Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The assaultee in this game has all the tools available to them. You can dictate if you want to engage or not, unlike gtao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dutch. Look at me.

I make the plans now.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Toaster Beef posted:

If I'm not big at all on multiplayer stuff because I hate fighting other people and mostly just want to wander around the world and do a bunch of stuff without being bothered, is online even worth it for me?

Nah, I logged on the other day and got hounded till I got to camp, until there are private sessions I'm not bothering.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Toaster Beef posted:

If I'm not big at all on multiplayer stuff because I hate fighting other people and mostly just want to wander around the world and do a bunch of stuff without being bothered, is online even worth it for me?

It's perfectly fine to play like that in online. Yes, you may sometimes run into people like the ones WoodrowSkillson did but they are not as prevalent as you may expect. Setting your playing style to Defensive gives you a lot of tools to deal with griefers and even then, you can just Parley and not worry about being killed or harassed by those people anymore.

If you truly fear being griefed, join the Discord and posse up. It will help you level a few of your roles faster too.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
i am starting a ps4 posse dedicated to just hanging out and doing some ol bull poo poo. no bounties, no deliveries, no missions. just mic-less cowpokes walking around saint denis with their huds off, beer in hand, admiring architecture, interacting entirely through emotes so as not to break immersion, occasionally hooting at passerby

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Yeah, I'm up to level 25, mostly soloing, and so far I haven't run into a single griefer. I haven't even had other players take any shots at me.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm similar to you and honestly it's fine in its current state. Not perfect but fine. You might get bothered in cities, but out in the open world, you can see people coming from a long way away and steer clear if you want to stay out of trouble (dedicated griefers get their icons turned red, which I think allows you to see them on the map long before they can see you but don't quote me on that). And I don't think there's usually more than low 20-something people per server, the map is plenty big for you to find a spot to just gently caress around by yourself in.

i still want private servers though

This is all correct

Note however that griefers with mod menus can get you banned when you report them so that's nice. If you run up against someone with blatant god mode garbage, just find a new session.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Is there a guide that explains what all the different horse types and handling (race, elite, standard etc) mean? Someone mentioned warhorses may buck you less and that is extremely my poo poo. Like half of my non-pvp deaths are probably from animal ambushes and 3/4 of those involve my horse going chickenshit and throwing me off before I can get shots off.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I just got the one Collector level 20 Criollo that doesn't resemble rotting bologna and am very satisfied with my purchase. I was eyeing the black Arabian, but on top of being ridiculously expensive it will apparently buck you if it spots an ant.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SplitSoul posted:

I just got the one Collector level 20 Criollo that doesn't resemble rotting bologna and am very satisfied with my purchase. I was eyeing the black Arabian, but on top of being ridiculously expensive it will apparently buck you if it spots an ant.

On a related note (but for singleplayer), what's a good "hunting" horse that won't get nervous at the slightest provocation?

I have the white Arabian and it's just awesome for getting places quick, but when hunting predators it can become a liability, I've been thrown off a lot of times

Guessing a war one, like the one you get from the Special Edition? But that is clunky and super slow... :(

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Lugubrious! posted:

Yeah, I'm up to level 25, mostly soloing, and so far I haven't run into a single griefer. I haven't even had other players take any shots at me.

I've come across a few, mostly just people trying to lasso me, failing then pressing charges after i put a few bullets into them. But turning red doesn't really bother me, nobody comes hunting you down, people tend to stay way actually. I also had a single instance of a dude sitting on a Tower and just sniping at players who rode by. But the fact that I can remember every single instance of a player trying to grief me is a testament to how few griefers there are in this game compared to GTA Online.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Pvp: this game is much more stacked in favor of defenders than most. Once a player turns red you have a huge advantage over them. You can see them coming from much farther away on your radar and if you're in defensive mode they can't auto lock on you and you take reduced damage. Once I got my scoped bolt action rifle I found red dots to be easy pickings as I can usually kill them before they're even aware of me.

If you're getting repeatedly killed anyway you can parley which will stop them from killing you for ten minutes. If they insist on following you around and waiting it out(very unlikely) you can instantly teleport to another multiplayer mode or free roam server through the menu and they can't stop you.

Dying is also very low stakes most of the time since you don't lose anything. The major exception is when you're delivering a wagon but random players or discord recruits will be more than happy to jump in and help you do that as a full group.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Capn Beeb posted:

Note however that griefers with mod menus can get you banned when you report them so that's nice. If you run up against someone with blatant god mode garbage, just find a new session.

Whoa what's this about?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You got anything to back that up beeb?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Pvp: this game is much more stacked in favor of defenders than most. Once a player turns red you have a huge advantage over them. You can see them coming from much farther away on your radar and if you're in defensive mode they can't auto lock on you and you take reduced damage. Once I got my scoped bolt action rifle I found red dots to be easy pickings as I can usually kill them before they're even aware of me.

If you're getting repeatedly killed anyway you can parley which will stop them from killing you for ten minutes. If they insist on following you around and waiting it out(very unlikely) you can instantly teleport to another multiplayer mode or free roam server through the menu and they can't stop you.

Dying is also very low stakes most of the time since you don't lose anything. The major exception is when you're delivering a wagon but random players or discord recruits will be more than happy to jump in and help you do that as a full group.

I got horseman level 2, and level 1 in the other horse abilities.

Riding hard and fast at someone then two shotting them with the lematt is a pleasure. Can't wait to unlock level 3 damage with it. Maybe if I max that out and max out gunslinger I'll be able to one shot people

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
OK, does anyone have ANY silver bullets on fishing? Cause I just got to "A Fisher of Men" and I can't reel in this one fish. Sat there for 20 minutes and tried every trick I could find on the Internet to no avail. Tried holding R3 down, tapping R3 when the fish starts struggling, jamming R3 to one side when the fish starts struggling...nothing works. The fish just keeps pulling out line and Arthur cannot reel faster than molasses in January.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Any war horse is going to be pretty calm around gunfights and predators, the Hungarian Halfbred, Turkoman and Breton are all popular choices though some are apparently more reliable than others.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I bought an Arabian then immediately went and bought a warhorse. It's really yin and yang

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

OK, does anyone have ANY silver bullets on fishing? Cause I just got to "A Fisher of Men" and I can't reel in this one fish. Sat there for 20 minutes and tried every trick I could find on the Internet to no avail. Tried holding R3 down, tapping R3 when the fish starts struggling, jamming R3 to one side when the fish starts struggling...nothing works. The fish just keeps pulling out line and Arthur cannot reel faster than molasses in January.

I'm not certain, but my experience feels like as you gain "experience" (IE, doing fishing missions) it becomes easier. Jack's excursion was a pain, got Legendary Fishies unlocked, some random fishing after that was a pain, the big Dutch/Hosea boat ride was a pain, and then I do Kiernan's trip and I'm dragging in Legendaries and everything else like no big thang.

I'm still not a fishing person, unless dynamite is involved. :torgue:

Finally finished off the Legendary Wolf and Elk - wolf glitched a bit in that it wouldn't let me interact with the body until I rode off a ways and returned, but I did haul both the pelt and the entire carcass off for sale. :getin: I'm also busting the poo poo out of wolf packs by way of keeping the Springfield in-hand at all times, and keeping Deadeye fully gold. (Legendaries got the same, but with explosive ammo. (:torgue: again))

Found both a wrecked train under a bridge, and the end location for the Poisonous Trail treasure hunt, and good lord Cowboy Parkour *sucks*. Two gold bars at the train and more for the actual treasure hunt, plus assorted fuckery with looting everything possible, means I'm up to $8500 and change now.

I've found a few things that you'd think would be Points of Interest, but they're not - the eagle pillar up top of Mount Shann, cave paintings at Elysian Pond, and someone spelled out "New Hanover" with head-sized rocks along the side of the road in one spot. :iiam:

Long weekend coming, so I'll probably spend a bunch of it getting the last few animal parts for camp upgrades, loading the Trapper with what he needs for his crafting, and faffing about with challenges - apparently, the Van Horn-Blackwater run can be doable this early, but I'm not sure that my bonus Thoroughbred has the legs to pull it off; might try anyway.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Are you actively lifting/lowering your rod to pull the fish towards you while reeling? I've caught two legendaries on PC and the second one didn't even get a chance to struggle again after calming the down the first time before I brought it in.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Any war horse is going to be pretty calm around gunfights and predators, the Hungarian Halfbred, Turkoman and Breton are all popular choices though some are apparently more reliable than others.

My Ardennes only did a couple of nervous stamps when three wolves surrounded us while I did my usual panicked routine of holstering/unholstering several different weapons, trying to shoot and unsuccessfully trying to trigger dead eye at the same time. He's a very good boah and Arthur looks tiny riding him :)

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You know you can increase reelspeed right? The default is slow as hell and is mostly just for the initial cast / bite. Once its caught you mash a button a few times to max out reeling speed.

On PC with M/KB I bob the bait with LMB and then slooooowly reel it in if its way too far out. Otherwise just bob it and if the fish are close you should be able to actually see them go for it by the bubbles/water disturbance. They'll do a nibble or two before fully biting, LMB to hook em. On KB you can hold LMB + RMB to "hold" the pole and move it around, you can use this to pull the pole towards you.
So while the fish is struggling just hold LMB/RMB until its done. Then let go of LMB, crank reelspeed to max with R and start reeling in with space. Push the pole toward water while you reel, then hold RMB + LMB and pull it toward you, still while reeling. This makes you physically drag the whole fish closer to you, while reeling. Just keep repeating this process, pausing to just hold LMB/RMB and stop reeling each time the fish is struggling.

Once you get the hang of it and you nail your casts you can pull in Bluegills at least once a minute. Big catfish, muskies, and trout will still be a fight, but once you know you can pull the whole rod towards you to speed up reeling they become much easier as well.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Glenn Quebec posted:

I got horseman level 2, and level 1 in the other horse abilities.

Riding hard and fast at someone then two shotting them with the lematt is a pleasure. Can't wait to unlock level 3 damage with it. Maybe if I max that out and max out gunslinger I'll be able to one shot people

Using the sharpshooter ability card with the rolling block rifle and express ammo will one shot almost anyone with a body shot. The only times you won't one shot is if they are using level 2 or 3 health tonics or the slow and steady dead eye ability.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Playing on free aim alleviates a lot of that I find. Also the extra defense for being on a horse is more substantial than I would have thought even at level 1

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Paint it Black is really good in online too in PVP. Just use it to mark people's heads at medium range and watch every single one of your shotgun pellets beeline for their face.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Doesn't work in free aim.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

It still does, it removes practically all the bloom on whatever weapon you're using and will still hit spots you mark. Ive been using it exclusively and played on free aim for the last two weeks now.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lmao but I thought it's description was explicit about it not working in free aim

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Fishstick posted:

It still does, it removes practically all the bloom on whatever weapon you're using and will still hit spots you mark. Ive been using it exclusively and played on free aim for the last two weeks now.

Yeah it also adds some kind of homing to weapons as well it seems? Great if you want to set people on fire with fire arrows or use throwing weapons for whatever reason.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lmao but I thought it's description was explicit about it not working in free aim

You can't mark or get marked in Defensive mode in free roam, is the only limitation I think. It also doesn't do a physical cursor-lock like autoaim or anything, it just shoots the marked areas. I don't do much free roam pvp outside of events and it definitely works in those.

If you're actually good at aiming you don't even need to mark targets and actually consume deadeye : just enable it for a split second before shooting, making use of the massively improved accuracy thanks to near-zero bloom. Great for landing full shotgun bodyshots at longer ranges

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I was definitely scared about getting griefed but I've had no issues at all, I've only had good experiences with other players tbh. Even the pvp free roam stuff has seemed healthy and fun even though I'm insanely bad at them.

A few moments I've had:

-impromptu drinking with a rando in a saloon
-some guy shot a bear and gave it to me
-players helping me out when under attack by npcs in a stranger mission, and me helping out someone for theirs
-a surprisingly good pubby team in a pve mission where they protected me as I carried a bounty, we all shot our guns into the air while riding back to town

honestly even if you're bad at pvp doing the games is pretty fun cus you still get rewards even if you lose and the chaos is hilarious. you will absolutely die over and over though

Bullfrog fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 27, 2019

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Completed the main story, what a ride that was. God drat.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I had a guy acting like a tough cowboy in voice chat when I strolled into Valentine to drop off pelts, he kept getting in my face doing emotes with a buddy with him and saying poo poo like "Move along pardner you're not wanted here." while I was at the butcher.

He took his pistol out and I immediately dead eye'd him and his buddy dead and then I got reported.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Try dropping dynamite at your feet and grabbing someone in melee for a hearty lol.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Volatile fire bottle rain from a rooftop into a crowded street is too fun
:dance: :derp: :supaburn:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This was not intentional :lol:

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

Sleekly posted:

Volatile fire bottle rain from a rooftop into a crowded street is too fun
:dance: :derp: :supaburn:

What's the difference between volatile and non volatile throwables?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Molotov cocktail and dynamite / throwing knives and axes

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Transmogrifier posted:

Whoa what's this about?

Here's a reddit thread about it. It reminds me of similar poo poo happening back in GTAO. Plus there's the whole deal where having an open posse means if a mod menu user joins and adds a bunch of supplies to your camp, you get banned.

I've seen a handful of suspect folks off and on, but so far they've just been teleporting around gobbling up collectibles. Nothing really malicious. Still, all the more reason to get private lobbies.

Edit:

lambskin posted:

What's the difference between volatile and non volatile throwables?

Volatile throwables do more damage

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just got back to the first mission with Sadie Adler and gently caress the haters I love her voice and delivery so drat much. Also Arthur’s delivery is so loving good on the line with

“Haha, look... we’re all hiding behind something.”

FORESHADOWING?!

Edit: there’s even a MGSV fiddle reference. Hot drat.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Wait I’m really confused about fishing now. How do you increase reel speed with a controller? The game doesn’t tell me I can do that. Are you just talking about when you jerk the rod towards you and it goes faster for a second?

I went on the trip down the beach with Kieran for the legendary fish, but after a few minutes he was just like “yeah you need to buy a lure from a shop, this is boring, see ya”. I already have a lake lure but I guess that’s not what he means :confused:

As for badass horses, I have a mustang and he does not give a poo poo, he tramples gators without a second thought.