Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Good episode this week, I find the Bible Stories episode pretty bad overall but having a guest on who believes and seems to have a pretty deep knowledge of the subject matter adds nicely to the discussion. They mention it on the show but this really does feel like the first one of those random anthology episodes that I feel like they do a lot of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

Good episode this week, I find the Bible Stories episode pretty bad overall but having a guest on who believes and seems to have a pretty deep knowledge of the subject matter adds nicely to the discussion. They mention it on the show but this really does feel like the first one of those random anthology episodes that I feel like they do a lot of these days.

Yeah, Family Guy dips into this a lot too. It feels lazy as hell. No need to write a plot. Just plug your characters into the story and add jokes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have not heard Old Town Road either. Like I don't think it impacted Canada as much as the US.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

twistedmentat posted:

I have not heard Old Town Road either. Like I don't think it impacted Canada as much as the US.

It did also hit number one here, though I didn't hear it until well after that (probably because I am a terrible nerd)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Improbable Lobster posted:

It did also hit number one here, though I didn't hear it until well after that (probably because I am a terrible nerd)

Who the hell listens to the radio unless you're stuck somewhere? Oh right, Boomers.

The talk about everything become cokey at a certain level made me laugh because I instantly imagined the Mcelroys doing fat rails.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 29, 2019

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Weeks behind, as usual, but the Yu-Gi-Oh episode of WAC is making me laugh a lot, mostly due to the fact that I didn't know they actually talked about/used the phrase "The Heart of the Cards" this much.

"MY GRANDFATHER'S A VETERAN!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked how this weeks Patreon Bob mentions :catdrugs:

Also, talking about the Pitts, the only thing I remembered about the show was thinking the daughter was cute, and hey, it was Lizzy Caplin so yea!

Maybe I should check out the YuGiOh episode, I have negative interest in it, but that sounds pretty funny. I'm so behind on WAC.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
November had a very good pair of what were essentially 2 part WAC episodes. Pokémon/Yu-Gi-Oh served as a good examination of how quickly anime caught on in America and how big it got, then the Bonkers/Animaniacs episodes made for a good encapsulation of where Warner and Disney were in the early 90's, and how they both approached a similar concept ("Cartoons are real, and they live in modern Los Angeles") with wildly different results.

Also all the behind-the-scenes stories about Bonkers are just ridiculous, even before the Oklahoma City Bombing plays a role.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

JethroMcB posted:

Also all the behind-the-scenes stories about Bonkers are just ridiculous, even before the Oklahoma City Bombing plays a role.

I don't remember that part of the episode? Can you elaborate?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Fezz posted:

I don't remember that part of the episode? Can you elaborate?

The episode that explains why Bonkers' partner changes from Piquel to Miranda had a plot about stopping a mad bomber. It was pulled from the syndication package after the OKC bombing (and didn't even reair during the show's stint on Toon Disney,) removing the one half hour that explained why a third of the series was vastly different from the rest of it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember really hating Bonkers, plus we're getting into a time where i was a teenager and I'm not going to watch a cartoon about a cat that's a cop.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

JethroMcB posted:

November had a very good pair of what were essentially 2 part WAC episodes. Pokémon/Yu-Gi-Oh served as a good examination of how quickly anime caught on in America and how big it got, then the Bonkers/Animaniacs episodes made for a good encapsulation of where Warner and Disney were in the early 90's, and how they both approached a similar concept ("Cartoons are real, and they live in modern Los Angeles") with wildly different results.

Speaking of Yu-Gi-Oh, it is interesting that apparently even the Japanese version of the first episode was missing a whole lot of context and was just basically cramming both Kaiba arcs from the manga into one episode.

Didn't know that Konami basically saved the brand after the aborted first anime and is still a moneymaker for them

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 10, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Listened to the Charlie Brown Xmas episode. Glad they mentioned the SNL cartoon.

It is kind of amazing that the show was put together in only a few months, I just thought how crummy a lot of the dialog and animation was because that's what it looked like back then. I mean, its not like Scooby Doo looks any better.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I love this podcast

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Moe and Lenny getting springs in their eyes is so goddamn funny. Bob + Henry talked about Lenny screaming in the background but I always found Hank's Moe screams the best. This part of this episode and the one where Moe gets stuck in the slide and screams "SOMEONE GET THE JAWS OF LIFE" always cracks me up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I listened to the first of Laser Times dirty Christmas songs and I forgot Henry is in those.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Old Man and the C Student is the first episode I don't really remember. I think I've seen the one where Marge and Homer go to the Olympics for curling more than I've seen that one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PostNouveau posted:

The Old Man and the C Student is the first episode I don't really remember. I think I've seen the one where Marge and Homer go to the Olympics for curling more than I've seen that one.

I was thinking this too listening to the pod today but then I remembered the Springy parts.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
From the Patreon they're thinking of going back and redoing the earlier Lasertime episodes. I mean, I enjoy the pod enough I wouldn't mind, but some other patrons seem to think this is to hold of on doing the the future episodes.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Eh. The first season of TS is fairly ramshackle when listening back to it now - and I think I’d enjoy the proper formula applied to it. Plus, yeah, there’s plenty of time to get through the remaining ... uh. Twenty-someodd seasons.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

twistedmentat posted:

From the Patreon they're thinking of going back and redoing the earlier Lasertime episodes. I mean, I enjoy the pod enough I wouldn't mind, but some other patrons seem to think this is to hold of on doing the the future episodes.

Yes, do that, or more Futurama/KotH, hell even Family Guy. They can't admit it but it's a waste of their skill to annotate newer seasons because the writers didn't create something dense or self-consistent, just joke vehicles

I've been laughing at the latest eps because the jokes are still funny but that cliff is creepin' up

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I think I'm taking this way too seriously, it's a fun show that always delivers and I gotta cut back on the parasocial backseat driving

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I’d be happy with an Antista-less redo of season one so I don’t have to listen to stories of him constantly making GBS threads his pants and fingering teenagers at summer camp.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

:lol: Season 11 includes: Saddlesore Galactica, the one where Maude dies, and Kill the Alligator and Run.

I can see why they're going "hmm, what can we do that's not Season 11?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The old Lasertime episodes were fine and pretty extensively covered those episodes; that said, with S11 and beyond I could see Talking Simpsons becoming a 45 minute show where they burn through episodes because they will play clips of the lovely jokes, have nothing to say about them other than "Ugh, this sucks," and move on. I want to believe that Bob and Henry's work would help reevaluate those ill-regarded episodes and say "Oh, here's a great joke, here's an inspired character moment, etc." but I know better.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Uh, Saddlesore Galactica is a perfectly cromulent episode. (I also enjoyed Kill The Alligator and Run.)

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

dovetaile posted:

Uh, Saddlesore Galactica is a perfectly cromulent episode. (I also enjoyed Kill The Alligator and Run.)

Go to a neurologist

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

I want to believe that Bob and Henry's work would help reevaluate those ill-regarded episodes and say "Oh, here's a great joke, here's an inspired character moment, etc." but I know better.

Please have faith in us! We have more listeners/patrons than ever before since we hit the "bad" years, and we don't think we're going to lose anyone as we go further into the double-digit seasons.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
People only hate Kill the Alligator and Run because it has Kid Rock in it, also I love this running gag https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2X1e9ZHxJg

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I think season 11 is better than most people give it credit, it has a few classics despite the couple stinkers

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobservo posted:

Please have faith in us! We have more listeners/patrons than ever before since we hit the "bad" years, and we don't think we're going to lose anyone as we go further into the double-digit seasons.

You and Henry are enjoyable to listen to so even bad episodes of the Simpsons will
Make great pod.

I will defend Bart To The Future.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Riptor posted:

Go to a neurologist

I can still sing the entire We Are The Jockeys song so maybe I should!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

dovetaile posted:

This is the first episode of the entire series that I don't remember...

Going to be interesting to see how you guys are able to spin garbage into a good show. Maybe the natural evolution will be MST3K-ing it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bobservo posted:

Oh, I very much have faith in you guys! I'm sure the podcast episodes themselves will be fun, but I'll be very, very surprised if I suddenly rediscover/appreciate the really dire years and stuff like Homer vs. Dignity.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

bobservo posted:

Come on, Bob, endlessly insisting that you guys are truly going to do the bad seasons and then mysteriously starting over at Season 1 after 10??

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Come on, Bob, endlessly insisting that you guys are truly going to do the bad seasons and then mysteriously starting over at Season 1 after 10??

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

JethroMcB posted:

Oh, I very much have faith in you guys! I'm sure the podcast episodes themselves will be fun, but I'll be very, very surprised if I suddenly rediscover/appreciate the really dire years and stuff like Homer vs. Dignity.

And yet you love Kirk vs Dignity

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m looking forward to them getting to the really bad stuff. It’ll be fun.

Maybe there’s some gems I missed too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m looking forward to them getting to the really bad stuff. It’ll be fun.

Maybe there’s some gems I missed too.

As someone who's seen every episode, there aren't that many.

Also, like, half of the words that come out of Henry's mouth are straight-up verbatim repeating the joke that they just played a clip of. This is a completely unavoidable part of Simpsons podcasting since the show is so drat funny, but they'll be out of good jokes in, like, half a year.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Lol I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed that. "I like that the fish sandwich is so greasy it makes the wall turn see-thru when Bart rubs it. That's so much grease!"