Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm not a big fan of JJ Abrams, but he did make the American Military the bad guys in Super 8, foregoing the usual military aid for gear and stuff.

All I remember about seeing Super 8 in theaters was whenever the movie would wink and nod and nudge the audience with "hey hey, get it, it's like an old Spielberg movie! get it!? huh??" everyone in the audience would turn to whoever they were with and say out loud "haha, get it, cuz, y'know, in old movies they used to do that!" I must have heard people saying that at least 4 or 5 different times, from different people each time, it was super weird.

Like I remember that far more vividly than anything related to the story or characters and I think that was the whole idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That has nothing to do with anything really, I just remember it being real weird.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I remember leaving wonder women and most people's coversations were 'wow that actress was really pretty' lmao

as a film maker i would weep if that was the major impression from my film

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Modest Mao posted:

I remember leaving wonder women and most people's coversations were 'wow that actress was really pretty' lmao

as a film maker i would weep if that was the major impression from my film

Probably because the movie was boring. Her looks and Chris Pine's german-accent attempt at seducing a deformed war criminal were pretty much all it had going for it.

I remember watching Wonder Woman and thinking afterwards "man, I guess the actress just could not do stunts or something" because all the action scenes were super-CGI weightless garbage where they obviously put her in a empty studio punching and kicking air, then filling it in after. Then I found out she's actually like, some high speed martial arts instructor or some poo poo? So I guess despite going through the trouble of acquiring a talented performer, they decided to just not utilize her talents for no reason? What a waste.

Meme Poker Party has issued a correction as of 18:58 on Nov 27, 2019

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Then I found out she's actually like, some high speed martial arts instructor or some poo poo?

she was in the IDF. make of that what you will.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Communist Walrus posted:

Care must be taken to ensure you watch the original and not the director's cut, which adds a bunch of bad pointless scenes but probably aligns closer with Alex Proyas's vision of making poo poo movies

Same thing happened with Donnie Darko lol.

"I must let the world know I'm a true hack rather than just let people enjoy my fun little movie whose logic falls apart with the slightest examination, which I will now provide unprompted." - Richard Kelly

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I don't think there's anything you could criticise about the MCU (other than maybe the sheer number, 19 movies in 10 years is a lot, not to mention the multi-season TV shows as well) that wouldn't apply to action blockbusters from the 80s and 90s.

If anything that shows that the current cycle of big budget Hollywood action filmmaking is a bit tired, probably. But there's still good stuff being made through old mainstream channels, even quite traditional or formulaic stuff. Like I think some of the big budget sci fi movies that have come out in the last 5-10 years have been better than anything in the same category in a long time. Interstellar, Chappie, Looper, Inception, Gravity, Elysium, the new Bladerunner, Snowpiercer, Predestination... Those are just off the top of my head.

But I'm also sure that part of the reason why TV is experiencing such a resurgence is there's seemingly way less studio/producer interference while also still having a lot of money thrown at it. So you get big budgets with much less conservative or formulaic restrictions from the funders. I think there's evidence of that ending though, if you look at the rush to make the "next game of thrones" by trying to repeat the formula.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Chomp8645 posted:

Probably because the movie was boring. Her looks and Chris Pine's german-accent attempt at seducing a deformed war criminal were pretty much all it had going for it.

I remember watching Wonder Woman and thinking afterwards "man, I guess the actress just could not do stunts or something" because all the action scenes were super-CGI weightless garbage where they obviously put her in a empty studio punching and kicking air, then filling it in after. Then I found out she's actually like, some high speed martial arts instructor or some poo poo? So I guess despite going through the trouble of acquiring a talented performer, they decided to just not utilize her talents for no reason? What a waste.

Lol she was probably beating the poo poo out of the stuntmen and the lawyers told the director they had to keep insurance costs low

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

She was pregnant for all the reshoots. They had to CGI her belly out (did a really job too since no one noticed). But it probably did affect the choreography.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Laterite posted:

she was in the IDF. make of that what you will.

I make nothing of that. I heard specifically that she had some martial arts cred as an instructor or something. Then again I only heard this from my friend so maybe he's just an idiot (probably).

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

I make nothing of that. I heard specifically that she had some martial arts cred as an instructor or something. Then again I only heard this from my friend so maybe he's just an idiot (probably).

Does your friend appear when you turn off your monitor?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Laterite posted:

Does your friend appear when you turn off your monitor?

:prepop:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Mr. Robot but it's just posting.

Also the world right now is just the same things over and over somehow getting worse without changing meaningfully.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

bike tory posted:

Like I think some of the big budget sci fi movies that have come out in the last 5-10 years have been better than anything in the same category in a long time. Interstellar, Chappie, Looper, Inception, Gravity, Elysium, the new Bladerunner, Snowpiercer, Predestination... Those are just off the top of my head.

I think those are all fine movies but they're not deeply affecting, though I haven't seen predestination. Nolan's films are 2 hours of interesting exposition and then the story has to actually happen, sucks, and then the film is over. That whole list is commercial, fun, accessible, but didn't really make feel anything.

I think Melancholia or Eternal Sunshine are a better use of sci fi. I wanna see more films that make me feel like that.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

T-man posted:

Mr. Robot but it's just posting.

Also the world right now is just the same things over and over somehow getting worse without changing meaningfully.

these forums truly are a microcosm

Modest Mao posted:

I think those are all fine movies but they're not deeply affecting, though I haven't seen predestination. Nolan's films are 2 hours of interesting exposition and then the story has to actually happen, sucks, and then the film is over. That whole list is commercial, fun, accessible, but didn't really make feel anything.

I think Melancholia or Eternal Sunshine are a better use of sci fi. I wanna see more films that make me feel like that.

If chappie didn't make you genuinely empathise with cgi robot then you're a heartless monster imo

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Chappie was very bad. Elysium too

what the hell

Looper was... OK? Completely forgettable though. Interstellar had a cool docking scene. The rest was just kind of there. I don't really remember anything of Inception except some of the effects

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
im gay

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
for pay :evilbuddy:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe S+ tier super awesome movies are rare because they require a fantastic idea, which is rare, a fantastic screenwriter, which is rare, a director and cast, set and costume designers, musicians and composers to all be on their A game at the same time, and a studio that will let it happen with all the politics that necessarily come with such a large organization (or barring that, enough money to do it and still secure all that A+ talent without a studio backing)

I don't think if you just banned whatever kind of movie you don't like that that sort of bottled lightning would suddenly be more commonplace

I also think there hasn't been enough appreciation for sometimes just seeing an amazing visual spectacle with a good score. Say what you will about Black Panther, for example, but flying into Wakanda and seeing the sights was pretty cool, same with the visuals in Interstellar or Avatar or whatever

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ain’t seen chappie, I enjoyed elysium, but district 9 was pretty good I thought

:prepop:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

The Bloop posted:

I also think there hasn't been enough appreciation for sometimes just seeing an amazing visual spectacle with a good score. Say what you will about Black Panther, for example, but flying into Wakanda and seeing the sights was pretty cool, same with the visuals in Interstellar or Avatar or whatever

Yeah, there's a reason why people loved Avatar when it first came out, and it certainly wasn't because of the story. One of the few movies I'm glad I saw in 3D because they brought the actual visuals out instead of just adding an extra dimension you didn't need. Not that it was perfect, but it was something a lot of us hadn't seen before.

That's also what I mostly liked about Black Panther (that, and the actors), and would love to see more of that Afro-futurism in better movies. I think the filmmakers knew they had to create an origin story that we've seen before and just concentrated on the visuals instead. If either sequels could keep those going but take us into new areas, they'd be great.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
what if my favorite movie is Eraserhead, not because I pretend to "get it" but because it's crazy and weird as poo poo?

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
also the visuals are cool. and the soundtrack

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Superhero movies are okay but Parasite loving owned and everyone needs to see it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bike tory posted:

I don't think there's anything you could criticise about the MCU (other than maybe the sheer number, 19 movies in 10 years is a lot, not to mention the multi-season TV shows as well) that wouldn't apply to action blockbusters from the 80s and 90s.

If anything that shows that the current cycle of big budget Hollywood action filmmaking is a bit tired, probably. But there's still good stuff being made through old mainstream channels, even quite traditional or formulaic stuff. Like I think some of the big budget sci fi movies that have come out in the last 5-10 years have been better than anything in the same category in a long time. Interstellar, Chappie, Looper, Inception, Gravity, Elysium, the new Bladerunner, Snowpiercer, Predestination... Those are just off the top of my head.

But I'm also sure that part of the reason why TV is experiencing such a resurgence is there's seemingly way less studio/producer interference while also still having a lot of money thrown at it. So you get big budgets with much less conservative or formulaic restrictions from the funders. I think there's evidence of that ending though, if you look at the rush to make the "next game of thrones" by trying to repeat the formula.

How long ago was Moon released, I liked Moon

e: 2009, just within 10 years

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 22:50 on Nov 27, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If can't be good at least be weird.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
chappie was pretty much an hour and a half long ad for die antwoord. also hilariously they portray the guy who doesnt trust autonomous police killbots and wants to make remote control mechs instead as a psycho, but lol.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Battle Angel Alita was a good movie with good politics.

gently caress Zalem.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

How long ago was Moon released, I liked Moon

e: 2009, just within 10 years

Moon was great but I don't know that I'd count it as big budget Hollywood sci fi.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol another loving petrochemical plant blew the gently caress up in Texas. Glad they've learned literally nothing and have continued to vote in people who allow this kind of thing to happen.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

bike tory posted:

Moon was great but I don't know that I'd count it as big budget Hollywood sci fi.

Seriously, Moon looks like it was filmed in 1969, Kuberick-style. That said, the extended theme is one hell of a banger while you're writing.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

there were like a billion articles in the military and marketing press about how captain marvel was the dawn of a new age in military-hollywood collaboration and how air force PR people were involved in every step of making the movie

It Looks Like The Real Star Of 'Captain Marvel' Is The Air Force
James Clark January 10, 2019 at 11:24 AM
https://taskandpurpose.com/captain-marvel-featurette-air-force

'Captain Marvel' Is The Recruiting Tool Of The Air Force's Dreams
Jared Keller September 18, 2018 at 05:31 PM
https://taskandpurpose.com/captain-marvel-air-force-recruiting

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/01/09/captain-marvel-takes-flight-new-footage-shows-film-star-in-nellis-f-16/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJxvCY6t4UE

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

disney loving stole from them because the air force is barely in it: "girl grows up to be pilot, dies in plane crash" is pretty much the entirety of the air force's role

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
And the lady helps out a buncha space Palestinians

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

inkblot posted:

lol another loving petrochemical plant blew the gently caress up in Texas. Glad they've learned literally nothing and have continued to vote in people who allow this kind of thing to happen.

oil plants will keep exploding until the industry gets enough subsidies to finally offset the onerous regulations they are subject to

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Live Free posted:

what if my favorite movie is Eraserhead, not because I pretend to "get it" but because it's crazy and weird as poo poo?

Eraserhead and all of Lynch's films are easy to understand except that they're not written using the language developed by 100+ years of film history

Eraserhead is about having a baby you don't want, being brought into a family you don't understand, and trying to hold onto dreams which will never come true. Just all the production design and plot match how that feels rather than how that literally looks in the real world.

I think lynch is one of the best directors because his stories work on some immediate emotional logic, and work as complete stories around that emotion, but his imitators are just weird for the sake of weird, or treat their symbols like symbols and eventually explain them, which breaks the suspension of disbelief. The most important thing in surrealism is never recognizing that something represents something else, even if its origin is as a symbol for something else. That's when art film gets cringey

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Superhero movies are okay but Parasite loving owned and everyone needs to see it.

Parasite is a great example of what hollywood has the capability to make every year several times a year (okay parasite is distinctly korean replete with 4 acts). I think people reacted so strongly because Parasite has great craft, cast, cinematography etc but also serves as a novel fairy tale or folk story about modern society and how capitalism has hosed up our humanity. Hollywood used to make movies like this. I think Korea is filling some of the void that hollywood used to occupy and it's well deserved, but there's no reason americans who are exceptional at basically every form of self expression just suddenly gave up the medium they invented.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Modest Mao posted:

Eraserhead and all of Lynch's films are easy to understand except that they're not written using the language developed by 100+ years of film history

Eraserhead is about having a baby you don't want, being brought into a family you don't understand, and trying to hold onto dreams which will never come true. Just all the production design and plot match how that feels rather than how that literally looks in the real world.

I think lynch is one of the best directors because his stories work on some immediate emotional logic, and work as complete stories around that emotion, but his imitators are just weird for the sake of weird, or treat their symbols like symbols and eventually explain them, which breaks the suspension of disbelief. The most important thing in surrealism is never recognizing that something represents something else, even if its origin is as a symbol for something else. That's when art film gets cringey

just wanted to say this post is tight and you're cool

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The Bloop posted:

it's hardly gratuitous to have a line of text twelve minutes into the rolling credits, but it's because they've often gotten permission to access things they couldn't, work with real military equipment on site, or use military footage to make the movie more realistic.

gently caress yea, big ups to the us military!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
sorry all you elitist snobs think corporate monopolies and drone strikes are bad, while you're all sitting there crying i'll be munching on some popcorn watching the avengers open fire at some protesters while sitting inside an authentic M1 Abrams