Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

You might want to consider picking up one of those portable battery packs/chargers. Its a pretty common thing people have done, you take one of those, strap it to the rear of the headset with some velcro or something and plug it in, greatly increasing the battery life. It also has the bonus of distributing the weight of the headset more evenly.

Hellsau posted:

I agree, the Quest only lasts like 2-3 hours which is kind of a bummer. Though I got a power brick and a cell phone holder to clip on the back, and now it's more comfortable and also has an 8+ hour battery life which is awesome.

I investigated a bit and decided to do this setup, as it seems easy to do and clean (there are some monstrosities out there):

(taken from Reddit)

I ordered the velcro and a 10k battery from Amazon a minute ago. I chose a battery which was small and particularly narrow (only 50mm width) and with well rounded edges, because I feel that way I will barely notice on the back of my head

Only 170g won't be a 1:1 counterweight to the Quest, but it should help on moving the balance to the back a bit, right? Quest is 570g, so if it at least serves to reduce the 'effective weight' to 400g, maybe that's enough to make it more comfortable.

I doubt I'm going to make Quest sessions of 2.5 hours in one sitting, but some days I may use it once by morning and once by evening, or maybe afternoon and by the night, and two sessions is a bit much with a single charge (I don't like to drain batteries beyond 10-13%!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I almost never break out my VR stuff anymore, and there's really two reasons.

One, the cable is a huge headache. Taking it out, putting it away, getting it twisted, getting it tangled on things.

Two, basically none of the genres I regularly play have decent VR games because why would you bother putting them in VR, and why would I bother putting on a headset to play them if they did.

I also have a child and a cat, both of which make it unappealing, although my son absolutely love-love-loves Job simulator and uses the kit more than me. Which is probably not great for a four year old. Eh.

I love VR as a concept but I sort of feel it was a bad investment for me personally, and I just wish it wasn't such a hassle and I look forward to the days of wireless PC VR so much.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

One, the cable is a huge headache. Taking it out, putting it away, getting it twisted, getting it tangled on things.

Two, basically none of the genres I regularly play have decent VR games because why would you bother putting them in VR, and why would I bother putting on a headset to play them if they did.

I also have a child and a cat, both of which make it unappealing, although my son absolutely love-love-loves Job simulator and uses the kit more than me. Which is probably not great for a four year old. Eh.

I love VR as a concept but I sort of feel it was a bad investment for me personally, and I just wish it wasn't such a hassle and I look forward to the days of wireless PC VR so much.

I was the same way with my PS4VR.

The quest changed that. Now the VR gets used every day. By me, and the kids.

You literally just put it on and start playing anywhere.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

I was thinking about this and I realized this is the same for every console I have - my PS4 is essentially a Rocket League machine 95% of the time, even though my PS4 library is comically long. My Xbox is mainly used to play Gears with my buds. I think this is just the nature of gaming as an adult.

There's a few games that keeps the Quest on my desk - Poker, Thrill of the Fight boxing, Beat Saber. But I still like going in and trying the new hot VR game or demo just because, like you, I love VR as a concept.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

spacetoaster posted:

I was the same way with my PS4VR.

The quest changed that. Now the VR gets used every day. By me, and the kids.

You literally just put it on and start playing anywhere.

How does the Quest compare with your PS4VR? Do you feel like it is worth getting if you already have a PS4VR?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Out of interest, what genres do you like? There's definitely still a long way to go for the medium in terms of content but I feel like there's been a lot of progress over the past year.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Smoking_Dragon posted:

How does the Quest compare with your PS4VR? Do you feel like it is worth getting if you already have a PS4VR?

If you've got the 400 dollars, yes. Absolutely.

The PS4VR has a big rear end cable that runs to the box and you have to have a camera pointing at you. Also, I've got kids, and the PS4 is never available for VR.

The quest sits in it's case on an end table and all you've got to do is put it on and you're playing games. No wires, no cameras, no hassle. I love it.

It's also not bad for watching youtube, amazon prime, or netflix. It's actually pretty good for watching movies.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Penpal posted:

I just bought a Vive Wireless Adapter, what is the recommended battery pack to pick up for it?

I'm using https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-20100mAh-Portable-Compatible/dp/B01LQ81QR0/ lasts about 5 hours and fits the holster that comes with the kit.

Check if you can get it cheaper, it's pretty expensive on amazon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How are the wmr (specifically the HP) halo strap things supposed to sit on your head? I’m finding the sweet spot is way smaller than on the Rift and keeping it in the sweet spot is tough.

I don’t think it will be replacing my Rift despite the resolution bump, but as a second hmd I think it will be fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GlyphGryph posted:

This was an issue for me for awhile. Now I bought a desk mount and leave the HMD plugged in with the cable tucked next to it. I can just pick it up and put it on, and then sit it back down, out of the way.

Do that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How are the wmr (specifically the HP) halo strap things supposed to sit on your head? I’m finding the sweet spot is way smaller than on the Rift and keeping it in the sweet spot is tough.

I don’t think it will be replacing my Rift despite the resolution bump, but as a second hmd I think it will be fine.

I've warned people many times, I've seen firsthand all the WMR have incredibly lovely sweet spots, every single model including the Odyssey+

There's no actual way to make them sit on your head correctly without cranking the halo strap tighter than you'd want it (it might stay put better if you're completely bald but it'll slide around if you have any hair).

Maybe take a cue from the Quest mods... hack a top-strap on to it, and put a counterweight on the back.

Why would you get WMR when you have an OG Rift? It's not really a "resolution bump" if everything outside the middle 30% is a blurry mess.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I got a Quest after my PSVR and it's a generational leap. Went back to the PSVR for Audica and ooooof, that FOV.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

I've warned people many times, I've seen firsthand all the WMR have incredibly lovely sweet spots, every single model including the Odyssey+

There's no actual way to make them sit on your head correctly without cranking the halo strap tighter than you'd want it (it might stay put better if you're completely bald but it'll slide around if you have any hair).

Maybe take a cue from the Quest mods... hack a top-strap on to it, and put a counterweight on the back.

Why would you get WMR when you have an OG Rift? It's not really a "resolution bump" if everything outside the middle 30% is a blurry mess.

My OG Rift sensors are bolted to my projector screen, which itself is screwed to the wall. I wanted something cheap that I could cart around with a mini desktop I have. Barring the purchase price of a quest, this was the next best thing at $100 with controllers

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'm a day 1 owner, while my use has declined, I'm still buying new titles, and the Quest gets used at least 2-3 times a week. It lives next to my end table and gets charged up when my phone isn't charging.

repiv posted:

PSA: Oculus Black Friday deals are going live in the UK, the Oculus store, Amazon and Currys all have the Rift S for £350.

No discounts on the Quest from what I've seen.

I don't have hard numbers, but Facebook/Oculus are almost certainly taking a loss on every unit sold, plus they're selling like hotcakes, it would be unwise to sell them at a discount. It has 2017 halo phone CPU/GPU + hundreds of millions of dollars in R&D to make up for

Typically crap sold for black Friday is either

1) high margin to begin with
2) last year's model/overstock
3) failed product they're trying to unload before officially discontinuing support on January 1
4) failing product where taking an additional loss is a hail Mary at trying to generate interest in the product before the company goes under/division gets canned

You'll note that the Go has been on sale multiple times this year. The Quest 1 probably won't go on sale until 3 months before the Quest S is announced

Veotax
May 16, 2006

So I sold my CV1 at the start of the year because:
I was moving somewhere without the space to do VR,
needed the cash,
never used it because I couldn't leave it set up all the time,
had tracking issues since I guess my PC didn't have the USB bandwidth for three USB3 things
was frustrated because nothing was really coming out that I found worth the time to set up the headset for

With the announcement of HL Alyx I've done some thinking and realised I actually have an alright amount of space if I move some poo poo when I want to use it.

I'm thinking about getting back into VR, since the Oculus headsets are inside-out now that solves my problems with setting it up and having to plug in a bunch of cameras.

I'm looking at the Rift S, but is there any reason to look at the Quest if I have no plans to ever use it as a portable?

Also, am I right in thinking that the cable for the S is longer than the CV1? Because that thing was way too short for my old setup

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I'm a day 1 owner, while my use has declined, I'm still buying new titles, and the Quest gets used at least 2-3 times a week. It lives next to my end table and gets charged up when my phone isn't charging.

I don't have hard numbers, but Facebook/Oculus are almost certainly taking a loss on every unit sold, plus they're selling like hotcakes, it would be unwise to sell them at a discount. It has 2017 halo phone CPU/GPU + hundreds of millions of dollars in R&D to make up for

Typically crap sold for black Friday is either

1) high margin to begin with
2) last year's model/overstock
3) failed product they're trying to unload before officially discontinuing support on January 1
4) failing product where taking an additional loss is a hail Mary at trying to generate interest in the product before the company goes under/division gets canned

You'll note that the Go has been on sale multiple times this year. The Quest 1 probably won't go on sale until 3 months before the Quest S is announced

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a price cut at some point for the Quest if it gets cheaper to produce. I imagine they'd really, REALLY want to hit the ~$250 price point where it basically becomes an impulse buy

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

If anyone is looking for an easy way to mount the Index base stations (and anything else 1/4in threaded) up high without putting holes in the walls, this was my solution:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QK87KT6 + https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PICAE4C

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have no idea about that set specifically but there's two ways you can wear the wmr halo straps in general. One is the way with it like on your forehead at the front and then half way down the back of your head and tight, which I think is the proper way. But the other way is to wear the halo more like a crown on the top of your head.

If it has velcro padding like the other sets like the lenovo, consider swapping the front and back pads. Tends to be more comfortable and puts your eyes closer to the lenses which helps. Probably not a great idea for glasses wearers.

Also you probably want to remove the headphone cable from the loop on the side, so only the usb/hdmi cable is in that loop so that it has some slack when taking it off.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Got a Quest, a Quest travel case, a 3m long cable that should work for Link according to Reddit, the recomended Anker 10000 PD battery pack, a 30cm USB-C to right angle USB-C cable and I'm getting this power bank holder 3D printed from a friend. Everything (aside from the power bank and maybe the 3d printed thing) should arrive in a couple of days.

I am ready :getin:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

Videogame hardware's traditionally been loss leader that's recouped in software sales, so it wouldn't be surprising. Farming metadata off users once Facebook Horizon launches will certainly help too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I haven't purchased a Quest yet but I am strongly considering blowing some portion of my Christmas bonus on one. My main concern is that I'm a fat sweaty pig, and I had some, uh, issues when I borrowed a friend's Vive for a weekend. How do other fat, sweaty goons deal with this problem with the Quest? Are there replaceable/machine washable headbands or something? Public VR spots basically use like a toilet seat cover for the eye hole right?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Loss leader game consoles assume a healthy market for software. Oculus announced earlier that they were excited that they had sold even $40 million worth of software for the Quest which is... Low for a console

The snapdragon 835 SOC/cpu/gpu costs about $115 each, the hexagon dsp that's the crown jewel of the inside out tracking system, not sure but probably north of $50, probably closer to $75

Just those two chips + the circuit board is rapidly approaching $200

That doesn't include screen, lenses, battery, manufacturing, warehousing shipping marketing, the controllers, charger, cabl, active cooling system, 4gb ram, 64gb+ storage etc etc

You're getting a heck of a deal on the hardware at $399. The price will definitely come down over time, like it did with the Rift, but probably a lot of the manufacturing improvements that got the Rift cost down have already been rolled into the Quest so much of the low hanging fruit is already plucked.

Honestly I'm impressed they're selling it for under $500, three years ago I would not have guessed the Quest could be mfg for under $1000, let alone as general consumer products, not just Enterprise grade

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

explosivo posted:

I haven't purchased a Quest yet but I am strongly considering blowing some portion of my Christmas bonus on one. My main concern is that I'm a fat sweaty pig, and I had some, uh, issues when I borrowed a friend's Vive for a weekend. How do other fat, sweaty goons deal with this problem with the Quest? Are there replaceable/machine washable headbands or something? Public VR spots basically use like a toilet seat cover for the eye hole right?

There is a company, vrcovers that sells replaceable face covers for differnet headsets, made of different materials depending on what you're looking for. A lot of people swear by them.

If for some reason you do want disposable covers, for yourself or guests, or whatever, yes, you can get them as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Linhuipad-Sa...74730118&sr=8-6

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tom Guycot posted:

There is a company, vrcovers that sells replaceable face covers for differnet headsets, made of different materials depending on what you're looking for. A lot of people swear by them.

If for some reason you do want disposable covers, for yourself or guests, or whatever, yes, you can get them as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Linhuipad-Sa...74730118&sr=8-6

Those VR Covers look pretty nice, and not too bad pricewise either. I appreciate the info!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Decided to bring my Quest along with me visiting my parents for Thanksgiving. I knew my sisters would be into it big time and my dad would probably play with it a bit while my mom would find it overwhelming like all technical stuff. I'm happy to report that I was completely wrong and my mom hasn't been able to put the drat thing down since playing 'First Contact'. She was a bit confused at first but it was only because she didn't understand that the 'grip' buttons were on the side of the controllers, not the buttons on top. Ever since that 'clicked' for her she's been playing Beat Saber non-stop and can't seem to get enough of this thing. For someone who's generally tech averse and couldn't even handle playing Sonic the Hedgehog back in the day I think this is a huge testament for the potential VR has.

THAT BEING SAID

I have a lot of family coming over for Thanksgiving and I feel like this thing is gonna be a smash hit. The problem is one of my dick-head friends, I'm pretty sure who, decided to enter slurs over and over again on the Space Pirate Trainer leaderboard and I didn't notice until today. Looking around it seems like there's no way for me to wipe the board of this poo poo and I don't even know if totally clearing it off the machine and redownloading it over their meager remote-village DSL connection will even do it. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

That Italian Guy posted:

EDIT: this is weird, there is an Anker cable for sale on Amazon.co.uk, but it's not the correct model according to this breakdown on the recommended Anker model:

Seems to be the Powerline+, which is somehow supposed to have a lower data transfer rate than the regular Powerline model? Also it's 90cm long :v:

EDIT2: some rando on Reddit is saying this cable worked fine for him, and since it looks like he was running a series of different tests, I think it should be alright. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D7NNJ61/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

That Powerline+ is 480 Mbps, which is USB 2.0 speeds. Oculus will not let you use a USB 2.0 cable. It HAS to be USB 3.0 or better. That second link is a USB 3.1 cable, which will work.

Veotax posted:

I'm looking at the Rift S, but is there any reason to look at the Quest if I have no plans to ever use it as a portable?

Also, am I right in thinking that the cable for the S is longer than the CV1? Because that thing was way too short for my old setup

There are reasons to consider the Quest over the Rift S for PCVR uses. First, the Rift S requires a free DisplayPort connector. That could very well be an issue depending on what GPU you have and what monitors you are using. There is no DisplayPort to HDMI converter either, so you absolutely have to have that free DisplayPort slot.

Second, the Rift S has a fixed IPD of 63.5 mm while the Quest has a mechanical IPD slider. Having a mismatched IPD can commonly cause eye strain and headaches, but that is dependent on how far off your IPD is as well as how sensitive you are to that mismatch. There are people with 70 mm IPD who can use the Rift S just fine while there are people with 65 mm IPD who cannot. Yay biology.

Lastly, the Rift S requires a connection directly into your GPU. The Quest Link does not; it can be used with laptops with "switchable" graphics (assuming your laptop GPU is powerful enough). This is because the Quest Link uses your GPU hardware video encoder to essentially stream your game to the Quest headset. Instead of streaming to Twitch, it streams to the Quest. Of course, this means the image will be lower quality than the Rift S. But it is still better quality than the CV1.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Penpal posted:

I just bought a Vive Wireless Adapter, what is the recommended battery pack to pick up for it?

I use the HTC ones. I get 2.5 hours out of one if I top it up after its "Full" the first time. 2 hours 15 if not.

I realize theres other ones. My reasons for using the HTC ones.

1) They fit the 3D Printed parts for the adapter to be "ON" the headset. I really really hated the wire. I had to run it inside my shirt or I'd regularly clip it with controllers.

2) 2.5 hours is more than enough time until I should probably take a break and a swap takes a couple seconds if I'm mid game.

3) These batteries get pushed HARD. Hard to a point it can thermal throttle them and shut them down at times. Bigger batteries mean its running longer and potentially getting hotter. Its also heavier. Keep in mind if your house is cooled right, and its not super hot, you should never see one shut down while you're using it. I've had it happen once, and it was hot af in here. My concern with bigger batteries personally is just they are a bigger thing getting hot + Weight.

I'm not saying don't buy the bigger ones, or they are bad. But my reasoning for using the HTC ones is why I use them. I also got 2 initially with my setup and never needed more than 2 to run a stream for 8 hours. They charge super fast on QC3 so a 30ish min break + The time you take to kill the other, and its charged.

With all that said. Someone posted the anker one. Basically the requirement is QC3. Anything that sports that SHOULD work and not blow your headset up.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
More link issues.

It feels like this isn't as simple as a plug and play type of situation. Like in an ideal world I would love for it to jump into the Rift UI after I enable the link in the Quest. But instead after I enable the link it just hops back into the quest home screen. The Oculus app recognizes that it's plugged in, but when I try to run a game, I either get an infinite loading 3 dot screen, or I am just staring blankly at the Quest UI. When it works it works really well and I played two hours of Tetris Effect and enjoyed every minute of it. But I'll be damned if I am just struggling to get the thing to consistently connect on the first try and I am struggling to replicate what made the thing work in the first place. I'm wondering if it's the Amazon basics cable I got, but I hear of plenty of people where this performs as it should.

Edit: Is anyone else having any issues? Do you have to enable link every single time or does it just recognize it and swap over to the Rift UI as soon as you plug it in?

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 26, 2019

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

El Grillo posted:

Out of interest, what genres do you like? There's definitely still a long way to go for the medium in terms of content but I feel like there's been a lot of progress over the past year.

I'm currently playing Kingsway and X-Com and Katamari Damacy, prior to that my steam list we've got Steamworld Heist, Rain World, Westerado, This War of Mine.

My most hours on record is Battle Brothers, Xenonauts, Terraria, FTL, then Subnautica.

Of them, only Katamari would get any benefit from being in VR, I think. Subnautica I did play in VR for a while, but the support was not great and the hassle became too much, but I think a good VR implementation of it would have been amazing. But you got to go waaay down on my list of games to get to one where even a good VR implementation would be worth the hassle of putting the thing on.

The problem is I barely use 3d, forget VR.

And I'm not seeing a good VR strategy game coming out for a long time, if ever.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
How much would I be saving by building a vr-ready pc instead of buying pre-built? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm currently playing Kingsway and X-Com and Katamari Damacy, prior to that my steam list we've got Steamworld Heist, Rain World, Westerado, This War of Mine.

My most hours on record is Battle Brothers, Xenonauts, Terraria, FTL, then Subnautica.

Of them, only Katamari would get any benefit from being in VR, I think. Subnautica I did play in VR for a while, but the support was not great and the hassle became too much, but I think a good VR implementation of it would have been amazing. But you got to go waaay down on my list of games to get to one where even a good VR implementation would be worth the hassle of putting the thing on.

The problem is I barely use 3d, forget VR.

And I'm not seeing a good VR strategy game coming out for a long time, if ever.

No Mans Sky is the VR exploration game that Subnautica was trying to be

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Origami Dali posted:

How much would I be saving by building a vr-ready pc instead of buying pre-built? I have no idea what I'm doing.

"VR READY" is a fancy badge that tends to just carry a higher price tag on prebuilts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Origami Dali posted:

Probably a few hundo at least. This thread will help a lot: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903626

On the CPU side, AMD and Intel are mostly interchangeable for VR, but on the GPU side, Nvidia has a clear advantage over the Radeon cards for VR

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I think I might pick up a Quest in the near very near future. The Link stuff seems cool as hell and I already tried and returned the Rift S around launch due to my IPD being wide and not realizing until after purchase the mechanical adjustment was removed :psyduck:.

At least I got Half-Life:Alyx for free through the Steam Link/Controller and Mac support gently caress up from 2015. Never thought that would come in handy.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I think I'm getting close to the end of Rise of the Rotweiners after around 8-10 hours. Honey Hamlet done, 4/5 teleporters activated, finished most of the quests in Weinerton, the lake, and church. It's a hell of a lot of content considering it's just one submode. Just have to finish up Old Weinerton and then I think I'm ready for the endgame. The puking rotweiners can get hosed though. Those things will absolutely wreck you in two hits if you don't notice them sneaking up on you.

The rewards for the Weinterton quests are hilarious though considering the headache it takes to complete them. I don't know what's better, the gun store owner rewarding you with an impractical old-timey gatling gun and a picatinny railed knife for crawling through turret infested bases to get pacification squad guns, or the antique weapon dealer giving you his anime body pillow as a final reward.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 26, 2019

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

GlyphGryph posted:

I

You know, if you haven't tried it you should take a look at "from other suns". It's basically a copy of FTL in vr. Random each time, flying to the right to get home and outrun people chasing you. Random encounters along the way, shops, recruiting new crew, managing damage to your ship, combat is almost a copy of it, etc etc. The big difference is it's first person, so you control combat and navigation, ships systems etc from the bridge, but can walk down the hall to repair your shields personally if you want. If people beam over you can fight them off, beam over to their ship, or teleport down for away missions. Also has a sort of looter shooter aspect to the weapons where there randomised and lots of different types.

I'm not saying you'll necessarily like it because you like FTL, but it's also multiplayer, and I've had a blast with friends in a lot. It's worth taking a look at at least if you've never seen it.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Origami Dali posted:

Normally you can save a little bit, and a little bit more if you can port a copy of Windows 10 from your existing computer or :filez: it (which I'm too old and lazy to do anymore). Reusing other peripherals also brings the price down a little bit more, if you have good peripherals to reuse.

With Black Friday and holiday sales coming up though, there might be some deals on prebuilts. I bought my son a "VR-Ready" computer last December for ~$700 that would have been over $1000 to build from scratch.

The VR-Ready tag isn't a big deal though, most new gaming PCs would be VR-Ready by default unless they're really lovely.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's no real point in pirating Windows anymore, keys are a dime a dozen since they've just flat out allowed keys from Win 7 upwards.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I picked up a quest because uh, fuckit, and I picked up beat saber to go with it. A couple things I've learned so far, as someone who has never used VR before:

1: Getting the headset on right is actually a lot harder than it would seem. Might just start tying random stuff to the back of my strap to counterbalance this thing.
2: Do not use bluetooth headphones with it, it will render beat saber (and I'm guessing other stuff) totally unplayable.
3: I am getting a bit of queasiness, but generally only when I'm in menus. Once I started beat saber and got into the game, I did a good 10 songs without a break, no problem. I'm guessing the queasiness is probably related to needing new glasses and my headset still not feeling quite right. My old glasses are also only barely small enough to fit in it, but that's not a big deal.

I'm gonna stick with beat saber for awhile, since I feel like I would start projectile vomiting if I jumped right into something like stormlands, but it also doesn't feel like I'll never get there. Just gotta get used to it.

edit: oh and I wish the guardian had a ceiling option to it, I smacked my hand into my ceiling fan hard while doing some of the lightsaber training in vader.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I should probably add links to stores that sell those lens inserts to the OP, but I don't wear glasses so I know jack poo poo about all that. Anyone got any experience with them?