Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

redeyes posted:

You can't just say something like that without a link.

I remembered it wrong, it was a $300 power cable and a cat wrecked it.

https://gizmodo.com/300-audiophile-grade-power-cable-is-really-worth-15-371536

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

still good as hell

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

All 26 pages of the review thread linked in the OP there are great.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ci%C3%BAnas-dac-usb-dac-review.9788/

The manufacturer is something special.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

qirex posted:

I remembered it wrong, it was a $300 power cable and a cat wrecked it.

https://gizmodo.com/300-audiophile-grade-power-cable-is-really-worth-15-371536

The first reply is a gem

quote:

@FightingChance: What you say about digital cables is TOTALLY true. It either works or it doesn't. Case in point... I bought a 50' HDMI cable for my front projection home theater. Paid about $80 at Fry's for it, for fifty feet. Works perfectly, and I'm sending 1080p over it from a PS3.

At the same time, I spent $250 on Transparent Cable speaker wiring for my Monitor Audio and Speakercraft surrounds for this same theater , after comparing these cables to cheap Radio Shack wire. I did notice a difference. But in comparison to many high end cables out there, I didn't spend all that much. It makes sense to spend a little more on analog cables, but you quickly get to a point of diminishing returns on these things. My local home theater installer was nice enough to loan me a length of the good stuff to try first.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The whole thing with digital cables not really mattering got slightly confused with 4K and generally needing "Premium Certified" HDMI cables for that, at least for lengths over 6 feet or so. Fortunately, they're not really any more expensive, and monoprice ones work great and cost about the same as any generic non-premium-certified cable.

It's still that it either works or it doesn't, but you get a lot more "doesn't" with 4K. Digital sparkles, picture drops, and the like.

As much as I like the ease of hdmi, it really needs a replacement with higher resolution a/v stuff.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

HDMI sucks and always has sucked. Literally the only cable I've ever owned that self-destructs over time to the point it completely loses contact and needs to be replaced. Twice! HDCP also helps make HDMI suck even more but good luck getting rid of that poo poo.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

give us that 12G-SDI with BNC connectors

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
DisplayPort was always my favorite

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
HDCP has gotten a lot better. I don't think I've seen too many handshake problems recently. You do have to be careful with the cables for sure

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The problem with HDMI is they didn’t really bother to design for super common use cases like long runs for projectors or not wanting to upgrade your receiver. The good news is 48gbps is mostly irrelevant and the important bits of 2.1 like VRR and eARC already work. Nobody needs 120fps 8k at home and if they do they can pay some installer 5 figures to get it working.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

qirex posted:

The problem with HDMI is they didn’t really bother to design for super common use cases like long runs for projectors or not wanting to upgrade your receiver. The good news is 48gbps is mostly irrelevant and the important bits of 2.1 like VRR and eARC already work. Nobody needs 120fps 8k at home and if they do they can pay some installer 5 figures to get it working.

Someone hasn't met PC gamers

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

iospace posted:

Someone hasn't met PC gamers

The jealousy flowing through my veins right now

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I've managed to get myself on someone's mailing list and a copy of the AudioAdvisor catalogue came through the door - just in time for Christmas! I think the highlight is the Black Mesh Oval 9 Speaker Cable, Nine-gauge high purity copper with patented hollow oval geometry, and the most realistic cable the conductor of the Beijing Symphony has ever heard. 6' for $561, seems like a bargain.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
It really is, I'd expect to pay that per foot!

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

shortspecialbus posted:

All 26 pages of the review thread linked in the OP there are great.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ci%C3%BAnas-dac-usb-dac-review.9788/

The manufacturer is something special.

These, and the TotalDAC review were great.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Albinator posted:

I've managed to get myself on someone's mailing list and a copy of the AudioAdvisor catalogue came through the door - just in time for Christmas! I think the highlight is the Black Mesh Oval 9 Speaker Cable, Nine-gauge high purity copper with patented hollow oval geometry, and the most realistic cable the conductor of the Beijing Symphony has ever heard. 6' for $561, seems like a bargain.

hi-fi catalogs are always a good time imo

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I found out there's a huge HiFi store down the street from me.

Is it against the rules to window shop to the poop?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Window shopping isn't touching, yeah?

The hifi/car stereo store back home is not something that deserves to be in this thread, remarkably. My dad's been shopping there for ages, and I always turned my nose up at them until last winter when we needed a weird HDMI cable and they were our only option without driving 2+ hours to the next town over that might have a Best Buy. Turns out the owner knows my dad (high school teacher in a small town, he knows everyone), and went on a rant about one of his clients had been hosed over by an unscrupulous installer who sold him on snake oil cables and poo poo.

You're alright, angry small town hifi dude.

...the shop is also decorated with a quantity of taxidermied elk heads that's impressive even for Montana.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Most of their speaker brands are fairly reasonable. I mean, Dynaudio and Monitor both follow good engineering principles, and while Sonus Faber isn’t the last word in accuracy, I have yet to meet a person who doesn’t love how they look.

The real question is whether or not they push snake oil garbage on you. I get why every shop carries and sells high end cables and what not, because if someone wants it, you’d best have it. But most stores I’ve gone to haven’t bothered pushing it once I’ve indicated that I don’t buy into the cables thing.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah thats a pretty good way to separate wheat from chaff; you have stores that don't sell overpriced cables at all, you have stores that will sell them to you but not push them, and you have stores that will push them and make outlandish claims about their performance.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

They sell audioquest cables.

You know, of the 1k HDMI cable fame. Admittedly it's more reasonable in terms of pricing but still.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

iospace posted:

You know, of the 1k HDMI cable fame. Admittedly it's more reasonable in terms of pricing but still.

I'm so glad I went to the department store with my dad when he got his first HDTV. They tried to sell him Audioquest cables, and I asked the sales rep to demo the difference between a cheap cable and an expensive one, while explaining to my dad how digital signals work. It was beautiful watching the rep get progressively sweatier as I went into detail on how analog signals need certain transmission characteristics, but if your stream of 1s and 0s gets interrupted, you just get glitches and drop-outs. Eventually he gave up on trying to hook up the test unit to do a demo and we moved on.

Dad ended up spending $12 on an HDMI cable that he's still using today.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I explain digital transmission as being in one of 3 states:

1. Full signal
2. Garbage signal
3. No signal

The level of cable that provides #1 is far lower than people making/selling cables want people to know. And anything other than #1 is unacceptable, so the idea of using a cable that doesn't provide #1 is stupid.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Glad you included option 2. Far too many people say digital is only 1 or 3 but lots of digital protocols can run degraded silently or where many people don't look like logs. So your SATA 666gbps link might run at SATA 1 speeds if your cable sucks and you aren't benching or being a nerd.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

iospace posted:

I accidentally ended up in a mini seminar with the audioquest designer at RMAF. I made it less than 5 minutes before I walked out. Also, it’s sad that a 1k HDMI cable barely raises an eyebrow for me anymore. Compared to Nordost and others, that’s nothing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I saw a post on AVS where some guy auditioned the 80k MIT articulation control console speaker cables and to my surprise he said "I didn't hear anything different"

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It was beautiful watching the rep get progressively sweatier as I went into detail on how analog signals need certain transmission characteristics, but if your stream of 1s and 0s gets interrupted, you just get glitches and drop-outs.

You can also use that as a foundation to explain why it doesn’t make sense to buy expensive audiophile analog cables either. A HDMI 2.0 cable has three digital signal pairs running at up to 6 gigabits per second each. That means each pair is required to have at least 6 GHz of analog bandwidth. When you can buy a rocket ship 6 GHz cable for $20 and everyone involved (retailer, supply chain, manufacturer) makes plenty of profit, why’s a humble rowboat of a 20kHz analog interconnect cable gotta cost $1K or more?

taqueso posted:

Glad you included option 2. Far too many people say digital is only 1 or 3 but lots of digital protocols can run degraded silently or where many people don't look like logs. So your SATA 666gbps link might run at SATA 1 speeds if your cable sucks and you aren't benching or being a nerd.

This is generally true for link types that are mission critical (the correct data must get through) and also forgiving of delayed delivery. SATA and PCIe both have retry features, for example: the receiver of a data packet calculates the payload checksum and compares it against the checksum sent by the sender, and if they mismatch, the receiver asks for a retry. They may also be able to renegotiate link speeds, eg PCIe Gen4 links (16 GT/s) can fall back all the way to Gen1 speed (2.5 GT/s) and/or drop down to fewer lanes to keep communications alive.

For protocols like HDMI, the data is time sensitive (the next frame must always be transmitted in 1/60th of a second if the refresh rate is 60Hz), and the system doesn’t crash if something goes wrong in one frame. So the receiver just lives with bad data when it happens. If there are data integrity features, they’re just used to detect problems rather than trying super hard to get the correct data through.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

taqueso posted:

This is true but the important thing to note is that a garbage signal doesn’t reduce quality the way that audiophools think it does.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Has anyone gone with the chemical resistant insulation angle yet? It keeps out acids, pollution, ley line radiations, kids fingerprints, if you want a clean signal you have to have it. Did you know that carbon dioxide can pass through ordinary rubber?! And you thought your wires were "protected".

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

taqueso posted:

Has anyone gone with the chemical resistant insulation angle yet? It keeps out acids, pollution, ley line radiations, kids fingerprints, if you want a clean signal you have to have it. Did you know that carbon dioxide can pass through ordinary rubber?! And you thought your wires were "protected".

Not gonna lie, this would work. How else can you guarantee that he middle of your 99.9% pure copper cable won’t oxidize?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

polyester concept posted:

This is true but the important thing to note is that a garbage signal doesn’t reduce quality the way that audiophools think it does.

A garbage digital signal looks/sounds like garbage. But it's immediately noticeable. Anyone with poor TV reception will have noticed this as they went from watchable analog TV to picture-made-of-Duplos digital TV.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Nice audiophile t-shirt

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The loving positioning of the target light...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

spookygonk posted:

Nice audiophile t-shirt

Direct drive? Gross.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

I'm torn because they actually state response tolerance (good, doesn't happen enough) but it's so hilariously bad that they probably should've kept mum

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Those speakers sound decent, look decent and are a pretty low price, imho.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Panty Saluter posted:

I'm torn because they actually state response tolerance (good, doesn't happen enough) but it's so hilariously bad that they probably should've kept mum

I own these and enjoy them. They are a good quality for the price.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'm not saying they aren't decent (and indeed it may only be that off at the extremes), im just saying this was not the time to be honest

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Maybe they're sandbagging on their numbers to make their higher end models look better by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

taqueso posted:

I believe visual artifacts (similar to modern video compression artifacts) are also a failure mode of bad HDMI cables when the error correcting algorithm can’t keep up.

Regarding the cable discussion: Many years ago my local audio shop tried to sell me one of those $$$ Audioquest HDMI cables claiming the colors would be “more vibrant” with a more expensive cable.
I briefly argued with him about the way of a digital cable works but he insisted, despite being the owner of an ISF certified calibration shop.
That was the last time I visited that store and looking back also the point where I stopped spending any money on “home entertainment”. Thanks, guy! To my surprise they are still in business.