Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's not even the same human characters, right?

Protagonist Man, Daughter, and Contractually Obligated Chinese Scientist are all returning IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Suicide Squad was more of a complete restart, though? The original Motherbox/invasion storyline was completely dropped and they had like three weeks to put together a new story from scratch? Hopefully this isn’t that drastic.

Violator
May 15, 2003

HannibalBarca posted:

Protagonist Man, Daughter, and Contractually Obligated Chinese Scientist are all returning IIRC

Would have been nice if the characters from Kong met up with Serazewa (sp?) from Godzilla, but they had to kill all of the interesting characters in KOTM. :(

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They should hire Joss Whedon to shoot some scenes with "snappy and witty" dialogue and prat falls into cleavage. Maybe some flatly lit scenes of the carnage from human level.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

Sucks we won’t get any cool movies like KOTM because y’all suck and bitch all the time.

Come on man - compared to G'14 and Kong - it's cheap and janky.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

HannibalBarca posted:

All the bad characters, got it.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

Sucks we won’t get any cool movies like KOTM because y’all suck and bitch all the time.

I saw the movie twice in the theater. Bought the blu-ray first day it was out. I've bought an ungodly amount of merchandise for my son. KOTM didn't (semi)bomb because of me, it bombed because it wasn't good and it's a niche genre in the first place.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All the bad characters, got it.

Eh, Zhang Ziyi was the best of the bunch as far as acting goes and she's just the Fairy twins anyways so she can stay.

Bradley Whitford is returning and I hope they do to him what they did to Sally Hawkins in KOTM and gank his rear end in the first act so he doesn't annoy anyone ever again.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Eh, Zhang Ziyi was the best of the bunch as far as acting goes and she's just the Fairy twins anyways so she can stay.

Bradley Whitford is returning and I hope they do to him what they did to Sally Hawkins in KOTM and gank his rear end in the first act so he doesn't annoy anyone ever again.

Look, I didn't like a lot of his shtick, but at least he wasn't as bad as the gangly nerd gently caress off

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I saw the movie twice in the theater. Bought the blu-ray first day it was out. I've bought an ungodly amount of merchandise for my son. KOTM didn't (semi)bomb because of me, it bombed because it wasn't good and it's a niche genre in the first place.

Kong was incredibly entertaining and Godzilla 2014 is a genuine Good Movie™. It didn't have to be a niche genre movie.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

UmOk posted:

Kong was incredibly entertaining and Godzilla 2014 is a genuine Good Movie™. It didn't have to be a niche genre movie.

Ok...?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Oh boy. Not good. Can someone with a better knowledge of film history come up with some examples of movies that had to be extensively reshot/retooled and ended up being good? The best I can think of recently was Rogue One, though there is some debate about how much removed/added.

Just picked 9 year old Pants Jr. at the bus and broke the bad news to him. He scrunched up his face in disgust and said, "They better make a good movie. If they are going to make me wait this long it better be good. If it's not good I'm going to kill people."

Even then Rogue One definitely had a 'left to bleed out on the cutting room floor' feel for the first 2/3 and it's really lucky the finale was so good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

KOTM is the best drunk midnight movie ever made.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That is a very weird way to abbreviate Final Wars. It doesn't even have all the right letters.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CelticPredator posted:

I never expected to become this powerful, by criticizing monster movies

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CelticPredator posted:

Persistent defenders of mediocrity shouldn't throw stones in terms of "people like you are ruining movies."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shut up and let me have my dumb monster movies you fuccccks!

This is how we got Justice League.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There are so many Kaiju movies out there. You really don’t need to debase yourself.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Shut up and let me have my dumb monster movies you fuccccks!

This is how we got Justice League.

KOTM is the Justice League of the series

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

UmOk posted:

Harsh, but fair.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bradley Whitford is returning

:negative:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna pick up KOTM on Black Friday because the UHD is gonna be like $8, and that's about how much I think the movie is worth.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Not an emptyquote.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Maxwell Lord posted:

While I think KOTM certainly had its problems, I'm wary of this sort of thing because trying to broadly "fix" things in response to box office/reviews can result in just a mess (see: Suicide Squad.)

Like, a lot of what's wrong with KOTM is the protagonist being kinda clumsily written and made to be the active Doer of All Things because someone took their screenwriting class a little too seriously, so unless Kong vs. Godzilla has the exact same kind of lead character and plot structure I'm not sure what retooling you need to do to not make that specific mistake again. It's not even the same human characters, right?

And honestly, wasn't a major reason it underperformed just Avengers: Endgame? NOTHING did well in that wake, Shazam, Detective Pikachu, etc. until you get to Disney's live action Aladdin and Lion King. That film sucked up a LOT of oxygen.

Warner Bros. has a habit recently of dramatic overcorrection.

I wish king of the monsters had been the kind of weird mess suicide squad was

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Sqwad rips even in spite of the hack editing job, everything else still shines through.

UmOk posted:

Nah it's Jurassic World, it's flaws are bone deep in the story.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It's Spider-Man 3.

I like Spider-Man 3.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

KotM sucked rear end

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I remember hyping it up for my uncle who had never really watched Godzilla movies. I was visiting them in England and was like, we gotta go opening weekend. After it ended it was sorta just.... meh. Deflated the entire evening.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This thread is infected!!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We need to release the titans to fight the infection!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Interestingly enough, the long delay to release KotM may have been what saved GvsKong from being scrapped.

I don't think production of GvsKong began or was at least well underway during KotM's original release date, but since kotM was released way later as a poorly reviewed flopbuster, too much had already went into GvsKong.

OR, the studio was confident in both properties no matter the outcome. Guess we'll never know.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I didn't like KOTM the first time I saw it, but that was because I was expecting it to have the same tone as Godzilla (solemn, slow, monsters barely glimpsed for most of the movie, that sense of scale that Edwards did so well).

Instead I got underwater artillery and supersonic flying wings and underwater civilizations and Bradley Whitford, all at a breakneck pace. It was jarring and wrongfooted me for most of the movie, I couldn't get into it.

Then I realized what it actually was (as someone ITT said, the Destroy All Monsters to Godzilla 2014's Godzilla 1954) and now I like it a whole lot better. I even sort of like Bradley Whitford now, although I wish there were fewer quips, humans in kaiju movies should play it straight.

KOTM's script is absolute dogshit of course, but then all the Monsterverse scripts are dogshit*. KOTM's probably has my favourite line out of all the movies though ("I have bad news." "Just say 'news', it's always bad.")

*(One of the interesting things about the Monsterverse is seeing which actors can sell lovely dialogue. Bryan Cranston can. John Goodman can. Samuel L. Jackson can't. Brie Larson doesn't even try. John C. Reilly absolutely can. Millie Bobby Brown is very good at it. Kyle Chandler isn't. Charles Dance can do it in his sleep.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Watanabe runs the dang dialogue store.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Watanabe runs the dang dialogue store.

Watanabe wrestling with the fortune cookie line was the biggest fight scene in the whole movie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/omgblog/status/1198058722934738944?s=21

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I finally watched Mothra for the first time, and oh man, that is a Fun Movie.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really liked KOTM but whenever someone heard me talk about it and thought they should see it too, I had to tell them "uh, you probably shouldn't." I don't think there is any movie that I've enjoyed as much that I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I watched both the US cut and the Japanese cut of King Kong vs Godzilla, and I have to say that the US cut really did a disservice to the film.

They made some parts of the film total nonsense. A great example is the submarine part. When you edit all those scenes together, the chronology makes very little sense. When they play out like they do in the Japanese version, it actually has a lot of tension to it.

And you get to hear English speakers say "Gojira!"

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That’s fine. It gives Legendary the opportunity to start a new contract with Kadokawa :getin:

Legendary Gamera or bust, damnit :argh:

I got the green Shin Godzilla by Sunguts the other week. It's a giant thing of hideous beauty.

Fire Lizard by Doug Hardy, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So during a WB expo of upcoming films, a very brief snippet of GvK was shown Kong taking a swing at Big G atop an aircraft carrier. And yes, they are the same size