Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Here’s the official statement on the Man With No Name 4K trilogy.

Kino Lorber posted:

The tentative release of the Leone/Eastwood 'Man with No Name' trilogy on 4K Blu-ray is now cancelled. We know this news is very disappointing to the fans of the films and format, as it is to us, but after some extensive tests and potential costs of creating newly color-graded HDR Dolby Vision masters, we decided to confirm this cancellation. We will continue to support the format and plan to release three yet-to-be-announced titles on 4K Blu-ray in 2020, and are working on some more projects.

Sounds like they will still do 4K, probably just working with already done 4K masters instead of sourcing their own. I’m sure the trilogy will get a 4k release eventually, but probably not through Kino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

ultraviolence123 posted:

The new Robocop disc from Arrow has a few things that sold me on picking it up (along with the Amazon price):

· Edited-for-television version of the film, featuring alternate dubs, takes and edits of several scenes (95 mins, SD only)

· Split screen comparison of Theatrical and Director s Cuts

· RoboCop: Edited For Television, a compilation of alternate scenes from two edited-for-television versions, newly transferred in HD from recently-unearthed 35mm elements

The TV version is what sold me on septuple-dipping with the Arrow disc. I taped RoboCop off TV as a kid and watched it a million times.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Why on god's green earth has the Shining 4k Blu-Ray still not been released in Canada? I've never seen a major studio release held back like this.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I dunno what they were thinking with Hannibal, it seemed like such an odd choice. I mean, I bought it on day 1 and it's an excellent UHD but I knew it wasn't gonna sell.

Re: P.T. Anderson, there has to be some specific reason why none of his stuff has a UHD release right? I wonder if he's just not a fan of the format. Although I suppose he's not the only one, Tarantino and Wes Anderson don't have any films on UHD either(that will change for Tarantino next month though).

Phantom Thread is on UHD. You would hope that some of his stuff has to be coming in the next year or two.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Harry Privates posted:

Phantom Thread is on UHD. You would hope that some of his stuff has to be coming in the next year or two.

Ahhh yea I forgot about that entirely.

I'll buy There Will Be Blood in any format I can get, I bought the original blu ray for like $10 and that was years ago, at this point it wouldn't even feel like double dipping. That said though, The Master is really the one that would be my first choice for the UHD treatment.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Splint Chesthair posted:

The TV version is what sold me on septuple-dipping with the Arrow disc. I taped RoboCop off TV as a kid and watched it a million times.

You're gonna be one bad mother crusher!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

You're gonna be one bad mother crusher!

“I’m going to shove this factory so far up your stupid nose, you’ll blow snow for a year.”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm still searching for a TV version of Return of the Living Dead with the "Television Version" jacket replacing the "gently caress You." Is that footage on any home release or do I have to keep an eye on my eBay alert?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I miss the tv version of mallrats enough that it’s probably the only kevin smith film I would have any interest in watching again. That and the tv Dune with the narration and pans over a big painting that Lynch demanded to have his name taken off of.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Boinks posted:

Got my blu ray of Vampire's Kiss / High Spirits from Amazon for $18 thanks again for whoever mentioned it was going oop.

It's now $44 on Amazon btw.

Just checked and this bastard sells for $60-75 on ebay now.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Boinks posted:

Just checked and this bastard sells for $60-75 on ebay now.

A sound investment!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally was able to pick up my Monty Python's Flying Circus Blu box today (had to be delivered to a UPS pickup).

Pretty impressive. Not sure why others were having issues with stuff ripping since everything is this thick board stock like Arrow and Indicator's slipcases. What I didn't expect is that each of the four series is in its own hardboard slipcase with a digipak for the disc plus an actual perfect bound book. Overall almost 700 pages total! There's also a little pamphlet with a listing of extras and restoration notes.

The restorations themselves look pretty great. There's only so much you can do with 50 year old video and 16mm, but these are still a gigantic improvement over the now ancient A&E DVDs. This set doesn't include the Monty Python Live! content (Live at the Hollywood Bowl, Live at Aspen, Parrot Sketch Not Included, or the German episode), but it wouldn't surprise me if an additional set comes out eventually with those plus And Now For Something Completely Different.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Terminator 2 4K isn't worth upgrading from the Blu, right?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Boinks posted:

Terminator 2 4K isn't worth upgrading from the Blu, right?

No. I got the 4K because it was $7 and I'd never bought the blu-ray before. But if you already have the blu-ray, there's no point. 4K doesn't look great, and all the extras are on the blu-ray anyway.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

No. I got the 4K because it was $7 and I'd never bought the blu-ray before. But if you already have the blu-ray, there's no point. 4K doesn't look great, and all the extras are on the blu-ray anyway.

Yea that was my exact situation, I picked up the UHD for cheap because I didn't own the blu ray but it wouldn't be worth the upgrade regardless of how cheap it is.

That said, I do think it's a slight upgrade, if only because the original blu ray is not great and yea there's a bit of increased resolution on the UHD. Just not worth spending money on.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
A few shots look really good but some parts are the worst things I’ve ever seen on UHD. No idea how it compares against the BR.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

A few shots look really good but some parts are the worst things I’ve ever seen on UHD. No idea how it compares against the BR.

What it comes down to really is that there's no consistently good version of the film out there, so you have a choice between a flawed UHD and a flawed blu ray.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Basebf555 posted:

What it comes down to really is that there's no consistently good version of the film out there, so you have a choice between a flawed UHD and a flawed blu ray.

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/00274/PILH-1001/Terminator-2:-Judgment-Day

Or you can track down an obscure Japanese only HD laserdisc system and hope to God that it still works and that you can get it up and running and oh God why am I going down this path

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cemetry Gator posted:

Or you can track down an obscure Japanese only HD laserdisc system and hope to God that it still works and that you can get it up and running and oh God why am I going down this path

Yea sorry I meant for normal people

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Extreme Edition HD WMV bonus disc is still the best T2

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Cemetry Gator posted:

I wonder if this copy is floating around the torrent scene

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Yea sorry I meant for normal people

Nobody like that in this thread.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

feedmyleg posted:

Nobody like that in this thread.

There are compared to those lunatics on the blu-ray.com forums.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Hey guys, this is the best place I could think of to ask about speaker settings. I know very very little about the sound side of things and was hoping to get ideas. I have an LG TV with a soundbar as well, in a pretty normal sized living room (TV is maybe 8ft away from couch).

Are there any rules for keeping a good balance of things like treble and bass? I have a preset on it now that sounds good, but only just turned up the bass a little and it adds great definition. I have a few other settings I'm not sure about like WF but again, no idea what I'm doing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's actually kind of hilarious how botched the Terminator 2 Blu-rays have been. Here's a rundown on each edition...

2006 - Theatrical cut only, garbage MPEG2 encode with lossy Dolby Digital audio. Only extras are the two commentaries from the Extreme Edition.
2009 - "Skynet Edition" All three cuts, but horrific DVNR and encoded in VC-1, but lossless audio. Extras are the two commentaries, plus a picture-in-picture mode that integrates the supplemental disc from the 1999 Ultimate Edition DVD
2015 - Theatrical and special edition cuts only, good AVC/DTS-HD MA 6.1 encode (no DVNR), includes the three making-of documentaries (1991, 1993, and 2003), but no commentaries
2017 - 4K has horrific DVNR, included Blu-ray has same extras as 2009 edition except without the picture in picture mode

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Lionsgate puts out a 30th anniversary edition in 2021. Though, just imagine if they let Arrow take a crack at it.

By the way, worth mentioning that a lot of boutique labels are having upcoming or active sales...

Twilight Time: https://www.twilighttimemovies.com
They seem to be going out of business (Nick Redman passed away earlier this year and their last release was in September), so a lot of these titles probably won't get another US physical release. A fraction of their OOP titles have made it to other labels - Sony has released several themselves, Indicator has a ton (all Sony titles region free), Kino Lorber got a few, Shout! Factory has one or two, and Criterion reissued 1984.

MVD: https://mvdshop.com/collections/meg...nXSwYw1RZniDEFc

Vinegar Syndrome, of course, has their Black Friday sale.

Arrow has a sale starting Friday and running the weekend.

Kino Lorber has a Black Friday sale, plus a December one. They also have a lot of titles currently marked down that are on low stock.

Kingtheninja posted:

Hey guys, this is the best place I could think of to ask about speaker settings. I know very very little about the sound side of things and was hoping to get ideas. I have an LG TV with a soundbar as well, in a pretty normal sized living room (TV is maybe 8ft away from couch).

Are there any rules for keeping a good balance of things like treble and bass? I have a preset on it now that sounds good, but only just turned up the bass a little and it adds great definition. I have a few other settings I'm not sure about like WF but again, no idea what I'm doing.

My 5.1 soundbar has zero deviations from the baseline settings other than I increased my surrounds by a few clicks. You shouldn't have to fiddle with treble, bass, balance, or anything else. Just like you should never have anything over 0 for sharpness on the display.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 28, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Big tentpole movies that everyone wants to show off their tv invariably get lovely transfers and bare bones if any extras. While obscure stuff that didn't even get a wide release get wonderful transfers and hours of extras. :iiam:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw t2 in 3d in 2017 and that owned shame it never got released

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

Big tentpole movies that everyone wants to show off their tv invariably get lovely transfers and bare bones if any extras. While obscure stuff that didn't even get a wide release get wonderful transfers and hours of extras. :iiam:

Definitely looking forward to Tammy and the T-Rex being the best 4k ever released until 8k becomes the next big thing

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Would there be much of a point to buying The Prisoner (1967) on blu-ray rather than just getting the DVD? I don't know much about picture quality/upscaling/what-have-you.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Teeth posted:

Would there be much of a point to buying The Prisoner (1967) on blu-ray rather than just getting the DVD? I don't know much about picture quality/upscaling/what-have-you.

It was shot and put together on film so it is an upgrade, from what I understand.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m pretty sure I watched some of The Prisoner on blu and remember it looking just fantastic.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

99% of it is James Cameron's doing because he has approval on everything and studios are stuck with releasing only what he's signed off on.

I'm confounded myself since I can't imagine how he can't have time or inclination to have the best editions available. I mean, Spielberg and Ridley Scott are constantly working on new films, but manage to always have time to sit in for new restorations. Hell, Francis Ford Coppola just turned 80 and has overseen 4K restorations of a half dozen of his films just in the last three years.

Doctor Teeth posted:

I'd actually hold off since Shout! Factory seems to be waiting for A&E's rights to expire. There's a great Region B set, though seems like the masters are the same as the OOP 2009 US Blu-ray:
https://networkonair.com/all-products/2753-prisoner-the-50th-anniversary-limited-edition-blu-ray-

Seems like it has all the same extras, plus a few extra documentaries and some Danger Man episodes in HD. As well as a coffee table book on the series, the complete soundtrack on CD, and Village-themed packaging. But you need a region-free player, of course.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 28, 2019

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I saw t2 in 3d in 2017 and that owned shame it never got released

Although I rarely watch anything in 3D, I think it sucks that the format is already dead. There’s some movies that really benefit from seeing that way such as House of Wax and Creature from the Black Lagoon and other movies that received interesting transfers, such as Jurassic Park.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Prisoner looks absolutely gorgeous on Blu-ray: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews47/the_prisoner_blu-ray.htm

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, The Prisoner bluray looks great. Pretty sure those same transfers are on Prime atm.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Arrow sale live:
https://www.arrowfilms.com/shop/warehouse-move-sale/?pi=1&o=product_offer_price_high_to_low

and Indicator is offering 10% off to American customers for the next 24 hours with code "THANKSGIVING"
https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk

Also, Masters of Cinema just announced their second Buster Keaton set (The Navigator, Seven Chances, and Battling Butler) [Which catches them up to the three US Cohen volumes], King Hu's Raining in the Mountain, Sidney Lumet's A Long Day's Journey into Night, The Son of the Sheik, and Syncopation.

What's interesting is that The Son of the Sheik appears to be a big upgrade from the US Kino edition - which is from a subpar dupe cropped to 1.19:1 with an Alloy Orchestra score, while the MoC seems to use a superior Cohen 2K master with a Carl Davis orchestral score. Oddly enough, they're putting out Syncopation as a bare-bones release while the US Cohen edition adds another hour and a half of 30s jazz shorts.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Are there any Region-A friendly releases from Arrow that are worth checking out? I was planning on picking up Kill Baby Kill and Pulse from them.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Almost Blue posted:

Are there any Region-A friendly releases from Arrow that are worth checking out? I was planning on picking up Kill Baby Kill and Pulse from them.

Dead-End Drive-In is a lot of fun, as is Bride of Re-Animator.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Thanks for the answers re: The Prisoner. Now to take a sip of water and see how much the NA blu-ray is selling for on Amazon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Doctor Teeth posted:

Thanks for the answers re: The Prisoner. Now to take a sip of water and see how much the NA blu-ray is selling for on Amazon...

Lol yeah. It's been out of print for a few years.