Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I don’t know why anyone is shocked at how big the changes are. This always happens lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This always happens lol.
???

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I was expecting a lot, I wasn't expecting everyone to be Diet LD post-25 haha

Are there any queuing/matchmaking alterations? I can't do much right now except scroll through the update page while muttering "woooaahhhhhh" irl

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I got a work call right as my first game on the new patch loaded and I spent 30 mins on speakerphone about a major issue, and read emails, and sent emails, and also played Pugna at the same time and I had no idea what was going on and now my head hurts.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dota has always had huge loving changes to the game like this over the years. It’s not new.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

BabyRyoga posted:

Valve is dumb

Why not just rebrand the game as Dota 3 at this point, and generate free hype? Cause it isn't Dota 2 anymore, that's for sure.

Because that will create some degree of scrutiny over "Well is this REALLY a sequel" just like it did for the recent announcements of Overwatch 2 and Path of Exile 2

Why do that when they've already just created a ton of talk among Dota players and will get even the most skeptical people to log on for the first time in months in check this crazy poo poo out firsthand

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Dota has always had huge loving changes to the game like this over the years. It’s not new.

Neutral items has to be the biggest change ever, though. And that's not even the whole patch.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
if anything, at this point they should change the name to just DOTA

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

people freaked out like this when talents were added and said the game was LoL, this is no different

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

emdash posted:

that would be a cool change

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

emdash posted:

I would support this

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
This is the biggest patch I've ever seen and I've been playing since wc3 dota. Almost 15 years? This is way bigger than talents.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
God drat this is looking really nice. Can't finish my French class fast enough! Depeche-vous!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

trying to read patch notes and do work and watch draskyl gently caress around and keep up with thread what item is making it so that everyone is controlling two units now

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

IcePhoenix posted:

trying to read patch notes and do work and watch draskyl gently caress around and keep up with thread what item is making it so that everyone is controlling two units now
Couriers are personal, fully controllable (unlike turbo), and can use items after you hit certain level thresholds.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ItohRespectArmy posted:

people freaked out like this when talents were added and said the game was LoL, this is no different

Exactly. Even small QOL changes made people mad that the game was LoL now like being able to see the spawn boxes of neutral jungle creeps and poo poo.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I'm hesitant about the courier changes and neutral items but everything else looks nice. Snapfire looks like a lot of fun

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Incoherence posted:

Couriers are personal, fully controllable (unlike turbo), and can use items after you hit certain level thresholds.

oh, I doubt that will come up in any pub games unless they go like 90+ minutes

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i am falling for it and reinstalling dota see you in 2 weeks when i havent showered and have gained 30lbs

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I can barely control 1 character these days, how am I supposed to control 2.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
patch is actually trash. outposts are an unnecessary gimmick making map movement and macro more convoluted, cool new items dropping from neutrals is retarded and incentivizing passive afk farming instead of pvp/objectives,
and the expectation that youll have to micro 2 units constantly now in 60+ min games is fundamentally not what dota 2 is about

Not Al-Qaeda fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 26, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

patch is actually trash. outposts are an unnecessary gimmick making map movement and macro more convoluted, cool new items dropping from neutrals is dumb as gently caress and incentivizing passive afk farming instead of pvp/objectives, and new hotd + lycan is retarded

Can you not use that fuckin word

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
dont use ableist slurs

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Here's whats gonna happen with the courier in 99.99% of games that go to 90+ minutes where it can actually get items:

I'm gonna put items on the courier and use it hell yeah

*fumbles courier micro and hero micro, resulting in the courier dying and the hero running into the enemy team and then also dying*

Map control and scaling from map control will end games in extremely big ways late game where heros will get jungle items and level 30 and will absolutely annihilate the turtling team the courier will not be a major factor outside of top immortal games/pro games that stalemate

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 26, 2019

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
this patch was designed in order to get bulldog on a pro team again

lone druid now has thirty slots

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
wards are literally free and mongoloid supports in 4k still leave 4 of them in shop stock gg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
the xpm is insane now, 6 players in my last game have it over 1k, mine was 1.6k..

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

IcePhoenix posted:

oh, I doubt that will come up in any pub games unless they go like 90+ minutes

Yeah a lot of this stuff is pointless for 99% of games. The big thing is the tier 1 and 2 neutral items I think, and the new control point things in place of the side shops.

Plus all the hero changes of course.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

this neutral item poo poo has to be reverted. random chance of a random item that can be pretty impactful...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kild posted:

this neutral item poo poo has to be reverted. random chance of a random item that can be pretty impactful...

This I actually agree with

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Without having tried playing with it, I think that the concept could work, but how random it is, and the variation between the drops really seems like a balance nightmare.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

wards are literally free and mongoloid supports in 4k still leave 4 of them in shop stock gg

lmao perhaps you're the idiot considering they are free and you have ten slots now

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
15 million dollar falling sky drop at exactly 70 minutes

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm fine with some RNG, there is already plenty in the game with rosh and runes and uphill and whatnot. On paper I don't think the neut items are like hideously game swinging but certainly will let a team with map control end the game earlier.

Also lol at getting home and seeing Purge at hour 5+ only down to Doom

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I'm fine with some RNG, there is already plenty in the game with rosh and runes and uphill and whatnot. On paper I don't think the neut items are like hideously game swinging but certainly will let a team with map control end the game earlier.

Also lol at getting home and seeing Purge at hour 5+ only down to Doom

purge is the stupidest person in dota 2

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ZionestLord posted:

:wrong:

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
These jungle drop items are OP as hell and totally RNG. Like, it's one thing if they were just base stat boosts. But these items are totally game changing. Abilities were neat, but these items honestly make the game too drat complex.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The courier item thing is hilarious and also sort of a clever outlet for those games that stalemate post 60 minutes

There's no stalemate with these jungle items tho. It's total easy mode for anyone who controls the jungle.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

ZionestLord posted:

i see u have never met jpj (:<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
My first thought was that supports will probably inherit a lot of these items as cores and junglers farm the six slots they actually need.