Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
not sure where else to post this, this was my birthday gift for my fiancee and she loved it. it's so dumb but it's great

phone posting, idk why it's sideways like that but i can't change it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

not sure where else to post this, this was my birthday gift for my fiancee and she loved it. it's so dumb but it's great

phone posting, idk why it's sideways like that but i can't change it
Slightly cropped because you're missing a corner and your finger is in the way:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Yes thank you

But yeah I like it a lot, she got his ears perfectly. I’m going to hang it above his cage once I put the second story back on it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mystes
May 31, 2006

No, don't throw yourself out, bunny!

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

this is how i treat myself on twitter

This is a goddamn fantastic picture Thumbtacks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love how rabbits jump. It's such a goofy little hop. Look at how he goes totally motionless in the air

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ms. Pepper has been settling in well. She's excited and friendly and surprisingly well behaved -- no chewing, and only one small accident (she peed on the couch, but it was right after she was running around the room at lightspeed and binkying up a storm and I'm thinking she was just so wound up she forgot she had to pee?).

Her absolute favorite green so far is cilantro, but she is also partial to arugula, romaine, and ecarole.

Also, thanks to SheGuevara for the tip on stacking cups; apparently buns hate it when nesting cups are nested and they absolutely must throw them to every corner of the room as quickly and violently as possible.

Amazing.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’ve heard that some people give their rabbits wheatgrass as a snack for them to nibble on but if I get Ajax a little carton of it he will not leave it alone until he’s gnawed the entire thing down to the roots, he always eats the entire thing in one sitting

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

Ms. Pepper has been settling in well. She's excited and friendly and surprisingly well behaved -- no chewing, and only one small accident (she peed on the couch, but it was right after she was running around the room at lightspeed and binkying up a storm and I'm thinking she was just so wound up she forgot she had to pee?).

Her absolute favorite green so far is cilantro, but she is also partial to arugula, romaine, and ecarole.
Agouti coloring is so pretty. My old Holland Lop was agouti and I love how different it looks depending on lighting and angle. Check out one of the hairs up-close some time - each one is multiple colors.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Every time I tell my vet about various behavior she’s like “that’s not what rabbits are supposed to do”. I swear we have a dog. He jumps on the bed to lick my face to wake me up, he curls up on the couch when we watch TV, he’s learned his name and will come when I call him, if you’re petting him and he doesn’t like it he’ll put his paw on your hand to make you stop. I’m fairly sure I could teach him to play fetch if I tried hard enough.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

dat's a good bun

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
it's funny to me that i originally wasn't super on board about getting a rabbit because i assumed they would just be boring and now im at the "i would die for you" stage

he's just so loving cute i can't

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I mean, I bet if you keep them in a tiny cage all day they're pretty boring.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

it's funny to me that i originally wasn't super on board about getting a rabbit because i assumed they would just be boring and now im at the "i would die for you" stage

he's just so loving cute i can't

When I first met my ex's pet rabbit years ago, I figured the bun would be a quiet docile prey animal. Then she bit me.

It did not take long to learn that the bun is always at the top of the hierarchy. (the bun and I became very good friends after that).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/TvXTdVx.mp4

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Considering how many times I have kicked or stepped on Lillian when she is trying to play and runs right at me, that whole video gave me an anxiety attack.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yeah, I can barely clean Ludo's bowl and get his food without him running around my legs trying to get punted in the head.

That is a beautiful rabbit.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

it's perfect

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

That girl is now buried in a shallow grave in the backyard.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
After putting Nancy in her cage (while sleeping) for three days and two nights due to the bed ban, she did the longest run I've seen to date once she realized she was free to roam and she was allowed on the bed again. Behaved again... so far.

Here's a picture of her chilling with me Halloween night.

How much do other people's bunnies like bothering you when you're sleeping? While Nancy will come visit me on the bed for company when I'm awake, she seems to especially like doing so when I'm sleeping. I get woken up when I feel her hop on the bed, and then she'll come over to start licking me a bunch. For some reason, she really likes initiating licks when I'm asleep more than other times. At first I thought maybe it was because she was hungry or something, but if I would give her more hay and pellets before returning to bed, she would come over to do more of the same a while after.

It has made it harder to get consistent sleep, but on the other hand, lately she has been waking me up just minutes before my alarm goes off (which a coworker joked was her saving me from the noise monster in the nick of time) so that is nice.

Here is also a meme I made of her:

RichterIX posted:

Considering how many times I have kicked or stepped on Lillian when she is trying to play and runs right at me, that whole video gave me an anxiety attack.

I like to make Nancy chase me to get her daily dinner salad. It goes fine as she'll chase behind me, but yesterday she decided to bolt around my feet and the prospect of rabbit squash came into my head.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Miss Pepper has been doing well so far, but we are having the occasional toilet issue. For the most part, she is great, and only goes in her litter box. I'll find the occasional turd elsewhere, but nothing to really be concerned about.

That said, she seems to like going to the bathroom on the couch. I'll often find poops there, especially when she has been running around like crazy. She has also peed on it a handful of times. When she has, I've been quick to hit it with Nature's Miracle (the enzymatic stuff) to try to dissuade her, but it doesn't seem to do the trick. I don't get it. She also loves to lick the couch; whenever I am in there and sitting on it, she will jump up and just lick the over and over in different patches.

Any idea what might be going on here? She is still pretty young (5-6 months) and she has been spayed. Honestly, when she pees on the couch it doesn't smell that bad - last time I could only tell it was pee and not a licking patch because when I blotted it it came up with a hint of yellow. The couch is pretty old and in mediocre shape, so I'm not desperate to protect it, but I would like to make sure I can trust her elsewhere in the house eventually.

Halloween Jack posted:

That is a beautiful rabbit.

Thanks! :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
As good as rabbits can get with litter training, they still have to poop more-or-less constantly as a function of their GI process. You will never get a rabbit to 100% stop leaving at least a couple of turds around, especially if it’s in a spot where the rabbit wants/is expected to lounge around and hang out for an extended time.

Like, if you want your bun to hang out on the couch with you for half an hour while you watch TV or whatever, then at some point in that half hour that rabbit’s going to poop, probably more than once, whether you like it or not.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Yeah the poops don't bother me, but I do get more worried about the urine.

So, Ms Pepper ended up chewing on a coax cable today. I think she was trying to chew at the door to dig out of the room. This is the first cable she has chewed since I brought her home (a few weeks, now), so I was a bit surprised because I was feeling more confident leaving her unattended in the room.

It's hard to tell from the looks of it, but I think she probably ingested some of the rubber. I don't think she ingested any copper shielding, but you never know. I am now panicking that she will be dead from intestinal perforations before the week is out. Right now she is flopped over and napping after eating a bunch of pellet, and before she was ripping up a cardboard box. She doesn't seem to be acting strangely but I know rabbits hide signs of pain and illness. What things should I be looking for to make sure she is OK (or, to tell when we need a vet visit asap).

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
A lot of the time they don’t actually ingest what they bite off, they’re trying to get through it not eat it. There’s a theory that they see it as a root and they want to break roots to get past them, but idk. One of my coax cables is also hosed but it’s fine.

She’s probably fine, if she stops eating keep an eye on her. Take her litter box out more frequently so you can monitor poop more closely.

Also get some cord covers, they’re like $2 at Home Depot and will save you a lot of trouble.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I mean, I've had cords like that from both of my rabbits, neither one of them died or even had a vet scare from it. I wouldn't worry about it. Rabbits are dumb, but copper doesn't taste good.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Thanks for the assurance. I repaired the cable and covered it with a length of PVC. She's still eating and pooping like normal, so I'll keep an eye on her, but I'm much less worried than I was.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uVFhy3XIxM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYnZOWGIvXw

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
One of my coworker's bunnies was acting lethargic and not eating, so she left early to take him into the vet. He was in stasis :( but they caught it early. Poor little guy. She thinks it's the move from her boyfriend's house to her own to begin the bonding process in earnest that stressed him out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gamingCaffeinator posted:

One of my coworker's bunnies was acting lethargic and not eating, so she left early to take him into the vet. He was in stasis :( but they caught it early. Poor little guy. She thinks it's the move from her boyfriend's house to her own to begin the bonding process in earnest that stressed him out.
I've known a lot of rabbits that get stasis as soon as there's a big life change, and are fine after treatment. Here's hoping!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Oof, I now know the pain of finding a pet sitter who has experience with exotics. Had two fall through before I found someone who can do it. At least in the process I found out that our local vet can board rabbits. It didn't occur to me at first because I've never boarded a pet before.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Hello rabbit thread. I have a question about my rabbit that I am having a hard time finding an answer for. Over the last few days she has been leaning to her right side, and today I noticed that when she walks she has been turning her rear left foot in towards her body. She hasn’t been tilting her head and she is otherwise acting/eating normally, so I’m not sure if this is something I should be worried about.

She also has cancer and had her left eye removed earlier this month, so maybe this is just another symptom? The veterinarians couldn’t give us a lot of information with what to expect going forward.

Has anyone in this thread seen this leaning thing before?

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

have a good look for cuts/bruises/marks, particularly around the legs and feet, bun might have an injury and is walking weird to compensate

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Deadite posted:

Hello rabbit thread. I have a question about my rabbit that I am having a hard time finding an answer for. Over the last few days she has been leaning to her right side, and today I noticed that when she walks she has been turning her rear left foot in towards her body. She hasn’t been tilting her head and she is otherwise acting/eating normally, so I’m not sure if this is something I should be worried about.

She also has cancer and had her left eye removed earlier this month, so maybe this is just another symptom? The veterinarians couldn’t give us a lot of information with what to expect going forward.

Has anyone in this thread seen this leaning thing before?
How old is she? She could have some nerve damage or something. I wouldn't say to be worried, but if it becomes permanent you'll need to make adjustments (layout, etc) and probably get her some meds. Give her lots of love and attention and make sure she's comfortable and happy as much as you can. It sounds like she's been unwell for a while, and it's great that she's recovering from the cancer, but at this point you need to think of her as a special needs bunny.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
She’s at least nine and a half years old. We adopted her that long ago and she was a stray when she was brought to the pound, but we don’t know old she really is.

She seems to be walking normally now, so it hopefully wasn’t related to her cancer. Maybe her leg fell asleep? Is that something that can happen to rabbits?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Deadite posted:

She seems to be walking normally now, so it hopefully wasn’t related to her cancer. Maybe her leg fell asleep? Is that something that can happen to rabbits?

Of course. They can also get injuries and sprains and tendinitis and breaks and dislocations and stress fractures and arthritis and obesity-related injuries and age-related injuries and splinters and everything else that humans can get in their extremities.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
my gut reaction was it's a response to losing vision on the left side of her head so she's compensating by trying to make that side of her body smaller but i have nothing to back that up with

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Looks like Ajax’s eye started watering again. He probably scratched it on some hay or something, hopefully it’s an easy fix like last time. They said his tear duct was ruptured last time so either it’s watering uncontrollably or it’s watering when it’s not supposed to, that sounds like an injury that probably won’t fix itself. Might just have to be on eye cleaning duty again until it heals.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

Looks like Ajax’s eye started watering again. He probably scratched it on some hay or something, hopefully it’s an easy fix like last time. They said his tear duct was ruptured last time so either it’s watering uncontrollably or it’s watering when it’s not supposed to, that sounds like an injury that probably won’t fix itself. Might just have to be on eye cleaning duty again until it heals.
Oh no! Poor little thing. I hope he gets better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I was worried about Ludo again this past weekend because he was sluggish and not eating most of his food. But he kept drinking, and pooping, and eating a little, and seems to have returned to normal.

He seemed like his back legs were weaker than usual, so the upshot is that I'm now giving him his Meloxicam every day instead of every other day. Poor arthritic bunny. I'm glad I got a preemptive refill--I did the math and realized we'd run out right around the New Year when it would be difficult to get a scrip.