Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PeterWeller posted:

I think one could quibble about "kills" here, but I take that as a fair point. But also, the movies as a whole and the prequels in particular are terribly inconsistent on their moral stance around droids.

And not my view. The movies' view. The Nemodians are caricatures of greedy others. They're never enthusiastic about the scheme to squeeze Naboo. They're only in it because Sidious tells them it will work and then intimidates them by sending Maul along. Sidious is never "really unpopular." Indeed, one of the points of his whole Naboo scheme is to increase his popularity and become chancellor. We shift forward to Ep2 to eventually learn that the leader of the Seperatists is actually his Sith apprentice and through a scheme of theirs, the Jedi were handed an army by which they were goaded into beginning a war. The war begins not because of widespread disillusionment with the Republic but because Sidious sets up a voice of dissent and then tricks the Jedi into proving his point. Then you get to the original trilogy, which is about restoring liberal democracy from a fascist takeover, and the sequels, which are about defending that liberal democracy from a fascist invasion from the "Unknown Regions."

This is just forums poster Cnut’s misreading of events , repeated verbatim. And that path ended with him being driven mad like a Lovecraft protagonist. I suggest stepping back from it.

There is no ‘inconsistency’ with regards to C3PO. He was a person, and then he was killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I assume the leaders of the Corporate Alliance and the Intergalactic Banking Clan are on the side of capital.

That's why I asked, forgot about those guys.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Blood Boils posted:

Khan was smuggling them out of cold storage where RoboCop was holding them hostage. Khan probably chose torpedoes so that they would end up on the battleship he built and could control alone, but Marcus caught them. He gave them to Kirk to carpet bomb Kronos with, which would remove all the evidence and give him the war he felt was necessary.

It's just a run of the mill black ops double cross.

Came here to post this, but thankfully another Cine D poster delivers.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Nutreks are pretty good to decent, even though it's true they have no respect for the OG trek characters. It's a mirror universe, but instead of evil goatees it's the Kirk's Drift phenomenon.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Blood Boils posted:

Khan was smuggling them out of cold storage where RoboCop was holding them hostage. Khan probably chose torpedoes so that they would end up on the battleship he built and could control alone, but Marcus caught them. He gave them to Kirk to carpet bomb Kronos with, which would remove all the evidence and give him the war he felt was necessary.

If Marcus knew what was in the torpedoes why not just kill them immediately (or use them as leverage against Khan, like he was doing originally) rather than going through a convoluted scheme to have Kirk launch them at Kronos.

The idea that this is less confusing that TFA is bizarre.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Bogus Adventure posted:

Torpedoes made sense, whereas I had no loving clue what happened to the New Republic after Starkiller Base blew up 6 or so random planets.

It's just the Empire and the Rebels again.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

And furthermore, why did time travel 200 years after he was born change an Indian ubermensch from a suave South American with amazing hair into a pasty British dude with normal hair

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Lionarcher I don’t think people who write hundreds of thousands of words over hundreds of pages hate the thing they are talking about

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Terror Sweat posted:

And furthermore, why did time travel 200 years after he was born change an Indian ubermensch from a suave South American with amazing hair into a pasty British dude with normal hair

Kirk's interaction with the Guardian of Forever resulted in Khan's specific augments having been chosen into that configuration, but in the Kelvin Universe Khan was woken up before Kirk had done that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

All JJ had to do was just make Cumberbatch into one of the other Augments that wasn’t Khan, but they just had to have a name character

This universe’s Kirk hasn’t even met Khan before so it’s literally pointless to have them square off. There’s no history except from the original timeline.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spock: I know you said but to call you with questions because of time reasons but this is really important
Spock: What the gently caress? I'm in the movie now?
Spock: Yeah did you ever see Wrath of Kahn? What happens in Wrath of Kahn?
Spock: Christ

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Kirk's interaction with the Guardian of Forever resulted in Khan's specific augments having been chosen into that configuration, but in the Kelvin Universe Khan was woken up before Kirk had done that

So the original Indian ubermensch is a British guy? That's insanely hosed up, like having the prototypical native American be a white guy from Boston

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Terror Sweat posted:

So the original Indian ubermensch is a British guy? That's insanely hosed up, like having the prototypical native American be a white guy from Boston

Well his parents were collaborators with the British occupation probably I don't know I'm not gene Roseberry

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is just forums poster Cnut’s misreading of events , repeated verbatim. And that path ended with him being driven mad like a Lovecraft protagonist. I suggest stepping back from it.

What PeterWeller (lol, topical) is describing are the literal events of the movies. You shrugging them off by mentioning Cnut doesn't change that.

And again, none of this belongs in the spoiler thread.

Ha, I like this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Spock: I know you said but to call you with questions because of time reasons but this is really important
This is an actual thing that happens in Into Darkness for those that haven’t seen it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vintersorg posted:

How the hell is TFA confusing?? :lol:

Tfa tells us that , in the direct sequel to the emperor dieing and his spaceship blowing up, the remnants of imperial ships are now just crashed out scrap and the empire is dead and buried

It also tells us that Han and Leia's marriage failed after they had a kid, the kid got corrupted, luke fled, the new republic failed, Leia failed and made her own brownshirt army to support her old friends who now ignore her, and that a new group made up of ?? Has so much might it is retaking the Galaxy and does so quite easily due to the new republic's failure.

It doesn't show us any of this besides the space laser. It does show us lots of knowing glances about special child Rey but doesn't show or tell what these mean or how Han/maz/leia know about rey. It also shows us a famous actor with a map to Luke who immediately gets killed and don't ask questions about him

The details are left as an exercise for the reader, who in this case was Rian Johnson

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

This is basically the same thing Abrams did in TFA with the Death Star ("Isn't this just another Death Star?" "Uh, actually it's ten times as big and can blow up five planets at once."), only where the Starkiller Base is more powerful than the Death Star, Spock basically explains that the old Khan was way more impressive than the old one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

mastershakeman posted:

Tfa tells us that , in the direct sequel to the emperor dieing and his spaceship blowing up, the remnants of imperial ships are now just crashed out scrap and the empire is dead and buried

It also tells us that Han and Leia's marriage failed after they had a kid, the kid got corrupted, luke fled, the new republic failed, Leia failed and made her own brownshirt army to support her old friends who now ignore her, and that a new group made up of ?? Has so much might it is retaking the Galaxy and does so quite easily due to the new republic's failure.

It doesn't show us any of this besides the space laser. It does show us lots of knowing glances about special child Rey but doesn't show or tell what these mean or how Han/maz/leia know about rey. It also shows us a famous actor with a map to Luke who immediately gets killed and don't ask questions about him

The details are left as an exercise for the reader, who in this case was Rian Johnson

I haven't read any novels before or after TFA and I understood all this from the movie alone.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Polo-Rican posted:

Actually I like Star Wars a lot! The original trilogy is miraculous. I wish the new movies were good but, unfortunately, they are bad.

edit: in retrospect there's something weird about Star Wars. Trekkies can freely and easily admit that most of the movies are terrible... even that the last few series have been terrible... trekkies can comfortably talk to trekkies while only enjoying 10% of the total franchise. But Star Wars makes people crazyyyyyyyyyy

From the outset Trek had a mix of good and bad, which became more good than bad during the 80s-90s movies and TV, and then flipped once DS9 ended (just stating general opinions, obv to each their own).

There's 6 OG movies, 4 next gen, and 3 reboot, plus like 500+ TV episodes. While all the content was within the same universe, the shows were usually independent save for pilots, a rare cross-over, and series finale. A diehard TNG fan can get along fine with a casual watcher who liked Voyager since it was what aired during their adolescence. Phasers and warp drives and prime directives serve as common threads, but the plots and characters don't tread upon one another.

Meanwhile, characters and moments from the OT are ret-conned in the PT and special editions, and the ST acts as a coda on many people's favorite OT characters 3-4 decades later. It's almost like it was designed to maximize arguments and prompt fans to align themselves and then dig into the online trenches.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

kalensc posted:

Meanwhile, characters and moments from the OT are ret-conned in the PT

???

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FlamingLiberal posted:

All JJ had to do was just make Cumberbatch into one of the other Augments that wasn’t Khan, but they just had to have a name character
Cumberbatch was clearly intended to be Joachim, he even looks like him, and Khan was going to be someone else in the background set up as a future villain (probably why they were trying to get Benicio Del Toro: to continue the fine tradition of casting actors from Mexico with fabulous hair as Khan), but at some point someone said gently caress it and just made Dr. Strange into Khan.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 27, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The United States posted:

Cumberbatch was clearly intended to be Joachim, he even looks like him, and Khan was going to be someone else in the background set up as a future villain (probably why they were trying to get Benicio Del Toro: to continue the fine tradition of casting actors from Mexico with fabulous hair as Khan), but at some point someone said gently caress it and just made Dr. Strange into Khan.

If they were going to just rehash some og poo poo I don't see why they didn't just cast him as Gary Mitchell and do a big budget version of that story. Add in the section 31 stuff if you must, it still works with them wanting to weaponize Mitchell's growing powers or whatever. Bonus, now you don't have to whitewash anyone!

But Khan!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The United States posted:

Funny story, this guy (who practically steals every scene he's in) isn't credited in the movie because his agent tried to pull some "His name's on the poster or his name isn't on the film at all!!!" power move

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DrNutt posted:

If they were going to just rehash some og poo poo I don't see why they didn't just cast him as Gary Mitchell and do a big budget version of that story. Add in the section 31 stuff if you must, it still works with them wanting to weaponize Mitchell's growing powers or whatever. Bonus, now you don't have to whitewash anyone!

But Khan!
The rumor for awhile was that Cumberbatch was going to be Gary Mitchell

I would have liked to see them do an adaptation of Where No Man Has Gone Before. It would have been far better than what we got with Into Darkness.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

John Boyega confirmed that the actual TRoS script that briefly ended up on eBay was his script

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11/27/star-wars-jj-abrams-reveals-how-rise-of-skywalker-script-wound-up-on-ebay

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FlamingLiberal posted:

The rumor for awhile was that Cumberbatch was going to be Gary Mitchell

I would have liked to see them do an adaptation of Where No Man Has Gone Before. It would have been far better than what we got with Into Darkness.

Yeah, grass is greener et al but I don't see how it could have been any worse than what they went ahead and did.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FlamingLiberal posted:

John Boyega confirmed that the actual TRoS script that briefly ended up on eBay was his script

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11/27/star-wars-jj-abrams-reveals-how-rise-of-skywalker-script-wound-up-on-ebay

Makes sense nothing came of it because knowing finns role in the movie spoils nothing since he's a useless charafter

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Lmao, boyega must be done as gently caress with Disney in general. Don't blame him, Finn as a character is a total mess and Disney openly using the Chinese market as an excuse to cut him out of promotional stuff can't be much fun.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*buys Star Wars spoilers from John Boyega in a dimly lit parking garage at 3 AM*

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is Sebulba in the new movie? I don't want to read the long document. I wish to see Sebulba.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel that he is, OP. I feel that both he and his pod racing hoes will always be w/ us

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He probably just dropped the script under the bed and didn't see it when he was packing, these actors have tight schedules

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This simultaneously impressed me (for how tragic Anakin’s story is in TPM) and angered me in how poorly it was told). Reading this makes me more sympathetic to Anakin saying “gently caress the jedi”

Edit: oops think I posted this in the wrong thread

https://twitter.com/faitherinhicks/status/1199381399926534144?s=21
https://twitter.com/faitherinhicks/status/1199381789996748800?s=21
https://twitter.com/faitherinhicks/status/1199382118821855232?s=21
https://twitter.com/faitherinhicks/status/1199382546548584453?s=21

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 28, 2019

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Literally the Spaceballs bit where they watch the VHS.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Terror Sweat posted:

This was the greatest sin of the movie. Benedict Cumberbatch is no Ricardo Montalban.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Lmao, boyega must be done as gently caress with Disney in general. Don't blame him, Finn as a character is a total mess and Disney openly using the Chinese market as an excuse to cut him out of promotional stuff can't be much fun.

:same:

He is the best unironic thing about the new movies. The best ironic things are the memes, like TR8R, sick spins, wide Kylo, and Porgasms.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

theblackw0lf posted:

This simultaneously impressed me (for how tragic Anakin’s story is in TPM) and angered me in how poorly it was told). Reading this makes me more sympathetic to Anakin saying “gently caress the jedi”

Edit: oops think I posted this in the wrong thread

https://twitter.com/faitherinhicks/status/1199381399926534144?s=21
https://twitter.com/faitherinhicks/status/1199381789996748800?s=21
https://twitter.com/faitherinhicks/status/1199382118821855232?s=21
https://twitter.com/faitherinhicks/status/1199382546548584453?s=21

Fuuuuck

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

his star trek movies got to be actual reboots, the star wars ST instead act as both chronological sequel and spiritual reboot and end up failing at both

Yes, that's a good point.

For those saying Into Darkness is as confusing as TFA, no freaking way. When we say TFA is confusing, we don't mean we don't understand what is happening. The exact details of Robocop's plan in ST: Into Darkness don't matter that much. Visually, the Augments being in the torpedoes communicates the idea: behind the clean image of the Federation's smart drone warfare is the "savagery" of Khan and friends. The movie is about, how much progress has really been made since the Eugenics Wars?, and what happens when the Federation uses Space Mujahideen to fight its wars for it and the blowback that ensues, etc. We can discuss whether that's a good theme or not, but it's communicated fairly effectively through dialogue and imagery.

But as we've gone over many times in both threads, the basic set up of TFA makes no goddamn sense not because I'm too dumb to understand the logistics of its universe, but because the movie fails to convey any of it using the tools of cinema. What is the Resistance fighting for? What does the New Republic represent? Who supports the First Order and why? What's Kylo's problem? There is a story somewhere in there (one that sucks) but it's hopelessly obfuscated.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
TFA has a huge problem with worldbuilding and setting up motivations but saying Into Darkness isn't confusing because you're choosing to ignore all of the bits that are is lazy and dishonest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

TFA has a huge problem with worldbuilding and setting up motivations but saying Into Darkness isn't confusing because you're choosing to ignore all of the bits that are is lazy and dishonest.

Blood Boils already gave a perfectly clear explanation. You're just hung up on details that don't matter because the movie isn't a documentary about hiding people inside torpedoes.

Anyway, how about those spoilers for TRoS? Do you guys think it really ends with Kylo just getting yeeted into a pit? Just thinking about it makes me laugh.