Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Vintersorg posted:

Mondo is doing a bunch of shirts, a hoodie and long sleeve for G's 65th anniversary this Thursday. Also some pins.

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/new-godzilla-apparel-collection

That Destroy All Monsters longsleeve is so loving rad.

I need to quit reading this thread. I am spending far too much on T-shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh man, I want that Gigan shirt.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I have to transcribe a massive amount of audio, and it is incredibly boring, menial work. To keep myself occupied, I've taken to putting on a film without the sound in the background. First up were some Buster Keaton shorts, after that came Final Wars.

Sidenote: this might be the best way to watch Final Wars. Without dialogue, you notice even more how much of a cartoon that film is.

But the film is almost over, and I need something new to put on in the background. Are there any suggestions for what to put on next? I am looking for as much insane kaiju action as possible, with the human scenes at least entertaining enough that you can let them play by without sound. I was thinking of Invasion of the Astro Monster, but maybe vs Megalon would also fit the bill? vs The Sea Monster is straight out, though, since I could never watch that film without turning up the volume for that weird surfrock soundtrack.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I have to transcribe a massive amount of audio, and it is incredibly boring, menial work. To keep myself occupied, I've taken to putting on a film without the sound in the background. First up were some Buster Keaton shorts, after that came Final Wars.

Sidenote: this might be the best way to watch Final Wars. Without dialogue, you notice even more how much of a cartoon that film is.

But the film is almost over, and I need something new to put on in the background. Are there any suggestions for what to put on next? I am looking for as much insane kaiju action as possible, with the human scenes at least entertaining enough that you can let them play by without sound. I was thinking of Invasion of the Astro Monster, but maybe vs Megalon would also fit the bill? vs The Sea Monster is straight out, though, since I could never watch that film without turning up the volume for that weird surfrock soundtrack.

Godzilla vs Gigan is a good one.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
VS MechaGodzilla 74

MST3K Megalon or Sea Monster are great alternatives

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Not kaiju, but you'll probably like Super Inframan.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Hadn't seen Gigan yet, but this was a good opportunity. Gonna put Inframan on the list for the next batch, thanks!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
feel like most of us saw this coming, but still kind of a bummer:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1199087554307461121

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

HannibalBarca posted:

another movie that comes out right after (in all probability) trump gets re-elected and i'm not going to be in the mood for movies or anything else, gently caress

Violator
May 15, 2003

HannibalBarca posted:

Perfect avatar/post combo.

drat, that's no good. But take the time to get it right I guess.

quote:

This year’s “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” generated $385 million worldwide and was a financial disappointment given its $200 million price tag. Both “Godzilla” ($524 million) and “Kong: Skull Island” ($566 million) were commercial successes.

drat, I didn't realize it underperformed that much compared to the previous two.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

conspiracy theory: they're pushing back the release date so that they can change the ending to kong winning because his movie made more money. just like 1962! :tinfoil:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

HannibalBarca posted:

I was thinking that was going to have to be the case. There really wouldn't have been a good way for Legendary to advertise it effectively in such a tight window of time.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I was looking at a list of 2020 movies a few days ago and saw "Godzilla vs Kong: March" and I laughed. There's been no viral marketing for it yet and now I see why. I think it needed the extra few months to bake and give more incentive for casual audience to go out and see it. Unfortunately I think it might be the last of the Legendary saga.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Have there been any specific explanations? Are they doing rewrites? Reshoots? Are they focus-grouping it to death?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think it was always expected that it would be the end of the MonsterVerse. It's kinda what the whole thing has been building to, and especially with Toho intending to return to Big G in the 2020s.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's being reshot in light of peoples issues with King of the Monsters. New effects work, cutting out some human scenes, etc. It'll probably be the last Legendary film simply because they are on track to be commercial disappointments across the board. It was never intended to be the last.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That sucks. Give me Legendary Hedorah or give me death. You can’t tease a Mecha-King Ghidorah piloted by Charles Dance and then pull the plug.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That sucks. Give me Legendary Hedorah or give me death. You can’t tease a Mecha-King Ghidorah piloted by Charles Dance and then pull the plug.

Whatever that thing was will be the real villain in this, I'm sure.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

PriorMarcus posted:

It's being reshot in light of peoples issues with King of the Monsters. New effects work, cutting out some human scenes, etc. It'll probably be the last Legendary film simply because they are on track to be commercial disappointments across the board. It was never intended to be the last.

I was never too optimistic about the end result of this movie, but if the higher-ups have decided that there are enough problems with it to require a year and a half (!) of post-production work and reshoots, I doubt that those problems are fixable. It's entirely possible that the Legendary Godzilla series was never going to work out in the long run given Godzilla's dubious box office appeal, but I can't help but second-guess a lot of the choices made in developing these movies and this "cinematic universe" as a whole.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 26, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

Legendary wants to continue but the contract with Toho was always set to expire after Godzilla vs. Kong.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s fine. It gives Legendary the opportunity to start a new contract with Kadokawa :getin:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The wet fart of KoTM basically killed any future things for the next little bit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The thing I dislike the most about KOTM is that it has a human villain.

Absolutely not.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Having a car chase with loving King Ghidorah was not cool nor fun.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

At least it wasn’t a taxi.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Why didn't they just lure Ghidorah in with a big pile of fish?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Why didn't they just lure Ghidorah in with a big pile of fish?

Cause they lured him with whale sounds.

Violator
May 15, 2003

If Legendary feels like they have to retool a little, I kind of trust them. I thought G’14 and Kong hit it out of the park so if they double down with the positives from those and minimize what people didn’t like about KOTM that’s good.

I obviously have no idea, but this doesn’t feel like a bad situation since there were concrete things wrong with the previous movie that they can actively fix. Hopefully it’s not a situation where they’re changing the director’s vision (like a JL reworking did) and are instead just tweaking things to hit better on what people do like about these types of monsters, fights, and human drama.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh boy. Not good. Can someone with a better knowledge of film history come up with some examples of movies that had to be extensively reshot/retooled and ended up being good? The best I can think of recently was Rogue One, though there is some debate about how much removed/added.

Just picked 9 year old Pants Jr. at the bus and broke the bad news to him. He scrunched up his face in disgust and said, "They better make a good movie. If they are going to make me wait this long it better be good. If it's not good I'm going to kill people."

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

The thing I dislike the most about KOTM is that it has a human villain.

Absolutely not.

KOTM owned bones. It was a movie about stupid, short-sighted humans unleashing Climate Change, then Godzilla beating the poo poo out of it.

Sure, the Billy Madison guy was annoying, but on the whole, it was a top-5 Godzilla movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still can't help but feel that GVK will follow Batman Vs Superman beat for beat.

We know it's going to be a pissing match interrupted by a Mecha Ghidorah / Destroyah where they then join forces.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Oh boy. Not good. Can someone with a better knowledge of film history come up with some examples of movies that had to be extensively reshot/retooled and ended up being good? The best I can think of recently was Rogue One, though there is some debate about how much removed/added.

Just picked 9 year old Pants Jr. at the bus and broke the bad news to him. He scrunched up his face in disgust and said, "They better make a good movie. If they are going to make me wait this long it better be good. If it's not good I'm going to kill people."

I'm not sure of the exact timeline but they started shooting Predator with a pretty janky looking monster, and then re-shot a whole bunch with the better one that everyone is familiar with. In terms of straight up troubled productions, there's loads, including Jaws etc, but as for a complete retooling I don't know. It should be noted that we don't know exactly what is going on with GvK, we can assume the push-back is due to KOTM's response, but as for them changing it from their initial plan, it's not clear, they might just want to give audiences a bit of time so they can do a more aggressive marketing campaign as they can no longer rely on KOTM to be the thing that stokes further interest (even if I thought it was cool and good).

Got my criterion set today, and it's wonderful!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still can't help but feel that GVK will follow Batman Vs Superman beat for beat.

We know it's going to be a pissing match interrupted by a Mecha Ghidorah / Destroyah where they then join forces.

People joked with that Mothra picture but drat, that would that be amazing.

Honestly, I think Legendary needs to court better directors. Gareth Edwards is a very good director with an extremely strong visual style and knows how to frame shots. It's why that film felt epic despite Godzilla not being in it a whole lot. I liked King of the Monsters a lot but it's still half the movie Godzilla was. The only thing I found exceptional and better than the first film was the score.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I am extremely intrigued to see how Adam Wingard handles something on this kind of scale

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hadn't Lord of the Rings started shooting when Jackson realized the guy he had cast as Aragon was too young for the role, and ended up bringing in Viggo to replace him?

And James Cameron had a lot of problems during Aliens (like him having conflicts with the cinematographer, and firing him through filming), and the original Hicks being on drugs.

Then there was the whole thing with the Salklands firing Richard Donner and bringing in Richard Lester to reshoot Superman II.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Maybe they are retooling the movie to make it more like the two prior successful movies in the series and not like the pile of garbage KOTM was.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sucks we won’t get any cool movies like KOTM because y’all suck and bitch all the time.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Sucks we won’t get any cool movies like KOTM because y’all suck and bitch all the time.

You should want more from life than constant mediocrity. Strive for something better.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

Don't blame me, I saw the movie *mumble* times in theaters even though I thought it was "uneven with a few highs and more than a few lows."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
While I think KOTM certainly had its problems, I'm wary of this sort of thing because trying to broadly "fix" things in response to box office/reviews can result in just a mess (see: Suicide Squad.)

Like, a lot of what's wrong with KOTM is the protagonist being kinda clumsily written and made to be the active Doer of All Things because someone took their screenwriting class a little too seriously, so unless Kong vs. Godzilla has the exact same kind of lead character and plot structure I'm not sure what retooling you need to do to not make that specific mistake again. It's not even the same human characters, right?

And honestly, wasn't a major reason it underperformed just Avengers: Endgame? NOTHING did well in that wake, Shazam, Detective Pikachu, etc. until you get to Disney's live action Aladdin and Lion King. That film sucked up a LOT of oxygen.

Warner Bros. has a habit recently of dramatic overcorrection.