Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

What? 1/2 to 3/4 of the series he's trying to run away from any sort of responsibility. He's not "Ugh fine I'll do it", he's "Let's go in the opposite directio- OH GOD I DID A THING"

It's, again, the difference between the POV internal narrative of these characters and what they actually do. For an entire readthrough, when you get to any Rand/Mat/Perrin POV, try to completely ignore their internal musing and parse for what's actually happening and what the other characters' reactions to them are.

For Mat it's harder because before he (and everyone) accepts that he's going to be one of the great generals of the age and nothing will change that, he does try to avoid taking *overall* responsibility in a battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I mean Rands reasoning is okay if a bit suspicious most of the time but to everyone around him hes just mumbling to himself, listening to a man in his head. Then he snaps to attention, looks at you and decides life or death, then goes back to mumbling. Lots of difference in his internal thoughts vs actions

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah I mean Rands reasoning is okay if a bit suspicious most of the time but to everyone around him hes just mumbling to himself, listening to a man in his head. Then he snaps to attention, looks at you and decides life or death, then goes back to mumbling. Lots of difference in his internal thoughts vs actions

Yeah, there's several times where he wonders why everyone is looking at him funny when he's been spending the last 20 minutes wandering around talking to himself. None of the 3 guys think they're acting odd or extraordinary when they do something but everyone else sees what's happening.

It's the same thing when one of them says the other two know how to deal with women, and they all think the same thing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fair enough; actions speak louder than words and all that. I mostly just remember their words rather than actions from my singular read through :v:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
One of the other little dynamics I like is when Rand thinks about Mat or Perrin and he chastises himself for using them, but decides he has to anyway. Then Mat's doing his irresponsible schtick and Rand just plonks him in the way of something and lets ta'veren-ness and Mat's real nature take care of the rest.

Rand actually cottons to Mat's new skills pretty early on after they come back from Rhuidean IIRC.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah he sends Lan in right before the battle of Carhien to chat him up to figure out the extent.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
One thing I caught on this listenthrough that I don't remember noticing before was Olver "Setting a great store by his promises", i.e. he absorbed one of Mat's few redeeming qualities, not just the Horny Pervert stuff

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It's, again, the difference between the POV internal narrative of these characters and what they actually do. For an entire readthrough, when you get to any Rand/Mat/Perrin POV, try to completely ignore their internal musing and parse for what's actually happening and what the other characters' reactions to them are.

For Mat it's harder because before he (and everyone) accepts that he's going to be one of the great generals of the age and nothing will change that, he does try to avoid taking *overall* responsibility in a battle.

I think my favorite example of this is "slow, careful thinking is best" Perrin constantly realizing that he's shouting at people

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Brolander posted:

Mat's few redeeming qualities

MODS?!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

This besmirching of a man's good character will not stand.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

This besmirching of a man's good character will not stand.

:thunk:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i mean like, by the standards of the people around him who aren't birgitte or the band or whatever. trust me i love mat like a good wheel of time fan

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Horny I get, but pervert?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Uh yeah, he likes to "snuggle", disgusting

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Brolander posted:

Uh yeah, he likes to "snuggle", disgusting

I believe he also likes a bit of slap and tickle or something.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Nynaeve's chapters are great for the same reason. She has pretty much every quality that she complains about in men, and is often demonstrating that quality at that exact moment.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

\
Note that when Mat fights the Gholam he literally forces it back into a burning building.

Son of a bitch

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The same goes for Mat's generalship; he has this reputation as a gambler, a scoundrel, a risk-taker, and a braggart. And then you look at what he actually does and he's a ridiculously conservative meticulous planner who fortifies constantly and at every opportunity, relies on crossbows and heavy artillery, and prefers to flee rather than risk decisive battle so that he can pick his ground. His men love him because he never gambles with their lives, and he always gets paid up front.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 23, 2019

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Egwene was a marketing gimmick that was glued on the product on a late stage. She was like a member in a boy band or an action figure line in that her only purpose was to move units. She worked well in that role though, because without her the series would have been more like a Boys' Own Adventure like the Lord of the Rings was. And the reason that she wasn't a Ta'Veren was because all the Ta'Veren boys had originally been part of the same main character in the original plot, while she didn't exist in it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VikingofRock posted:

Nynaeve's chapters are great for the same reason. She has pretty much every quality that she complains about in men, and is often demonstrating that quality at that exact moment.

When Elayne and Nynaeve send Birgitte to talk to Mat in Crown of Swords, where he finally recognizes her for who she is, Nynaeve thinks to herself something like "thank god the Light they sent Birgitte, it would have been a catastrophe to send Thom or Juilin, they only would have gotten drunk together". When this all backfires spectacularly on Elayne and Nynaeve, the very last words of that chapter are Nynaeve's inner monologue "she knew she should have sent Thom and Juilin!".

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

When Elayne and Nynaeve send Birgitte to talk to Mat in Crown of Swords, where he finally recognizes her for who she is, Nynaeve thinks to herself something like "thank god the Light they sent Birgitte, it would have been a catastrophe to send Thom or Juilin, they only would have gotten drunk together". When this all backfires spectacularly on Elayne and Nynaeve, the very last words of that chapter are Nynaeve's inner monologue "she knew she should have sent Thom and Juilin!".

Also Birgitte and Mat got drunk together.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

Egwene was a marketing gimmick that was glued on the product on a late stage. She was like a member in a boy band or an action figure line in that her only purpose was to move units. She worked well in that role though, because without her the series would have been more like a Boys' Own Adventure like the Lord of the Rings was. And the reason that she wasn't a Ta'Veren was because all the Ta'Veren boys had originally been part of the same main character in the original plot, while she didn't exist in it.

You put way too much stock into super early conceptions of the story from the 1980s.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

we need the original Jordan Edit from before those goddamned editors ruined it by adding women

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Also Birgitte and Mat got drunk together.

Robert Jordan's The Waste of Time - Also Birgitte and Mat got drunk together.

It really is the best summary of these books.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Anias posted:

Robert Jordan's The Waste of Time - Also Birgitte and Mat got drunk together.

It really is the best summary of these books.

The thread's name is a superior one.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I feel like Tormund would slot right into Team Matgitte Drunks

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

ChubbyChecker posted:

The thread's name is a superior one.

For a thread title sure, but as a one sentence summary - "Mat and birgitte get drunk together" has everything you need to know.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Anias posted:

For a thread title sure, but as a one sentence summary - "Mat and birgitte get drunk together" has everything you need to know.

Since Birgitte's presence in the physical world is a bit of a spoiler, I'd personally rather keep it out of the thread title. I'm fine with saying that people who haven't finished the series browse this thread at their own risk, but IMO just seeing the thread title shouldn't give anything away.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

VikingofRock posted:

Since Birgitte's presence in the physical world is a bit of a spoiler, I'd personally rather keep it out of the thread title. I'm fine with saying that people who haven't finished the series browse this thread at their own risk, but IMO just seeing the thread title shouldn't give anything away.

Rand kills Dumbledore.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

VikingofRock posted:

This is a good point, and I agree, but what about people who have read just through book 2, and start thinking "Wait, Mat's the hornblower, does he get his hands on it again and summon the heroes of the ages just for a pub crawl?" It'd be great, but it'd also be a let-down when they get to the truth.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I love Wheel of Time, and there's one scene in particular that just - it's such a payoff.

When Nynaeve heals stilling and both Siuan and Nynaeve realise just what she did, and then the ramifications when the Forsaken hear of it and just, dismiss it entirely. It's such a good development and so well done

For a character that I started off disliking as much as I did, Nynaeve ends up being my absolute favourite character by the end of the series alongside Min.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

tithin posted:

I love Wheel of Time, and there's one scene in particular that just - it's such a payoff.

When Nynaeve heals stilling and both Siuan and Nynaeve realise just what she did, and then the ramifications when the Forsaken hear of it and just, dismiss it entirely. It's such a good development and so well done

For a character that I started off disliking as much as I did, Nynaeve ends up being my absolute favourite character by the end of the series alongside Min.

I mean that scene is one of the ones in the series that still make me tear up so.

fuckin Verin at the end does it every time though

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Or Nynaeve going from town to town in the Borderlands. That's the highest payoff in the whole series in my opinion.

The Golden Crane flies for Tarmon Gai'don.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Just LOL if you aren’t a named contributor in an early version (say the first four or six books) rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan FAQ.

I got some actual computer games out of posting on that newsgroup as a teen, a kind lady in the US had a husband who worked on the Delta Force games and sent me copies.

Man, now I'm nostalgic.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Osmosisch posted:

Delta Force games
VOXEL TECHNOLOGY

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So I must have missed this in my re-read: why does Tuon rename and demote Egeanin? Is it because Tuon found out that she helped some marath'damane (Elayne, Nynaeve, and Bethamin)? Or because Tuon is jealous that Egeanin is pretending to be Mat's lover? Or both, or something else?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
She was working with Mat against the empire's return.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

She was also not being ms etiquette for the low blood

my favorite Nynaeve moment was before dumping lan off in the borderlands she mentioned about how tired he must be (or something) from riding a horse for so long then being ridden.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/KWholesaler/status/1199384237352329216?s=19

There's even a good Sanderson burn further down, the thread has it all.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mat Cauthon posted:

https://twitter.com/KWholesaler/status/1199384237352329216?s=19

There's even a good Sanderson burn further down, the thread has it all.

Tugging myself with crossed arms here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*smile that does not reach my eyes*