Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I didn't realize "vr-ready" was actually a marketing thing, I just meant something beefy enough to easily run top of the line vr games. I already have windows 10, and already own a Quest, so I plan on utilizing Link for pcvr. I don't game much at all, so I don't know poo poo about graphics cards, and I haven't had a desktop pc in well over a decade, but I do like the possibilities of vr and want to try poo poo like NMS and Elite, and finally be able to play a couple of recent 2D titles like new Doom. I do occasional music recording/mixing and video editing too, so I'd like something that can run realtime plugins and render hires video quickly. That's about it. l reckon I'll check out the pc build thread, and look out for some holiday deals. Appreciate the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SCheeseman posted:

I should probably add links to stores that sell those lens inserts to the OP, but I don't wear glasses so I know jack poo poo about all that. Anyone got any experience with them?

VR Optician is the only one I'm aware of and I keep seeing people recommend them.

https://vroptician.com/

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Origami Dali posted:

I didn't realize "vr-ready" was actually a marketing thing, I just meant something beefy enough to easily run top of the line vr games. I already have windows 10, and already own a Quest, so I plan on utilizing Link for pcvr. I don't game much at all, so I don't know poo poo about graphics cards, and I haven't had a desktop pc in well over a decade, but I do like the possibilities of vr and want to try poo poo like NMS and Elite, and finally be able to play a couple of recent 2D titles like new Doom. I do occasional music recording/mixing and video editing too, so I'd like something that can run realtime plugins and render hires video quickly. That's about it. l reckon I'll check out the pc build thread, and look out for some holiday deals. Appreciate the help.

Dell Outlet can be pretty insane this time of year. Keep refreshing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SCheeseman posted:

I should probably add links to stores that sell those lens inserts to the OP, but I don't wear glasses so I know jack poo poo about all that. Anyone got any experience with them?

We use VR Optician, as my wife has both Rift and Index inserts and loves them. Easy to install, and the prescriptions match her glasses perfectly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Origami Dali posted:

How much would I be saving by building a vr-ready pc instead of buying pre-built? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Quite a bit, in the short and long-term. The only time you should even look at a "VR-Ready PC" is if it's out of a PC parts store and something they assembled themselves. Get a BIG case, I recommend the Fractal Design ones for both size and cooling airflow, and work from your budget to build something decent. Getting something built from parts will also mean you have something you can continuously upgrade and build on in the future.

Origami Dali posted:

Some general ballpark parts to look at; Your minimum graphical VR specs are an nVidia GTX1060 graphics card (though I'd recommend a 1080 if you have the budget for it). CPU-wise I recommend an AMD over Intel; The sockets are more standardized, and they're generally cheaper for relatively similar performance in your use-case. You'll also want a good 16GB of RAM to go with that.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I picked up a quest because uh, fuckit, and I picked up beat saber to go with it. A couple things I've learned so far, as someone who has never used VR before:

1: Getting the headset on right is actually a lot harder than it would seem. Might just start tying random stuff to the back of my strap to counterbalance this thing.
2: Do not use bluetooth headphones with it, it will render beat saber (and I'm guessing other stuff) totally unplayable.
3: I am getting a bit of queasiness, but generally only when I'm in menus. Once I started beat saber and got into the game, I did a good 10 songs without a break, no problem. I'm guessing the queasiness is probably related to needing new glasses and my headset still not feeling quite right. My old glasses are also only barely small enough to fit in it, but that's not a big deal.

I'm gonna stick with beat saber for awhile, since I feel like I would start projectile vomiting if I jumped right into something like stormlands, but it also doesn't feel like I'll never get there. Just gotta get used to it.

edit: oh and I wish the guardian had a ceiling option to it, I smacked my hand into my ceiling fan hard while doing some of the lightsaber training in vader.

A popular thing for comfort as well is to put a band around it, vertically, at least a couple friends swear by it. Theres a couple companies i think that sell them but... you could also just wrap something around pretty dang easy.

As far as queasiness, a lot of it is getting used to it (don't push yourself if you start feeling sick, just take a break and come back to it or you'll make it worse), but you might want to also double check you have the IPD set right as well.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Some general ballpark parts to look at; Your minimum graphical VR specs are an nVidia GTX1060 graphics card (though I'd recommend a 1080 if you have the budget for it). CPU-wise I recommend an AMD over Intel; The sockets are more standardized, and they're generally cheaper for relatively similar performance in your use-case. You'll also want a good 16GB of RAM to go with that.
2070 (base or S) will be a better buy than a 1080, unless you're buying used.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I played some Lone Echo and Trover on Quest PC link. It was pretty much the same as playing them on Index or Rift, with the caveat that the 10 foot cord I got is too short. I guess I'll be recommending the quest to anyone interested in VR from now on, especially when the longer quest link cable comes out.

Anyone have any direct experience with any of those active USB C cable extensions with quest link?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Unreal_One posted:

2070 (base or S) will be a better buy than a 1080, unless you're buying used.

Nah, I'd wait for the next round of 2XX0's before buying if you're going that route. Never get first-gen tech, let them iron out the flaws first.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, I'd wait for the next round of 2XX0's before buying if you're going that route. Never get first-gen tech, let them iron out the flaws first.

Flaws? Memory was an issue for 2080tis. Bout it. What "Flaws"? Honestly curious here, I've had a 2080ti for a while and its been fine minus I got one with bad memory. Which, I couldn't even tell until I overclocked the poo poo out of it and had it start to fail. huehue.

Only way I'm recommending a 1080 base at this point is if its 300ish or less, and in amazing condition. Id personally rather have a new 2060 super/2070 base

100% do NOT buy a NEW 1080 base from a store unless on sale for like 350 or less or something? That'd be silly. Honestly, Its hard to really recommend a new one at this point unless its dirt cheap.

I mean for real.

https://amzn.to/33jiKzf

399.99 2070

https://amzn.to/34nULQS
https://amzn.to/2DeBDZu

Couple of 399.99 2060 supers.

With all that said. I keep seeing 1080 base used for like 250-300, Hard to beat that if you can snag one. That'd be the deal to go after on a budget.

Hell maybe thats all bad advice. Idk. But thats what I'd do if I was buying a card right now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Origami Dali posted:

How much would I be saving by building a vr-ready pc instead of buying pre-built? I have no idea what I'm doing.

It depends upon the pre-built, some are decent deals but you'll probably be buying some things you don't necessarily need.

Building yourself means you can tweak everything to exact specs and get the best deals you can find for each part.

PCs are super easy to put together, don't be intimidated. The hardest part is making sure your parts are all compatible, which can be subtle to new builders. Actually putting them together is pretty simple, like Lego with just a couple new things to learn, easy to pick up from youtube.

SCheeseman posted:

How expensive are lens inserts / prescription lenses? I don't wear glasses so I never needed to look into it but a friend of mine raised the question yesterday and now I'm curious.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

VR Optician is the only one I'm aware of and I keep seeing people recommend them.

https://vroptician.com/

Aha. Seems pretty reasonable.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was going to test out using my quest on the plane

How painful is it to pair the Quest with BT headphones

Also if I want to watch a movie, what services offer offline viewing? I think Netflix did at one point

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
You should be able to download offline videos from both Netflix and Amazon Prime (or at least you can where I live, on a smartphone).

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

Origami Dali posted:

I was posting last week about upgrading my desktop to better suit Oculus Link, and pulled the trigger on the upgrade and built it over the weekend, loving the jump up from my old system

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/MMmqmg

I went a bit overboard with specs for what I need but figured why not buy the current gen CPU and add the extra RAM while I'm doing it. Reused my SSD, HDD, PSU & GPU. You can for sure get away with lower specs than I've gone with and save a bit of cash, the 1660ti seems to play stuff fine and would be what I consider the baseline for a VR GPU, and last gen Ryzen/i5 CPU's are decently priced. With sales coming up it's worth keeping an eye out for parts or decent pre-built systems that are worth it if you're going to do it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EbolaIvory posted:

Flaws? Memory was an issue for 2080tis. Bout it. What "Flaws"? Honestly curious here, I've had a 2080ti for a while and its been fine minus I got one with bad memory. Which, I couldn't even tell until I overclocked the poo poo out of it and had it start to fail. huehue.

It's not a hard knock against a specific model, but it's a good rule of thumb that you should skip the "1.0" generation of new PC tech and wait for the first revision. The 20X0's are a whole new line, especially with new protocols like OpenVR, and for something you'll be working off for several years it's better to wait for the version that's built on what's learned by throwing a new piece of hardware at several million customers in thousands of different PC permutations for a few months.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I have a lot of family coming over for Thanksgiving and I feel like this thing is gonna be a smash hit. The problem is one of my dick-head friends, I'm pretty sure who, decided to enter slurs over and over again on the Space Pirate Trainer leaderboard and I didn't notice until today. Looking around it seems like there's no way for me to wipe the board of this poo poo and I don't even know if totally clearing it off the machine and redownloading it over their meager remote-village DSL connection will even do it. Does anyone know how I can do this?
Have you not actually tried deleting and reinstalling yet?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's really a pity there is no custom level support for Superhot. Levels are fairly simple and without textures, so the barrier of entry for creators would be low, and most people love the game so it would attract a decent number of modders. And obviously, it would help in giving more content to a short game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No Mans Sky is the VR exploration game that Subnautica was trying to be

Tom Guycot posted:

You know, if you haven't tried it you should take a look at "from other suns".

Thanks for the recommendations. Both are games that weren't on my radar at all (I didn't realize NMS supported VR, and I've never even heard of From Other Suns), I'll check them out.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cicero posted:

Have you not actually tried deleting and reinstalling yet?

Their house is very remote with a pathetic bandwidth. Guess if I start now it should be done by Thanksgiving

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not a hard knock against a specific model, but it's a good rule of thumb that you should skip the "1.0" generation of new PC tech and wait for the first revision. The 20X0's are a whole new line, especially with new protocols like OpenVR, and for something you'll be working off for several years it's better to wait for the version that's built on what's learned by throwing a new piece of hardware at several million customers in thousands of different PC permutations for a few months.

I mean new as in it's a new microarchitecture?

Sure they're the first Turing cards, but the 10xx series like the 1080 were also the first Pascal cards. If your standard is "Don't use the first line of cards of a video card architecture" then given how often they're refreshed you basically are telling people to never buy a video card

The 2070 and 2070 S are perfectly fine cards and still the best bang for your buck for VR in my view. It's not really anything new if you aren't using applications that use the tensor or ray tracing cores, which you aren't with VR.

Unless you're talking about VirtualLink support but nothing really uses it at this point and given the 20xx has it and the 10xx series doesn't you can always just not use it if by chance the 20xx specific implementation turns out to be not ideal whenever VirtualLink products come out a couple years from now.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 26, 2019

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

bizwank posted:

If anyone is looking for an easy way to mount the Index base stations (and anything else 1/4in threaded) up high without putting holes in the walls, this was my solution:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QK87KT6 + https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PICAE4C

The problem I see here is that curtain rods are limited in where you can put them. Here's my solution in case anybody was looking for other alternatives:

Here and here. Tripods can go as high as 6.5 feet which is pretty good, and the bases are pretty small, which can be good or bad depending on your situation..

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ijii posted:

The problem I see here is that curtain rods are limited in where you can put them. Here's my solution in case anybody was looking for other alternatives:

Here and here. Tripods can go as high as 6.5 feet which is pretty good, and the bases are pretty small, which can be good or bad depending on your situation..
I just use a couple of these on the back of each base station. The underneath isn't flat so it's less than ideal but they don't weigh all that much either, and they seem pretty secure.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Dropping by to say Until You Fall is probably the best sword fighting VR game I've played. It's really excellent and actually feels like a fun video game rather than a sandbox.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

ijii posted:

The problem I see here is that curtain rods are limited in where you can put them.
They don't have to be mounted horizontally, they're just spring-loaded rods; mine run floor to ceiling in opposite corners of the room and my base stations are right at the top (~8ft). Compared to a tripod setup these have a greater range of adjustment, are fixed at both ends so there's little to no risk of them being knocked over/wiggled and the footprint is fairly minuscule.

TACD posted:

I just use a couple of these on the back of each base station. The underneath isn't flat so it's less than ideal but they don't weigh all that much either, and they seem pretty secure.
That's the route I was originally going to go but I was a little concerned that the vibration from the spinning laser might eventually cause the adhesive/velcro to give way, and I also wanted to be able to move them around easily.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I mean new as in it's a new microarchitecture?

Sure they're the first Turing cards, but the 10xx series like the 1080 were also the first Pascal cards. If your standard is "Don't use the first line of cards of a video card architecture" then given how often they're refreshed you basically are telling people to never buy a video card

The 2070 and 2070 S are perfectly fine cards and still the best bang for your buck for VR in my view. It's not really anything new if you aren't using applications that use the tensor or ray tracing cores, which you aren't with VR.

Unless you're talking about VirtualLink support but nothing really uses it at this point and given the 20xx has it and the 10xx series doesn't you can always just not use it if by chance the 20xx specific implementation turns out to be not ideal whenever VirtualLink products come out a couple years from now.

The don’t buy first gen logic is stupid either way. It always has been and always will be really dumb and bad advise.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is so wrong it’s not even funny. Never listen to this logic. Ever.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

"not buying first gen" would be like, maybe hold off buying that new Intel GPU until its a proven architecture. Getting The New Nvidia Card is pretty much a safe bet because it isn't that new, its an evolution of The Last Nvidia Card (literally in the case of the Super).

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 26, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone had experience upgrading their Quest from firmware 8 to 11? Apparently you just turn software updates on in the app and then... wait? But it looked like that setting was on already. Anyone know how long it usually takes?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Gort posted:

Anyone had experience upgrading their Quest from firmware 8 to 11? Apparently you just turn software updates on in the app and then... wait? But it looked like that setting was on already. Anyone know how long it usually takes?

You have to have it plugged in, charging, and connected to Wifi. After that, it can take up to 4 hours. If it is absolutely not upgrading at all, you might have to back up your save files with SideQuest and do a factory reset.

EDIT: Maybe do a restart also just in case? Put on the headset, hold the power button down, then select Restart.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Nalin posted:

You have to have it plugged in, charging, and connected to Wifi. After that, it can take up to 4 hours. If it is absolutely not upgrading at all, you might have to back up your save files with SideQuest and do a factory reset.

EDIT: Maybe do a restart also just in case? Put on the headset, hold the power button down, then select Restart.

It was the restart. Thanks!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you're looking for the USB dongles to use your old Vive controllers as foot trackers or some poo poo, Steam Controllers are getting blown out for $5 right now and the dongles can be reflashed to work with Vives. I ended up paying like $17 shipping for two of them though lmao

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Impressions on Synth Riders? I noticed it's 1. cross-buy 2. cheap-ish (17€, cheaper than Pistol Whip or Beat Saber), 3. official custom song support (I saw today there is even a button in Sidequest). So it's seems a potentially very good buy.

I'm wondering if perhaps it covers too much the same ground as Beat Saber/Pistol Whip. Not sure I need a third game of the same type.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

Impressions on Synth Riders? I noticed it's 1. cross-buy 2. cheap-ish (17€, cheaper than Pistol Whip or Beat Saber), 3. official custom song support (I saw today there is even a button in Sidequest). So it's seems a potentially very good buy.

I'm wondering if perhaps it covers too much the same ground as Beat Saber/Pistol Whip. Not sure I need a third game of the same type.

Best music ost atm imo. Good devs, mod support is good. Community is poppin.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Turin Turambar posted:

It's different enough that I think all three are in different baskets. More path-following than exactness, and it has a specific mode for workout-type stuff.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It's more dance-y than Beat Saber imo and the OST is vastly superior.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
As usual, Neddy Seagoon saying stuff so wrong it really makes you wonder if he's invoking xkcd #386 to nerdsnipe people.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Much like how CPUs hide a microcode implementation underneath their ISA, public GPU APIs tend to be layered. The reason DX12 and Vulkan and Metal are such a big deal is that they are a step towards thinning the traditionally bulky and sometimes less-performant driver layers. nVidia's stuff can't *really* be called 1.0. At the same time, it is a new product so it's worth waiting a brief period of time so any major issues shake out, but "one revision" starts to get hazy once you account for what you mean by "revision" - driver release? major OS patch (possibly meant the driver got re-certified)? Game patch? nVidia deploys engineers that work across OS, driver, and game source to optimize and fix games - the reason they release new drivers with specific games noted in the patches is because their GPU drivers will actually do game-specific hacks to draw out more performance, or patch over graphics artifacts/bugs. The 1080Ti is one of nVidia's greatest successes and mistakes. It was too good - it's still largely competitive with the 20X0s except for the RTX architecture, and since RTX is still niche, a reasonably priced 1080Ti is still worth it.

Also - OpenVR isn't a protocol. OpenVR sits above all that. The GPU is almost entirely irrelevant to OpenVR.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://uploadvr.com/facebook-acquires-beat-saber/

quote:

“Beat Games will continue to ship content and updates for Beat Saber across all currently supported platforms, now with even more support from Facebook,” the post reads.

Lol uh oh

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Welp VR was nice while it lasted.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hadlock posted:

I was going to test out using my quest on the plane

How painful is it to pair the Quest with BT headphones

Also if I want to watch a movie, what services offer offline viewing? I think Netflix did at one point

I've used my Go on planes a lot, and its a great experience. Putting in a theater environment and watching a movie is a nice mental sigh of relief from feeling cramped next to people looking at a tiny screen on the chair in front of you.

Your best bet is 'skybox', its just a media player so you'll need to put the video files on the device yourself (if you're on a network it can read across a network as well). It will play any file types you throw at it, works great for all formats of 3d movies, subtitles, timing, all that, with a few different environments that do correct lighting from the screen.

I don't know if any of the official video streaming apps allow downloads though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Expecting any new properties to be Oculus only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can't wait for Facebook to ruin another thing just like they ruined Democracy.