Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Darthemed posted:

Sure, if someone reads a two-sentence summary of a film and assumes that it would contain content they don't want to experience, they're completely justified in not watching it to find out whether the summary was fully illustrative. The problem comes when you go out and start attacking a film you haven't actually seen for content you're guessing it contains, and spreading uninformed vilification. That leads to situations like the one on this page, in which one marginalized person is attacking a work for being queerphobic, when it's actually a work by another marginalized person, one which draws significantly from their own experiences as a queer person.

Had someone who had actually experienced the work not stepped in to question the assumption, how many people (with little impetus to check Wikipedia, or who don't know Gregg Araki's background) would have come away from the exchange unfairly associating the title Mysterious Skin with homophobia?
I don't disagree with anything you're saying. We're gonna draw superficial impressions of films we haven't seen based on the information we have. You can't stop people from forming first impressions. Sometimes we'll have it wrong. Its a shame if we pass those wrong impressions onto others but all you can really do is defer to others when they say our impressions are wrong and give good reasoning and not be stubborn about that first idea.

Which the OP did. So my issue is with the poster who attacked them and reduced their perspective to "just wanting to be outraged." Especially since the OP has been open that that perspective was as a marginalized party justifiably sensitive to the issue.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

firstly: Miller winning would mean no video game stuff, either, and there's a reasonable chance that all the existing sequels would be found to be in violation and taken out of circulation. when i say he wants to kill the franchise, i'm not being figurative or hyperbolic. his active goal in this, from what I understand, is to remove Jason Voorhees from pop culture, because Jason Voorhees is a perversion of his ideas.

secondly: F13 is probably the one franchise where you could just keep making endless sequels and have them not suck, because the base concept of "dude in hockey mask slaughters people" is pretty adaptable.

I wasn't specifically responding to the Miller situation just to the idea that there needs to be more F13 sequels. It sucks if he is trying to block the release of the old films. Also, I'm just tired in general of 80s franchises that keep on going forever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

Sure, if someone reads a two-sentence summary of a film and assumes that it would contain content they don't want to experience, they're completely justified in not watching it to find out whether the summary was fully illustrative. The problem comes when you go out and start attacking a film you haven't actually seen for content you're guessing it contains, and spreading uninformed vilification. That leads to situations like the one on this page, in which one marginalized person is attacking a work for being queerphobic, when it's actually a work by another marginalized person, one which draws significantly from their own experiences as a queer person.

Had someone who had actually experienced the work not stepped in to question the assumption, how many people (with little impetus to check Wikipedia, or who don't know Gregg Araki's background) would have come away from the exchange unfairly associating the title Mysterious Skin with homophobia?

It really wasn't that serious, it was an off-hand post and they almost immediately corrected themselves once they read about the film. And the initial post was a honest request for a recommendation, so it kinda sucks that things have now gone beyond that in a negative way.

I can understand the sentiment that when you've seen yourself represented in film a certain way so many times, it can be hard to continue digging through all that garbage to find the nuance that may or may not be there. At a certain point I'm sure it gets tiresome to see yourself consistently defined in popular media as someone who experienced trauma or overcame tough circumstances. People are more than the trauma they may have experienced and certainly there's a place for those stories but there's also a point where as a society we should be ready to go past that and tell other types of stories that marginalized people can relate to.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The art of cinema is bourgeoisie exploitation.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

I can understand the sentiment that when you've seen yourself represented in film a certain way so many times, it can be hard to continue digging through all that garbage to find the nuance that may or may not be there. At a certain point I'm sure it gets tiresome to see yourself consistently defined in popular media as someone who experienced trauma or overcame tough circumstances. People are more than the trauma they may have experienced and certainly there's a place for those stories but there's also a point where as a society we should be ready to go past that and tell other types of stories that marginalized people can relate to.
Absolutely. But Mysterious Skin is almost two decades old, so devaluing it for drawing from a widely-used narrative arc (to drastically generalize), at a time when getting wide distribution for a film with a gay protagonist (let alone one made by an openly gay auteur film-maker) was even harder than it is today, feels a bit unfair to me.

And wanting more variety in the films told using characters with qualities that you recognize in yourself still doesn't justify going out and dogging a movie you haven't seen.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

firstly: Miller winning would mean no video game stuff, either, and there's a reasonable chance that all the existing sequels would be found to be in violation and taken out of circulation. when i say he wants to kill the franchise, i'm not being figurative or hyperbolic. his active goal in this, from what I understand, is to remove Jason Voorhees from pop culture, because Jason Voorhees is a perversion of his ideas.

secondly: F13 is probably the one franchise where you could just keep making endless sequels and have them not suck, because the base concept of "dude in hockey mask slaughters people" is pretty adaptable.

Do you have any links about his wanting to kill the franchise? So far everything I've read's sounded like it was about not receiving royalties.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

Absolutely. But Mysterious Skin is almost two decades old, so devaluing it for drawing from a widely-used narrative arc (to drastically generalize), at a time when getting wide distribution for a film with a gay protagonist (let alone one made by an openly gay auteur film-maker) was even harder than it is today, feels a bit unfair to me.

And wanting more variety in the films told using characters with qualities that you recognize in yourself still doesn't justify going out and dogging a movie you haven't seen.

Kvlt! started that one, I love the guy but this one is on him. The other poster immediately said "whoops I made a bad assumption there, I see my mistake, sorry about that", and then Kvlt! jumped down their throat. It was a throwaway nothing post that didn't need to end up in a multi-page derail, which I'm now contributing to. I'll drop it now.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dont u put that evil on me ricky bobby

edit: not even worth the battle

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 26, 2019

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All horror is queerphobic compared to the one true queer horror, Seed of Chucky, which I stan

Pomp fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 26, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pomp posted:

All horror is queerphobic compared to the once true queer horror, Seed to Chucky, which I stan

i stan it too so does john waters between us 3 the motion passes

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Remember when people used to say Seed of Chucky was bad? gently caress outta here

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Pomp posted:

All horror is queerphobic compared to the one true queer horror, Seed to Chucky, which I stan
drat, laying a slam on Desperate Living.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Basebf555 posted:

I think that's a false choice. Film is artifice, it's about putting images together to convey some sort of meaning to people who will see it. But the images don't have that meaning until you put them together in a specific way that you think conveys the meaning you want to convey. It's at the core of film as an art form, so why not consider things like marginalized people and how the audience might interpret your thoughts on those issues when they see the film? As a director you're doing that in a thousand different ways already, so to say that you're not going to consider how the audience will interpret the film in a social justice context is a cop-out in my opinion.

I don't see it necessarily as a cop out, though I'm sure bad actors would use that excuse to peddle garbage ideas, like a neo nazi who peddles propaganda under the protection of free expression. But spelling everything out to an ignorant audience can have the adverse effect of compromising the work, or at the very least, insulting the viewers intelligence. The famously-criticized scene in Psycho following the big reveal is a clunky as hell exposition dump that laboriously explains to the audience that Norman has a unique mental disorder, and is not just a murderous transvestite fueled by sexual perversion. And yet, I'm sure there were still people who took that lesson away from the movie anyway. Art is an expression, and sure, one wants to convey that expression to an audience in a way that accurately represents one's desired intent, but my beef is when that expectation of an audiences' reaction compromises the integrity of the art that represents that expression. A good portion of a general audience will always either be too dumb to get your meaning (like someone who would think Mysterious Skin were anti-gay even after watching it and knowing it's background), or too biased by their own prejudices to care about your meaning (like how American History X is enjoyed by a lot of skinheads), so to use their expectations as a compass for one's art is, to me, misguided. Of course, this isn't the idea behind the production of most studio movies, since they're made with the goal of generating capital, but :shrug:

Maybe I'm just antiquated in my ideas about art. But I don't know if I would want to be in a world where no art was free to be problematic, even dumb bigoted art, because I think the dialectic about those issues is furthered, through criticism and continual cultural reevaluation, by having those reference points, as upsetting or even dangerous as they may be, and I find a great deal of value in that. I Spit on Your Grave, Cannibal Ferox, and God's Not Dead probably shouldn't exist. But in a way, I'm kind of glad that they do.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the S Craig Zahler Conundrum

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's the karmic backlash against Friday the 13th being the only slasher franchise to remain consistently entertaining without taking the bumble stumbles of the others even when it should have.

Also it's extremely loving bad that this is happening.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Miller hasn't talked about removing Jason from anything. He just said what Friday the 13th ended up as is way off from what he intended (these are old interviews), but he hasn't said anything about having a desire to make a new series sans Jason, or doing anything with the property besides making a mint as the new rights holder. Miller went to Cunningham to ask for a piece of the pie, and made gestures towards having a certain amount of rights regarding the franchise, being the writer and creator of the characters, and instead of paying him off or making a deal, Cunningham just decided to say gently caress you, take it to court, so he did.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Jason X is the best Thanksgiving horror film. Prove me wrong.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Give me Friday the 13th and let me write my class warfare film that takes place in the 80s where a bunch of yuppies are trying to turn Crystal Lake into a ski resort

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

weekly font posted:

Give me Friday the 13th and let me write my class warfare film that takes place in the 80s where a bunch of yuppies are trying to turn Crystal Lake into a ski resort

I'd watch that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Give me a fibanaci spiral of f13 sequels set further and further into the future that end with Jasont travelin back in time to jump start queer culture by being first gay caveman or give me death

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Basebf555 posted:

I do think that taking a step back and taking more of an overview on a film is worthwhile, sometimes a few plot details aren't good enough to overtake a negative stereotype that's being presented by a film and that's probably also being absorbed by many in the audience.

Cast in point, The Silence of the Lambs. It's been discussed many times about how Thomas Harris wrote Jame Gumb specifically to be someone who isn't actually trans, he just thinks he is because he hates himself so much. Well, is that really any better? In the end, does it change the fact that many many people came away from the movie with this image of Buffalo Bill as a crazed, violent transsexual?

Late to the convo, but I have never seen any actual evidence that people come away from SotL with the image of Buffalo Bill as a crazed, violent transsexual. Anecdotal, obviously, but what I've actually encountered is poor reading. This is not to say that SotL isn't transphobic, or that it isn't even just generally queer-phobic. The problem is that Buffalo Bill is not a transsexual, just like Norman Bates is not a transsexual, and just like both movies have bits of exposition in which an "expert" character asserts that they are pathologically distinct - and therefore we're no longer actually talking about the movie. We're now just talking about some nebulous, hypothetical spectator or group of spectators who are alleged to have also misread the film, or the film itself doesn't "communicate its themes" well enough, and so on...

Which is to say that most people don't really pay that much attention to movies, even when they're trying. The assertion that they come away with any particular "image" doesn't reckon with the fact that our relationship with media is composed on a mass scale and is largely passive and uncritical. So rather than making presumptions about what people "take away" from a movie, it is far more important to just do the work of identifying systemic patterns that we can then say could, theoretically, contribute to a non-exclusive ideological framework.

From this perspective, it is not actually particularly relevant whether Buffalo Bill or Norman Bates are transsexuals or not. It isn't even particularly relevant whether
"people," in the abstract, think that these characters are transsexuals. What's relevant is precisely that this entire trope of the transsexual killer doesn't even technically exist - because actual representation of transgender and transsexual identities is being explicitly excluded from the entire pattern of representations. We have Z-Man in Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, sure - but then we just have a bunch of sociopath/psychopath/"human monster" characters who have been traumatized into their current pathology and behavior. And even in that context, most of these movies are marginal cult films that virtually nobody sees anymore or gives a poo poo about. The evidence that a pattern of "violent transsexuals" in film and media has significantly contributed to broad social conceptions of who transgender or transsexual people are is just not qualitatively evident. What is far more qualitatively evident is that there are no transgender or transsexual people in white cis-patriarchal movie land. The problem is so bad that they can't even be villains.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Give me an F13 with Jason crashing in on a slobs vs. snobs summer camp showdown.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They on the book and in the movie explicitly stated Buffalo Bill is just loving crazy.

It's actually rather progressive

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Give me an F13 with Jason crashing in on a slobs vs. snobs summer camp showdown.

I'd watch that too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

They on the book and in the movie explicitly stated Buffalo Bill is just loving crazy.

It's actually rather progressive

not really

i mean i love Silence of the Lambs but let's not pretend its portrayal of a queer person skinning women alive because he wants to be one is progressive

Edit slight correction I think I’m remembering now that Bill skins them after they’re dead but point still stands

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 27, 2019

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the Hannibal tv show is far, far more interesting and arguably progressive than the books

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

alf_pogs posted:

the Hannibal tv show is far, far more interesting and arguably progressive than the books

Sure, Jan.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hollismason posted:

Jason X is the best Thanksgiving horror film. Prove me wrong.

What about Thankskilling? :colbert:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Darthemed posted:

I would watch the hell out of a slasher with the Wet Hot American Summer cast

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
You're both wrong, the best Thanksgiving horror movie is Blood Rage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FHi2AHakyw

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 27, 2019

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

not really

i mean i love Silence of the Lambs but let's not pretend its portrayal of a queer person skinning women alive because he wants to be one is progressive

Edit slight correction I think I’m remembering now that Bill skins them after they’re dead but point still stands

It kind of is because it turns the trope on it's head that same trope that's found in dress to kill is portrayed rather realistic

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Stink Billyums posted:

You're both wrong, the best Thanksgiving horror movie is Blood Rage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FHi2AHakyw

I mean Blood Rage has Ted Raimi as a drive-in bathroom condom salesman, so there’s really no compare.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Someone recommend me something overlooked, bleak and creepy to watch tonight. TIA

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Someone recommend me something overlooked, bleak and creepy to watch tonight. TIA

Angst

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anyone say Skin?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ya boi just found the vampire lovers on bluray for 10 bux at barnes and nobles gently caress yes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Firing it up now. Thanks.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

On one hand, a turkey puppet rapes someone

On the other hand, a turkey puppet rapes someone

On the third hand, there's a worm fisting a robot to open a wormhole

And on the fourth hand is a rapping grandma muppet

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Iron Crowned posted:

It's such a piece of poo poo but fun, people sleep on Thankskilling. Still never got around to seeing the sequel (3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

ya boi just found the vampire lovers on bluray for 10 bux at barnes and nobles gently caress yes

def a top 10 vampire movie. Blu Ray looks great too.