Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's good to see Johnny Cage is still the coolest character in the game. :)

I got to his part of an all-brutalities video and they're genuinely funny. He uses a boom mic, stunt double, and Oscar in his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Is coming home from work every day to a crew family who loves you a little thing? Because it never gets old.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

After 40 hours of Death Stranding I finally died to a BT and voided out. What happens is... cataclysmic :stare:

(non story spoiler)

You blow a gigantic mile wide crater in the map that doesn't go away.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Necrothatcher posted:

After 40 hours of Death Stranding I finally died to a BT and voided out. What happens is... cataclysmic :stare:

(non story spoiler)

You blow a gigantic mile wide crater in the map that doesn't go away.

It's why you get grabbed and dragged to a specific spot in the BT-filled area; So if a Voidout triggers it's somewhere that won't actually wreck the map.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

John Woo's Stranglehold has been released on GOG and I really appreciate how you're just Chow Yun Fat doing John Woo things. It's also way too amusing to shoot people in the balls in slow mo

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I watched my brother play that and loved the line "Tequila! Half of stilt city is in ruins and the other half is on fire! What the hell is going on over there!?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Prince of Persia: Warrior Within I really like the Daharka chases, they are pretty fun. I also like little bits of enemy dialog that imply that they have lives outside of the player, like one guy who says to his colleague as the fight starts "Pay attention, I have much to teach you..." The Empress has some new recruits that are being trained. :3:. And I am killing them all... I'm also fast approaching the really neat part where you have to stop yourself killing the Empress of Time by racing yourself to her. I like that idea.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Warrior Within was so bad but also better than the reception would lead you to believe. There's parts of it that work really well. The combats better, the platforming is just as good and there's good setpieces it's just...the mid-00s angst is so bad.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Warrior Within was so bad but also better than the reception would lead you to believe. There's parts of it that work really well. The combats better, the platforming is just as good and there's good setpieces it's just...the mid-00s angst is so bad.

THose weird courtesan assassins. "Ohh~ There is so much pleasure in pain!" They are a little funny, if only in hindsight because of how much of a time capsule of "This game came out in the 2000s" it was. It's been helping that early on there were parts, especially in the Mechanical Tower, where you can just start platforming away from the enemies if you know where to go. Also the concept Art chests are fun to look for, and the environmental design works well too.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
My favorite part of Fallen Order right now is hanging out out-of-sight of the stormtroopers and listening to them bitch about their work conditions.

"I hate this planet. It's cold and wet."
"Don't forget the aggressive wildlife. Did you see that huge thing?"
"Yeah. I'm not worried. I've got a plan."
"What's your plan?"
"You hold it off. I'll run."

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
The map in Fallen Order is very well done. It's 3D, fully rotatable and lets you highlight specific levels of elevation to see where you need to go. In addition to that, it will also clearly mark where you can and can't go. Plus, once you unlock a new travel mechanic, the map will change so the area that was locked off (marked in red) will now show up as available and unexplored(Yellow).

It's a little thing but it works so well that I hope other people steal it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

The map in Fallen Order is very well done. It's 3D, fully rotatable and lets you highlight specific levels of elevation to see where you need to go. In addition to that, it will also clearly mark where you can and can't go. Plus, once you unlock a new travel mechanic, the map will change so the area that was locked off (marked in red) will now show up as available and unexplored(Yellow).

It's great, but one thing I wish it had was a better waypoint/path option. With how long and winding some of the maps are, and with branching paths that might only be usable in one direction, I spent a fair amount of time wandering the wrong way when I was revisiting areas. It wouldn't be so bad if there were a few fast travel points, one or the other would've made it pretty much perfect.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Testekill posted:

It's also way too amusing to shoot people in the balls in slow mo

Well you would think that

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

CzarChasm posted:

Metroid Prime's maps were really well done ,especially for an early 2000's game. I haven't played Fallen Order yet, and I assume those are better since it's been 15/16 years, but the ones in MP were rotatable, zoomable, you could see what color the doors were (i.e. what beam was needed to open them) etc...

And also, the music when you fought the Chorizo Ghosts was :krad:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

And also, the music when you fought the Chorizo Ghosts was :krad:

this is true, but I’m really frustrated that there has to be some kind of chicken/chozo/chorizo joke in here but nothing’s coming to mind

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
In Fallen Order if you are looking at your map and an animal starts to attack you BD will make a sound to warn you

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just figured I'd check out an old PS1 platformer that I've barely touched, Jinx, to see how it was. It's not bad. The puzzles have been fairly simple but I've only beaten the first of 6 worlds so far so they may get more involved later, however the worlds themselves are fairly interesting with intertwining obstacles to overcome. It also does an interesting thing where instead of taking you back to the hub world between levels, it only does that between worlds. The levels are all directly connected to one another within the world so you reach the exit door, and save, and then your in the next level. It helps the world feel coherent overall. Also the controls work well enough for a PS1 game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Exit Strategy posted:

My favorite part of Fallen Order right now is hanging out out-of-sight of the stormtroopers and listening to them bitch about their work conditions.

"I hate this planet. It's cold and wet."
"Don't forget the aggressive wildlife. Did you see that huge thing?"
"Yeah. I'm not worried. I've got a plan."
"What's your plan?"
"You hold it off. I'll run."

All the stormtrooper dialogue is really good but it leads to a weird thing where the hapless nameless guys you’re remorselessly massacring by the dozens are more likable than the bland protagonists. I just got one where a stormtrooper was giving marksmanship advice to his squad (just lead them, you’ll hit em every time) because when he grew up on Utapau there wasn’t anything to do other than get really good at sniping rock-vultures

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I remember No One Lives Forever 2 being the first game I felt sorry for shooting the enemies because they'd have nice chats about their lives while I was hanging around

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jedi Fallen Order also has reactive Stormtrooper dialog during fights. They'll make comments about how the fight is going, if you're winning or losing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I forget the name of it but there was an Xbox era game where you played an amnesiac dude with psychic powers and the first guard you see and sneak attack was at a pc. You can then interact with it and he was talking to his wife or girlfriend or whatever on Not-AIM and she sends a few messages after like “hey, stuff ok, you stopped talking all the sudden?”

I think it’s the first time my dumb teen self was like “oh poo poo these characters can be actual people instead of just goldeneye golems” and I actually could not play the game anymore despite having been super hype to rent it :(

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

I forget the name of it but there was an Xbox era game where you played an amnesiac dude with psychic powers and the first guard you see and sneak attack was at a pc. You can then interact with it and he was talking to his wife or girlfriend or whatever on Not-AIM and she sends a few messages after like “hey, stuff ok, you stopped talking all the sudden?”

I think it’s the first time my dumb teen self was like “oh poo poo these characters can be actual people instead of just goldeneye golems” and I actually could not play the game anymore despite having been super hype to rent it :(

psi-ops?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

It was the one where you ARENT a gruff soldier guy so whatever that one was :thunk:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Second Sight

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Psiops was the one where you were a gruff soldier man exploding brains with your psychokinetic powers.
It ruled.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Jedi Fallen Order also has reactive Stormtrooper dialog during fights. They'll make comments about how the fight is going, if you're winning or losing.

My favorite one was when I hosed up several parries in a row, letting a trooper get in a full combo, and he shouted "I'm actually winning!"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Crowetron posted:

My favorite one was when I hosed up several parries in a row, letting a trooper get in a full combo, and he shouted "I'm actually winning!"

That one's great. I forget if I mentioned it here or in the main thread but I also like the turn from confident bravado to uncertain "uh, should we be doing this?" if you really suck at an encounter.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The line that's like "I hit him! :haw: ... :gonk: why did I do that?! " when they get a lucky hit on you is one of my favourites

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

If they don’t have a DLC or spinoff where you play as the Second Sister and the stormtroopers are on your side I’m going to be pissed

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

If they don’t have a DLC or spinoff where you play as the Second Sister and the stormtroopers are on your side I’m going to be pissed

That could be great, but it'd be an awfully weird fit if your main job is basically hunting down and killing/kidnapping goodguys.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

That could be great, but it'd be an awfully weird fit if your main job is basically hunting down and killing/kidnapping goodguys.

Yeah but consider this: bad guys are cool, and good guys are dumb.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Yeah but consider this: bad guys are cool, and good guys are dumb.

That's true, I--Wait a minute! Is this some sort of dark side trap?!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bad guys are extra loving dumb but they can coast for a while on how sweet their uniforms look

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phy posted:

Bad guys are extra loving dumb but they can coast for a while on how sweet their uniforms look

The game definitely needs an unlockable version of Cal in the Imperial uniform from the vision he has late in the game.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah it was this one :hmmyes:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Icedude posted:

The line that's like "I hit him! :haw: ... :gonk: why did I do that?! " when they get a lucky hit on you is one of my favourites

Wasn't there one game, maybe a Rocksteady batman game, where the last guy in a fight if he's swinging at you, suddenly just goes "I'm going to regret this..." as his attack carries through?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah it was this one :hmmyes:

I always remember those two games because they had a Olympus Has Fallen/White House Down thing going on, they came out only a few months apart.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Phy posted:

Is that what happened in World War 2?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly, I had in mind some posts that forums user Cessna wrote in a now closed Milhist thread - starting about halfway down the first page of just their posts - regarding how loving dumb the nazis were about their uniforms

E: I just realized my link didn't work on the awful app. Phone posters, just, um, try finding one of cessna's posts in the first couple pages, then long press his name and show only his posts.

Phy has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Nov 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

Honestly, I had in mind some posts that forums user Cessna wrote in a now closed Milhist thread - starting about halfway down the first page of just their posts - regarding how loving dumb the nazis were about their uniforms

Artisinal, handmade helmets with custom decals painted on, and the liners for a small helmet can't be used for a medium helmet, then it gets worse. It's quite a ride.