Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gologle posted:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/11/25/new-final-fantasy-vii-remake-screens-feature-cloud-combat-and-more/

I'm not going to front, this game are looks sicks really nice. It's still going to be a horrible trashfire that dumpsters on the original, but it'll be a pretty one.

Everybody missed the most important thing in this article:

:siren: NAILBAT CONFIRMED :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

Everybody missed the most important thing in this article:

:siren: NAILBAT CONFIRMED :siren:

I also immediately cheered when I noticed this

And having ffix-style weapon abilities is cool as heck, this game's gonna rule

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ventana posted:

Can you link to these because I'd love to read about this and I haven't been to the Gundam threads for a while

quote:

You know, what I am bored as hell and feel like sperging about Gundam.

So welcome to part one of SeanBeanShako's Gundam Uniform review! in which I just obsess or make over the neat details of some of my favourite or just disliked uniforms of Gundam characters through the years. Words ahead!

And we're going to start off with a rose petal scented bang ladies and gentlegoons with Treize Khushrenada of OZ.

zechs bro where is your loving sweet uniform your ruining it stop calling yourself peacecraft bro your weirding me out

It is pretty loving obvious now I am a huge turbo nerd for Napoleonic Wars history and media, so I'm going to get down to brass tacks and state that somebody should give Treize's tailor either a years supply of Brights Burgers or a shitload of Zeon gold because compared with this chunky guy Treize looks fantastic and pulls this look off more. Though technically, even the dusty old ladies and gentlemen of the Romfeller foundation pull this off. Hell, Relena looks so frigging bad rear end in this stuff it is such a shame she abandoned it when she was done kissing butt because I'd follow that peace crazy lady in a Leo anyday with that outfit.

So lets get down to why I like this look. First off, Prussian blue (or just blue depending on the quality of the copy I can never tell) is a well beloved colour for all old timey military uniforms as well pretty much everyone but the British and Imperial Russia wore it until the end of the 19th century. Then there is the epaulettes on the shoulders. It takes a pretty bulky or tall dude to actually pull these off properly and be intimidating (ask Alexander III of Russian when he's not dead/bending iron bars) but Treize pulls it off like global coup. Hell, look at that tiny cravat. It's the right drat size because those things like like napkins if they are too big. I am kind of saddened he always wears this closed because I imagine he pulls of quite a bad rear end double breasted surcoat underneath. I imagine it either has a TK on each side of the breast or just loads of tiny purple fleur de lis.

japan why do you associate 16th century swords with the 19th century thats like us thinking you used katana all the loving time

Now, I can't really tell if those are knee high breeches or full trousers because of those huge rear end bucket style riding boots the man has going on. Treize clearly thinks the regular calf sized riding boots are for babies and is confident enough to wear these things all the time. Especially in the Tallgeese. If I am now making you imagine the Tallgeese chair somehow having stirrups you make thank or cuss me out to your hearts content. And finally, that Victorian half cape he rocks out wearing this stuff outside just looks awesome. It's a shame this uniform was instantly incinerated with the man himself in his Gundam towards the end of Wing. It should be in a musuem or something. Personally, I think OZ grew in power simply because they had Treize and Zechs rocking this kind of look. Shame most OZ uniforms had to look forward to things a little more low key that resembles a bellhop uniform than a crazy space imperialist titan. I mean, OZ could have spent more on making less explodey mobile suits but priorities man.

It is just a shame really he didn't rock out some over the top head gear with it, something like this would have been awesome but I imagine Zechs is the kind of guy that would get weird helmet envy so Treize had make some sacrifices.

Four Garma heads out of five.

Next time, I rage at Glemy Toto's stupid loving uniform. Seriously. I hate that thing so much. It looks like dogshit man.

I din't copy any of the rest though and I also had to fix the image inks.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Knee length cavalry bucket boots are still sexy.

Still to this day questioning those white mess hall hussar style formals that dip way too far into waiter in mid 19th century hotel. A lot of uniforms in that anime straddle the line between weird milhist mish mash and crazy old time hotel vibe.

I was going to do Gundam Seed but Futurama beat me to the one joke I was going to make.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Ffffffuuuuuck I want to see the Glemy rage, but yeah that was a fun read and I'm glad I can be ok in secretely liking Treizes outfit.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
On topic, I am legit sad those Cossack/Ottman looking Midgar militia dudes didn't make the cut for the remake.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Great suit post.

Hell, you could probably write a book about fashion and Final Fantasy with how much the two intertwine. There’s a whole wealth of material to dive into there.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

So let's talk about the outfits in FFX-2. They sure are something.

I like all the Festivalist outfits. They look comfy and fun.

I'm a big fan of all the Trainer outfits. Dark Knight too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I really can't stand the Dark Knight outfits because the swords are hideous.

Samurai was my favorite, especially for Rikku. I love the animation of her trying to run and swing that big rear end katana. It takes a split second of "oomph'ing" to swing it at enemies and it's great.

Random thought: does anyone know anything about sword stances? I always thought Tidus looked goofy and lame with how he held his sword but, n ow I'm older , Auron's stance is probably more unrealistic.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wher the gently caress is theatrhythm

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I really can't stand the Dark Knight outfits because the swords are hideous.

Samurai was my favorite, especially for Rikku. I love the animation of her trying to run and swing that big rear end katana. It takes a split second of "oomph'ing" to swing it at enemies and it's great.

Random thought: does anyone know anything about sword stances? I always thought Tidus looked goofy and lame with how he held his sword but, n ow I'm older , Auron's stance is probably more unrealistic.

Dark Knight swords are so ridiculous you could practically call them ornamental, especially considering you don't normally use the regular attack command with Dark Knights.

I like how Rikku has extra flair for her regular attacks in her gun using dresspheres, resulting in a longer delay compared to Yuna and Paine.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

gigglefeimer posted:

I like how Rikku has extra flair for her regular attacks in her gun using dresspheres, resulting in a longer delay compared to Yuna and Paine.

rikku and guns is one of the weird things about X-2

she has more complicated animations in order to represent the fact that, as an Al Bhed, she is one of the only people on the planet who actually has experience with them and is comfortable using them. But, for some reason, gunner is Yuna's default(despite the fact that like the whole plot of the game revolves around the dancer sphere and her connection to it) and Rikku's is still thief, and the fact that her animations are more complicated and take longer actually makes Rikku noticeably worse at being a gunner. And Paine also has experience with guns, even though that's not revealed until later, but her animations for them are basically like Yuna's.

it just feels like there was a lot of failure to communicate between parts of the dev team

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

she has more complicated animations in order to represent the fact that, as an Al Bhed, she is one of the only people on the planet who actually has experience with them and is comfortable using them. But, for some reason, gunner is Yuna's default(despite the fact that like the whole plot of the game revolves around the dancer sphere and her connection to it) and Rikku's is still thief, and the fact that her animations are more complicated and take longer actually makes Rikku noticeably worse at being a gunner. And Paine also has experience with guns, even though that's not revealed until later, but her animations for them are basically like Yuna's.

it just feels like there was a lot of failure to communicate between parts of the dev team

The consistency all went to making sure Rikku wore the skimpiest version of every Dressphere and Paine wore the most stylish version of each Dressphere.

Love her White Mage design.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

cock hero flux posted:

I mean, isn't Yuna half al bhed? I wouldn't say it's the biggest stretch for her to also be good at guns if you're going with the representation route.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ventana posted:

I mean, isn't Yuna half al bhed? I wouldn't say it's the biggest stretch for her to also be good at guns if you're going with the representation route.

yes but she never lived with or met any of them, and her mother seemingly died almost immediately after she was born. she was raised by the church and/or religious island hicks, as opposed to rikku whose first appearance has her commanding a squad of dudes with rifles

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ventana posted:

That's a very Wakka thing to say.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I don't think you need to be a certain race to use guns well. They're guns.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's not about race, it's about culture and actual experience. Ithard to get experience with guns if you grow up in a place without guns.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Clarste posted:

It's not about race, it's about culture and actual experience. Ithard to get experience with guns if you grow up in a place without guns.

guns are the ultimate peasant weapon, anyone can point one and pull the trigger and fork a knight off his horse without any training whatsoever

if anything, every class in fft should be able to use guns but with a range penalty if you aren't an engineer

rikku twirls and dances around unnecessarily when she gunkatas because she open palm slams monster energy drinks for breakfast

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 27, 2019

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The White Dragon posted:

guns are the ultimate peasant weapon, anyone can point one and pull the trigger and fork a knight off his horse without any training whatsoever

if anything, every class in fft should be able to use guns but with a range penalty if you aren't an engineer

And considering FFX ended with you murdering all the Aeons, Yuna probably needed a weapon that didn't take years of practice with in order to go sphere hunting.

Rikku kept her daggers because they worked just fine back then and they work just fine now.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Leal posted:

I don't think you need to be a certain race to use guns well. They're guns.

it's a bit different when they've literally been your religion's greatest taboo for a thousand years to the point where you would get excommunicated and branded a heretic for touching one(unless you were part of the secret church rifle monks like paine sort of was), while the Al Bhed have spent that time focusing their efforts on obtaining and using increasingly large guns with unbridled enthusiasm and optimism to the point where after they suffered enormous casualties during operation "shoot the immortal god-monster with the biggest gun we've found" their next approach, rather than falling to their knees and praying for forgiveness for their hubris in the face of divine judgement like the yevonites, was to distract it with some light music and then shoot it again with a slightly bigger gun

there's a bit during the operation mi'hen cutscene where the al bhed operating the big gun sees that sin isn't being affected and goes and turns a knob which makes the gun shoot harder. he turns it pretty far, too.

he was in charge of shooting a gun at a creature which had terrorized humanity for 1000 years and which had displayed total invulnerability to everything other than an aeon so powerful that summoning it burnt out 2 human souls like old lightbulbs and he thought "this gun's really big, eeeh, 40% power should probably be enough". that's how much the Al Bhed love guns, and Yevon hates them to exactly the same extent.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

BisbyWorl posted:

Rikku kept her daggers because they worked just fine back then and they work just fine now.

Rikku didn't use knives, though, she had gauntlets and punched poo poo. And yet when she's a Berserker, she uses Capoeira, a kind of Brazilian kickboxing.

Also Paine gets the best Dresspheres, her Songstress outfit has this David Bowie sort of thing going on and Full Throttle is a bird made of swords.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

Rikku has more style than Yuna and Paine, it totally fits her personality. Paine meanwhile is all about efficiency - while Rikku Capoeiras around, Paine's normal Berserker attack is like the fastest in the game, and the two hits of her attack as a Thief are simultaneous. And the delay on Rikku's gun attacks aren't necessarily bad, because timing is a thing in this game. Same way Paine's simultaneous Thief attack, or Yuna's delayed Lady Luck attack can be a blessing or a curse depending on the situation.

Songstress is Lenne's dressphere, not Yuna's. The Gunner dressphere represents Yuna's change from X.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My favourite Weird FFX2 Detail is that Leblanc is basically wearing the Lady Luck Dressphere. Check the other three girls, they each have a spade, diamond, or club, and Leblanc has the heart.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

YggiDee posted:

My favourite Weird FFX2 Detail is that Leblanc is basically wearing the Lady Luck Dressphere. Check the other three girls, they each have a spade, diamond, or club, and Leblanc has the heart.

X-2 remake where leblanc joins the party proper when?

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Why would she join that group of amateurs? She will be the main character of Leblanc Returns: FFX-3.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The massage was just that good okay?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

gigglefeimer posted:

Why would she join that group of amateurs? She will be the main character of Leblanc Returns: FFX-3.

But I wanted a party of her, Ormi and Logos going on their own adventures.

Be like FFVIII and playing as Seifer, Raijin and Fujin.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Leblanc's beastmaster dressphere just summons her two idiot goons instead of a pet

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

But I wanted a party of her, Ormi and Logos going on their own adventures.

Be like FFVIII and playing as Seifer, Raijin and Fujin.
Tbf you can make that team through Creature Creator but you can't directly control them in battle.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Anyone know why they had the FFX-2 English VAs for YRP randomly say Japanese phrases? Because it cracks me up every time and the first few times I heard them I was like "wait, what, was that Japanese?"

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Ormi and Logos are legit one of the biggest wasted potential moments in X-2. they were Yevon's clean-up boys (which doesn't get addressed in "present-day" beyond one missable sentence), they were involved in the Crimson Squad incident (which Paine never confronts them on), they implicitly had a similar "Yevon is bullshit, actually" journey to the gang in X (which goes straight from point A, unbothered banter-laden heretic murdering, to point B, rolling with Leblanc's Nooj-impressing project and ruing their past actions, with no in-between)

they could've used that to reinforce the thematic core of the game or give some much-needed characterization to the initial antagonists. maybe keep them plot-relevant throughout. but nope, apparently making brother be into his cousin was more important

fluffyDeathbringer fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 27, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

apparently making brother be into his cousin was more important

Trust me, it will pay off once I eventually make FF10-4, where Brother runs against Shinra to be the president of the FF7 world (and sadly loses, though he does find true love and eventually decides to raise his family in a little remote town called Nibelheim...)

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

they implicitly had a similar "Yevon is bullshit, actually" journey to the gang in X (which goes straight from point A, unbothered banter-laden heretic murdering, to point B, rolling with Leblanc's Nooj-impressing project and ruing their past actions, with no in-between)

Implicitly, maybe they did go through a heartfelt journey of repentance. Explicitly, Leblanc gave them the heel.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Anyone know why they had the FFX-2 English VAs for YRP randomly say Japanese phrases? Because it cracks me up every time and the first few times I heard them I was like "wait, what, was that Japanese?"

Like many things in X-2, the answer is Because It's Cool.

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 27, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Can you give some examples? I don't remember any.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think it's just for the festivalist dressphere which has like a traditional japanese thing going on

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It'll happen for others too. It's only in the remaster though so if you played the original and are thinking "huh I don't remember that?", well, that's why.

(I think technically it would have been added back when the International edition was first made, but that was only released in Japan - which might explain why they had english VAs doing random Japanese lines?)

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 28, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Maybe its because you turned off (English) subtitles :haw:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

Can you give some examples? I don't remember any.

"Yuna! Mairimasu!"

"Zettaide ikuyo!"

There's at least one other but I forget. It's just really jarring because their pronunciation isn't the greatest. I still think it's a good thing though because hey why not do that in this wacky game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ormi and Logos are legit one of the biggest wasted potential moments in X-2. they were Yevon's clean-up boys (which doesn't get addressed in "present-day" beyond one missable sentence), they were involved in the Crimson Squad incident (which Paine never confronts them on), they implicitly had a similar "Yevon is bullshit, actually" journey to the gang in X (which goes straight from point A, unbothered banter-laden heretic murdering, to point B, rolling with Leblanc's Nooj-impressing project and ruing their past actions, with no in-between)

they could've used that to reinforce the thematic core of the game or give some much-needed characterization to the initial antagonists. maybe keep them plot-relevant throughout. but nope, apparently making brother be into his cousin was more important
They were probably working backwards from "We have Doronjo, now we need Tonzura and Boyacky."