Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can admit I had a blind spot for Cornette. Probably still do. No excuses for it. Its a blindspot. Why? I don't know. When I was a shittier person and society was shittier he probably seemed less lovely, and as I grew and society grew he didn't and I just looked past it. Maybe its because I'm used to grading wrestling on a curve? Maybe its because the Trump stuff gave me cover to assume he was on the right side of things? Maybe its just because he was amusing me and targeting people I thought deserved it? I don't know. I knew about enough of the bad stuff that I won't excuse it. I was wrong and I don't know what broke me out of it but I'm glad it did. All I can do is apologize, move forward, and try and be better.

Something Cornette can't do which is the core of most of his problems. And I always knew that, I just used to find it funny for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the cornette schtick was hey look at this old miserable bastard rip a new one to people i dont like. in a way everyone of us is guilty in giving this idiot a platform for his racism and all of that

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
By the way, I should note that while he insisted that the near-riot in Wise, VA where he yelled the N-word at the security guard was blown way out of proportion by the Torch, it was basically the end of wrestling in Wise and the surrounding area.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DoctorGonzo posted:

the cornette schtick was hey look at this old miserable bastard rip a new one to people i dont like. in a way everyone of us is guilty in giving this idiot a platform for his racism and all of that

Yeah be mean to people I don’t like.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

flashy_mcflash posted:

I get it, but I personally don't have any connection to that. For the most part what gets me off is the spectacle of it all. At minimum I need a crowd of >30 people that's super into it, like a PWG. I don't think you need to be in a studio to have that kind of freedom though - just a company that is cool with whatever.

i am too young and from the wrong country to have any nostalgia for studio wrestling, i just liked the way it was shot and how it sounded. shame it got cancelled after 6 episodes

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave says that NWA asked Cornette to apologize and he wouldn’t so that’s why they canned him

Implication there is obviously “if he had apologized they would have continued to stand by him”

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

so what is a cool one hourish wrestling show which i can watch for free on a tuesday and it is not run by complete pieces of poo poo? there are like a billion wrestling leagues now there must be something out there

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

watch Gatoh Move. they upload a match to YouTube every day so if you wait or remember every few days you can get some short and fun matches. Riho is from there. MOTYC-haver Lulu Pencil is from there.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

AEW dark is released every Tuesday

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

oh but seriously I posted:

so what is a cool one hourish wrestling show which i can watch for free on a tuesday and it is not run by complete pieces of poo poo? there are like a billion wrestling leagues now there must be something out there

AEW Dark, it's the dark matches from Dynamite so it has insanely high production values

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mods please rename the thread to NWA White POWERRR so casual viewers know never to watch this show.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

Mods please rename the thread to NWA White POWERRR so casual viewers know never to watch this show.

A pivot to white supremacy would probably double their viewers.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

ThePariah posted:

And triple them if paired with an Aro Lucha invasion

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ThePariah posted:

It wouldn't even be that much of a pivot.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
So I haven't been watching the show and had no idea they'd been running the Kayfabe Cocktail bit for weeks until I saw people arguing that it was weird that it wasn't getting the complaints the Cornette thing was, which is whatever. But...am I an idiot for not thinking that the bit is that it's water? I got into a weirdly heated Twitter argument about this with someone I normally get along with swimmingly.

(Although even in the event that the intended joke really IS that it's water/Idol is selling "kayfabe" snake oil, there are about a zillion better ways to frame that than "giving women a mystery drink to get them into bed." But my gut is that it's still somewhere on the continuum between "Billy Dee Williams's Colt 45 ads" and "roofies.")

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

davidbix posted:

So I haven't been watching the show and had no idea they'd been running the Kayfabe Cocktail bit for weeks until I saw people arguing that it was weird that it wasn't getting the complaints the Cornette thing was, which is whatever. But...am I an idiot for not thinking that the bit is that it's water? I got into a weirdly heated Twitter argument about this with someone I normally get along with swimmingly.

(Although even in the event that the intended joke really IS that it's water/Idol is selling "kayfabe" snake oil, there are about a zillion better ways to frame that than "giving women a mystery drink to get them into bed." But my gut is that it's still somewhere on the continuum between "Billy Dee Williams's Colt 45 ads" and "roofies.")

its close enough to the knuckle it really needed to only be shown once. Kinda like the whole mae young hand thing before it starts feeling like someone is telling on themselves.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

davidbix posted:

I guess I can believe they didn't intend for it to be roofies, but I can't believe they intended the weird poo poo that dude on twitter was telling you. But. Any reasonable person would see what they actually put out and think it's roofies.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

how can you be a fan of 1980s wrestling and not immediately think they're roofies?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I assumed it was a roofies joke too, and perhaps (definitely) naively assumed that Idol himself was meant to be the butt of the joke for being the sad old guy who thinks this counts as "seducing" somebody. But then they played it again instead of it being a one-off, and given everything else that has come out I no longer want to give them the benefit of the doubt on anything.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Should I still get Matmania even if it has that NWA licensing?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i guess now is a poor time to launch my plans for an empty pink room arena AWA themed show where wrestlers fight each other each tuesday to earn points to take home a turkey huh

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i guess now is a poor time to launch my plans for an empty pink room arena AWA themed show where wrestlers fight each other each tuesday to earn points to take home a turkey huh

is the turkey alive

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The old school-style wrestling show was supposed to just take the good parts of the era and update everything else, but they kept the poo poo parts too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In fairness there was absolutely nothing about the Billy Corgan run, Dave Lagana booked, Jim Cornette voiced, TNA retread that should have promised that.

Dokken are probably fascists or something too.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Just existing in 2019 should promise that. But yeah, regressives gonna regress.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

into the fire, you're now a bad show.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The old school-style wrestling show was supposed to just take the good parts of the era and update everything else, but they kept the poo poo parts too.

They only kept the poo poo parts

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Mods rename thread National Wrestling Alliance: WHITE POWERRR Tuesdays at 6:05 EST

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

took a peek at today’s episode

did they make the show an impromptu empty arena show because of you know what

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The only thing I miss about this show is Tim Storm

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Vertical Lime posted:

took a peek at today’s episode

did they make the show an impromptu empty arena show because of you know what

yep! looks like they also shitcanned a taped triple threat #1 contender's match & just awarded the contendership to James Storm, and also threw out the gimmick that Thunder Rosa doesn't speak English, but they do have this:

wonder what they're going to do with next week, though, they advertised the RnR/Wild Cards tag title match that they actually taped...probably just going to dub over JC?

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Were the RNR/Wild Cards promos new? I assume they're chopping up what should've been this week's show, and will edit around showing Cornette on camera for the match next week? They always have the hard cam shot to fall back to that shouldn't show them, so as long as the match didn't leave the ring much.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Seams posted:

The only thing I miss about this show is Tim Storm

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I think it's possible the episodes will just air normally. I think they may have needed filler because they didn't have enough in the can to stretch to the PPV.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Stu Bennett is joining the NWA announce team.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/nwa/status/1202010921197023234?s=19

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

lol gently caress this company

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
What a swerve!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016