Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So that's Sparty, Kentucky, and Duke with embarrassing early season losses

#1 Louisville?, ew

Kansas had a hard time shaking off a BYU team that was a) physically no match for them and b) had a player who looked old enough to not only have been on the requisite mission, but also to have married, had three teenage kids and be struggling with a mortgage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m late, but gently caress duke.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So that's Sparty, Kentucky, and Duke with embarrassing early season losses

#1 Louisville?, ew

Ours was easily the least embarrassing so put us back at #1 baby

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the heuristic they use for the rankings - up if win, down if lose - is so dumb for a week of college basketball. love it

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Hahaha gently caress Duke.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NotJerryTipton/status/1199547877443473408

Also, thanks I guess.

I said the worst thing about Kentucky losing was Duke becoming #1. But now with Sparty also losing, this means Louisville will be #1 and that might be worse. If they win the football game on Saturday, god help me at work because their fans will be insufferable for a month until Kentucky beats the #1 for the second time this year.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Going across sports, but is this the biggest upset since Appy State v. Michigan in 2007, or is this even bigger?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Going across sports, but is this the biggest upset since Appy State v. Michigan in 2007, or is this even bigger?

Tough to say. Duke hadn’t lost a nonconference home game since 2000, but in basketball if one team catches fire and the other has an off night, tables can turn. App State was an FCS team but they were the best one. SFA is usually the best team in the Southland but KenPom had them in the 250s this year. That Michigan team turned out to be not that great. We don’t know how Duke will end up.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

I wouldn't even say it's the biggest upset this season

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

maybe I'm biased but I think the UMBC one in the tournament, a 16 beating a 1, was the biggest upset of the decade

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

oystertoadfish posted:

maybe I'm biased but I think the UMBC one in the tournament, a 16 beating a 1, was the biggest upset of the decade

By cold numbers alone, this is the biggest of the Kenpom era. UMBC was a better team playing at a neutral site, so they had about a 3% chance as against the 0.2% chance of SFA winning at Duke. But in context, sure, breaking the 16 vs. 1 streak is the biggest, especially since no one will care about this game in March.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The remarkable thing about the UMBC upset is that they blew Virginia out.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
SFA got smoked by Rutgers last week lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MourningView posted:

SFA got smoked by Rutgers last week lol

Rutgers is better than Duke.

Sorry, I don't make the rules

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Poque posted:

https://twitter.com/BarstoolBDevils/status/1199548183543734272?s=19

This is the most bitchmade tweet in recorded history

The tweet where the CEO of Barstool was openly crying in the parking lot after the Pats lost in the regular season is up there.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Kansas had a hard time shaking off a BYU team that was a) physically no match for them and b) had a player who looked old enough to not only have been on the requisite mission, but also to have married, had three teenage kids and be struggling with a mortgage.

Their old man game was strong, as was their defense.

Help defense when done right can win you a championship. See: Villanova

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

kiimo posted:

The tweet where the CEO of Barstool was openly crying in the parking lot after the Pats lost in the regular season is up there.

HE RUINED MY TOWEL DAY

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

iospace posted:

Rutgers is better than Duke.

Sorry, I don't make the rules

facts is facts

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao the Lacrosse Guy went off on Bradley and Northwestern is playing in the finals of some lovely tournament against Pitt, this is the weirdest Northwestern team I've ever seen.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

"Bad Boy Mowers Battle 4 Atlantis" is a great sequence of words, really one of the best.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Bird in a Blender posted:

It's never too late for gently caress Duke.

gently caress Duke.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

"Bad Boy Mowers Battle 4 Atlantis" is a great sequence of words, really one of the best.

that every-possible-male-insecurity-ailment-from-limpdick-to-receding-hairline company roman is sponsoring a tournament, i thought that was a pretty hilarious one. it's basically one step removed from RhinoHorn69 Tournament of Champions Classic Presented By Exploitasaurus Bay, Banana Republic

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Lmao Duke

I have a question about the rules. If a player shoots a layup, the buzzer sounds, an opponent going for the block makes contact with the ball (*after the buzzer* and no goaltending), if the ball still goes in, would it count? Or is the play dead since a defender made contact after the buzzer?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

colachute posted:

I have a question about the rules. If a player shoots a layup, the buzzer sounds, an opponent going for the block makes contact with the ball (*after the buzzer* and no goaltending), if the ball still goes in, would it count? Or is the play dead since a defender made contact after the buzzer?

Spent way too much time googling and found this: https://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/6235/bouncing-in-a-buzzer-beater-a-ruling-from-the-nba

Basically, the shot counts. The defender can only immediately kill the shot by getting back possession. Partially deflecting a shot ball doesn't count as a shot kill, even after the buzzer. The only post-buzzer immediate shot-killer is if the shooter's team touches it again (tip-in attempts are counted as second shots) or the shot outright misses.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's close enough to a judgement call though that I wouldn't be surprised if a ref blew it off. You're supposed to still be able to commit a foul on a shooter after the clock rolls to zero (like if you come down on their face or elbow) but I've seen refs call that foul, then have the call overridden or rescinded "due to the period being over before the foul."

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Apparently DePaul is a final four team

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MourningView posted:

Apparently DePaul is a final four team

Lol we’ll be getting a real live test of the transitive property on Wednesday. Hypothetically DePaul should be beating TTU by 26

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

i am late too and also gently caress duke

but also WVU is good again and fun, go the mountaineers

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU is looking young and fun again.

Should be a fun game vs Iowa

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Not sure why Michigan wasn't ranked before this tourney but that'll change.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C-Euro posted:

They're gonna go from unranked to top 10 lol

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It's not a good thing that I saw that UVA beat VT 39-30 and assumed it was a basketball score.

In other news I'm not looking forward to the UVA/Purdue rematch next week as I'm still not over the last meeting.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

C-Euro posted:

Anyone who says they saw this coming is full of poo poo.

Michigan was projected to be anywhere from 5th-8th in the Big Ten this year, only 3rd-ish if Beilein came back. Basically, a borderline NCAA-tournament team in a down year for the Big Ten. They lost three pros from last year (starting 2/3/4 and I'm counting Matthews, since he tore his ACL in tryouts), only got one incoming starting-level dude (The Franz), and he promptly fractured his wrist before the first game. Michigan even has two full, unfilled scholarship slots because their coach, who has never coached in college, couldn't recruit anybody else in time!

In that first game, Michigan nearly blew a 30-point lead to Appalachian State because goddamnit, I was at that football game and the basketball gods knew it :argh:. They then beat Creighton, a near-KenPom equal team, at home. That only created a collective "hmm... maybe we make the tournament after all, that would be nice!"

All tournament long, players that looked like transfer candidates for "fresh starts" are getting wide-open 3s and canning them. A team with gaping holes at the 2 and 3, with no bench whatsoever, suddenly has all of the above, while still running around lost at times.

There's only one reason I can think of for any of it and it's all in this video.

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1200527190837858304

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Rutgers looked like poo poo the first two weeks, including a bad loss to St. Bonaventure in Canada. They've blown out crappy teams two games in a row, and now the real OOC schedule is starting in that they play two teams worth a poo poo period OOC this year in probably the worst NC OOC in the country. The only excuse they have is South Carolina pulled out of a game, which led to St. Bonaventure. No one really knows how good they are, but they have a decent chance to knock off a mediocre Wisconsin team at home. But they're better than Duke apparently.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Poque posted:

It's not a good thing that I saw that UVA beat VT 39-30 and assumed it was a basketball score.

In other news I'm not looking forward to the UVA/Purdue rematch next week as I'm still not over the last meeting.

I do wonder if Clemson's football team will end up scoring more against UVA than the men's basketball team will.

It'll be the football team our basketball team isn't good

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU ran over Iowa in the second half and is 8-0. Malachi Flynn scored 28 second half points.

It feels good to run through a non conference schedule like this, even if it's watered down compared to previous years

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well after that tournament, I feel like ISU isn’t going to be that great this year. Possibly bottom half of the Big 12. I generally like Prohm as a coach, but he needs to start getting better results.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Well after that tournament, I feel like ISU isn’t going to be that great this year. Possibly bottom half of the Big 12. I generally like Prohm as a coach, but he needs to start getting better results.

They have a couple really good players, especially Haliburton, but the roster doesn't really seem to totally make sense and his offense kinda stinks

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Tech scored 2 points in overtime.

The offense runs through Ramsey and he's as hot/cold as they come.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
FSU / Tennessee and VCU / Purdue were both ugly yesterday. Purdue / FSU today is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Oh god, this abortion of a game is going to OT