Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Im loving all the queer wrestling fans coming out to support each other. :rory:

Would there be interest in a general LGBT Wrestling thread for discussion about queer wrestlers, queer characters, being a queer wrestling fan, etc? I was thinking of writing an OP.

Should I ask in the general thread?

I couldn't get this thread idea out of my head and since I didn't see it pop up I said gently caress it :justpost:

If a better effort thread comes after this and people migrate there I'll kill this but till then here we go.

LGBT wrestling fans, come and hang out. Talk about what makes you a fan of this wacky sport, stories you have of bonding with others or any hardships you've had to deal with. Also our unique take on some of the aspects of wrestling that haven't been inclusive to us.

But most importantly, I want this to be a place of support and love!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hi hello my family fuckin hated AEW when I flipped to it on TV (nobody else was using it). Im they told me it was awful and wouldnt shut up about it but jokes on them I had fun anyway. Also Im banned from seeing my relatives ever again and I dont care cause they sucked anyway so gently caress em haha. Not bitter.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Hi hello my family fuckin hated AEW when I flipped to it on TV (nobody else was using it). Im they told me it was awful and wouldnt shut up about it but jokes on them I had fun anyway. Also Im banned from seeing my relatives ever again and I dont care cause they sucked anyway so gently caress em haha. Not bitter.

At this point I've given up trying to make people get wrestling. Either they see it and they get it right away, or they see it and don't understand why anyone would like it. And you know what, I'd say keeping people out of your life that make you feel bad is a good thing. Family or not, you don't deserve to be brought down while trying to enjoy something you like that isn't hurting anyone.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I like it when the almost naked men rub eachother and the faster they rub eachother the more excited about the match I get until I can't take it anymore and start chanting CM Punk

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this is to be a completely troll-free zone. not "free to troll", neither. i am not currently making any accusations but would like to make it clear before any issues arise. enjoy the thread, everyone.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
ahem

im gay

and wrestling is gay

and thats good

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The friends I met through wrestling, and through this forum particularly, are among the most tolerant people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing and were invaluable during the process of realizing I'm bi and nonbinary, and that rules.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

im bi, a wrestler (in training) and wrestling is the gayest thing on the planet.

also lol if you dont think that kenny and ibushi were loving on the daily.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

ItohRespectArmy posted:

im bi, a wrestler (in training) and wrestling is the gayest thing on the planet.

also lol if you dont think that kenny and ibushi were loving on the daily.

Those two were making love and no one can convince me otherwise.

In case ya'll don't know about me, the general thread is where with the help of my friends I came out as trans/gender fluid. My wife accepted and still loves me so woo I'm gay now.

And wrestling is super gay and it's great. It's like when Batman and Catwoman fuckfight on a rooftop.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
i only posted in the fabgoons thread in e/n for a bit about this a few years ago, when i was in a real dour place, because media even as far as a decade ago still treated bisexuality as either "greedy" or as "just curious" and well, in wrestling, it was just ULTRA flamboyant characters or just heelish figures that you aren't supposed to like, so it kind of sucks.

I think wrestling in "mainstream" has a long way to go, it seems the closest i felt accepted was Finn Balor's entrance at Wrestlemania, but it fell flat afterwards, but the indie circuits have been fantastic, and you have your characters like Effy or your Sonny Kiss that gives everybody what they want.

Kenny Omega is great, I am glad a nerdy bi dude like Kenny Omega is one of the faces of modern wrestling, and one that i can really enjoy, and am glad a thing like AEW exists, because it's giving me the things I enjoy about 90s Wrestling (Tony, JR), the things I enjoy about indies (Excalibur, Young Bucks, Best Friends) and booking that doesn't make me feel stupid watching.

Still single, still :smith: sometimes, but hey, we have all been there.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I guess for a less shitposty post, nyla Rose's mere existence, and place of relative prominence on a nationally televised wrestling program, makes me wanna cry regularly. as a trans woman who spent a lot of her earlier life ashamed and scared of who I was, to the point of a decade+ of repression and a real dire drinking problem that would've led to serious consequences if i let myself keep destroying myself, to see someone who's had some of the same shared experiences as me shown as, yknow, one of the girls - and a huge badass one at that - has been amazing. my true life only just began this year, and seeing nyla go from "oh rad theres a trans woman who works in joshi" to "oh gently caress yes shes on cable tv" has been thrilling. it hardly makes up for the lifetime of seeing trans women only represented as jokes, sex workers, or outright villains in media, but it's a welcome breath of fresh air, and I cant help but admire her for not only what shes accomplished, but in persevering with the mountains of bullshit she has to put up with as an open trans woman in a field with some ah, less than progressive fan circles.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Spikegal posted:

At this point I've given up trying to make people get wrestling. Either they see it and they get it right away, or they see it and don't understand why anyone would like it. And you know what, I'd say keeping people out of your life that make you feel bad is a good thing. Family or not, you don't deserve to be brought down while trying to enjoy something you like that isn't hurting anyone.

Not even showing it to them, I just felt like hanging out so I watched it in the same room as them. Their loss :shrug:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I want to go to Hoodslam, the coolest & gayest wrestleshow on the planet.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

TelevisedInsanity posted:

i only posted in the fabgoons thread in e/n for a bit about this a few years ago, when i was in a real dour place, because media even as far as a decade ago still treated bisexuality as either "greedy" or as "just curious" and well, in wrestling, it was just ULTRA flamboyant characters or just heelish figures that you aren't supposed to like, so it kind of sucks.

I think wrestling in "mainstream" has a long way to go, it seems the closest i felt accepted was Finn Balor's entrance at Wrestlemania, but it fell flat afterwards, but the indie circuits have been fantastic, and you have your characters like Effy or your Sonny Kiss that gives everybody what they want.

Kenny Omega is great, I am glad a nerdy bi dude like Kenny Omega is one of the faces of modern wrestling, and one that i can really enjoy, and am glad a thing like AEW exists, because it's giving me the things I enjoy about 90s Wrestling (Tony, JR), the things I enjoy about indies (Excalibur, Young Bucks, Best Friends) and booking that doesn't make me feel stupid watching.

Still single, still :smith: sometimes, but hey, we have all been there.

Those old fabgoons threads loving sucked, I was literally told in one that I "should just post elsewhere until you decide" even though I've been out since I was like 17. I dunno why that one really small shitpost pissed me off so bad. If I could have reached through my monitor and socked him I would have.

Anyway as you've already guessed, it's me, The Mad Bi. I get mad a lot online, and also real life. I used to be one of those former punk scofflaws, with a typical acting-out anger. As is the way of such things I've had a lot of concussions so my brains are a little Danial-Bryan-y, so if I say dumb poo poo please tell me immediately.

My favorite wrestler is Kenny Omega because he is going to be the next GOAT when Ric Flair's deal with devil expires, and he flops off this mortal coil (excellent selling, what a worker, good to see a big heel get his comeuppance, ***** - Dave Meltzer).

AEW is my extreme poo poo and me and my boyfriend never miss a chance to chug alcohol, eat pizza, and watch extremely hot barely clothed individuals destroy each others lifespans. Kenny is also the hottest, this is canon, and I will internet bully you mercilessly should you be foolish enough not to accept this truth.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Those old fabgoons threads loving sucked, I was literally told in one that I "should just post elsewhere until you decide" even though I've been out since I was like 17. I dunno why that one really small shitpost pissed me off so bad. If I could have reached through my monitor and socked him I would have.

Anyway as you've already guessed, it's me, The Mad Bi. I get mad a lot online, and also real life. I used to be one of those former punk scofflaws, with a typical acting-out anger. As is the way of such things I've had a lot of concussions so my brains are a little Danial-Bryan-y, so if I say dumb poo poo please tell me immediately.

My favorite wrestler is Kenny Omega because he is going to be the next GOAT when Ric Flair's deal with devil expires, and he flops off this mortal coil (excellent selling, what a worker, good to see a big heel get his comeuppance, ***** - Dave Meltzer).

AEW is my extreme poo poo and me and my boyfriend never miss a chance to chug alcohol, eat pizza, and watch extremely hot barely clothed individuals destroy each others lifespans. Kenny is also the hottest, this is canon, and I will internet bully you mercilessly should you be foolish enough not to accept this truth.

I'd totally look like Kenny Omega, yknow, if i shaved my chest...and also was Kenny Omega.

But we're both bi so that counts, i think? idk i'm exhausted from thanksgiving prep for my wife and her family
sidenote: can i still be bi even if i married a woman?

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Don't be a jerk my friend

haunted bong posted:

Of course.

Has Finn Balor ever been confirmed as Bi? Or is he an ally?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

haunted bong posted:

Absolutely you can

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thank you so much for this thread

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I'm so glad a thread like this exists. I do love wrestling, but I don't really follow it as much hardcore. Not as easy to watch AEW live from the UK and such.

So I mostly got into wrestling from the Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth game. I lived in Indonesia, so getting access to wrestling wasn't the easiest. I did manage to catch TNA and was a fan of AJ Styles at the time but apart from the occasional Smackdown vs. Raw games, I haven't really been following wrestling until the last few years.

A lot of my ability to be into the wrestling scene is through Rowdy Ringsports and I mostly lurk, but I still do enjoy watching good wrestling and am glad spaces like this exist.

I dunno if this is a controversial topic, but what are people's thoughts about characters who flaunt their sexuality like Sonny Kiss? I think it's awesome to have characters like that out there in the wrestling space that is generally dominated by masculine portrayals be given representation and embraced, but I can see people having an issue with it being seen as a caricature of LGBT people.

Also, wrestling is totally super gay.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I got into wrestling because of my grandma. We spent the weekend at her place once a month so that meant she would buy WWF ppvs and we would watch together. I have since branched out to everything under the sun.

I first realized I was bi when I was watching Escape from New York.

I Before E posted:

The friends I met through wrestling, and through this forum particularly, are among the most tolerant people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing and were invaluable during the process of realizing I'm bi and nonbinary, and that rules.

also this. 100% had tons of fun hanging out over skype/discord and also meeting some of you at events.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Thank you so much for this thread

You're welcome. And personally thank you so much for all your support.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

jimmydalad posted:

I'm so glad a thread like this exists. I do love wrestling, but I don't really follow it as much hardcore. Not as easy to watch AEW live from the UK and such.

So I mostly got into wrestling from the Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth game. I lived in Indonesia, so getting access to wrestling wasn't the easiest. I did manage to catch TNA and was a fan of AJ Styles at the time but apart from the occasional Smackdown vs. Raw games, I haven't really been following wrestling until the last few years.

A lot of my ability to be into the wrestling scene is through Rowdy Ringsports and I mostly lurk, but I still do enjoy watching good wrestling and am glad spaces like this exist.

I dunno if this is a controversial topic, but what are people's thoughts about characters who flaunt their sexuality like Sonny Kiss? I think it's awesome to have characters like that out there in the wrestling space that is generally dominated by masculine portrayals be given representation and embraced, but I can see people having an issue with it being seen as a caricature of LGBT people.

I think as long as Sonny Kiss is absolutely the creative force behind his gimmick, then it shouldn't matter. If Sonny, or anyone, is being forced to "Queer it up" for heat/an angle/etc, then it's problematic, but imho the best wrestling personalities are the person themselves, just amped to 1000%*

*does not apply to Jake Hagar or Jim Cornette

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

jimmydalad posted:

For me it depends on the intent of the character. Is it to make fun? Is it to celebrate? Context is key. Sonny Kiss = great. Orlando Jordan in TNA = bad.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
cool thread, I like that wrestling is in a much better place than it used to be regarding these issues

I've had several friends who don't know anything about wrestling and do not watch wrestling and a few who have never ever watched wrestling ask me about Nyla Rose

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Spikegal posted:

Sonny Kiss = great. Orlando Jordan in TNA = bad.

enough about their wrestling ability though

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Ad by Khad posted:

I've had several friends who don't know anything about wrestling and do not watch wrestling and a few who have never ever watched wrestling ask me about Nyla Rose

Your pals have good taste

Im torn on the way that AEW have been presenting her: admittedly shes not really been on TV since the title match but theres something strange about presenting the first openly trans person on a big American wrestling TV show as a heel - I dont think its transphobic as much as them looking for a monster heel and shes the best person they have for that role. All I know is that in her run with Marvelous in Japan (worth seeking out some of those Japanese matches if you like Nyla) she was presented as the nice pal of Mio Momono, almost like a babyface heavy type thing, and she suited that role a lot more because shes a very likeable person.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I want to go to Hoodslam, the coolest & gayest wrestleshow on the planet.

it is extremely cool and extremely gay.

hoodslam loving rules

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I Before E posted:

Sticky Nate posted:

I got into wrestling because of my grandma. We spent the weekend at her place once a month so that meant she would buy WWF ppvs and we would watch together. I have since branched out to everything under the sun.

I first realized I was bi when I was watching Escape from New York.

also this. 100% had tons of fun hanging out over skype/discord and also meeting some of you at events.

Love you two. Our Twitter family means the world to me.

I'm bi and I love Samoa Joe vs. Necro Butcher from IWA Mid-South

https://youtu.be/mMU5S9VHhJM

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

I'd fuckin kill to go to Hoodslam

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Kenny Omega is great, I am glad a nerdy bi dude like Kenny Omega is one of the faces of modern wrestling

Is he openly bi as a person or is his wrestling character bi? Or does it even matter?

Would be cool if there were any interviews out there where he talks about that sorta thing but idk where they'd be

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Is he openly bi as a person or is his wrestling character bi? Or does it even matter?

Would be cool if there were any interviews out there where he talks about that sorta thing but idk where they'd be

It's been confirmed multiple times that Kenny is extremely bi

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I thought he and Ibushi were dating at some point?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, they most likely were. I'd say Kenny being bi is an incredibly open secret. He's never come out and said "I'll Kenny Omega and I'm Bi" but he's said everything but.

Also Kenny and Kota is the greatest love story in wrestling and every other storytelling medium.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I thought he and Ibushi were dating at some point?

They've been off again on again for years now. Kenny moved to Japan solely to work with him after watching a bonkers Kota streetfight match from DDT. They're clearly very much in love but work and Bad Evil Bushiroad are currently keeping them apart.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

They've been off again on again for years now. Kenny moved to Japan solely to work with him after watching a bonkers Kota streetfight match from DDT. They're clearly very much in love but work and Bad Evil Bushiroad are currently keeping them apart.

I dunno this sounds a lot like it's just the wrestling storyline to me. It wouldn't shock me if they were actually dating for-realsies at any point, but I don't think whatever is between them is the same as what you see in the ring

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Anyway here's a Hoodslam wrestler who announced that they're on HRT and this video is v heartwarming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlGpF64ugPk

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I dunno this sounds a lot like it's just the wrestling storyline to me. It wouldn't shock me if they were actually dating for-realsies at any point, but I don't think whatever is between them is the same as what you see in the ring

Kenny broke down in tears at a Q&A that he didnt know was being filmed when someone asked why Kota wasn't in AEW and Kenny said he didn't ask because he knew Kota would say yes and he didn't want Kota to give up his dream of becoming IWGP Champ.

No way it's a shoot.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Don't watch that video if you don't want to cry in public, if Kenny is acting he's a much better actor than he appears to be everywhere else.

IceAgeComing posted:

I’m torn on the way that AEW have been presenting her: admittedly she’s not really been on TV since the title match but there’s something strange about presenting the first openly trans person on a big American wrestling TV show as a heel - I don’t think it’s transphobic as much as them looking for a monster heel and shes the best person they have for that role.
Yeah, I really wish she was face and set up as the opposite to Brandi's use of Awesome Kong, saving Riho or something.

I think a lot of decisions about their women's division are kinda screwed up from visa issues and Kylie Rae though, so maybe there's still time to fix that.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I hope they keep doing the Nyla/Leva Bates tag team where Nyla just wrestles by herself and Leva leeches off easy wins :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When I was younger I was so starved for any sort of gay or bi representation in wrestling that I would get excited to see Rico and the Christopher Street Connection

Its great to have people like Sonny Kiss and Kenny Omega now is what Im saying. Although honestly Id hoped there would be a lot more out pro wrestlers at this point in time. Same with MMA and Boxing really