Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
Turkey loving sucks too OP
i dont give a gently caress OP im gonna watch football and drink till i cant see
ants on a log
good gravy
Canned cranberry sauce rules bitch!!!
Goku Racist Unkle drunk at dinner. Screaming about millennials.
View Results

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
One time when I was a kid my dad dragged my family to his boss's thanksgiving party because it was a business thing. The boss's wife made stuffing that was so soggy and lovely that it could have been strained out of the sink drain and tossed on a plate. I didn't eat it.

edit: good stuffing should be more firm than some kind of mish mash. Throw some chopped pecans and bell peppers in there, along with a dash of red pepper flakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I don’t really like stuffing or cranberry sauce... until they’re leftover, when I will absolutely house a sandwich of those+turkey+gravy.

A big dish of canned green beans with lovely fried onions on top is the absolute worst though.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
roast turkey really does mostly suck though. the dark meat is fine.

now, spiral cut ham, that the good stuff. gimme a buncha that and cheezy potatoes and were good

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Beets taste and smell loving putrid wtf, why is this even a discussion?

Goon food opinions are so gross.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Good post there, guy who somehow reached adulthood without understanding that people have different preferences for food and basically everything else.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
beets taste like bitter dirt to me. Apparently its a thing like with cilantro where there is a genetic component that makes one experience it differently than others

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Chinatown posted:

roast turkey really does mostly suck though. the dark meat is fine.

now, spiral cut ham, that the good stuff. gimme a buncha that and cheezy potatoes and were good

I’m sorry you’ve never had someone love you enough to brine & baste a bird for you. Liking Dark Meat is basically the meat version having the Cilantro soap gene.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Beets give you the sensations of making GBS threads blood with none of the consequences

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Dark meat is superior. It goes for all feathered animals that we eat.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Good post there, guy who somehow reached adulthood without understanding that people have different preferences for food and basically everything else.

Wrong

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sweet thursday posted:

Beets give you the sensations of making GBS threads blood with none of the consequences

I try to remember to leave a note by the toilet that says “you had beets last night”

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
We had a turducken one year and the turkey layer was so dry it was basically like eating chipped beef.

And marshmallows loving rule put them on everything, put them in the wine motherfucker.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
Looking at my plate and it's just different piles of mush.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I like all traditional thanksgiving foods, except one. I was allowed one “hate” food when I was little. It’s acorn squash with butter. Made me throw up smelling it almost. Looks, feels, tastes absolutely disgusting. Still today not allowed in the house.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Burt Sexual posted:

I like all traditional thanksgiving foods, except one. I was allowed one “hate” food when I was little. It’s acorn squash with butter. Made me throw up smelling it almost. Looks, feels, tastes absolutely disgusting. Still today not allowed in the house.

the only good squash is pumpkin in pie form

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
roasted beets are amazing

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

My mother loves creamed pearl onions and makes them every Thanksgiving and I'm pretty sure she is the only person that eats them as well.

They are gross.

Its just tiny gross onions in a bunch of butter and cream.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Burt Sexual posted:

Butternut is good if you make it with just a touch of sweetness rather than a bag of brown sugar like many folks do. When I make it I also let it simmer uncovered after mashing so most of the water evaporates out and you get a side dish with mashed potato consistency that doesn’t leak squash jizz all over the plate.

ihatechesspieces
Jan 2, 2013

Turkey. It's the worst poultry. Everytime I've eaten it at thanksgiving it's always dry and tasteless. I'm sure there are ways to make turkey taste awesome but my family apparently weren't in the know.
Like, give me a honey baked ham over turkey any day.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pussy Quipped posted:

My mother loves creamed pearl onions and makes them every Thanksgiving and I'm pretty sure she is the only person that eats them as well.

They are gross.

I’d try em

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Butternut is good if you make it with just a touch of sweetness rather than a bag of brown sugar like many folks do. When I make it I also let it simmer uncovered after mashing so most of the water evaporates out and you get a side dish with mashed potato consistency that doesn’t leak squash jizz all over the plate.

Mashing? She’d cut them in half and bake them like 6 hours. Stringy mush, brown sugar was no help to 10 yo Burt.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ihatechesspieces posted:

Turkey. It's the worst poultry. Everytime I've eaten it at thanksgiving it's always dry and tasteless. I'm sure there are ways to make turkey taste awesome but my family apparently weren't in the know.

Injections!

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

ihatechesspieces posted:

Brine, spatchcock and grill it, it's the only way

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

me your dad posted:

You spelled mini corndogs wrong.

drat, thank you for reminding me those exist.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Pussy Quipped posted:

They are gross.

This would be a good topping for something

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If your turkey game is lacking make up a tasty compound butter and pipe it between the meat and skin before you bake it. :boom: Nice juicy turkey.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Quinoa "Meatloaf"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

numberoneposter posted:

Quinoa "Meatloaf"

:lol:

When I was a young person my mom went through a health food/low carb kick. She told me she was going to make meatloaf one day and I was loving JAZZZED!! YES YES YES SOMETHING BAD FOR ME AND TASTY!!! I get to the dinner table and she informs me she made the meatloaf with ":downs: No bread products of any kind :downs:." It was literally a meat log. Like when you cut it it was like cutting off a bunch of over done hamburgers. I was...uh....upset.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

low carb gives you brain damage

i was doing a dinner thing and i made a proper lamb shepherds pie from scratch taken from a ramsay recipe, like its pretty loving good and all good ingredients

the other people brought frozen lasagna and proceeded to dump franks hot sauce all over my beautiful shepherds pie

i didnt so much mind that they brought frozen food while i made something from scratch, it was dumping franks red hot sauce on my food while she said "I PUT THAT poo poo ON EVERYTHING"

that was the last time i invited them over

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

terminal chillness posted:

Looking at my plate and it's just different piles of mush.

yeah basically

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

numberoneposter posted:

low carb gives you brain damage

i was doing a dinner thing and i made a proper lamb shepherds pie from scratch taken from a ramsay recipe, like its pretty loving good and all good ingredients

the other people brought frozen lasagna and proceeded to dump franks hot sauce all over my beautiful shepherds pie

i didnt so much mind that they brought frozen food while i made something from scratch, it was dumping franks red hot sauce on my food while she said "I PUT THAT poo poo ON EVERYTHING"

that was the last time i invited them over

Dude Frank's is good though, and I bet it is great on your meat pie.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Frank's is good and pretty much all hot sauces are good but dumping it on something somebody prepared for you is just insulting.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Today I found out that putting hotsauce on homemade food is insulting.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

it was the way they just dumped the hot sauce and the context of them bringing frozen food and her saying like a dumbass "I PUT THAT poo poo ON EVERYTHING!!!!" without even trying it

like go ahead, put some hot sauce on the there but to make a make a big deal about it and meanwhile your food is only palatable WITH hot sauce, fool me once

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

The Dregs posted:

Today I found out that putting hotsauce on homemade food is insulting.

Youre supposed to try the food as served first.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Burt Sexual posted:

I’d try em

Mashing? She’d cut them in half and bake them like 6 hours. Stringy mush, brown sugar was no help to 10 yo Burt.

Shameful. Sounds like my mom though. No concept of proper cooking time or seasoning. Her idea of salting a dish was looking at the shaker while she stirred the pot.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

The Dregs posted:

Dark meat is superior. It goes for all feathered animals that we eat.

This is the truth.

This one speaks truth and wisdom.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I mean I know cottage cheese needs some salt and pepper, I don’t know what someone’s hand made stuff needs or doesn’t. I’m w you op, try it first.

E Chinatown beaten :mad:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Shameful. Sounds like my mom though. No concept of proper cooking time or seasoning. Her idea of salting a dish was looking at the shaker while she stirred the pot.

Ironically later in life she took several trips to Italy and learned how to cook some of the best poo poo ever. We don’t discuss squash timeframe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Space Race Riot posted:

Brine, spatchcock and grill it, it's the only way

I bought a decent sized charcoal grill this year with an offset smoker. I think if I put the spatchcocked halves next to each other lengthwise I could fit a turkey in there. Probably be a bitch keeping the temp up long enough though.