Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
But there's a remote possibility it's not racist and I will defend cops for reasons!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
East European migrants found dead in a shipping container? The writers for this season are just ripping off plots from the Wire.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1187108935167139840?s=19

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

deoju posted:

East European migrants found dead in a shipping container? The writers for this season are just ripping off plots from the Wire.

They were Chinese nationals, it turns out. I don't know what impact that would've had on the Season 2 storyline.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Whiz Palace posted:

They were Chinese nationals, it turns out. I don't know what impact that would've had on the Season 2 storyline.

71.53% less screen time of Ziggy's dick and thus vastly detrimental to the show as a whole.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
None since on the show they never treated them as humans, just corpses. That never sat well with me.

It’s like they go out of their way not to acknowledge they were living humans killed in transit as part of a human trafficking organization, just a common ho-hum mysterious shipment of dead bodies.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

None since on the show they never treated them as humans, just corpses. That never sat well with me.

It’s like they go out of their way not to acknowledge they were living humans killed in transit as part of a human trafficking organization, just a common ho-hum mysterious shipment of dead bodies.

Didn’t mcnulty make a big deal about trying to identify her so that he could notify her family?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It's the Baltimore homicide department, I imagine it's the only way you can cope with the job especially on a scale like that, to try to distance yourself from the humanity of it. It's why they're all alcoholics too (McNulty's just the worst/hitting his bottom earlier).

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I get that, that in a real homicide department you'd develop all kinds of coping mechanisms for that kind of stuff. But that's the luxury of a TV show, you could maybe show someone caring, or pretending to care, or wanting to care but acknowledging that the burnout precludes them from being able to. Instead they all just basically Pete Campbell'd and went "Huh! A thing like that! What do you think they wanted to do with all these corpses??"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Like my issue is they treat it solely like a smuggling operation instead of a multiple homicide.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Theres plenty of terrible poo poo that happens in the show where no one, or practically no one, comments on it and its left to the viewer. Like McNulty trying to interview the women in immigration detention is a horrifically hosed up situation- they were smuggled across the sea, perhaps on false pretenses, to work in terrible conditions and the government just throws them in a cage and ships them back to whatever impoverished country they came from. But everyone just accepts this as normal and no one explicitly says anyrhing about it

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Yeah I think the fact they didn't do or say anything is an indictment in and of itself

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've always been of the impression that the completely blasé way they treat the dead women is a large part of the point the show was making, with only Beadie ever really showing any true empathy for their plight (even then she makes the deliberate choice to go back to blissful ignorance at the end of the season) and the very deliberate shots in the final montage of more women being smuggled into the country to be forced into a life of sex slavery with the best case scenario for them being getting caught during a bust and... shipped back to the lovely country they tried to escape from in the first place. :sigh:

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

But there's a remote possibility it's not racist and I will defend cops for reasons!!!!

Everyone deserves a defence for the remote possibilites. Glad to stand up for that.

Though my original point was about how we cope with police being racist or violent - maybe we should focus on getting those offenders in jail.
I care way much more about actual violent behavior from cops than some weird radio stuff where races are assigned to numbers on convenience.

I don't want to chastise baltimore police officers for assigning numbers on a radio.
I want to chastiste them if they infringe on any civil rights or are excessive violent.

If we cry wolf too many times, that distract from the real issues.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Whose job is it to put the offending police officers in jail? After watching this show, do you think that that actually happens? Did the show you watched not explore the role of people's attitudes and their casual dismissals in signalling the deeper rot and corruption around them, causing the institution's process to work completely contrary to its stated goals?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes we should put all the police in jail.

Defending them seems counterproductive to that though

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

It's the Baltimore homicide department, I imagine it's the only way you can cope with the job especially on a scale like that, to try to distance yourself from the humanity of it. It's why they're all alcoholics too (McNulty's just the worst/hitting his bottom earlier).

They go into this in Homicide. There's an episode where a tourist is killed in front of her family during a botched robbery. The grieving husband (played by Robin Williams) catches the homicide detectives mocking him, and he's of course furious.

The Lieutenant has to calm him down by pointing out that they have to deal with hundreds of senseless murders a year, and that its the only way they can stay sane and productive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrB1_iRDp8g&t=327s

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Just watched The Irishman, and I knew Herc was Fat Tony just from the voice. They really went all out changing his face.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I KNEW he sounded familiar but I couldn't place it. Thanks

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I’m pretty sure I even saw pictures of him in makeup during filming, but the final product is crazy. I knew it was him from his voice, but other than his frame, he was almost totally unrecognizable.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I only put it together after noticing that like 8/10 of the cast of Boardwalk Empire was in the movie so I kept my eye out for him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That aging/de-aging CGI in that movie is unreal

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Data Graham posted:

That aging/de-aging CGI in that movie is unreal

Some of it, like what they did with Herc, was very impressive. A couple things had me laughing a lot though. When De Niro beats up the grocer for pushing his daughter, I had a good laugh because he just looked so unsteady on his feet you could have pushed him over with a feather. This man is clearly very old and you can only hide it so well.

That and the contacts he was wearing throughout the movie kept bringing to mind Stevie from Eastbound & Down.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, his kicking in that scene was very unconvincing. I had heard that they brought in people to help with posture so everyone wouldn't look like 80 year olds when they were trying to play someone in their 40's, but that scene made it really obvious.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Have they said why they didn't do face replacement to give everyone younger bodies? Seems like it would've really sold the final effect.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I could have sworn the MC at the awards ceremony was Bob Odenkirk with face munging, but I guess not.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Suxpool posted:

That and the contacts he was wearing throughout the movie kept bringing to mind Stevie from Eastbound & Down.

I was staring at this for like 3 minutes going "wow he does look like Stevie, but why"

lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah the grocer scene was really the only one that broke the illusion (the obvious CGI glass didn't help).

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah the grocer scene was really the only one that broke the illusion (the obvious CGI glass didn't help).

I noticed right at the beginning when they were looking at the timing chain. I still liked the movie but only Pacino moved convincingly, mostly because he was muh more stationary and could hold on to podiums. But when the bed scenes were everyone has these big old man potbellies it was also sad.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Wait, *was* Agent Koutris hiding The Greek from the FBI? I thought TG didn't pop up on the search because the detail didn't have info on him to trawl the FBI database with

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BrotherJayne posted:

Wait, *was* Agent Koutris hiding The Greek from the FBI? I thought TG didn't pop up on the search because the detail didn't have info on him to trawl the FBI database with

Not really hiding, he had The Greek openly listed as a confidential informant in the FBI database. This meant Fitzhugh's requests for information were pinging Koutris to warn him his CI was currently being looked at. He was very careful not to do anything on paper/leave a record that he was warning The Greek, and from memory was careful to never hear about any of the Greek's criminal reactions to this news, but he allowed The Greek to stay a step ahead and nobody was going to touch Koutris even once Fitzhugh figured it out, because Koutris was the golden boy after the Greek paid him back by giving him the info on a huge shipment of smuggled drugs the FBI could flaunt on the news. He is able to downplay to Fitzhugh what Spiros' involvement in a previous crime was and at the time Fitzhugh has no reason to not believe he is telling him the truth.

Koutris clearly knows that Frank showing up dead after he told The Greek about Frank working with the taskforce was no coincidence, but he considers it a price worth paying and he never "officially" knows and the Greek is smart enough not to say anything directly to him about it. Fitzhugh clearly figures out what is going on but doesn't confront or tell the FBI because he knows that he couldn't prove it (beyond a reasonable doubt at least) and that the FBI's own institutional rear end-covering would just destroy his own career rather than be embarrassed or have to give up such a valuable CI.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I thought Spiros and Vandos and Serge were the lookups that triggered the alert, but folks were implying back around page 40ish that he was hiding The Greek from the FBI

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The original triggers were those guys, yeah. It has been awhile since my last rewatch (oh look at that, an excuse for another!) but if I remember right the taskforce doesn't hear about The Greek specifically for a little while (or assume it is Spiros) and when they do it is included in the keywords Fitzhugh puts into the system which triggers another alert and Koutris makes a :eyepop: reaction because it's a sign of how deep the Taskforce has managed to penetrate even with him obfuscating things from them.

The Greek himself as far as I know is just straight up registered as a CI with the FBI, with Koutris as his handler, but Fitzhugh's requests for info have to go through Koutris who hides them from Fitzhugh specifically. Kind of like the BPD itself where one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. Institutions :argh:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Holy poo poo. I guess it's time for a rewatch.

I completely missed that on my first and second time through, I just always assumed that The Greek was so far above the game that he was a complete unknown to the feds.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Alright, at page 57.

All this bloviating about Hamsterdam is driving me fuckin' nuts xD

The policy works, crime overall is down, and HHS can concentrate on the freezones while police are freed up to do real police work (them's that ain't babysittig). And all this poo poo managed with barely any funding.

Ugh.

Also, it was sad to watch Carver start to grow up, and work his rear end off to make the thing work, while poo poo-heel wannabe soldier knuckle dragging and head cracking cops just gently caress around and complain about their inability to get their sadism fix.

Edit: Also, what the gently caress, Avon? You knew you needed to muscle up, and were cut off from the pool of northern enforcers. So develop the goddamn local talent! It's not like Stringer ain't got the fuckin's warchest to fund it. Shiiiiieeeeeeet.

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 11, 2019

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BrotherJayne posted:

Edit: Also, what the gently caress, Avon? You knew you needed to muscle up, and were cut off from the pool of northern enforcers. So develop the goddamn local talent! It's not like Stringer ain't got the fuckin's warchest to fund it. Shiiiiieeeeeeet.

Even with his mistakes Avon was still going to win the war vs Marlo up until Stringer ratted him out. I'd say quality soldiers was far less a problem than internal strife between him and String.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ginette Reno posted:

Even with his mistakes Avon was still going to win the war vs Marlo up until Stringer ratted him out. I'd say quality soldiers was far less a problem than internal strife between him and String.
I disagree... but I'm also a hard and conservative believer in needing 3 to 1 advantage when attacking someone on their home turf, which is a rule of thumb readily ignored by many (which makes sense, given the rather hit and run nature of their conflicts)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BrotherJayne posted:

I disagree... but I'm also a hard and conservative believer in needing 3 to 1 advantage when attacking someone on their home turf, which is a rule of thumb readily ignored by many (which makes sense, given the rather hit and run nature of their conflicts)

I mean when Avon got arrested he had a location on Marlo and like ten goons with heavy weapons ready to go over there and unload on him. Even with as sloppy as drug hits can be I don't see how Marlo gets out of that situation alive.

If Avon had a unified camp I don't see how Marlo wins that drug war.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I really love that little touch about simply knocking on Avon's door and announcing a police presence to let them know that there's no point running or resisting, and it just works. I've had at least one person insist that it wouldn't have gone down like that, but he was probably just a little sad that the grenade never got used.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Someone pointed out in the Youtube comments that it's another chess game reference.... both sides can agree the game is over once the king is surrounded. Avon just smiles as if to say "checkmate, good game, I played well"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Someone pointed out in the Youtube comments that it's another chess game reference.... both sides can agree the game is over once the king is surrounded. Avon just smiles as if to say "checkmate, good game, I played well"...

And it's very accurate to Avon's character up to that point. I mean, they literally call it The Game. Avon is most definitely not one of those "I'd rather die than go back to prison" types, because to him prison is just an accepted part of The Game and when it's your time to go you go.