Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Neutral drops will now always drop only 3 items per tier, rather than having a chance to get more
Neutral drops no longer have an end period in terms of when they can drop, just a start period (now 5/15/25/40/70). Higher tier items will always roll first
Neutral drop rate changed from 10/5/2.5/1.25/etc to 9/6/3

Still think Imp claw needs another nerf but with the drop changes and the nerfs it otherwise looks pretty good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
They mostly murdered the right items for sure

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
SNAPFIRE
Increased base armor by 2
Increased strength gain from 2.3 to 3.3

:popeye::gabenpop::eyepop:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think Snapfire is going to be a terror once people get used to her

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Snapfire is now busted and owns

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
lol like a day later and neutral items get severely ratched down.

I think the biggest problem is how lopsided they can be if one team gets good ones and the other doesn't.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Cuntellectual posted:

lol like a day later and neutral items get severely ratched down.

I think the biggest problem is how lopsided they can be if one team gets good ones and the other doesn't.

Impressive how such a short post can contradict itself so succinctly.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

is that a contradiction??

they got ratcheted down but they can still skew a game ridiculously

Like having a core with a titan sliver for example, versus your core... well not having one

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ILL Machina posted:

Impressive how such a short post can contradict itself so succinctly.

Yeah, it's not like nerfing some extremely powerful items but not all of them can make things more skewed. :rolleyes:

Ambivalent posted:

Like having a core with a titan sliver for example, versus your core... well not having one

Like, one team getting Philosopher's Stone, Imp Claw and Pupil's Gift vs. the other team getting Vambrace Aquilla Nether Shawl is an utterly insane tip in balance.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 28, 2019

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

LGD eliminated by FTD Apollo in open qualifiers LMAO.

Not cheese, just a bad understanding of the patch and runaway lanes. For a while they were pulling it back together and were winning teamfights while 10k down, but a few mistakes and it got away from them.

Edit: Ro16, bo1. I think it was the last of the bo1 matches too.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 28, 2019

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

VP about to play Hellraisers on BTS2, some SEA games on BTS1.

Where was the LGD vs. FTD game?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Bkop streamed it.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

RRQ is doing the support naix, which looks absolutely absurd in pubs that I saw...

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yeah support Naix and Void Spirit are the two things that seem just busted atm, and only one of them is in captain's mode.

Edit: I just tuned in, doesn't seem to be working here. Not sure how it got there.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 28, 2019

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

VP has an Alch with a shovel digging up Bounty Runes, and a Leshrac with Vampire Fangs for spell vamp

Hellraisers got a Mango Tree and an Ocean Heart.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 28, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Neutral drops sounds like a random draw from a shared unbalanced deck of cards, and that's usually a really bad thing to do in a strategy game.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

What if both teams got the same item drops, and they got to see what those items would be before drafting? It would still be random when they end up finding each one, so there's still that added incentive to control the jungle.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Make the neutral items drop on death, old Korean mmo style

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Ambivalent posted:

the random items are such a disaster. even ignoring the broken late game stuff like you mentioned, any hero who is good at clearing jungle in the early game is probably going to find a stat item, so suddenly that squishy agi carry that you need to gank has a bunch of extra health at no cost to them

i get the idea of trying to turn jungles into an objective to fight over, but in practice it's just a bunch of individual power spikes that nobody really has any agency over

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Counterpoint: They are fun

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have no strong feelings on the items because I'm not dumb enough to actually play dota and we haven't seen their effect on pro games yet.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I just want to see a program where a team 10k gold/exp behind suddenly find like 4 neutral items back to back and then steamrolls back with a sudden and insurmountable advantage due to rng

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

This is a bad argument because things that are balanced can also be fun, but badly designed things that are fun can ruin competitiveness.

Winning isn't and ought not to be everything, but that doesn't mean random unbalanced chaos is good.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The items are probably a super negative if you are playing dota at an organised level but i just mostly get high and hit creeps :shrug:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

glad the game that's been popular for the last 15 years finally found a way to be fun

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

little munchkin posted:

glad the game that's been popular for the last 15 years finally found a way to be fun

Considering it's dota then it's definitely the first time that has happened

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The items are probably a super negative if you are playing dota at an organised level but i just mostly get high and hit creeps :shrug:

Yep this is exactly the same argument as "how can Munchkin be a bad game, I have fun playing it drunk with my friends".

I'm not insulting you btw, just that argument pops up in the boardgame thread a lot and it's...it's bad.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

silvergoose posted:

Yep this is exactly the same argument as "how can Munchkin be a bad game, I have fun playing it drunk with my friends".

I'm not insulting you btw, just that argument pops up in the boardgame thread a lot and it's...it's bad.

Its an absolutely fair comment. Every single time i play dota I'm high as gently caress playing with a good friend. Playing without both sounds miserable.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

what dota games have you been playing that weren't decided by RNG in some form or another? This is just replacing some RNG with some different RNG

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its RNG you can't see coming. Like yeah Chaos Knight has RNG but its fundamental tp his design. Runes are RNG but you know when and where they can become a factor

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

if an enemy comes out of the jungle with a specific item you know when and where that can become a factor too though surely, and can plan around it. i mean if you unload a shitload of spells onto someone and they survive with 1hp that's not RNG but it's "luck" that they survive, and missing/getting a kill on a core can have a huge effect on a game.

I guess I just don't see why this is seen as RNG rather than a meta change.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

NtotheTC posted:

I guess I just don't see why this is seen as RNG rather than a meta change.

Its the part where the items are Random.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Bashes are RNG, uphill is RNG, neut spawns are already RNG. Every big patch every year ruins the game and yet somehow by the grace of God we still are here.

Like disagreeing with the change is fine if you want but calling it a disaster for the game is hyperbolic bullshit

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its the part where the items are Random.

then change ogre and CK and bash and proc chance % like WoW did years ago to remove "rng" and then it turned out oh this is boring as poo poo let's add a bunch back in.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Bashes are RNG, uphill is RNG, neut spawns are already RNG. Every big patch every year ruins the game and yet somehow by the grace of God we still are here.

Like disagreeing with the change is fine if you want but calling it a disaster for the game is hyperbolic bullshit

This thread has been (surprisingly) chill about the changes

NtotheTC posted:

then change ogre and CK and bash and proc chance % like WoW did years ago to remove "rng" and then it turned out oh this is boring as poo poo let's add a bunch back in.

You mean how they've been replacing ability rng for pseudo-rng over the past year or two? :v:

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 28, 2019

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
rip loa gang die dota

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Arzachel posted:

You mean how they've been replacing ability rng for pseudo-rng over the past year or two? :v:

No I meant 7+ years ago when they did it. are they really repeating the same cycle again? jesus

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

the only downside to this patch is that I don't have a stack to play with and finding an english-speaking team is rare. Need context/chat wheel ways to communicate to the CK that he probably shouldn't be using the +armor -attack speed item drop and to give it to a support

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

NtotheTC posted:

No I meant 7+ years ago when they did it. are they really repeating the same cycle again? jesus

I meant Dota 2, I think Spirit Breaker's bash was one of the last abilities that had true rng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
I think its alpha wolf crit actually