Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

hostile apostle posted:

Apples and oranges, you can still play your ten year old PC games on your brand new PC with new graphics card without the developer patching the game can't you?

That is VERY loving recent. And that mostly has to do with Microsoft doing a ton of work to make sure Windows is fully backwards compatible.

Google is running their own Linux based OS with Stadia, you know what android is? A linux based OS.

so no comparing it directly to the play store with the newest phone is exactly what should be happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hostile apostle posted:

Apples and oranges, you can still play your ten year old PC games on your brand new PC with new graphics card without the developer patching the game can't you?

Because it's not obfuscated through Stadia's system, which is a couple extra layers to contend with that CAN break compatibility.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Klyith posted:

lol I bet it has to do that update every single time you play, because patches applied to to the game in the VM go away when the VM is destroyed.

versus once on a console.

You are correct.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

pixaal posted:

That is VERY loving recent. And that mostly has to do with Microsoft doing a ton of work to make sure Windows is fully backwards compatible.

Google is running their own Linux based OS with Stadia, you know what android is? A linux based OS.

so no comparing it directly to the play store with the newest phone is exactly what should be happening.

Being "Linux based" has nothing to do with this. It's a conscious choice for Apple and Google to break compatibility with their previous APIs.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lambert posted:

Being "Linux based" has nothing to do with this. It's a conscious choice for Apple and Google to break compatibility with their previous APIs.

The argument was PC is backwards compatible (it hasn't always been, remember 98 to XP and not being able to reuse most software? What about XP to vista? Remember the headaches with 10? There were less with 10 but they still existed!). Saying PC is backwards compatible so is Stadia it's on a PC is meaningless.

Both Stadia and Android are made by Google, and are Linux based. You really think Google is going to play this differently? This is about Google, not about Linux. The fact that it's Linux does not mean it's backwards compatible (it also doesn't mean that it isn't, but that takes effort on Google's part).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Evergreen comment:

hostile apostle posted:

Count me as the idiot who spend $129 on a $70 chromecast ultra and a $70 controller to play RDR2 (which I have not played yet) in actual 4K 60fps and not some upscaled fake 4k on a $350 PS4 Pro which I don't have.

Google Stadia: Count me as the idiot

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

hostile apostle posted:

Yes, but that has nothing to do with Stadia offering the same functionality. Are you suggesting that any game I purchase on Stadia will work as intended in ten years?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have Stadia, it works for me 100% fine with 77 MBits/s using Chrome with the adblock enabled and even other stream in other tab.

Yesterday I played for 2 hours Destiny 2, and was great.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

hostile apostle posted:

lmao

I bought the shtick for awhile but this is where you lost me

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tei posted:

I have Stadia, it works for me 100% fine with 77 MBits/s using Chrome with the adblock enabled and even other stream in other tab.

Yesterday I played for 2 hours Destiny 2, and was great.

Serious question, not concern trolling: have you played Destiny 2 on another format, or is this your first time? How would you compare the experience if so?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Serious question, not concern trolling: have you played Destiny 2 on another format, or is this your first time? How would you compare the experience if so?

I play often on Xbox One S and a PS4 pro with SSD. Have 759 hours on Destiny 2 / ~2000 hours on Destiny 1.

The experience is good. My setup is far from optimal, but is okay to do light-PvE or light-PvP content. The game load fast and thats a improvement from even my PS4 with SSD.
I would not use this for endgame PvE or PvP, probably would have to play with a wired connection instead of wifi.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Tei posted:

I play often on Xbox One S and a PS4 pro with SSD. Have 759 hours on Destiny 2 / ~2000 hours on Destiny 1.

The experience is good. My setup is far from optimal, but is okay to do light-PvE or light-PvP content. The game load fast and thats a improvement from even my PS4 with SSD.
I would not use this for endgame PvE or PvP, probably would have to play with a wired connection instead of wifi.

PvP would only be against other people on Stadia, is it actually unplayable, or just a disadvantage so not a big deal if everyone in the room has it?

Mind you I'm not the target audience, but I have a fascination with interesting tech ideas. Google has a lot of them, they also abandon a lot of them. I still strongly believe that this is going to be mismanaged and crash and burn.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 27, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

pixaal posted:

PvP would only be against other people on Stadia, is it actually unplayable, or just a disadvantage so not a big deal if everyone in the room has it?

I don't understand the question.

Stadia have full support for mouse and keyboard. Some people in my PvP lobby was maybe with mouse and keyboard. I was playing with the PS4 controller.

I was also playing with wifi, while some of these was playing with a wire connection.

I had fun!. We won, but I was the worst on my team.

I may make this platform my main one for trash PvP content like Iron Banner where losing or winning don't matter much.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gave Stadia another shake from work via Destiny 2 and it looks like it might be working better now, more like Geforce Now's lag. Interesting. Will have to try again with my home setup and controller since that's where the lag was at its worst.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I think Stadia use better shaders than PS4.

I have to check it, but when you get the Markov chain with Montecarlo, I believe in PS4 the whole weapon is illuminated with "milk". On Stadia only the front of the weapon, ... its a much better done effect. It suspect the PS4 version of the game uses a shader that is cheaper for the hardware.

One the whole Destiny 2 looks super purty on Stadia.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

Gave Stadia another shake from work via Destiny 2 and it looks like it might be working better now, more like Geforce Now's lag. Interesting. Will have to try again with my home setup and controller since that's where the lag was at its worst.

Your work internet is probably a dedicated fibre line. What do you have at home?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tei posted:

Gotcha. Load times are pretty bad on Destiny 2, even on my PS4 Pro, so I can see that being an improvement. (Although they're really great on my SSD PC, which is where I'll play Destiny if I ever get back into it again.)

How about the visual quality? The video compression looked pretty bad on the videos I saw.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your work internet is probably a dedicated fibre line. What do you have at home?

My home internet is also Fibre, and better than work since it's not shared with hundreds of others.

My issue seems to stem more from however the controller is interfacing, because it works well on PC.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pixaal posted:

Ehhhh, I think any direct comparisons are difficult. Linux and android are not the same thing, and the reasons that phone apps go out of compatibility on android has nothing to do with the linux underneath. It's all about the pace of hardware change, and changes that google makes to the app layers which are android-specific.

Linux, as a whole, is insanely backwards-compatible. Moreso than windows. Linux games may not be as good though, since they often rely on translation layers or are barely functional ports in the first place.

Games from ten years ago on windows are no problem because the hardware and OS changes over the last 10 years have been pretty slow. The next 10 years won't be any faster. The last time that games have gone out of date in a decade was trying to play stuff from the mid-90s on win7.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

How about the visual quality? The video compression looked pretty bad on the videos I saw.

The image was an improvement over PS4. Did not had any problem, except when my laptop was trying to use the 2GHz network instead of 5GHz one.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Klyith posted:

Linux and android are not the same thing
I know this, maybe I'm not saying it clear enough. Google is the common factor, not Linux. I believe that Google will intentionally break compatibility. You can sell new games when your users can't play their old games!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

hostile apostle posted:

There are not a ton of games which support Vulkan today:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)#Games

If you take a look at the list you'd see there's a few of those titles already on Stadia, so it makes sense that's what the launch lineup consists of, e.g.:
* Tomb Raider
* Doom (coming soon)
* Rage 2
* Wolfenstein
* RDR2

It's a good thing literally nobody has ever complained about the graphics in the Stadia version of RDR2, and that it actually runs in 4k 60fps. Otherwise, your argument would be totally stupid.

To counter your argument - Stadia doesn't have a single killer app. It doesn't have a single game that is only available for Stadia that is miles ahead of what we have now. It has... Gylt? A game that would look fine on the XBox 360. Sure, not everything is going to be better, but Google just rushed out the door with nothing that says "here's why Stadia will matter in 5 years."

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pixaal posted:

I know this, maybe I'm not saying it clear enough. Google is the common factor, not Linux. I believe that Google will intentionally break compatibility. You can sell new games when your users can't play their old games!

Doing that would be suicide for their platform, even if it was doing great to begin with. Google isn't that dumb. If it was the netflix model they could totally to it, but not with this dumb buy-in system they've chosen.

Though maybe people 10 years from now will feel more comfortable with everything they "own" actually being a long term rental that evaporates arbitrarily.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

Games from ten years ago on windows are no problem because the hardware and OS changes over the last 10 years have been pretty slow. The next 10 years won't be any faster. The last time that games have gone out of date in a decade was trying to play stuff from the mid-90s on win7.

Tons of things change, but Microsoft retains a sizable compatibility layer. For 32 bit applications, for example, Microsoft has an x86 emulator called WOW64 that transparently handles executing them.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I am completely aware that I am not a deep industry insider or anything but this does seem to be a strange time to enter this business. The compute power has been there for years but the rest of the technology wasn't, and it really feels like we're about to hit a period where the compute power [b]won't[b] be there. For years games have been largely single threaded, and are only recently taking full advantage of multiple cores. The next generation of consoles are both sporting an 8-core AMD APU & targeting 4k.

We spent an entire generation with consoles holding back graphics and it feels like that dam is about to burst. CPUs were also pretty stagnant for a while, but AMD is kicking rear end there as well and i think we're also hitting the point where a processor isn't a 7 year investment, like all of the people still gaming on 2500k and 3750k chips.

This isn't about compatibility, I just think this business is about to get super expensive. It's not that hardware is going to advance, they're just going to start actually making games for and on modern hardware even when developing console-first.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Klyith posted:

lol I bet it has to do that update every single time you play, because patches applied to to the game in the VM go away when the VM is destroyed.

versus once on a console.

That is a 2K problem, not an issue with the VM technology. Docker allows you to build images with your software. Then it allows you to to tag the images you built with a version number. Next time you run the software it will automatically fetch the latest version.

I guess 2k is too busy filling the game with microtransactions to give a drat about using the proper way to distribute a software in the cloud

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tei posted:

The image was an improvement over PS4.

The image was an IMPROVEMENT over PS4 (pro, presumably)? In what way?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

pixaal posted:

Do you know where I can read up on this? I've got a copy of Theme Park World I've been itching to play again, but last time I tried on Windows 10 it didn't do poo poo.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Kin posted:

Do you know where I can read up on this? I've got a copy of Theme Park World I've been itching to play again, but last time I tried on Windows 10 it didn't do poo poo.

I was not saying it was perfect by any stretch. I was replying to a post saying PC gaming is backwards compatible by nature so Stadia would be too. As you can see, it very clearly is not. I was also meaning they put a lot of work to make sure 10 was compatible with windows Vista / 7 software. Anything before they moved to NT is usually not going to run.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Kin posted:

Play the vastly better Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 or 2 instead.

Or buy it pre-patched from Gog: https://www.gog.com/game/theme_park

Or search for a compatibility patch/installation instructions

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Lambert posted:

Tons of things change, but Microsoft retains a sizable compatibility layer. For 32 bit applications, for example, Microsoft has an x86 emulator called WOW64 that transparently handles executing them.

Not Stadia-related, but look at this then look at Apple, who are actively removing 32bit from MacOS, with all the broken and nonfunctional programs that resulted in.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

limaCAT posted:

That is a 2K problem, not an issue with the VM technology. Docker allows you to build images with your software. Then it allows you to to tag the images you built with a version number. Next time you run the software it will automatically fetch the latest version.

I guess 2k is too busy filling the game with microtransactions to give a drat about using the proper way to distribute a software in the cloud

Yeah, sports and some other games often have in-game-UI updates which are separate from the patch the game installs normally through your console UI or Steam or whatever. Usually with sports its for roster updates but I think some gameplay tweaks can find their way there too.

Destiny 2 and Borderlands 3 also do this, so this should be fun for when Stadia gets going.

Lambert posted:

They do the same thing for 16-bit applications but only on the 32-bit versions of Windows. So on the 64-bit versions of Windows there's no way to run a 16-bit executable, which includes a lot of older game installers (although not necessarily the games themselves).

This results in some weirdness like some official-but-deprecated Microsoft software can require some weird digging to find 32-bit versions of them if they exist at all, like Microsoft used to have some sort of index card software and it still existed in like Windows XP x64 or some such.

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 27, 2019

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Klyith posted:

Doing that would be suicide for their platform, even if it was doing great to begin with. Google isn't that dumb. If it was the netflix model they could totally to it, but not with this dumb buy-in system they've chosen.

Though maybe people 10 years from now will feel more comfortable with everything they "own" actually being a long term rental that evaporates arbitrarily.

Google isn't an entity with a unified purpose. It's a massive and chaotic corporate organism with some kind of strategy exerted from the top, but the behavior of individual business units is unpredictable, and the units themselves may change. What I'm trying to say with rather bad metaphors: You may be right or the other person may be right. Whoever is in charge of Stadia at some point of time in the future may be just that dumb, or may be a competent person. Perhaps they will have some completely different goals, which require breaking existing games. We don't know. Google does not have a track record of being a stable platform with stable services.

On the other hand, I am confident they won't break anything but ancient and/or very niche games and they will issue refunds if they do decide to break something. So I wouldn't really worry about that part when deciding on trying out Stadia or not. It's safe to buy games from them. I even think they will eventually offer some kind of download option for purchased games (perhaps running in a weird VM or docker image, who knows).

The decision on whether to throw money at Stadia should be based on how lucky you feel about your connectivity to the servers and your personal tolerance for various kinds of latency and instability. If you're on the fence, just wait until it's possible to (properly) test for free and make a decision then. For some people, streaming will be great. For others, it will be impossible to enjoy. The interesting part is that it's very difficult to predict before trying it out.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
TEN POINT SEVEN MOTHERFUCKING TERAFLOPS

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think it's crazy that people would choose "more pixels than 1080p" over responsiveness and not having lag spikes and shifting image/animation quality. You get more pixels than something that already looks great but lose on everything else, it makes no sense.

More likely, nobody is actually making that choice and stadia users are people who are rigidly opposed to owning a console for whatever reason.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

No Wave posted:

More likely, nobody is actually making that choice and stadia users are people who are rigidly opposed to owning a console for whatever reason.

And that's fine, honestly. There's a group of people this is perfect for. It's just clearly not as big as Google seems to think it is.

Stadia is a neat (and flawed) curiosity. It's not the "disruptive" new wave of gaming.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Yeah I'll run some games in 4K locally on my PC if I want eye-searing sharpness at the expense of framerate, but streaming 4K isn't really close to the same experience, even when it isn't cheating the resolution to begin with.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I think it's crazy that people would choose "more pixels than 1080p" over responsiveness and not having lag spikes and shifting image/animation quality. You get more pixels than something that already looks great but lose on everything else, it makes no sense.

Every person I've seen so far with a Stadia clearly has enough money for a decent gaming PC and probably already has one. So far its uptake seems to be just nerds who will try any dumb tech poo poo.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

univbee posted:

Gave Stadia another shake from work via Destiny 2 and it looks like it might be working better now, more like Geforce Now's lag.

Introducing Stadia! If you can get it working, it's almost as good as our competition's free beta!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The image was an IMPROVEMENT over PS4 (pro, presumably)? In what way?

Better shaders. I imagine the PS4 shaders are easy on the hardware and look worse.