Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I haven't really had a vr experience that has wowed me like that little robot oculus demo, vr racing the thing that I bought it for, is just kind of all right for me, not nearly the game changer I was hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I haven't really had a vr experience that has wowed me like that little robot oculus demo, vr racing the thing that I bought it for, is just kind of all right for me, not nearly the game changer I was hoping for.

Hopefully we'll see Eye of the Temple soon. That'll be your next "Wow!" moment.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/589940/Eye_of_the_Temple/

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Or you can buy the $12 anker cable which works just as well!

I have one, it's very thick, heavy and inflexible and 5' shorter than the official cable. It works, but for it to be usable I have to be facing away from my PC, even with it connected on a front port for maximum reach.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Are you sure about that? Maybe it was a game changer without you knowing? I recently tried to go back to 2d racing and it was nearly impossible

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Any expected quest deals for BF? Thinking about trading the Rift in. Rift S would probably be good too, the cord doesn’t really bug me, but if I’m gonna do it, I feel like I should do a quest since it can be corded anyway

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Any expected quest deals for BF? Thinking about trading the Rift in. Rift S would probably be good too, the cord doesn’t really bug me, but if I’m gonna do it, I feel like I should do a quest since it can be corded anyway

The only thanksgiving deal on the Quest from Oculus is a free copy of Vader Immortal if you get one before year's end. I think there's a small discount on the S, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NRVNQSR posted:

The only thanksgiving deal on the Quest from Oculus is a free copy of Vader Immortal if you get one before year's end. I think there's a small discount on the S, though.

The Rift S is discounted to $350USD.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/bethesda-vr-pack

Hate them or not, there's a lot of game there for the money.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is the quest tethering live right now?

E: also is the resolution bump noticeable over the Rift?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 28, 2019

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is the quest tethering live right now?

E: also is the resolution bump noticeable over the Rift?

Yes, and I would say yes but it's not a huge difference.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/bethesda-vr-pack

Hate them or not, there's a lot of game there for the money.

FYI that's only $2.50 off the current Steam price for those three games.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hmm, ok, sorry for babbys first quest questions here but I’ve just now sort of realized I could sell my Rift, my Vita and a couple other things and afford a quest.

Those who have used quest link, what are your impressions? My understanding is it sends compressed video to the Quest? Does it look good? A big part of my VR usage is iracing, which would require the link and does benefit from enhanced clarity.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Big Bad Worf posted:

Points for Quest:

Points against:
- the OLED panel is using a pentile array which gives a more visible "screen door" effect that they've largely tried to brute force with resolution, but it's still there. This bothers a lot of people and is contributing factor to why more VR headsets use LCD panels now. Even CV1 screen door effect never bothered me, but individual sensitivity varies (personally, my perfect headset would be a valve index that uses oled panels instead, since i'd gladly take the improved contrast even at the expense of some higher relative motion blur and increased screen door effect)

Does anyone actually complain about pentile/screen door effect on the Quest? I use mine pretty regularly and I've never thought, "wow they really need to fix the screen door effect on this thing". The last two models to have that problem were there Vive and CV1, I think?

The only complaints I have about the Quest is that it can only do one or two high resolution objects at a time, which is limited by the GPU, not the screen

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Does anyone actually complain about pentile/screen door effect on the Quest? I use mine pretty regularly and I've never thought, "wow they really need to fix the screen door effect on this thing". The last two models to have that problem were there Vive and CV1, I think?

The only complaints I have about the Quest is that it can only do one or two high resolution objects at a time, which is limited by the GPU, not the screen

Uhh yes? The screen door is super obvious.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Uhh yes? The screen door is super obvious.

Yeah I've tried both the Quest and the Rift S and the screen door is definitely more noticable on the Quest.

Like it's not a deal breaker or anything especially if you're into the rest of the Quest's features but it's totally a thing.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hadlock posted:

Does anyone actually complain about pentile/screen door effect on the Quest?

Yup, it's very obvious to me but it's better than the original Rift.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hmm, ok, sorry for babbys first quest questions here but I’ve just now sort of realized I could sell my Rift, my Vita and a couple other things and afford a quest.

Those who have used quest link, what are your impressions? My understanding is it sends compressed video to the Quest? Does it look good? A big part of my VR usage is iracing, which would require the link and does benefit from enhanced clarity.

The video is compressed but it's a 150Mbps stream and the quality is very good. It looks better than the original Rift but probably not quite as good as the Rift S.

If you're not going to benefit from using the Quest native games or playing wirelessly at all then Rift S is probably a better choice if your IPD is close to the optimal IPD (64.5 I think). Quest supports a much wider range of IPD's due to having physical IPD adjustment.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are you sure about that? Maybe it was a game changer without you knowing? I recently tried to go back to 2d racing and it was nearly impossible

I had that problem when dirt rally 2 came out without vr support. I tried playing it flat, but I could not focus on it properly.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Having a pentile screen means lower effective resolution due to fewer subpixels. The Quest and the Index have the same nominal resolution, but part of why the Index looks clearer IIRC is that it's full stripe.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
if the only vr stuff I’ve done is PSVR, is quest going to be a notable improvement in graphical quality (especially via link, since it’ll be hooked up to a really beefy pc?)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

uncurable mlady posted:

if the only vr stuff I’ve done is PSVR, is quest going to be a notable improvement in graphical quality (especially via link, since it’ll be hooked up to a really beefy pc?)

With link? yes.

Just in headset? No PC? Nah. I mean. its better because its actually full roomscale and tracking is better. But graphics, nah.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cicero posted:

Having a pentile screen means lower effective resolution due to fewer subpixels. The Quest and the Index have the same nominal resolution, but part of why the Index looks clearer IIRC is that it's full stripe.
There are fewer subpixels but for lots of stuff pentile looks just as good as a full RGB panel of the same resolution, mainly naturalistic scenes that don't have lots of hard edges or high contrast. Straight up horizontal or vertical lines though of any color except bright green, especially text and UI elements, it falls the gently caress apart though.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

With link? yes.

Just in headset? No PC? Nah. I mean. its better because its actually full roomscale and tracking is better. But graphics, nah.

cool, yeah. I think there’s some stuff where it probably won’t bother me (like, beat saber) but other stuff like skyrim or whatever weird rear end pc vr stuff I can get my hands on, I won’t mind being tethered to the pc

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

uncurable mlady posted:

cool, yeah. I think there’s some stuff where it probably won’t bother me (like, beat saber) but other stuff like skyrim or whatever weird rear end pc vr stuff I can get my hands on, I won’t mind being tethered to the pc

Honestly grab Virtual Desktop too. If your wifi isn't trash its really decent.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Just grabbed a Quest, link cable is back ordered through next week though. Been using PS4VR for a while so curious how it compares.

How can I tell what is a cross-buy from the quest/rift store? I'm going to grab some basic show-off games from the Quest store, and link to the main games like Asguard's wrath. I may have missed it from the OP, is the vive store able to be used with the occulus? I remember it working the other way around.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Probably some dumb baby questions but:

If I grab an Oculus Quest, would I be able to buy the Knuckles down the line and use those controllers instead?

Does the Quest come with the pc link cable out of the box? I'm beginning to think no, but that's a weird exclusion to me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Brick Shipment posted:

If I grab an Oculus Quest, would I be able to buy the Knuckles down the line and use those controllers instead?
There is a way to hack it together, but it would only work for SteamVR games, you'd still have to get lighthouses, and also its kind of a pain to set up. So no not really, mixing and matching isn't worth it for most people

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

homeless snail posted:

There is a way to hack it together, but it would only work for SteamVR games, you'd still have to get lighthouses, and also its kind of a pain to set up. So no not really, mixing and matching isn't worth it for most people

Itll also end up being 600+ Dollars to get the knuckles setup on top of the headache of doing playspace syncing.

If you're going to do that, Just buy the index.

Its only worth doing that crap if you're a psycho like me or saq with 90 headsets and poo poo just laying around. It'd be insane to buy that setup to actually use it that way.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Okay, yeah that sounds insane, thanks. The Index isn't available in my country, so I guess I've got me eyes on the Quest. And the pc link cable is sold separately yeah?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

After using the Quest all week, I have a thought about it. Unoriginal thought, because I know other people have mentioned:
The best virtue of the Quest is the low friction using it. You put it on your head, it wakes up automatically and you are playing. When you get tired, you put it out and that's it, no need to close apps, turn it off, etc. Apart from the no-fuss guardian system and the lack of cables and external sensors. Ideal for people who don't want to mess up with stuff, it should really connect with the mainstream.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Brick Shipment posted:

Okay, yeah that sounds insane, thanks. The Index isn't available in my country, so I guess I've got me eyes on the Quest. And the pc link cable is sold separately yeah?

Yeah but you can buy third party poo poo with extensions and all that so whatever. You can "Get going" now on the quest on pc.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

uncurable mlady posted:

Depends on what you mean by graphical quality. Resolution is higher, so things should be clearer. But it's weaker in terms of CPU and GPU, so expect fewer polygons, simpler textures, fewer snazzy effects like complex lighting, etc.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQke1eQHSAA

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Cicero posted:

Depends on what you mean by graphical quality. Resolution is higher, so things should be clearer. But it's weaker in terms of CPU and GPU, so expect fewer polygons, simpler textures, fewer snazzy effects like complex lighting, etc.

Except he said he be using it mainly with link on a beefy PC, so that's not the case.

When not running games via link you're correct.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I feel like in a few years we're gonna find out some oligarchs really wanted to play VR and agricultural equipment isn't covered by sanctions.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Fooma posted:

Just grabbed a Quest, link cable is back ordered through next week though. Been using PS4VR for a while so curious how it compares.

How can I tell what is a cross-buy from the quest/rift store? I'm going to grab some basic show-off games from the Quest store, and link to the main games like Asguard's wrath. I may have missed it from the OP, is the vive store able to be used with the occulus? I remember it working the other way around.

It should show on the store page for a game if it supports cross buy. I know it does in the website store, I assume it would in the app or in device. Yes, steam and viveport both work just fine with the rift/quest.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:haw:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Oh poo poo, he's cracked our code! ABORT! ABORT!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

yeah I was mostly curious about things like resolution and tracking - for some stuff I’m pretty ok with less fancy graphics (beat saber for instance) but the portability just seems like a win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Anybody else ever have the problem where the IPD setting keeps popping up in-game even though you're not adjusting it?

I had that occasionally with my VIVE, and now the Index. I guess it means I haven't strapped it down tight enough so its wobbling too much but its pretty annoying.