Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Game is running perfect for me with the 441.34 hotfix drivers, latest BIOS for my mobo, new AMD chipset drivers and obviously the latest patch. Hopefully it holds I've been waiting since the 5th November for this :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Deketh posted:

I don't know if the game models nocturnal habits

I think it does, and also that it was said in this thread that badgers are nocturnal

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I did look for them at night and it didn't help at all :negative:

According to the wiki, there's a spot near Rhodes that is a particularly good place to hunt badgers, so I guess I'll head there.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Doc M posted:

I did look for them at night and it didn't help at all :negative:

According to the wiki, there's a spot near Rhodes that is a particularly good place to hunt badgers, so I guess I'll head there.

I spent 5 ingame nights looking for a 3 star badger. I found mine roaming around the Oil Derrick in the Heartlands, you'll surely find one or even two each night, it's just a matter of walking around all night until you find a 3-star one, if you only find 1-star or 2-star ones camp, sleep until evening, repeat.

It will come eventually, but honestly I'd rather flick a cougar's balls than do it again

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I think it does, and also that it was said in this thread that badgers are nocturnal

It does. Other nocturnals like Owls are much more frequent actually at night, and certain plants are only available for picking at night. Getting yourself the legendary buck antler trinket makes perfect pelt hunting much less of a pain.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 26, 2019

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Just chiming in to say that I was on the fence about this game due to reviews calling out a lot of the minutiae/time sinks/pacing but I bought it anyway and it is extremely my jam. I'm in Chapter 3 at the moment.

The only thing I can't seem to get the hang of is shooting behind me on my horse, using mouse/kb. Horse just seems to veer into a rock or tree every time.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Sipher posted:

The only thing I can't seem to get the hang of is shooting behind me on my horse, using mouse/kb. Horse just seems to veer into a rock or tree every time.

Hold C. You can look behind you and shoot without having to manually rotate the camera yourself.

For all the PC players, if you haven't joined us yet, we've got a pretty substantially sized Discord that you're both welcomed and encouraged to join. Perma-posses are forming, more deliveries are happening, and finding people to cause trouble and mayhem with has never been easier: https://discordapp.com/invite/HBgmBeJ

v This is also very important. v

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 26, 2019

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Also make sure you change the horse controls to be horse relative and not camera relative in the settings if you haven't already.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Ebola Dog posted:

Also make sure you change the horse controls to be horse relative and not camera relative in the settings if you haven't already.

Did that before I even started thanks to this thread.

I think I need to just be mindful of not pressing any direction buttons when hitting C. Thanks!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Strangely enough, even reducing the resolution scaling by a minute amount gave me +25 FPS. I suspect something is up on their end tbh.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
gently caress, too many options...

Would it look better to run in 2160p and reduce resolution scaling, or just run in 1440p with no scaling?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Badgering: on the map, find the "N" in "Heartlands". There's a lone tree in that area, has a dreamcatcher. Also is a badger spawn - camp nearby, sleep 'til night, you can find sleeping badgers near the tree. (I've found multiple Pristine ones there - not all at once, though.)

I'm thinking they throttle the spawn rates for critters you need for missions, because I just needed to mail off a rotting disassembled Perfect skunk, and goddamn if the marked skunk-areas would produce *maybe* two a night, and good ones at best. Gave up on that, wandered off to see what that psycho Micah wanted, and just stumbled into one at the logging camp.

And now I've got polecats everywhere again... :ninja:

Now if I can figure out why the "disarm" challenge is being such a bitch - 2x shots per hand/arm on armed enemies in Deadeye, using the Yellowboy repeater, and I'm getting one disarmed out of four, at close range? About to try shotgun, maybe, Alex Murphy sure got disarmed (dishanded, in any event) that way.

Also: Ghost Rider'ing random strangers with hellfire buckshot doesn't count to the challenge for crafted ammo - guess I needed to aggro him first - but does draw an Animal Cruelty penalty because I guess his horse caught fire. :smith: Doing the same during a stagecoach robbery is OK, but don't shoot the dudes on the stage itself, because either the stage or the horses light up and fail the mission.

Down to only the wolf and the elk for Legendaries, everything else is story progression-locked. Bring on the legendary Chipmunk and Starling DLC!

And it's bullshit that all I get from the lion is a paw - that fucker would make an *awesome* hooded robe.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Communist Bear posted:

You should switch to Ryzen and look towards the 3700x series. You can get one for $327:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SXMZLPK?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

And it blows everything out of the water. You can also drop the CPU cooler for now as the Ryzen coolers are very sturdy.

Your graphics card option is also extremely expensive - you can get a 2070 Super for $499:

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gef...jWETsfQMHGQzWZA

Consider using this part builder. This is the build I made for my machine and it's amazing:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($326.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($157.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $1044.94

Oh drat, that's really nice for the price.
I think I'll save this bad boy for when I get some cash next year, cheers dude.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Friend and I played this game in chill mode (best mode) started on one side of the map and both picked a treasure map on the opposite side and slow rolled through, hunting, taking random stranger missions and bounties along the way. Really the most fun way to play is to not engage the grind.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Communist Bear posted:

You should switch to Ryzen and look towards the 3700x series. You can get one for $327:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SXMZLPK?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

And it blows everything out of the water. You can also drop the CPU cooler for now as the Ryzen coolers are very sturdy.

Your graphics card option is also extremely expensive - you can get a 2070 Super for $499:

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gef...jWETsfQMHGQzWZA

Consider using this part builder. This is the build I made for my machine and it's amazing:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($326.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($157.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $1044.94

My bad! I just saw this cause someone else posted it. I'm not sure how I missed it. So, the build I'm showing is a creature built over the course of years ---- not my "ideal" build. That said, I'm saving this to build for my nephew on Xmas.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Minor tip, if you start a barfight in Valentine with the old trapper and knock his hat off, you can steal it and it goes into your inventory forever as a special hat.

Also I have dual broomhandles now.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

What's the easiest / funnest / best way to earn scratch in single player? I keep wanting to be a lawless bandit but it's like the game is making some sort of point about how tenuous that kind of life is

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Oh sure so if I point a gun at a guy and straight up rob him that's cool but as soon as I lasso a random slob, pick his pockets, and leave him hogtied on the road to be found by travelers / wandering coyotes within minutes, suddenly I'm the one who's an rear end in a top hat

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Well poo poo, my game just crashes when I load my story save now since the last update. I can load into menu but and I can hear the sound but as soon as the black screen is supposed to fade in it crashes. Worked fine before the most recent update.

Edit: Nevermind, must 've been a corrupted save or something. I loaded online and from there loaded the 2nd most recent save and that worked fine.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 26, 2019

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Basic Chunnel posted:

What's the easiest / funnest / best way to earn scratch in single player? I keep wanting to be a lawless bandit but it's like the game is making some sort of point about how tenuous that kind of life is

Stealing and selling carriages is fun and profitable ($40/pop). The mission to unlock carriage sales is pretty early too. Murder and loot anyone on the carriages and anyone unfortunate enough to head by and you'll have a bunch of other cash and loot you can sell to the fence as well.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Oh sure so if I point a gun at a guy and straight up rob him that's cool but as soon as I lasso a random slob, pick his pockets, and leave him hogtied on the road to be found by travelers / wandering coyotes within minutes, suddenly I'm the one who's an rear end in a top hat

That's why I've never bothered trying to rob someone and leave them alive. It seems like they always just go for their gun. Just shoot them dead without warning and take their poo poo.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Basic Chunnel posted:

"Easy" if you have the preorder (I think) treasure hunt "Le Tresor Des Morts" - original map is in the jail cell in Limpany (get the gold bar in the Sheriff's office for another $500 fast), next two parts are St Denis way, but the end is six gold bars @ $500 each. And you can do this as soon as you're able to freely roam the map...

Of course, all the good poo poo is still locked away, but a little cushion is nice if you decide to start a bunch of poo poo or help Micah out.

Dunno about any of the other multipart treasure hunts - haven't finished one yet - but those seem to send you into dangerous spots (wolf country, for example). Home robberies pay out decently, but can be dangerous and you have to unlock them with gang members. Grand Theft Wagon has already been covered - grindy, but you can hang out near the wagon fence and jack rides all day. (Repeatedly yoinking the stagecoach from the train station is easy and pure profit, as you don't even need to shoot anyone.)

Once you unlock them (by way of finding out about suspicious activities), the Back Room robberies can be profitable - Rhodes and St Denis both pay out nicely, Rhodes you can even get the Yellowboy repeater free/early, but the St Denis one is gonna end with many many police in pursuit.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Standing on top of the balcony in Valentine and antagonizing NPC passersby until they lose their minds and start shooting, only for the local law to start shooting them, will never get old.

Edit:

Ygolonac posted:

"Easy" if you have the preorder (I think) treasure hunt "Le Tresor Des Morts" - original map is in the jail cell in Limpany (get the gold bar in the Sheriff's office for another $500 fast), next two parts are St Denis way, but the end is six gold bars @ $500 each. And you can do this as soon as you're able to freely roam the map...

I totally forgot I had this, and the preorder warhorses.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 26, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Basic Chunnel posted:

Go to rdr2map.com and look up gold bar locations

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Treasure Maps are very quick and easy if you look up a guide and extremely rewarding, almost definitely the best bang for your buck if you just want some quick cash.

Ygolonac posted:

Once you unlock them (by way of finding out about suspicious activities), the Back Room robberies can be profitable - Rhodes and St Denis both pay out nicely, Rhodes you can even get the Yellowboy repeater free/early, but the St Denis one is gonna end with many many police in pursuit.

It's possible to get away clean in St Denis if you don't shoot anyone.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Fishstick posted:

Well poo poo, my game just crashes when I load my story save now since the last update. I can load into menu but and I can hear the sound but as soon as the black screen is supposed to fade in it crashes. Worked fine before the most recent update.

Edit: Nevermind, must 've been a corrupted save or something. I loaded online and from there loaded the 2nd most recent save and that worked fine.

By any chance was it after the mission "The smell of grease paint"? because that happened to me and I did the same thing. It only fixed itself after I did another story mission.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Sonel posted:

By any chance was it after the mission "The smell of grease paint"? because that happened to me and I did the same thing. It only fixed itself after I did another story mission.

This happens to me inconsistently, but at least once every day or two. This is pure speculation, but I don't believe it has anything to do with which save you are loading, it just needs to initialize something first, and online allows it do that. I've had no trouble loading any saves, auto or manual, once I get into online.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Basic Chunnel posted:

Look up the Gold Bar puzzles.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I spent about 2 hours hunting, and decided to check out this wagon sloped on the side of a hill. Whoops I slid through it and died, all my poo poo is gone. Cool.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Sipher posted:

I spent about 2 hours hunting, and decided to check out this wagon sloped on the side of a hill. Whoops I slid through it and died, all my poo poo is gone. Cool.

I had finally found a session with animals, with my camp in it and had stolen a second horse for some hunting. I get two perfect deers and 3 or 4 good rabbits and get back to camp to summarily disconnected.

Go back in, no animals this time but I have my camp. I do one of the supply runs, arrive back at camp with my wagon and disconnect.

The game can be incredibly frustrating but Im gonna get trader to 20 dammit.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Honestly the best way to get money is to just do the story. By chapter 3 you’ll be loaded, there’s some big heists in there

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I want the cool satchels!

I made some comment to that affect to my wife the other day and she told me it was the nerdiest thing I've ever said, which is saying something.

Sipher fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 26, 2019

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, one thing that's been keeping me from doing much main story stuff...

Are there any that get locked out if I do them in any particular order? Can I accidentally rush the main story and end up missing out on some chapter specific side missions?

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
apparently all legendary bounties are now available from the bounty board. happy hunting

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Deakul posted:

So, one thing that's been keeping me from doing much main story stuff...

Are there any that get locked out if I do them in any particular order? Can I accidentally rush the main story and end up missing out on some chapter specific side missions?

Only a few.

There's an ongoing series with Mary (Arthur's ex) that starts a few missions into Valentine. Recommend doing them soon after they become available. More pop up in later chapters.

Outside of that, there are gang-member-specific missions marked with a white icon. Some reoccur in later chapters if you don't do them right away but it's generally good to do them as they appear. They're often lucrative and/or tied to unlocks. Not sure if the unlocked content is available when the missions no longer are, but either way, most of the missions aren't super lengthy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Squirrel Burger posted:

apparently all legendary bounties are now available from the bounty board. happy hunting

Oh nice. Forever, or is it a limited time “in case you missed it” thing?

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
seems to be permanent, if it were limited time i'd imagine there'd be a newswire about it

edit: lol there is, also bonus xp and cash for you grindpigs https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/61240/All-Legendary-Bounties-Now-on-the-Bounty-Board

Squirrel Burger fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 27, 2019

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I did every white circle mission as it appeared for fear of missing stuff. It took me for-loving-ever to get through the main story (just beat it an hour ago), but I definitely liked feeling as though I didn't leave anything behind.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Finally getting into the swing of RDR online, liking the chill hunting and fishing / shooting some npcs once in a while

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
If I'm not big at all on multiplayer stuff because I hate fighting other people and mostly just want to wander around the world and do a bunch of stuff without being bothered, is online even worth it for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

If I'm not big at all on multiplayer stuff because I hate fighting other people and mostly just want to wander around the world and do a bunch of stuff without being bothered, is online even worth it for me?

I'm similar to you and honestly it's fine in its current state. Not perfect but fine. You might get bothered in cities, but out in the open world, you can see people coming from a long way away and steer clear if you want to stay out of trouble (dedicated griefers get their icons turned red, which I think allows you to see them on the map long before they can see you but don't quote me on that). And I don't think there's usually more than low 20-something people per server, the map is plenty big for you to find a spot to just gently caress around by yourself in.

i still want private servers though