Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

lmfao did you just

He committed the cardinal sin of SomethingAwful: talking bad about video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

The penny arcade vs Jack Thompson thing was like watching one monkey and a slightly different species of monkey throwing their poop at each other

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Seriously, go read the wikipedia breakdown of Jack Thompson's legal career. It's pretty interesting given that for like a decade he was "the guy who hates video games" and nothing else but if you go back over all the stuff he was involved in and all the dumb poo poo he kept trying to do it turns out that actually he really was an enormous rear end in a top hat.

quote:

In 1988, Thompson became involved in a feud with WIOD Radio host Neil Rogers, after Thompson was instrumental in persuading the FCC to fine WIOD $10,000 for airing such parody songs as "Boys Want Sex in the Morning" on Rogers' show. Thompson also sued the station for violating a December 1987 agreement to end on-air harassment against him. For the next eight months, Thompson recorded all of Rogers' broadcasts and documented 40,000 mentionings of his name. Thompson claimed that one of the terms of his agreement with the station was that the station would pay him $5,000 each time his name was mentioned, totaling $200 million in the suit

quote:

In 1988, he ran for prosecutor against then-incumbent Dade County State Attorney Janet Reno, after she had declined his request to prosecute Neil Rogers. Thompson gave Reno a letter at a campaign event requesting that she check a box to indicate whether she was homosexual, bisexual, or heterosexual. Thompson said that Reno then put her hand on his shoulder and responded, "I'm only interested in virile men. That's why I'm not attracted to you." He filed a police report accusing her of battery for touching him.

quote:

Thompson came to national prominence in the controversy over 2 Live Crew's As Nasty As They Wanna Be album. (Luke Skyywalker Records, the company of 2 Live Crew's Luther Campbell, had previously released a record supporting Reno in her race against Thompson.) On January 1, 1990, he wrote to Martinez and Reno asking them to investigate whether the album violated Florida obscenity laws. Although the state prosecutor declined to proceed with an investigation, Thompson pushed local officials in various parts of the state to block sales of the album, along with N.W.A's Straight Outta Compton. In sending documents to opponents, Thompson would frequently attach a photocopy of his driver's license, with a photo of Batman pasted over his own. Thompson said, "I have sent my opponents pictures of Batman to remind them I'm playing the role of Batman. Just like Bruce Wayne helped the police in the movie, I have had to assist the sheriff of Broward County." He also wore a Batman wristwatch.

It goes on like this for a while.

Kai Tave has a new favorite as of 08:00 on Sep 25, 2019

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Oh god he is the king of self-own.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Yeah the next part where he starts spreading the theory into other silent hill games and banning other mods/admins is the juiciest bit. I hope someone can find it.

Is there a mental illness term for when someone latches on to an idea like this and inserts it into everything, eventually self destructing their hobbies/relationships/life? Do they make a pill for this?

Ya, it's called monomania

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

By popular demand posted:

Oh god he is the king of self-own.

In another life Jack Thompson would absolutely be an insane alt-right youtube grifter with a patreon and a pending lawsuit against Krang T. Nelson for calling him "Jack Dumpson" on twitter.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Leave Britney Alone!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy gently caress Janet Reno dunked him lmao

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

She burnt his rear end alive like a Branch Davidian.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Readings of GameFAQs posters melting down as Undertale won a 'best game ever' poll tournament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb0TBtLT0y4

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Not to interrupt gamer chat but this (and the reading of it in the F Plus podcast) remains my favourite piece of prose on the internet.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pyrotoad posted:

Not to interrupt gamer chat but this (and the reading of it in the F Plus podcast) remains my favourite piece of prose on the internet.

The F Plus - My Mistress is Machine Washable

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Pyrotoad posted:

i wish i was half as happy as this dude is lamo

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Is that even a show anymore? I could be wrong but it seems like it’s run its course. I don’t see much pony crap in stores anymore. I wonder if there are still committed bronies or if the majority of them have moved on to other (ahem) pastures. How many years can a man sustain belief that he’s married to a flash animated horse character after they stop making new content and toys.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ralph Hurley posted:

Is that even a show anymore? I could be wrong but it seems like it’s run its course. I don’t see much pony crap in stores anymore. I wonder if there are still committed bronies or if the majority of them have moved on to other (ahem) pastures. How many years can a man sustain belief that he’s married to a flash animated horse character after they stop making new content and toys.

Hi, welcome to the internet.
There are people who built a literal cult around Gadget from Rescue Rangers.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ralph Hurley posted:

The show just ended but I think a lot of them jumped to Steven Universe a long time ago.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

RagnarokAngel posted:

The show just ended but I think a lot of them jumped to Steven Universe a long time ago.

At least most of the characters are adult human-shaped.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pyrotoad posted:

I've seen this before, but I just noticed that the guy is planning to get married to his fictional underage animal fiancee only when everything "should go right financially speaking".

Which asks the question, were they planning a destination wedding? Do churches/reception centres charge extra if the bride is fictional?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BrigadierSensible posted:

I've seen this before, but I just noticed that the guy is planning to get married to his fictional underage animal fiancee only when everything "should go right financially speaking".

Which asks the question, were they planning a destination wedding? Do churches/reception centres charge extra if the bride is fictional?

He needs to save up for the emergency surgery to remove the wedgie that everyone in his zip code will feel a sudden compulsion to give him.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Well, the very next sentence says he's found a chapel that will marry him. It's quite possible that the chapel is either a long way from him or charges a lot. Either that or he doesn't earn a lot. Or if he does, he makes poor financial decisions, which let's be honest isn't exactly uncommon for nerds.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Or this is all in his head and it's actually kinda sad.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
When you think about it, all of it’s just in our heads

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

Hi, welcome to the internet.
There are people who built a literal cult around Gadget from Rescue Rangers.

I’m pretty sure there was a dude on these very forums who got banned for counting all the pa run shots in Rescue Rangers Down Under

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I’m pretty sure there was a dude on these very forums who got banned for counting all the pa run shots in Rescue Rangers Down Under

Not quite. He got a big red custom title for counting all the panty shots in The Chipmunks movie. I believe he described the number as "far too many for a kid's cartoon movie about singing rodents".

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

counting all the panty shots in The Chipmunks movie

oh there's today's phrase that pays

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

There was that Japanese game, Dangan Rompa or something like that? that got scads of people regging here for a LP thread/translation about it. Then when the firewall went up, or they got banned for not following forums rules, they were making GBS threads their collective pants and leaving comments elsewhere about "why do I have to pay, I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!! gently caress YOU SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM"

There was a great video reading akin to Fragmaster's work on YouTube (maybe it was him, idk), does anyone have a link?

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Nov 26, 2019

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpcl_P9ZTw

Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cqtaKQLwA

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

There was that Japanese game, Dangan Rompa or something like that? that got scads of people regging here for a LP thread/translation about it. Then when the firewall went up, or they got banned for not following forums rules, they were making GBS threads their collective pants and leaving comments elsewhere about "why do I have to pay, I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!! gently caress YOU SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM"

There was a great video reading akin to Fragmaster's work on YouTube (maybe it was him, idk), does anyone have a link?

Oh, yeah, a lot of them were sharing accounts and openly saying they were, then being all shocked when they got banned, IIRC.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Wasn't that LP the first time that series was available in English in any form? It seems pretty hugely popular now so if so that's pretty cool.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Yessss, thank you so much! I don't think I ever saw the part 2 video.

Maybe it's because I'm old as dirt, and not a gamer, but the fury over not being able to read about a video game (which is apparently about... court trials?! Wow, riveting gaming excitement, there) was, and remains, sheer :psyduck: for me.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Casey Finnigan posted:

Wasn't that LP the first time that series was available in English in any form? It seems pretty hugely popular now so if so that's pretty cool.

Yeah it was, I might be misremembering but the popularity of that LP was a big part of why the series ended up getting officially translated; orenoren (sp?) translated the whole thing themselves because there was no other way to show it off to an English speaking audience. The guy accidentally created a fandom, which is a strange achievement to have to your name.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Don’t forget someone cosplayed as the SA paywall during that whole debacle.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yessss, thank you so much! I don't think I ever saw the part 2 video.

Maybe it's because I'm old as dirt, and not a gamer, but the fury over not being able to read about a video game (which is apparently about... court trials?! Wow, riveting gaming excitement, there) was, and remains, sheer :psyduck: for me.

The game is basically a series of murder mysteries, so there was always a cliffhanger

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
What was the fan reaction to the twist in the last game that the true villains of the series are the fans of the game, whose interest in the series was what really motivated all the murders?

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

One of the finest things to come out of this dumb website

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm Annoyed Satanist Donald Trump-cum-Steve Bannon Hybrid

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Fools Infinite posted:

What was the fan reaction to the twist in the last game that the true villains of the series are the fans of the game, whose interest in the series was what really motivated all the murders?

Its really divisive. Especially those that missed the other point made that just because something is fiction doesn't mean it doesn't matter

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

God drat savagely too. So much he sued ahahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Hey speaking of, what's with the video that plays on the paywall? Some little kid sticks his head in a window and screams Cleveland or something and it's weird as poo poo.