Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Third party songs could easily have killed them through no fault of their own so long as the wrong music company felt like crushing them.

lol there's way more popular rythm game poo poo out there than the VR only beat saber that even have custom song support as a big selling point rather than just a minor thing, and they don't get crushed by wrong music companies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Bee posted:

from the sound of things any of those big games would just be on the computer and connected via Oculus Link anyway. Would that be correct?

That is correct.

When the quest is linked to your PC your seeing/using the oculus program on the PC.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

spacetoaster posted:

That is correct.

When the quest is linked to your PC your seeing/using the oculus program on the PC.

Huh. Makes the existence of the 128 gig model weird, but I'm all for saving money so I ain't complaining.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Bee posted:

Huh. Makes the existence of the 128 gig model weird, but I'm all for saving money so I ain't complaining.

If you consume a ton of media content in VR. The 128 can be worth it. But pretty much thats the only reason unless for some reason you have a game library like me and wanna "install all the things" just so you have em ready.

And even then. Quest games arent real huge.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Bee posted:

I haven't even filled up a third of the space on the 64 gig one.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Skyarb posted:

This is some wild imaginary scenarios you are running through to defend a multi-billion dollar company who at drat nearly every turn has done highly dubious and unethical poo poo but hey man you do you.

:goonsay:

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 27, 2019

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
So now that I've made the decision to hop onboard the Quest train, what games'd be worth picking up for it? Superhot and Beat Saber feel like no-brainers, but are there any other standouts that'd especially feel good on the untethered setup of the Quest?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Bee posted:

So now that I've made the decision to hop onboard the Quest train, what games'd be worth picking up for it? Superhot and Beat Saber feel like no-brainers, but are there any other standouts that'd especially feel good on the untethered setup of the Quest?

Synth Riders
Pistol Whip
Space Pirate Trainer

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Is there any way to diagnose if you have a defect issue with a controller losing tracking or if it's an issue with the headset?

I keep loosing my right controller, I tend to hold it back behind the headset a lot, so that could be part of the issue. I have the lights on all over the place to make sure it's not a lighting issue.

It would be cool to have some kind of calibration tool to run the controllers through a series of movements and determine if there is a tracking issue.

e: Oculus Quest

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

moolchaba posted:

Is there any way to diagnose if you have an issue with a controller losing tracking or if it's an issue with the headset?

I keep loosing my right controller, I tend to hold it back behind the headset a lot, so that could be part of the issue. I have the lights on all over the place to make sure it's not a lighting issue.

It would be cool to have some kind of calibration tool to run the controllers through a series of movements and determine if there is a tracking issue.

What headset?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

Outside of all the discussions of the ethics or whatever, I wonder if Sony buying Insomniac didn't shake them a bit. Considering all the work they did with insomniac previously including their big current release, and how there now won't be any more insomniac games outside of PSVR. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't in discussions with Ready at Dawn and some other studios that would be on Sony's radar, right now.

Ready at Dawn seems like a hard lock to me too, because Echo Arena's been a big deal for the Oculus storefront since it launched. I'm trying to think who else might be on their radar, and my guesses would be Schell Games (I Expect You To Die) and maybe SuperHot Team. I kinda worry VRChat might be too, but I think it's probably waaay too open-source for their tastes. Plus Facebook Horizon functionally achieves what they'd want from a social platform far better.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Truga posted:

lol there's way more popular rythm game poo poo out there than the VR only beat saber that even have custom song support as a big selling point rather than just a minor thing, and they don't get crushed by wrong music companies

Open-source stuff like osu! is harder to kill, but I was there for the golden years of StepMania. It took a while, but eventually the best sites to download from all got killed by the music industry. Stuff sold on a storefront? Not a chance. Record labels even killed old versions of Rock Band, which actually did license the songs, because they refused to renew licenses.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ready at Dawn seems like a hard lock to me too, because Echo Arena's been a big deal for the Oculus storefront since it launched. I'm trying to think who else might be on their radar, and my guesses would be Schell Games (I Expect You To Die) and maybe SuperHot Team. I kinda worry VRChat might be too, but I think it's probably waaay too open-source for their tastes. Plus Facebook Horizon functionally achieves what they'd want from a social platform far better.

Shell games is a good call, I think Senzaru is a good bet as well since Asgard's Wrath got such a great response and they've worked with them a bunch. SuperHot maaaaaaybe, but I'm not as sold on them for some reason. Twisted Pixel, and Gunfire Games have both done several projects with oculus, though I'd put higher wages on Twisted Pixel than Gunfire, since the latter had some bigger games outside of VR recently like Remnant: from the ashes, and Darksiders 3. VRChat, I think is a huge hard no, I don't even think they would want to absorb big nude anime tiddy land.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Would some kind of third party hook into Spotify be a DMCA violation?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

From what we know, Beat Saber was a 'lightning in a bottle' situation, and their next game won't be as successful. Now there are other decent rythmn games there are other like Audica or Synth Riders, in any case. So I can't blame the devs for 'selling out'.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

Would some kind of third party hook into Spotify be a DMCA violation?

DMCA doesn't have violations, it's an amendment to copyright law. You might be thinking of policy violations on streaming sites /triggered/ by notices triggered by DMCA takedown requests. Spotify also isn't a user-generated content site so safe harbor provisions don't really apply there.

But if you're asking whether someone could implement some sort of Spotify client wired up to a beat map library, that's an interesting question. It would likely run afoul of their user terms of service, at least. Possibly their developer and artist terms of services or their licensing contracts too. Not a lawyer, but a plaintiff could probably finagle some sort of copyright infringement claim out of it, and unfortunately "fair use" applies more narrowly than most people think.

Content poo poo is complicated because rights can be sublicensed, revoked, and split up, but it boils down to the record label having all of the leverage: if you distribute their content, you need a license. To get a license you need to protect their content, and even if they don't sue you they may never decide to work with you again so you if you're aiming to make deals you have to be proactive about best-effort enforcement. I think tech companies have traditionally managed to treat "best effort" as "token effort unless the record label really insists and has enough leverage to make us care enough to cater to that". The best strategy is to be too big to ignore and have a lot of leverage/opportunity to offer in return, because then they might actually try to make a proper deal.

EDIT: tl;dr: Any and all companies that deal with licensed content are doomed to sell out, period. Usually by acquisition, or if not, then by compromising on licensing terms and restrictions and revenue sharing proportionate to their leverage.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 27, 2019

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

probably already talked about, it's a few months old, but this whole video is great, the boneworks guys (or at least that's where I know them from, are they devs or just reviewers?) enjoying breaking some promo VR spiderman thing that marvel made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D990PJL_CqQ

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Anyone have experience repairing lens scratches with PolyWatch? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0014R9V9O/

I want to fix the lens scratches on my vive before I sell it, but I don't want to chance ruining it completely.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
If I was the Beat Saber devs I'd probably sell too, and I'm not sure there's a better big company around for that in the VR space than Facebook. I mean Valve would definitely be better, but I feel like they wouldn't be interested in this case.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cicero posted:

If I was the Beat Saber devs I'd probably sell too, and I'm not sure there's a better big company around for that in the VR space than Facebook. I mean Valve would definitely be better, but I feel like they wouldn't be interested in this case.

I think even if Valve made a bid Facebook would just keep upping the bid until they won to get ownership of what's currently the VR game to own.

Chadzok posted:

probably already talked about, it's a few months old, but this whole video is great, the boneworks guys (or at least that's where I know them from, are they devs or just reviewers?) enjoying breaking some promo VR spiderman thing that marvel made

They also make special-effects videos for fun as Corridor Digital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKjCWfuvYxQ

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

punished milkman posted:

Dropping by to say Until You Fall is probably the best sword fighting VR game I've played. It's really excellent and actually feels like a fun video game rather than a sandbox.

And it's on sale!! Cool, since I just bought a Rift S, this is a good thread, you're all doing great.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I finally bought NMS, time to rage about my old PC not running it smoothly I think :v:

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

EDIT: tl;dr: copyright was a mistake

:colbert:

Cicero posted:

Yeah. Valve, on the rare occasion that they care about an actual game, seems to mostly be interested in experimental poo poo. After half-life which itself was kinda unique when it was new, they "bought" some half life mods and a custom war3 map, they made portal/l4d games, etc.

BS is "just" a rhythm game. Very good and enjoyable, but still I don't see any of the big nerds at valve caring too much about another rhythm game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

About BS and modding and possible legalities, I think it should be easy to retool how the custom songs work right and divide them in two parts, data and songs. If players provide the mp3 files, then no one should have an issue, the 'Beat Saber supporting piracy' argument would be invalid. Obviously it would be more inconvenient that way, but better than losing access to mod, imo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"Players providing their own mp3s" would be seen just the same, because copyright holders, like all capitalists, are batshit loving insane man. Also there would quickly be a mod that joins the files together again because gently caress legality when it exists exclusively to inconvenience.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Beat Saber is dead.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think even if Valve made a bid Facebook would just keep upping the bid until they won to get ownership of what's currently the VR game to own.

At least until March.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Phil Spencer thinks people don't want VR and Project Scarlett isn't going to have anything to do with it anytime soon.

quote:

“I have some issues with VR — it’s isolating and I think of games as a communal, kind of together experience,” Spencer explained.

Oh Phil Spencer, please, no, stop aiming that gun at your foot. Just, please, sto- Oh you've gone and put a nasty hole in your foot again. Why are you looking so confused? You pulled the trigger, you knew what would happen :sigh:. Has he existed in a bubble for the last fifteen years, ignoring online multiplayer?

Though of course Sony's eager to put the boot in with in with a solid burn. :munch:

Shuhei Yoshida's Twitter posted:

"(´-`).。oO(we oftentimes work hard to make things that no customers are asking for them)"

edit:

Cartoon Man posted:

At least until March.

Ehhh, somewhat. Beat Saber's instantly accessible to more people and has perpetual sticking power because of it. Especially on the Quest when you can take it to friends and family for them to try. Half-Life Alyx is aimed square at a shitload of ravenous fans who've been wanting anything Half-Life for over a decade, but it's still probably a story-driven single-player game like its predecessors. When it's over, it's done and people move on like any other AAA title.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 27, 2019

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

From the blog post announcing Facebook's Beat Games acquisition:

quote:

Do you plan to acquire other studios? What else are you doing to accelerate VR?

We’re exploring many ways to accelerate VR, and we think next year is going to be an incredible one of VR game launches and announcements. We are thrilled to have Beat Games join our team. This is just the beginning.
Expect Zuck gobbling up more of your favorite developers in 2020.

EDIT: Oh, I see this already got posted upthread. Whatever, there's enough doom and gloom to go around!

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 27, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh Phil Spencer, please, no, stop aiming that gun at your foot. Just, please, sto- Oh you've gone and put a nasty hole in your foot again. Why are you looking so confused? You pulled the trigger, you knew what would happen :sigh:. Has he existed in a bubble for the last fifteen years, ignoring online multiplayer?
It's these idiots that prevent progress. One might argue, someone closer to the target audience age-wise should be making those decisions.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Half-Life Alyx is aimed square at a shitload of ravenous fans who've been wanting anything Half-Life for over a decade, but it's still probably a story-driven single-player game like its predecessors. When it's over, it's done and people move on like any other AAA title.

I really don't think Alyx is really aimed at anyone, more so that people at Valve were like 'man VR is cool as poo poo' and hosed around till a new Half-Life game was taking shape. They talk about it like Anton talks about HHH, just loving around seeing what works. People can rip on Valve for everything they gently caress up, but that they are Valve means they can afford to be like weird indie kids without stockholders breathing down their necks. Plus, ~modding tools~ is a part of the announcement for Half-Life Alyx. Wonder what sort of multi-player code is in the SDK.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Microsoft completely hosed up their entry into VR. Their platform on PC is dead, the headsets they helped fund are mostly a failure and the XBOX division is pretty poo poo scared of angering the "core gamer" demographic after the Xbone/Kinect debacle. They have nothing to offer and nothing to gain in trying to compete with Sony and Oculus at this stage.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
It's the same thing for artificial movent. A few early hw devs exploring VR were very sensitive and really pushed teleport and 3dof solutions under the assumption that artificial locomotion was unsolvable.

Sometimes I feel like it is just some old guys saddling a new industry with their baggage. Microsoft built a whole line of lovely PC headsets and sure enough, there is a tiny demand for them. They even built a VR Halo game, but no one cared!! Proof positive they did everything right and there is no market.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chadzok posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They also make special-effects videos for fun as Corridor Digital.

Boneworks guys and Corridor Digital aren't the same crew. But they work in the same building so they show up in each others' videos a lot.

Corridor Digital are CG artists.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'd be curious to see how many of XBox's problems would go away if Phil Spencer would.

Zaphod42 posted:

Boneworks guys and Corridor Digital aren't the same crew. But they work in the same building so they show up in each others' videos a lot.

Corridor Digital are CG artists.

They actually merged a while back.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Delta-Wye posted:

It's the same thing for artificial movent. A few early hw devs exploring VR were very sensitive and really pushed teleport

I still find it loving crazy how the people in this thread seem to have such a :smuggo: "I don't get motion sick, you plebian" attitude about VR

Y'all, VR is never going to become mainstream if you keep up with this elitist crap.

"those drat hw devs who were so very sensitive ruined everything!" :jerkbag: I've had a headset since the DK1 and I sometimes spend hours in VR at a time and I still prefer teleport. loving fight me.

Its not that its unsolvable, its that its uncomfortable. And as we have seen, games can support multiple. You're being really loving weird about this. You're not special. These are just videogames. Relax.

This is some "you're not a real gamer unless you use inverted controls" type poo poo. If you don't like teleport, cool, nobody cares. But to act like the developers were WRONG for developing teleport first as the more comfortable way to get people started is just bonkers. It actually makes a ton of sense. And its not like doing teleport first set them back 10 years. This is just crazy.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 27, 2019

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Delta-Wye posted:

It's the same thing for artificial movent. A few early hw devs exploring VR were very sensitive and really pushed teleport and 3dof solutions under the assumption that artificial locomotion was unsolvable.

I don't think this is really anything like Microsoft being dumb about VR. In this case no one literally had any idea what to do, if anything artificial locomotion was the original default back in early DK days because, why would you do anything else? Then people were saying no, teleport around, valve saying never do artificial locomotion and just use roomscale, rearrange the game world to your physical space, travel to nodes, free locomotion, pull yourself around, etc etc. It wasn't a case of the old people holding it back but people throwing everything at the wall to see what stuck. Within the first year of commercial release for example, oculus studios games did everything from classic 3rd person adventure, fixed in place games, free locomotion with a thumbstick, free teleportation, node teleportation, and pulling yourself around. That doesn't even get into all the indie and other games during that first year alone.

Microsoft is just idiots.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Delta-Wye posted:

Sometimes I feel like it is just some old guys saddling a new industry with their baggage. Microsoft built a whole line of lovely PC headsets and sure enough, there is a tiny demand for them. They even built a VR Halo game, but no one cared!! Proof positive they did everything right and there is no market.
Seriously mad at MS for this. Most of the headsets were pretty meh (though I'm very happy with the Odyssey) but instead of spending what is absolutely trivial amounts for them to iterate on it, they just... gave up? Really bizarre too because they could've established a great base with their corporate customers (such as our organization) as everyone is investigating VR stuff now, but instead they'll have to go to loving facebook to get up to date hardware.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I'm not saying never do teleport, or even that free locomotion is a solved problem, but some folks were actively suppressing any exploration afaict at the time. That is A Bad Thing when you don't yet know what works and what doesn't work, let alone have a good model on why.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

SCheeseman posted:

Microsoft completely hosed up their entry into VR. Their platform on PC is dead, the headsets they helped fund are mostly a failure and the XBOX division is pretty poo poo scared of angering the "core gamer" demographic after the Xbone/Kinect debacle. They have nothing to offer and nothing to gain in trying to compete with Sony and Oculus at this stage.

This is pretty amazing considering their AR Hololens and Hololens 2 are really great but are geared to designers, engineers and architects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Re: re: re: Beat Saber

The song format is effectively open source

Some dude already wrote an entire beatsaber clone in WebVR/A-Frame, it's used as one of their showcase apps. WebVR/A-Frame is sponsored by Mozilla so it's not going anywhere any time soon. Since there's no multiplayer for beatsaber it doesn't matter if you play the official version or some clone, especially now since your dollars don't go in the developers pockets

https://supermedium.com/beatsaver-viewer/?id=22cc

Count down to free beatsaber clone being released on sidequest in 3-2-1...