Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Saw four red dots in a town I was entering. Nodded politely to one of them, then they shot me and rode on. They were all kitted out with bare chests, skin pants and long hair. Killer was called Nightwolf-something.

fuf posted:

Does anyone have a link to recommended settings for a GTX 1070? Should I just follow this image?

Use this as a base. You can probably bump up some of the settings significantly.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

SplitSoul posted:

Saw four red dots in a town I was entering. Nodded politely to one of them, then they shot me and rode on. They were all kitted out with bare chests, skin pants and long hair. Killer was called Nightwolf-something.

Use this as a base. You can probably bump up some of the settings significantly.

Ah yeah nice thank you, I knew I'd seen something like that.

I guess the issue is I dunno which settings to bump to get the best return. I love digital foundry but I dunno if I can bring myself to watch their full 30 min video or whatever.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You've identified the wrong issue.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
New patch just downloaded for me. Last patch increased my CTD rate so here's hoping this one improves it a bit.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

fuf posted:

Ah yeah nice thank you, I knew I'd seen something like that.

I guess the issue is I dunno which settings to bump to get the best return. I love digital foundry but I dunno if I can bring myself to watch their full 30 min video or whatever.

Which shouldn't be an issue because those images are from Hardware Unboxed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=385eG1IEZMU - I thought their settings made pretty good choices. I get like 55fps average (benchmark) on a gtx1070 and 6600

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I've got to say, I thought people were gonna be degenerates about making a native character but they actually are rather respectful about it. I didn't do a deep dive though...

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hell yeah, revenge for Eagle Flies

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

The graphic options in this game are driving me crazy. With black friday coming or cyber monday whatever; what's my weakest link with this (methinks my ram might be an issue.):

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($354.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.36 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($839.90 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Tower 900 ATX Full Tower Case ($249.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 RX 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus ROG Strix XG35VQ 35.0" 3440x1440 100 Hz Monitor ($699.99 @ Amazon)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
No idea how true that is, but I've seen the argument that (if you want to play mutlipat games) you should go with 8 cores these days to be on par with the next console gen.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

So six cores isn't enough anymore. I gotcha. AMD is the way to go now, right? What's the top end model?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Why not the i7 9700K?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'm not opposed to keeping with Intel. That's not an awful price, 360ish.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm not opposed to keeping with Intel. That's not an awful price, 360ish.

Intel still has AMD beaten on most gaming benchmarks and on single core for core power. Also what's up with that GTX 1080? It's been superseded by now. Get a 2070 Super

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

1080 is just what I own and I feel like I bought a new graphics card at a bad time and am reticent to spend on a new one . . . . Yet.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

1080 is just what I own and I feel like I bought a new graphics card at a bad time and am reticent to spend on a new one . . . . Yet.

Oh. that's fine. I thought this was a new build. Well you can never have enough ram. And yeah, check out those optimized settings at the top of the page.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Wait for the next line of Nvidias at least, they're due out early 2020. Seems like a fine machine otherwise? Are you playing in 4K or something?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

No, not playing 4k and I have my CPU OC'd to 4.7 but I've followed the optimizations recommended and I'm getting 50fps max with a low of 35 and when I fiddle with the settings I'm not getting worthwhile returns.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Fishstick posted:

It's a one-off cost. If you change you can always change back to it for free later, assuming you didnt delete your character or anything. This is the case for gun cosmetics and such too.

Fantastic, thanks. The other hairstyles don't work that way, but they don't cost gold.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Verified: melee weapons are all there, just swap with ammo-selection keys. Gonna axe you politely to stop insulting my legendary bison/buck getup now...

Surprise! A simple sheep-rustling mission ends in shooting up/through an entire town - I should have just gone and seen what Micah wanted, probably end up with roughly the same result but I'd've *expected* it.

But, now that I have the Rolling Block, I double-challenged with the 660-foot shot plus kill however many enemies without dismounting, with one quick* trip to Hanging Dog.

* - having random rider kite a cougar onto me while I was chasing a snake, running into six more loving snakes along the road north, and checking out a quiet little cabin (with snake #6 outside) vie front door entry OH gently caress GRIZZLY ALREADY MADE A BACK DOOR ENTRY :ese:. Sniping assholes was much more relaxing.

Glitch with the mail-off-critters hunting request side job: checklist showed that I had everything, but I hadn't gotten a possum yet. Refused to let me mail off my collection of drippy, fly-infested bad meat until I did so, but eventually completed. Check your actual inventory to be sure you have everything.

Not a glitch but pissing me off: Pearson and the Trapper will hold needed critter parts until time to craft, so they can be donated/sold. *The Fence does not work this way!* Now i gotta find more gold/silver earrings and a chain bracelet...

PC exclusive Cat Eye trinket found (20% bonus duration to all potions).

Preorder? treasure hunt completed. Six gold bars :whatup:. So, if you can survive the trip down to St Denis, you can have $3500 (treasure plus extra bar at Limpany) about as soon as you finish the bar fight in Valentine... too bad everything worth buying is still locked at that point.

Note: set up camp, cooked a bunch of food and ammo, left the fire... and four bounty hunters with shotguns were waiting. :smith: Might want to wait 'til you're back to gang camp, if you have a bounty.

Stupid question time: So, I equip my bandanna or mask, and yet somehow Arthur Morgan still gets ID'd when criming. Is it only for certain crimes, storyline poo poo, or what? I have robberies, assaults and murders to do, most of which don't pay enough to offset the bounty...

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Ygolonac posted:

Stupid question time: So, I equip my bandanna or mask, and yet somehow Arthur Morgan still gets ID'd when criming. Is it only for certain crimes, storyline poo poo, or what? I have robberies, assaults and murders to do, most of which don't pay enough to offset the bounty...

From what I've read just a bandanna/mask alone isn't enough. You can still get recognised by the clothes you wear and the horse you're riding.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Frankston posted:

From what I've read just a bandanna/mask alone isn't enough. You can still get recognised by the clothes you wear and the horse you're riding.

I think some of it is getting out of the investigation area before cops show up, because I can jack wagons all day long up at Emerald Station and, going offroad, disappear before the search ends. Harder to do in the middle of St Denis, stupid gunsmith deciding to draw down on someone already pointing a gun at his head. (It was amusing to have three different "witnesses" walk in during the robbery/murder/till-looting, say "didn't see nothin', none of my business" and walk back out all :yikes:.)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If a cop sees you, you’ll be ID’d as Arthur and get a bounty no matter what, even if you have a mask on. Don’t let cops see you, ever.

What the mask does is stop witnesses from identifying you. So if you have the mask on, and you rob someone, and you either leave them alive or someone else witnesses you, you’ll escape without a bounty so long as you clear out before the law comes. But if you are spotted by law, that’s an instant bounty.

There might also be story missions where the rules are different. Or bugs. Or I could be wrong

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I find it difficult to rob trains for this reason, I always rack $250+ bounty, inevitably.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

If a cop sees you, you’ll be ID’d as Arthur and get a bounty no matter what, even if you have a mask on. Don’t let cops see you, ever.

What the mask does is stop witnesses from identifying you. So if you have the mask on, and you rob someone, and you either leave them alive or someone else witnesses you, you’ll escape without a bounty so long as you clear out before the law comes. But if you are spotted by law, that’s an instant bounty.

There might also be story missions where the rules are different. Or bugs. Or I could be wrong

This is how it's supposed to work but also RDR2 still has the same magic-rear end cops GTA5 does so it's very possible to get away clean and then have a lawman spawn in front of you and gently caress you over.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Glenn Quebec posted:

No, not playing 4k and I have my CPU OC'd to 4.7 but I've followed the optimizations recommended and I'm getting 50fps max with a low of 35 and when I fiddle with the settings I'm not getting worthwhile returns.

That doesn't sound right at all for that set up, but honestly the weakest link in your setup is the GPU. Going from a 6C/12T CPU to an 8C/8T is not going to change much honestly.

What resolution are you playing? 1440p?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If you get ID’d as Arthur Morgan, civilians in the same area will recognise you later and alert the law if you’ve still got a bounty. Unless you change your outfit, in which case they won’t. Lawmen will still recognise you though.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

jisforjosh posted:

That doesn't sound right at all for that set up, but honestly the weakest link in your setup is the GPU. Going from a 6C/12T CPU to an 8C/8T is not going to change much honestly.

What resolution are you playing? 1440p?

3440 x 1440 yeah. The second monitor is much smaller like 1920.

Edit: To add, when I'm running the game -- my CPU seems to be the weak link: usually hovering around 90% usage and cranking up to max at times.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Basic Chunnel posted:

I find it difficult to rob trains for this reason, I always rack $250+ bounty, inevitably.

The easiest way to make money robbing trains is when they're in the rear end end of nowhere. The easiest points for robbery, from what I remember from doing this for 100% last year, were the train heading south from Wallace or southeast from Riggs station, as well as the train looping around northwest from Annesburg. The Wallace/Riggs train is far away enough from any towns and close to the river where it kind of fucks with lawmen spawns, and the Annesburg train takes you near the Grizzlies where cop spawns are really low. If you really want to make bank, stop the train in one of the tunnels while it's in Grizzlies territory. You would think the massive swamp areas of Lemoyne would make for decent train robbing but there are actually pretty frequent lawmen spawns, and it's too easy to get too close to St Denis.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

3440 x 1440 yeah. The second monitor is much smaller like 1920.

Edit: To add, when I'm running the game -- my CPU seems to be the weak link: usually hovering around 90% usage and cranking up to max at times.

3440x1440 as well with a 9700K and a 1080Ti here.

Yes both parts are faster than your CPU and GPU but if you're using those Hardware Unboxed settings I don't see how 50FPS max and low of 35 would be that much of a difference. I'm at near 80 FPS max and low of maybe 50?

Edit: Nvm, forgot how crazy the spec difference was between the 1080 and the 1080Ti.

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 26, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Would lowering the resolution be a reasonable fix?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

Would lowering the resolution be a reasonable fix?

I wouldn't lower the resolution but I would try turning on Resolution scale and running it at 90% or even 80% rendering scale to see how it looks/improves performance

Side by side comparisons of the two here - https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/red_dead_redemption_2_pc_performance_review_and_optimisation_guide/7

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

jisforjosh posted:

I wouldn't lower the resolution but I would try turning on Resolution scale and running it at 90% or even 80% rendering scale to see how it looks/improves performance

Side by side comparisons of the two here - https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/red_dead_redemption_2_pc_performance_review_and_optimisation_guide/7

Good poo poo thanks

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Has anyone followed a lawman to see where they take the dead bodies from a crime scene to?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Probably too late for most people ITT but there's a save file on the Nexus that starts you in Chapter 2 with a bunch of the collectathon rewards unlocked (Satchels, etc) and lets you buy every gun very early on, if you've already beaten this on the PS4 and don't want to do all that poo poo over again: https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/mods/78

quote:

1.) All guns are available for purchase at the gunsmith.
2.) Legend of the East Outfit
3.) Stables feature 4 horses (Turkoman, Arabian, Thoroughbred, and Mustang)
4.) Over $3000 starting currency
5.) All talismans and trinkets (Except the Bull Gator and Lion Paw ones due to story barriers)
6.) A fully discovered map
7.) All satchels.
8.) Special Edition Outfits
9.) All Reinforced Trapper Gear
10.) Camp Upgrades (Tents, Medical Wagon, etc.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You're pressing the wrong button. You should be pressing F if you want to just be punchin' folk

Except when I have my knife out, and jump a guy then punch him while clicking somehow magically putting my knife away.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Lenny's simple trainer updated, now letting you disable the invisible sniper out west so you can go wander the desert as Arthur

https://www.mod-rdr.com/files/file/7-lennys-simple-trainer/

Just be sure to turn on never wanted :v:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Capn Beeb posted:

Lenny's simple trainer updated, now letting you disable the invisible sniper out west so you can go wander the desert as Arthur

https://www.mod-rdr.com/files/file/7-lennys-simple-trainer/

Just be sure to turn on never wanted :v:

Verified, the 3 legendary hunts down there totally spawn as normal

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

The graphic options in this game are driving me crazy. With black friday coming or cyber monday whatever; what's my weakest link with this (methinks my ram might be an issue.):

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($354.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.36 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($839.90 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Tower 900 ATX Full Tower Case ($249.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 RX 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus ROG Strix XG35VQ 35.0" 3440x1440 100 Hz Monitor ($699.99 @ Amazon)

You should switch to Ryzen and look towards the 3700x series. You can get one for $327:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SXMZLPK?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

And it blows everything out of the water. You can also drop the CPU cooler for now as the Ryzen coolers are very sturdy.

Your graphics card option is also extremely expensive - you can get a 2070 Super for $499:

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gef...jWETsfQMHGQzWZA

Consider using this part builder. This is the build I made for my machine and it's amazing:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($326.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($157.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $1044.94

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 26, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

While I don't think it's too unreasonable to expect to find lots of badgers in an area marked with a picture of a badger on the map, the game seems to disagree because it sure as hell isn't spawning very many of those little fuckers. I've seen two 1-star ones and a 2-star one, but I need a perfect badger pelt for my new satchel and this isn't working very well. I should probably try someplace else.

At least I found a 3-star bison, so I got a nice new coat from the trapper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Doc M posted:

While I don't think it's too unreasonable to expect to find lots of badgers in an area marked with a picture of a badger on the map, the game seems to disagree because it sure as hell isn't spawning very many of those little fuckers. I've seen two 1-star ones and a 2-star one, but I need a perfect badger pelt for my new satchel and this isn't working very well. I should probably try someplace else.

At least I found a 3-star bison, so I got a nice new coat from the trapper.

Could be worth looking at night, although I don't know if the game models nocturnal habits