Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the dark secret of shonen manga is that no one in the business was better at depicting the flow of action than Akira Toriyama and nobody since him has really been great at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Horikoshi's issues with choreography is why I'm incredibly skeptical that "No Quirk Izuku beats the world with Brains and Smarts" would've been any good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Funky Valentine posted:

Horikoshi's issues with choreography is why I'm incredibly skeptical that "No Quirk Izuku beats the world with Brains and Smarts" would've been any good.
The problem is that he doesn't do a high enough page count to fully elaborate action.

Toriyama was good at readable fights but I think it was more a happy accident because he constantly simplified his art more and more to do less work

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fabricated posted:

The problem is that he doesn't do a high enough page count to fully elaborate action.

Toriyama was good at readable fights but I think it was more a happy accident because he constantly simplified his art more and more to do less work

It's totally not just that. Toriyama was an expert at flow from panel to panel, to make sure that your eyes naturally followed the point-of-action from one to the next. There was never any confusion about what was happening or how someone was hitting someone else. Calling it an accident is really underselling how much skill with framing a comic panel that takes and how many modern manga artists, like Horikoshi (and hell even Eiichiro Oda sometimes) struggle with the concept.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
And for what it’s worth the official translations are working off of better images—this last chapter was much clearer to me there than JB’s.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

It also would've sucked regardless because the grand majority of those stories just end up having the MC use a form of martial arts or gadgets or whatnot that are functionally identical to just having super powers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

It's totally not just that. Toriyama was an expert at flow from panel to panel, to make sure that your eyes naturally followed the point-of-action from one to the next. There was never any confusion about what was happening or how someone was hitting someone else. Calling it an accident is really underselling how much skill with framing a comic panel that takes and how many modern manga artists, like Horikoshi (and hell even Eiichiro Oda sometimes) struggle with the concept.

Yeah. Say what you want about Toriyama but he genuinely is a master of the craft. Dragonball and onward read absurdly well and a big part of that is just *how* good his composition is. There's nothing accidental about it, he knows exactly what he's doing.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I had trouble on my first read-through of this chapter because I didn't realize each thing was supposed to be happening at the same time so it kind of jump cuts between each character rather than showing a chain of sequential events.

But the other problem with this chapter is the page count, it's a bit much to try to fit like 5-6 different people doing things in 14 pages. In particular the bit with the chauffer sliding in their gear almost felt a bit superfluous and it's kind of hard to tell what Todoroki is even doing because there are no wide shots of it until several pages later.

I usually have a really easy time with Horikoshi's fights and choreography and in particular I found the Deku v. Bakugo 2 fight to be really clear in spite of all of the motion. And in the Gentle fight he used some really clever panelling to show the long distance attacks. Most of his other fights are really straightforward power clashes with only a few moves from start to resolution so there's not a lot of ambiguity anyway.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Blockhouse posted:

The tradeoff is that Dragonball fights are very low-intensity in order to maintain that clarity (group fights are rare and usually short, environmental effects are at a minimum, backgrounds are very simple etc.)
It's an unavoidable give-and-take relationship to how detailed you want your action/art to be and how easy it is to read.

Even Murata in his drawing of One Punch Man has fallen victim to messing up some details with how intense he depicts the action happening.

The page count is definitely a part of the problem though. Sometimes you just need the space in order to draw out what's happening clear enough that people can follow it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like One Piece has shifted away from its traditional fight manga origins so thoroughly at this point that it can get away with cluttered composition more because there aren't fights that constantly any more. It's become a very dense manga in general, to the point where yes, it can be hard to follow, but by contrast MHA's problem isn't clutter, it's generally just giving the reader poor geography of an action scene, especially in the 1-A vs. 1-B arc. If we don't know where the pieces are, their moves can't feel meaningful.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Now I'm just thinking about how the Hisoka vs Chrollo was both incredibly complicated and also super easy to follow

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

wheres chrollo vs hisoka ova

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Kild posted:

wheres chrollo vs hisoka ova

monoma and mineta already fought against each other in the 5th round of the class battles, come on guys

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/252/page/1

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I can't see this decision as something that Shoto and Fuyumi will accept. It feels too much like running away. This is the kind of decision that should've been made a while back, likely not by him. With him actively trying to become better and no longer being abusive, it feels mistimed. That said, with Natsuo still feeling uncomfortable around him, he should have the final say.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"It's alright if you never forgive me." drat. Looks like we were right to have faith that Horikoshi wouldn't gently caress up this redemption arc.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He needs to maybe dial Bakugo back a little more again, because this chapter really was not improved by him being a full-on ultra dick every other panel.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

:same:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I really loved this exchange between Bakugou and Deku:

"Hey dumbass,! How are the extras!?"

"I don't know, but the people in the cars are alright!"

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Viridiant posted:

I can't see this decision as something that Shoto and Fuyumi will accept. It feels too much like running away. This is the kind of decision that should've been made a while back, likely not by him. With him actively trying to become better and no longer being abusive, it feels mistimed. That said, with Natsuo still feeling uncomfortable around him, he should have the final say.

Yeah, while I like this turn of developments it does feel like Endeavor had the final say in these. It'd be nice if the next chapter had Fuyumi or Natsuo having their say on where they'll go from here.

But really, having Endeavor admit that Natsuo doesn't need to forgive him felt really good.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Well I think Natsuo is still in college and clearly neither of them are independent or have the capability to support 3 people yet so it makes sense for him to be nominally in charge of their living arrangements. He's also likely the one who's in charge of getting Rei discharged and since he feels responsible for all of this I guess he feels responsible for fixing it too. Also he does ask them to live with Rei there, he's not commanding them to do anything.

I feel like this is a really mature way to take the plotline, personally and its nice to see it.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Excited to find out what Bakugo's new hero name is. Expecting the reveal of him wanting All Might to be the first person hear his new name "gently caress You All Might You Should Have Given Me That Power Instead of Worthless loving Deku Now Just Watch Me Reach Number One Instead of Him!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Excited to find out what Bakugo's new hero name is. Expecting the reveal of him wanting All Might to be the first person hear his new name

He's not talking about All Might.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This definitely is a chapter where I'm going to wait for the official translation before making judgements. A lot of the dialogue is confusing in a way that suggests it wasn't translated properly.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Oof :(

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Nephthys posted:

Well I think Natsuo is still in college and clearly neither of them are independent or have the capability to support 3 people yet so it makes sense for him to be nominally in charge of their living arrangements. He's also likely the one who's in charge of getting Rei discharged and since he feels responsible for all of this I guess he feels responsible for fixing it too. Also he does ask them to live with Rei there, he's not commanding them to do anything.

I feel like this is a really mature way to take the plotline, personally and its nice to see it.
Any situation that puts Rei back in a house with Endeavor isn't a good one, so this splits the difference really.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Horikoshi is really drat good at this writing thing

also I remember that years ago in an old Dragon Ball thread someone did a breakdown of Toriyama's composition style and it was really insightful

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Fabricated posted:

Any situation that puts Rei back in a house with Endeavor isn't a good one, so this splits the difference really.

Let alone the same house. Yes, let's have this woman suffering from PTSD live in the same place traumatic experiences happened!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

PMush Perfect posted:

"It's alright if you never forgive me." drat. Looks like we were right to have faith that Horikoshi wouldn't gently caress up this redemption arc.

More for me, is the fact Endeavour directly says he ruined their family, because again, the usual Jump thing to do is to go "Don't worry, they did it for your benefit, so you need to understand they had good intentions." And Endeavour "Nope, I was a selfish rear end in a top hat, and in my selfishness I destroyed this family, I don't want you to forgive me, I just want to make up for my sins."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Carlosologist posted:

Horikoshi is really drat good at this writing thing

also I remember that years ago in an old Dragon Ball thread someone did a breakdown of Toriyama's composition style and it was really insightful

It was in one of the Jojo threads as I recall where a woman was doing a very lengthy and comprehensive analysis of Dragon Ball and how it compares and contrasted to Araki's art. Is that what you're thinking of?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

SKULL.GIF posted:

It was in one of the Jojo threads as I recall where a woman was doing a very lengthy and comprehensive analysis of Dragon Ball and how it compares and contrasted to Araki's art. Is that what you're thinking of?

Yes! I think I saw it in the Dragon Ball thread or something as it was before I followed Jojo

so it seems like this arc is wrapping up, what's coming next?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Carlosologist posted:

Yes! I think I saw it in the Dragon Ball thread or something as it was before I followed Jojo

so it seems like this arc is wrapping up, what's coming next?

The Liberation Front arc was a lot, so I’d honestly be happy with another smaller arc.

I’m really pleased by how the Endeavor’s arc is being handled, too, although I’m a little worried by how anime watchers will handle it once they learn it’s going to happen

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Do yall think his new name will be Best Explodist or Best Exploder?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

All Mightiest

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

the dark secret of shonen manga is that no one in the business was better at depicting the flow of action than Akira Toriyama and nobody since him has really been great at it

I'd argue Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist) but she did monthly chapters rather than weekly and had far more pages to work with...

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Dyna Might.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Raposa posted:

Dyna Might.

yeah, it'll be this

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Man this was such a good chapter.
Writing a story about an abuse rear end in a top hat is always difficult. And I don't think there is a way he can write it in such a way that everyone is happy about it. It just hits too close at home for some people sadly.
But I do think that this is one of the best examples we've seen. At least when it comes to manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"I don't care if you never forgive me, all I want to do is make up for my mistakes and become a better person."

I like that mindset because people aren't going to forget he was a piece of poo poo