Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fallom posted:

Google can’t even coordinate with itself so I would not be surprised if they didn’t work with developers to help them understand and work with the constraints of the platform. Launches are supposed to be a team effort.

If they aren't providing financial assistance to developers to offset the cost of that work then we're gonna need to accelerate the death countdown. They have a new platform with extremely limited audience, expecting the developers to be the ones who will do all the heavy lifting to make it competitive is crazy.

"we give freedom" lol

Freedom isn't free, pal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i just want to say gmail is like noticeably slower than it was for me like 4 years ago. if i use the phone app and mark an email unread it almost never takes on the first attempt

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Google also once ran over my grandmother with a datacenter.. and their search sucks, and FUuuck if their e-mail isn't just a bunch of spam coming into my spam mailbox.
The pixel 4 isn't a good phone, it barealy is an upgrade to the 3
And stadia Suuuuucks balls, it's okay at best and inconsistent. People who spent money on any of this is stupid.
Back to hotmail, DuckDuckGo and Apple for me.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
1453 days left.

Will Stadia outlast its brothers?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

tater_salad posted:

The Nexus line survived for 8 phone models and 5 years. Pixel is currently at 5 models and 3 years but they have started cutting features...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

tater_salad posted:

Outlook is easier to use for me, DuckDuckGo is less "we think we know what you're trying to search for" and so it produces results better, and Apple isn't truly privacy-conscious but it is infinitely more privacy-conscious than Google.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Lowen SoDium posted:

And finally, the older voice control Google Now on Android might have had less functionality but it was more consistent in its actions. I could ask it to play a specific song or send a hangouts message to a specific person and it would do exactly what I wanted 99% of the time. The newer Google Assistant probably gets it wrong or just acts like it doesn't know what I want at least 1/4 of the time so I never use it anymore.

glad to see it finally reach feature parity with Siri

thats sort of the issue with all of these future technologies. they have traded reliability for convenience, and a lot of people still want reliability. that's why i still plug in my loving controller and use ethernet and corded charging. worse, it's not just that they're unreliable, it's that (like stadia) the experience can be vastly different from hour to hour and location to location.

yeah "ok google" or "hey siri" are neat but the first time they fail and leave you sitting on the "What did you want to say?" screen while you're driving you never want to use them again.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tater_salad posted:

Google also once ran over my grandmother with a datacenter.. and their search sucks, and FUuuck if their e-mail isn't just a bunch of spam coming into my spam mailbox.
And stadia Suuuuucks balls, it's okay at best and inconsistent. People who spent money on any of this is stupid.

I love GOogle

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Klyith posted:

If they aren't providing financial assistance to developers to offset the cost of that work then we're gonna need to accelerate the death countdown. They have a new platform with extremely limited audience, expecting the developers to be the ones who will do all the heavy lifting to make it competitive is crazy.

"we give freedom" lol

Freedom isn't free, pal.

This is the same rear end in a top hat that hosed 2 previous console launches. What do you think he's doing?

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 25, 2019

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

repiv posted:

google is throwing the game developers under the bus for not meeting the 4k/60fps promise that google made

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1198968290347036672

In other words the third-parties don’t have the confidence in Stadia to make the effort to make their games 4K/60 on it.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

mikemil828 posted:

In other words the third-parties don’t have the confidence in Stadia to make the effort to make their games 4K/60 on it.

Which is exactly the correct attitude.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I wouldn't want to try to optimize my game to run at 4K/60 on a Vega56 running Vulkan either.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Stadia will be fine.

It doesn't deserve to be fine but based off of the mouth breathing idiots in this thread; it's a really low bar to satisfy the consumer

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

American McGay posted:

I wouldn't want to try to optimize my game to run at 4K/60 on a Vega56 running Vulkan either.

I mean, getting better at working on AMD arches on VK is gonna be important if the rumors that the PS5 will support that API are accurate, but with the extra bullshit whatever perversions of the Linux codeline were needed to make it run something streaming... gently caress, that won't be fun.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
In some parallel universe -
Google makes Stadia included with a subscription to Youtube Red.
Games are free / available for a large discount relative to box price.
Easy to stream etc. even just playing in a web browser.

I'm not the target market for this service - but it does seem like in the future with some changes, something like this could be successful.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Cavauro posted:

I love GOogle

Same, and if I am yelling at stadia it's because I really love goOgle and I am doing it for their own benefit!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

After dinking around with it a bit this weekend, going to just return my unopened Founders box as really there is no comparison to the quality of playing on my local hardware or streaming from my local hardware to nearly any other device I own. Parsec/Steam Streaming works relatively the same streaming quality, with vastly higher game visual quality because my PC isn't a potato. I don't need 4K as my only device with a 4K screen is my laptop currently (and it can still push that somewhat with it's 1070), but who cares about 4K if the games visuals are turned down to medium for everything else?

I thought it would be interesting to see early on as some of Googles pet projects can be interesting at least, but Stadia provides nothing of value to me currently though that does not mean it doesn't provide value to someone who may have no or little/old gaming hardware at home and wants to play the "latest" stuff on the go (we assume it will get better a little before it eventually dies right?)

If you want something of value that gives you games for ~$10-12 a month, and have a reasonably ok PC, better to subscribe to the Humble Monthly Bundle before December to lock in the Humble Classic plan before they change that. At least for that price you get a solid collection of games monthly you get to keep and can actually play forever.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mozi posted:

In some parallel universe -
Google makes Stadia included with a subscription to Youtube Red.
Games are free / available for a large discount relative to box price.
Easy to stream etc. even just playing in a web browser.

I'm not the target market for this service - but it does seem like in the future with some changes, something like this could be successful.
Yeah that's why it's all the more funny that they completely botched it with the teraflops 4K messaging from the very beginning.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have Google Fi because it's cheap and reliable but also because I'm too lazy and stupid to find a better offer.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I could see them having a sort of in between sub added to their Youtube Red/TV sub. Like more Cable plans now that tie Voice/Data/TV together Google could do TV/Music/Gaming as a bundle sub or something. (If they were smart...)

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

Stadia will be fine.

It doesn't deserve to be fine but based off of the mouth breathing idiots in this thread; it's a really low bar to satisfy the consumer

Most of the Stadia subreddit is pretty critical right now and if you can't please them even you're probably pretty doomed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Thing is even if Google do get this together, they have maybe 3-4 months before Microsoft puts xCloud to public and if that's just part of Game Pass as they've hinted at then Stadia gets destroyed.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The people saying that Stadia should have been left to cook for a few more months aren't wrong. They even had some focus group and early testing that got to keep AC:O months ago that should have easily been able to let them know it wasn't ready for prime time. The rush to be out before the Christmas season was probably its main downfall that some exec just had to hold the team too and well, here we are.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Nice meltdown

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Feels like they were just trying to launch before xCloud. I doubt any kid was gonna put a founder's edition on their Christmas list.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Glenn Quebec posted:

Stadia will be fine.

Stadia will be fine until Microsoft Project xCloud comes out and then it will straight up dead in the water:

https://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-project-xcloud-xbox-google-stadia-streaming-comparison-cloud-gaming-2019-11

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
It'll be interesting to see how xCloud's tech compares to Stadia. The value prop looks like it might be better. My impression was that they were significantly behind in video quality / latency (thus the panicked announcement after Stadia's announcement, closed betas as the only venue to see xCloud so far, etc).

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

When you go to Staples tell the people working there about stadia ( because they had no idea )

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

dex_sda posted:

Nice meltdown

hows it a meltdown, tiz how life happens man. One of their autonomous cars hit me grandmammy

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

This is apparently just some random guy that went to a Staples and decided to inform the employees how great Stadia is.

Sign says Microsoft Surface, reddit post says $200 chromebook. That looks like a surface to me. I'm going to guess by thinking employees would give one poo poo about how much product they sell, it's some kid who bought into all the hype. Adults don't do this poo poo, do they? Oh god they do don't they.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

everyone then stood up and clapped

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

EdEddnEddy posted:

The people saying that Stadia should have been left to cook for a few more months aren't wrong. They even had some focus group and early testing that got to keep AC:O months ago that should have easily been able to let them know it wasn't ready for prime time. The rush to be out before the Christmas season was probably its main downfall that some exec just had to hold the team too and well, here we are.

I was in that test and it worked well.

The problem isnt in streaming to people with fiber or the underlying tech, it's that they completely hosed up the pricing, positioning & messaging, made a mess of the hardware launch, and massively over estimated how many people had the right internet for this. And including a fighting game in the incredibly thin launch lineup.
It probably should've been left to cook a bit longer, but only so that they could sort out their internal messaging, get a stronger launch lineup, do a private beta with NDA's etc. That was set in motion a long time ago though, and with sales low internal spending will be frozen.

The project stream test became an echo chamber - if it didnt work for people, they didnt use it. the ones that logged in every few days and filled out repeated surveys as they tweaked the compression and poo poo already had good enough connections. I wanted stadia to do well and streaming works for me, but now i'm holding out to decide if I sign up to xcloud or geforcenow.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 25, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Scott Forstall posted:

everyone then stood up and clapped

not before you could hear a pin drop when talkign to the staff at freekin staples.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

repiv posted:

google is throwing the game developers under the bus for not meeting the 4k/60fps promise that google made

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1198968290347036672

Lol imagine if MS or Sony released a console that had all of its launch games run like poo poo, and their response was "We dunno, they all must be lovely at making games, our hardware rules."

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Psychologist here, and I've been putting a lot of thought into some potential reasons we see such reactive anger in general gaming spaces toward the core idea of Stadia.

I think even all of us that are currently playing Stadia, enjoy it and are hopeful for the future of recognize that given the small games library, the lack of a system selling exclusive, required subscription/hardware purchase and few big "wow" diffentiating features at launch, Google should have perhaps frame this as early access.

But the amount of anger and statements like, "I hope this dies a quick death" don't seem to reflect disappointment, but rather anger and fear.

Fear and anger are usually reserved for when something is experienced as a threat. Now why would gamers experience Stadia as a threat? Recall the general reaction to the Xbox One when it was stated it was moving to Digital Only and thus people wouldn't be able to buy or sell used games? PS4 ate their lunch by gleefully sticking to physical media.

I think it's similar with Stadia. Gamers (in general) are happy with the current structure of new home consoles every few years and sequels with higher resolution, owning and collecting physical media and simply paying a single fee to get access.

Google comes in as a completely new player and says, "No, what's better is paying for access to a cloud game, and instead of paying a single cost for your 4K console, you pay a subscription. Also if your internet goes out or is slow you can't play". Plus the fears around things in the cloud "disappearing" if Google pulls the plug, whereas there's a physical console and disc to make you feel more stability. It's the same psychological safety that's provided by a company having their server in their closet rather than Google data centers and feeling it's less vulnerable and more reliable, when the reverse is actually true.

We see it as an alternative. They see it as a push to change the norms of the industry in a direction that they don't like and threatens the way they currently enjoy playing their games.

Not everyone likes innovation, especially when it involves losing something you're used to. I think it's useful to try to understand peoples' hesitation around new approaches if you want them to adopt it (Steve Jobs was great at this). That's why Xcloud is getting a lot more positive attention. It's not asking you to give up anything, keep things exactly the way they are with your current games, but there's an option added on to play in the cloud.

What do you all think?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I hate and fear your post

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Source your quotes.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'm angry at it because Google clearly lied about everything and it was obvious that it was lies. "will run Read Dead at 4k60" was so obviously a lie that if it happened I would suspect they had a time machine. It's the cycle of promise the moon deliver some rocks, say they are from the moon, after people test them and find out they are actually from California they step back and claim moon rocks are coming these California rocks are almost as good!

Then everyone forgets that you can get California rocks already and for less, and the service only exists with the promise of moon rocks and they originally promised the entire loving moon.

The moon is 4k60 on everything moon rocks are gaming on everything, and California rocks are 1080p gaming.

And this entire thing was pretty obvious before launch that this is exactly how it was going to preform. I'm impressed that it works as well as it does, but it's still a complete failure compared to what they promised. If they had said exactly what the product was and didn't completely bullshit everyone I probably wouldn't even be in this drat thread making fun of the product.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

leftist heap posted:

I've been putting a lot of thought into some potential reasons we see such reactive anger in general gaming spaces toward the core idea of Stadia.

lol. I need a link to the source, because that's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
- google is inherently threatening if you know anything about it, and video gaming is already ground zero for the death throes of capitalism
- it is such an obviously, inherently bad value proposition that it insults consumers' intelligence on its face
- the "launch" is a comedic shitshow of the sort we usually see with first time Kickstarters, not bajillion-dollar corporations

i don't need a phd in rocket psychiatry to figure out why people are a bit offended.

e: lol found it https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/e1l9j4/why_many_gamers_hate_stadia/