Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

I'm not saying never do teleport, or even that free locomotion is a solved problem, but some folks were actively suppressing any exploration afaict at the time. That is A Bad Thing when you don't yet know what works and what doesn't work, let alone have a good model on why.

Chet from Valve was really bad about that, insisting VR legs wasn't a thing that existed. I think later on he came around on that a bit, but he was pretty stubborn for awhile there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

VR is one of the most locally communal parts of PC gaming. Watching people fumble around in Pistol Whip while shouting directions at them is a lot of fun for a group, and people whom I've shown VR to before often ask me to turn it on if I host dinner parties or whatever at my house -- including people who are otherwise disinterested gaming or don't game beyond cell phone skinner boxes. A lot of that is novelty factor that will die off, but there are many opportunities for communal VR gaming without everyone needing to have a headset in the same space.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, Link is just treating the Quest like a 'dumb' peripheral where your computer is doing everything. The one kinda sorta thing is any PC games that also feature cross buy with the Quest you would need space if you want to use it on the quest away from your PC, but thats not really any different than any old quest game running locally. Most of the Quest games are fairly small, not sure if there are even any yet over 2gb in size

The bigger reason to have more space is if you want to store a lot of media on it, especially 3d movies or things like that.

There are several titles over 2gb. All Vaders are around 3-4gb, Robo recall is about 4gb. I've filled my 64, but I don't think the 128Gb is worth the $100 over the 64 unless you want to take movies with you and don't want to load them off your laptop.

Games will probably start to trend up from ~1gb each to 4+ gb each over the lifetime, but being able to delete and redownload (as long as you don't pirate) easily makes it not really worth it to go to 128Gb.

TLDR: 128Gb makes sense for pirates, people who want several movies, or if you will be disconnected from the internet for long periods of time.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
128gb might be nicer but it's not $100 nicer. I'm pretty sure that SKU is there to squeeze the people to whom money doesn't matter, as well as make the $400 one look like a better deal in comparison.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Re: re: re: Beat Saber

The song format is effectively open source

Some dude already wrote an entire beatsaber clone in WebVR/A-Frame, it's used as one of their showcase apps. WebVR/A-Frame is sponsored by Mozilla so it's not going anywhere any time soon. Since there's no multiplayer for beatsaber it doesn't matter if you play the official version or some clone, especially now since your dollars don't go in the developers pockets

https://supermedium.com/beatsaver-viewer/?id=22cc

Count down to free beatsaber clone being released on sidequest in 3-2-1...

https://moonrider.xyz already exists. It's open source and runs in WebVR. Unfortunately it, or webVR, or the Quest browser isn't perform ant enough so it drops frames and therefore is no nearly as fun to play.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Got my 10' Anker cable and that fixed the Link disconnecting/reconnecting issue I was seeing with my other cables. However, I wasn't getting any audio in the Quest at first and it took almost an hour to troubleshoot the problem. I've got a Sound Blaster ZxR with amplified headphone output and there's a switch in the software to toggle output between the headphone and speaker outputs and it has to be set to the speakers for Link audio to work (might also need to be set to stereo output as well).

So FYI if anyone has a similar setup.

e: After that fix it's working very smoothly, though I probably need to adjust my height in SteamVR, having trouble interacting with stuff on the ground in The Forest.

e2: Also this Anker cable is thick as poo poo, can't wait for the official cable to come out.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 27, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Stick100 posted:

https://moonrider.xyz already exists. It's open source and runs in WebVR. Unfortunately it, or webVR, or the Quest browser isn't perform ant enough so it drops frames and therefore is no nearly as fun to play.

That's a fair point. I wouldn't be surprised if someone publishes a free port using unreal or unity engine. Beatsaber probably has some custom hardware flags set by carmack himself but as engine performance improves a satisfying clone will emerge

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
I don't know why I expected the Index controllers to be in stock. Hopefully there will be more available soon.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I finally got around to trying Flotilla 2; it's very much exactly what it looks like, a bare-bones VR Homeworld.

There's a tech demoey feel to it - it wouldn't feel out of place in The Lab - but if you like Chris Foss spaceships and a hundred little space tactics puzzles sound fun to you then it seems like a decent buy for $5.

Fair warning, it does seem to have issues with non-Vive headsets. I was able to play the game fine with a Rift, but I couldn't get the editor to work and I had to mess around a bit to get audio.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Whole lotta steam VR games on sale right now!

Picked up Creed and Windlands 2 and Touring Karts

Too bad it looks like FedEx may have hosed me and rather than delivering the index today like planned, it won't get here till Friday. I have tomorrow off! You're killing me!

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
FedEx is pretty worthless. When delivering mine, their estimate kept waffling between a Monday and Tuesday, then they made a surprise delivery attempt to the wrong address on Sunday. At least, I assume they did because there was no door tag, and I was home when they claimed to have tried.

So, uh, pray I guess?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Thoom posted:

FedEx is pretty worthless. When delivering mine, their estimate kept waffling between a Monday and Tuesday, then they made a surprise delivery attempt to the wrong address on Sunday. At least, I assume they did because there was no door tag, and I was home when they claimed to have tried.

So, uh, pray I guess?

Fedex here, good chance they will deliver it late, and to the wrong house.

:(

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:crossarms:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50571010

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Fedex here, good chance they will deliver it late, and to the wrong house.

:(

I get most of my packages delivered to work because loving up business deliveries is serious poo poo and they’re less likely to do the whole fake delivery routine because of overly tight schedules.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I think I want a VR system for Christmas, but I'm kind of torn on what to get between a Rift S and Quest (I'd opt for an Index if I didn't have to gently caress around with base stations, but alas). A lot of online reviews say the S is redundant now that the Quest can connect to the PC, but I'm really only interested in using it tethered and it sounds like the S still offers a superior user experience in this regard. Should I just hold off until Valve refreshes the Index with inside out tracking?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They probably aren't going to do that, for a long while at least

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Almost Smart posted:

I think I want a VR system for Christmas, but I'm kind of torn on what to get between a Rift S and Quest (I'd opt for an Index if I didn't have to gently caress around with base stations, but alas). A lot of online reviews say the S is redundant now that the Quest can connect to the PC, but I'm really only interested in using it tethered and it sounds like the S still offers a superior user experience in this regard. Should I just hold off until Valve refreshes the Index with inside out tracking?

Lighthouse base stations arent really that big a deal; You set them up once and can then ignore them forever because all they do is plug into a power socket. It's not like the Rift where you have to deal with the logistics of running long USB cables back to your PC.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

beef saber

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thoom posted:

So, uh, pray I guess?

I got a "delivery attempted, nobody home" even though I was working from home specifically to make sure I didn't miss it. >_>

Dude never knocked on my front door.

I had to rush out to the FedEx center, not even the nearby one but the major one that's one town over. Took me an hour and a half to go pick it up and come home, but I HAVE IT. YES.

Impressions going from VIVE to Index coming soon. :)

E: drat you definitely get what you pay for. Everything feels insanely slick and well produced so far. The packaging is NICE. The products, even things like cables and straps just feels, well, expensive. Top notch.

The headset... I need to learn how to wear this thing though. It feels different than the VIVE for sure. Going from DK2 to VIVE was pretty similar head-strap wise, but this feels almost more like PSVR. Can't quite get it how I want but I'm probably missing something...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 28, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Almost Smart posted:

"loving around" with the Lighthouses means different things. Are you like, in an apartment or a really low hobbit hole or something? I installed my lighthouses once, in 2016 (I think? Long time ago) and haven't thought about them since.

"Oh you need these extra things to track the headset and controllers" and people think it's this huge ordeal where you need 50 ft high walls and a laser array or something, rather than a couple of boxes that sit in the upper corners of your room, plugged into a wall socket, alone. Inside out tracking is more convenient but it is objectively worse at tracking. There is a reason Index uses Lighthouses still.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zaphod42 posted:

I got a "delivery attempted, nobody home" even though I was working from home specifically to make sure I didn't miss it. >_>

I had to rush out to the FedEx center, not even the nearby one but the major one that's one town over. Took me an hour and a half to go pick it up and come home, but I HAVE IT. YES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ABjs0dFD8

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KakerMix posted:

"loving around" with the Lighthouses means different things. Are you like, in an apartment or a really low hobbit hole or something? I installed my lighthouses once, in 2016 (I think? Long time ago) and haven't thought about them since.

"Oh you need these extra things to track the headset and controllers" and people think it's this huge ordeal where you need 50 ft high walls and a laser array or something, rather than a couple of boxes that sit in the upper corners of your room, plugged into a wall socket, alone. Inside out tracking is more convenient but it is objectively worse at tracking. There is a reason Index uses Lighthouses still.

Lighthouse placement is also a lot more forgiving than the instructions make out. Ideally you do want them elevated and facing down to get as much of the gamespace as possible (and you can get a pair of light poles relatively easily to go this route), but you can get away with them sitting flat on a shelf or whatever so long as they're roughly chest-height and facing eachother.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:lol:

Ultimately I'm not mad because I did get it today. Had to call them 3 times and drive out to the middle of nowhere, but at least they gave me some option. Could have been worse.

(although when your job is to deliver things... not delivering is kinda... yeah)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 28, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lighthouse placement is also a lot more forgiving than the instructions make out. Ideally you do want them elevated and facing down to get as much of the gamespace as possible (and you can get a pair of light poles relatively easily to go this route), but you can get away with them sitting flat on a shelf or whatever so long as they're roughly chest-height and facing eachother.
I have one up on a wall facing down, the other is on a shelf slightly above hip height, because the relevant wall needs a jackhammer to put a hole into. I guess I should finally fix it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Index controllers are so nice :)

And man 120hz feels good, plus the extra resolution. I did a few songs of Beat Saber and a couple levels in Pistol Whip and I still feel pretty good. And reading text is so much more comfortable.

DK2 - hurts to read text
VIVE - can read text but blurry
Index - text looks clear

Everything feels real crisp

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The Odyssey+ is on sale right now for just $230 so I picked one up but the op says it sucks bad? Did I make a big mistake? Are all my friends gonna laugh at me come VR Game Night? Goons help me regret my purchase before it arrives

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zaphod42 posted:

Index controllers are so nice :)

And man 120hz feels good, plus the extra resolution. I did a few songs of Beat Saber and a couple levels in Pistol Whip and I still feel pretty good. And reading text is so much more comfortable.

DK2 - hurts to read text
VIVE - can read text but blurry
Index - text looks clear

Everything feels real crisp

I can legit work on my computer with Virtual Desktop and not be squinty and annoyed. It's good poo poo.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Unexpectedly observed how much better edge to edge clarity of Index lenses is, newest version of reVive allows you to visit your Oculus home, which was the only thing I sort of missed when I jumped ship. Load it up and was all wtf because the outer 1/3 of the fov are rendered way lower and have lots of shimmer and z fighting or some poo poo. Never noticed this in my cv1 because everything looks like that when you move your eyeball from the sweet spot :v:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Almost Smart posted:

They won't release an index with inside out, not this generation of it at least.

As far as rift vs. quest, purely hooked up to a PC, yes the Rift S has better image quality, better ergonomics, wider camera coverage, and an uncompressed signal. However, it has a fixed IPD (distance between your pupils), so if your measurement is significantly different from around 63.5mm, you could potentially have a less than optimal experience. The Quest on the other hand has an IPD adjustment so it can adjust to your measurement and this alone could make it the better choice depending on your body. The other potential is while you're only interested in tethered, you doooo still get the option of bringing it over to a friends, taking it on a plane, watching movies in bed or playing something in your living room if you ever felt like. Like, the option is there, and any games you pick up that have crossbuy you'll have the portable version as well by default, and thats not nothing since its the only device that exists right now where you can do that.

Still, if you aren't a hammerhead shark, and you have 0 interest in ever using a portable VR setup, then yeah, absolutely the rift S is the better device of the 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mobby_6kl posted:

Seriously mad at MS for this. Most of the headsets were pretty meh (though I'm very happy with the Odyssey) but instead of spending what is absolutely trivial amounts for them to iterate on it, they just... gave up? Really bizarre too because they could've established a great base with their corporate customers (such as our organization) as everyone is investigating VR stuff now, but instead they'll have to go to loving facebook to get up to date hardware.

The thing with Microsoft and VR is it was basically their market to lose; The headsets were in the hands of other companies to make, and they had console hardware that was fundamentally a Windows 10 box with native WMR compatibility under the hood. The actual effort involved should be relatively minimal on their part to establish a presence in the market, and they still hosed it up. The only thing they needed to really do was make better controllers.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The Odyssey+ is on sale right now for just $230 so I picked one up but the op says it sucks bad? Did I make a big mistake? Are all my friends gonna laugh at me come VR Game Night? Goons help me regret my purchase before it arrives

The Odysseys are probably the only semi-decent WMR headsets with (reputedly) decent displays and a mechanical IPD, but you're getting something that's functionally abandonware at this point. It's a fine entry point into VR for the price, but there are better options on the market. Also WMR controllers suck rear end.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 28, 2019

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Thats a really good price, and theres nothing wrong with the odyssey, its just not as good as a Rift S for $350 due to a much much smaller tracking area for the controllers due to only having 2 front cameras, worse controllers in general (ergonomics, button layout, etc), and the big question in the air of how much support microsoft is going to keep putting into WMR since it feels pretty dead.

It does have an adjustable IPD which the rift S lacks, which can be a deal breaker if you have very narrow or wide eyes, and it has a better built in audio solution, not to mention you're getting it for over $100 dollars less.

Its definitely the best of the WMR headsets by far, its just... lagging a bit in its ecosystem and older design.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

That all sounds livable, at least until the better headsets are on sale next week and I feel like a complete dingus. I was never gonna spend more than $200~ on a headset so as long as it's not a complete duffer I'll be fine.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tom Guycot posted:

Still, if you aren't a hammerhead shark, and you have 0 interest in ever using a portable VR setup, then yeah, absolutely the rift S is the better device of the 2.

Also worth noting that the Oculus approved cable for Quest Link is $80, so Quest for PC is effectively $480 and the Rift S is gonna be on sale for $350 on Black Friday.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tip posted:

Also worth noting that the Oculus approved cable for Quest Link is $80, so Quest for PC is effectively $480 and the Rift S is gonna be on sale for $350 on Black Friday.

Or you can buy the $12 anker cable which works just as well!

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lighthouse base stations arent really that big a deal; You set them up once and can then ignore them forever because all they do is plug into a power socket. It's not like the Rift where you have to deal with the logistics of running long USB cables back to your PC.

Yeah setup is not that hard. Even if you don't want to punch holes in your walls to use the included mounting brackets, you can use stuff like contractor poles, shower rods, or tripods to mount them wherever in proximity to a wall or surrounding your playspace. If you have bookshelves or other things to set them on at chest / head height in your playspace, you can also just use the included mounting bracket to set them on those and it works 99% fine that way too. In any case, once it's set up in your playspace, it's not like you have to fully set up and tear them down every time, you spend 15 minutes of navigating logistics and screwing, clamping, or setting in place and you're done.

The only actual problem I have with them is my VR / computer room is small enough that i'm never really more than 5ft away from one of my base stations, and when they're on, they emit an audible sound that's just loud enough to be heard over my computer fans. You can use power saving settings to force them to turn off whenever you don't have SteamVR open, but it adds a few seconds of friction to every first use of the day. It doesn't bother me to pop the headset on and stare at the "waking base stations" animation for 10~ seconds, but it is a layer of friction that could bother some people. Your time or a constant noise are your only real choices in this case, but if you are using a larger playspace or have more ambient noise in general, it could be a total non-issue, too. This is just generally something people don't seem to mention or talk about. Those little things are not silent.

Almost Smart posted:

It's really hard to say, even between these two. No one headset is going to be perfect for everyone's needs and it's probably going to come down to what matters more to you.

Points for Rift S:
- Lowest latency for PC use, which matters if your primary use is going to be playing PCVR games (oculus titles that don't work on the quest, any steamVR again)
- More comfortable strap solution, using a "halo" headband like the PSVR headset (which is also designed by lenovo). Comfort matters, if the headset starts feeling like it's pinching you or loading all the weight on one part of your face / skull you're not going to be able to play as long and will be less likely to put the headset back on and play a game later
- Full RGB LCD panel makes text crisp and reduces (but does not eliminate) screen door effect
- 80hz panel feels smoother relative to the quest panel
- Lower price (if you have a gaming PC)

Points against:
- Must tether to a PC. The wire can be annoying to some people or in some kinds of games.
- The LCD panel has visibly higher blacks than an OLED (which was the previous standard for VR headsets), this can make darker scenes or primarily dark games less immersive or enjoyable. Less "pop" in general since low contrast affects more than just the blacks. For whatever it's worth, plenty of people are happy with the Rift S and Index which both use LCD panels and both have similar contrast problems
- Fixed IPD of the lenses can make the headset uncomfortable or impossible to use if you fall outside of that range, or have an IPD that biases more towards one side of your face than the other
- the halo strap design is very comfortable, but it can make using certain kinds of headphones awkward or impossible. there's no real good way to measure or confirm something will work without just trying it, which can feel lovely if you like to use anything bigger than earbuds. Two over the ear pairs of headphones I wanted to use just didn't fit. I settled on a third which just barely manages to squeeze around the strap and still fit over my ears.

Points for Quest:
- Portable, play in any room without ever connecting to a PC
- OLED panels have significantly more contrast. To alleviate motion response issues, the panels are never truly full black since pentile OLED is slow to rise from full black, but the blacks will still be incredibly dark compared to an LCD. you probably wont even notice this and it'll feel effectively infinite anyway. This gives the image hugely better contrast and more "pop", which enhances color and clarity in more than just space / horror / dark games
- Adjustable, mechanical IPD lets more users enjoy higher clarity
- can connect to a PC using oculus link and certified cables to enjoy a PCVR experience with your primarily portable headset
- strap design is more likely to fit any random pair of headphones you own or reviews well online
- stupidly easy to pass this thing around and show off VR to your friends, standalone design and not needing a PC makes the software experience less finicky too, which matters for people that have never used VR before or don't do so frequently
-if you don't have a gaming PC, this is the lowest possible price you can pay to get into VR

Points against:
- As low as the latency is, because it's sending a compressed video signal over USB and doesn't actually connect using displayport or any other standard form similar to it, there is going to be encode / decode latency involved. This can matter for time sensitive games (like beat saber) or for comfort / motion sickness in certain kinds of games. This isn't really something that can be quantified or measured, you'd just have to try it and hope it doesn't bother you. If you've specifically purchased a certain monitor or TV because it had low "input lag", using the quest for PCVR might bother you. John Carmack has gone on the record as stating that generally if you have the choice between playing a native quest version of a title or tethering to a PC and playing the PCVR version on a quest, you should play the native quest version, specifically citing beat saber as an example. Lots of people seem happy with it regardless, your mileage may vary.
- the OLED panel is using a pentile array which gives a more visible "screen door" effect that they've largely tried to brute force with resolution, but it's still there. This bothers a lot of people and is contributing factor to why more VR headsets use LCD panels now. Even CV1 screen door effect never bothered me, but individual sensitivity varies (personally, my perfect headset would be a valve index that uses oled panels instead, since i'd gladly take the improved contrast even at the expense of some higher relative motion blur and increased screen door effect)
- extremely front loaded design, a common complaint is that it places a lot of pressure somewhere on the front of your face. People try to combat this by counterbalancing it with a battery or some other weight attached to the back, with varying degrees of success.
-if you want to use this thing on a PC, the quest does not come with everything you need in the box. There are compatible cables that aren't that expensive, but it's still an additional expense. $350 rift S vs $412+ quest, which is a price jump that matters if PCVR is your primary use case.
-72hz refresh rate compared to 80 of the rift s. If you never do an a/b test between the quest and a competing device this isn't likely to bother you, unless you're exceptionally sensitive to flicker

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Or you can buy the $12 anker cable which works just as well!

A 3 meter cable for wired VR is miserable. The original Rift came with a 4 meter cable and I needed to buy an extension just to be able to fully use my small playspace.

There's a reason the Rift S, Index, and Link cables are all at least 5 meters.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

point against the Quest: it's flat out not as comfortable as the Rift S. The Rift S has the Halo strap found in the PSVR and the Quest has a headstrap found in the OG Oculus Rift.

And look, I know you're supposed to pull it down to the base of your skull and it's just not long enough to do that. And speaking from CV1 experience, even when you do that it's still not as good as a halo strap. I really wish Oculus would release a halo strap for the Quest because this poo poo hurts my face after a while.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Honestly halo strap is preference. I hate it because it shifts a bunch when I'm playing more active games, and every time I put it on and take it off I need to crank/uncrank it, whereas with the Rift/Quest it stretches and pulls back into position, so I can just leave it and slide it on and off without any readjustments.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

E: drat you definitely get what you pay for. Everything feels insanely slick and well produced so far. The packaging is NICE. The products, even things like cables and straps just feels, well, expensive. Top notch.

The headset... I need to learn how to wear this thing though. It feels different than the VIVE for sure. Going from DK2 to VIVE was pretty similar head-strap wise, but this feels almost more like PSVR. Can't quite get it how I want but I'm probably missing something...

Had similar happen with a PC once. Guy said he delivered it face to face.

Nah, He delivered it to some porch 3 blocks over.

This is also why theres cameras now. I can straight email them a full video log of the time they say they deliver poo poo. FedEx is worthless.

USPS around here though? Holy poo poo fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AndrewP posted:

point against the Quest: it's flat out not as comfortable as the Rift S. The Rift S has the Halo strap found in the PSVR and the Quest has a headstrap found in the OG Oculus Rift.

And look, I know you're supposed to pull it down to the base of your skull and it's just not long enough to do that. And speaking from CV1 experience, even when you do that it's still not as good as a halo strap. I really wish Oculus would release a halo strap for the Quest because this poo poo hurts my face after a while.

Halo Straps are terrible in my experience with the PSVR. It never seats perfectly, and I always feel like I need to tilt it a little every which way to find a place that it's merely acceptable. With a ratcheted back-clamp like the Deluxe Audio Strap on the Vive it just locks into place perfectly first time, every time.