and comfort hello is using a battery pack as a counter weight. Provided both extra charge life and takes some of the weight off your face.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

this is exactly what I want but it appears Oculus isn't really supported unfortunately.

I might check out VTOL, though.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 25, 2019

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I have a few games on steam I'd like to try in VR (Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky, Skyrim). If I get an Oculus Quest do I have to rebuy them? Can I use the PC Link and how well does that work on an older computer?

Also, I currently have a PlayStation VR. Is the Quest a significant upgrade from that?

Smoking_Dragon fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 25, 2019

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I have a few games on steam I'd like to try in VR (Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky, Skyrim). If I get an Oculus Quest do I have to rebuy them? Can I use the PC Link and how well does that work on an older computer?

I think Skyrim VR is separate but the others you should be good to go.

The PC Link works as well as any PC VR, so it just depends on what kind of video card and CPU you're running.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Any EU goons have tried the Quest yet? The Anker cable is not available in EU afaik, was trying to find one that is confirmed to be working before I pull the trigger on the Quest. Best option would be a 4m long one (since I'm used to the CV1 cable), but any confirmed working will do.

EDIT: this is weird, there is an Anker cable for sale on Amazon.co.uk, but it's not the correct model according to this breakdown on the recommended Anker model:

Seems to be the Powerline+, which is somehow supposed to have a lower data transfer rate than the regular Powerline model? Also it's 90cm long :v:

EDIT2: some rando on Reddit is saying this cable worked fine for him, and since it looks like he was running a series of different tests, I think it should be alright. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D7NNJ61/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 25, 2019

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

Any EU goons have tried the Quest yet? The Anker cable is not available in EU afaik, was trying to find one that is confirmed to be working before I pull the trigger on the Quest. Best option would be a 4m long one (since I'm used to the CV1 cable), but any confirmed working will do.

I just grabbed a random high street 2m 3.1 A-to-C cable from some brand called goji and plugged it into the 1m CableMatters 3.0 extension I got for my Rift years ago. Worked fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Also, I currently have a PlayStation VR. Is the Quest a significant upgrade from that?

Skyrim VR is a separate game. ED and NMS just give an option to start in VR with the base game you already own

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Index arrives Wednesday :neckbeard: Gonna be a fun upgrade, I didn't realize how long I've had the VIVE, time flies.

Virtual Boy -> DK1 -> DK2 -> VIVE -> Index

Is there any way to get a leather face cover for the Index? I checked vrcover but they only have a foam replacement for Index unlike VIVE. I have a leftover VIVE one, I wonder if I could force it to smush into the Index? Or does it not have velcro, I guess... lame if so.

Wonder how hard it would be to glue on some velcro then...

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

-I don’t know how the hell there is no button to activate the pass-through cameras!

Unless it’s different for the Quest, there should be an option in the Oculus “experimental” menu to make double-clicking the oculus button a shortcut for just showing you the passthrough.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Sticky back velcro, Just shove some on. Worst case you peel it off.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ooh, lets trace our lineage of depth perception devices

My friends Virtual Boy->3DS->New 3DS->Monoculus Rift->Oculus Rift

I'm gonna go pick up an HP WMR in a few minutes to make a portable beat saber rig :woop:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Luneshot posted:

Unless it’s different for the Quest, there should be an option in the Oculus “experimental” menu to make double-clicking the oculus button a shortcut for just showing you the passthrough.

Not on the Quest, unfortunately. There's not really that much overlap between the desktop and mobile versions of their software.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ooh, lets trace our lineage of depth perception devices

My friends Virtual Boy->3DS->New 3DS->Monoculus Rift->Oculus Rift

I'm gonna go pick up an HP WMR in a few minutes to make a portable beat saber rig :woop:

I gave that HP headset to my brother after I got a vive. I miss those controllers; they're not the comfiest but they're light as hell and makes beat saber quite a bit easier IMO (if you're not chasing expert plus custom weeaboo top 10 leaderboard positions)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Index arrives Wednesday :neckbeard: Gonna be a fun upgrade, I didn't realize how long I've had the VIVE, time flies.

Virtual Boy -> DK1 -> DK2 -> VIVE -> Index

Is there any way to get a leather face cover for the Index? I checked vrcover but they only have a foam replacement for Index unlike VIVE. I have a leftover VIVE one, I wonder if I could force it to smush into the Index? Or does it not have velcro, I guess... lame if so.

You don't need a vrcover for an Index, the facial interface is already this ridiculously plush fabric that's non absorbant and anti bacterial. Its way more comfortable than my Vive vrcovers and just as easy to keep clean

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

homeless snail posted:

You don't need a vrcover for an Index, the facial interface is already this ridiculously plush fabric that's non absorbant and anti bacterial. Its way more comfortable than my Vive vrcovers and just as easy to keep clean

This.
The index facial interface is so insanely comfy and holds up to smelling fresh until you start to tear the outer fabric layer. Mine started doing this a few weeks ago and sometimes it smells funky at the end of a beat saber stream but doesn’t smell bad the next time I use it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Penpal posted:

I gave that HP headset to my brother after I got a vive. I miss those controllers; they're not the comfiest but they're light as hell and makes beat saber quite a bit easier IMO (if you're not chasing expert plus custom weeaboo top 10 leaderboard positions)

I'm making the portable rig to bring to a friends house for his bi-monthly gaming party, so it will be a bunch of people who have never put a headset on in their lives having a blast on easy mode, which the WMR is more than up to the task of

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Turin Turambar posted:

-It’s really important how the device rest on your face and how it’s adjusted to your head, as it affects both comfort and potentially visual clarity.
-I wish the battery would be longer. Not like “I wish it would be twice as long!”, I know that cannot be done easily, but I wish it was at least 20% longer. Sometimes I think “is it already this low!?”

You might want to consider picking up one of those portable battery packs/chargers. Its a pretty common thing people have done, you take one of those, strap it to the rear of the headset with some velcro or something and plug it in, greatly increasing the battery life. It also has the bonus of distributing the weight of the headset more evenly.

Turin Turambar posted:

This functionality is on the desktop (which means when using link you shoudl be able to double tap the oculus button to activate it on demand), but they've said they're adding it on demand to the quest as well, they just haven't implemented it yet. Might see it in one of the next few updates.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Turin Turambar posted:

I agree, the Quest only lasts like 2-3 hours which is kind of a bummer. Though I got a power brick and a cell phone holder to clip on the back, and now it's more comfortable and also has an 8+ hour battery life which is awesome.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I just bought a Vive Wireless Adapter, what is the recommended battery pack to pick up for it?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
For goons usign a power bank with the Quest, do you velcro it along the horizontal or vertical strap on the back? Also how large of a power bank are we talking (measures/weight and mAh)? The Quest weights only 100g more than the CV1 apparently, so I guess the problem is mostly with the weight being lopsided instead of being evenly distributed. I don't want to overdo it with an oversized bank and have the weight be shifted back instead of front.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

It would be great, since my phone is already paired with the headset, if I could see/respond to texts/calls while on my oculus quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

That Italian Guy posted:

For goons usign a power bank with the Quest, do you velcro it along the horizontal or vertical strap on the back? Also how large of a power bank are we talking (measures/weight and mAh)? The Quest weights only 100g more than the CV1 apparently, so I guess the problem is mostly with the weight being lopsided instead of being evenly distributed. I don't want to overdo it with an oversized bank and have the weight be shifted back instead of front.

I leave it attached like this whether I plug in the power cord or not