Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Anyway here's a Hoodslam wrestler who announced that they're on HRT and this video is v heartwarming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlGpF64ugPk

dark sheik rules and is one of the nicest people Ive ever met CAUTION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Wrestling is starting to get huge as gently caress in queer culture.
The Nobodies want to go a full dragxwrestling event with a bunch of cool poo poo.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Drag and wrestling is such a no brainer combo Im shocked its not more of a thing. Every tag team in history would be improved with a drag queen manager

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Hey! Im so glad this thread exists. Spikegal, I do have an OP I was working on with a brief history of treatment of homosexuality in wrestling and some profiles of prominent currently active LGBT wrestlers, but I got a little derailed by Thanksgiving prep. But maybe I can post it here for you to add to the OP?

Anyway, hey guys! Bisexual wrestling fan here, vaguely non-binary too. Ive been a fan since the build to Bryan vs. Cena at Summerslam. For some reason I really latched on to Daniel Bryan.

I kind of fell out of wrestling as I grew more and more disgusted with WWE, until the NY64 thing convinced got me to stop even following results. But AEW (and Kenny Omega in particular has me back into wrestling hard. My partner and I just went to Dynamite yesterday!

I used to feel really really nervous going to bars and shows and being myself around more typical wrestling fans, but I dont really worry about it anymore. Some of that is personal growth for me, but its also just remarkable how much the culture has changed in the last five years. I see more and more queer people at shows, queer merch, queer wrestlers. Its really awesome.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Drag and wrestling is such a no brainer combo Im shocked its not more of a thing. Every tag team in history would be improved with a drag queen manager

I saw Freelance Wrestling in Chicago last week with my partner and a friend of hers who does drag in Vietnam and had never seen wrestling before. She made the point that Joey Ryan is basically a drag king.

Pinstripe Hourglass fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 28, 2019

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

My local indie is MC'd by a couple of local Queens and it's amazing. They also have rules about no slurs and it being a safe space. It's great.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

WatermelonGun posted:

dark sheik rules and is one of the nicest people Ive ever met CAUTION

I have an acquaintance who lives in the bay area and is a UX person for some website and wants me to go to hoodslam with him and his husband next time I get to the bay area and I really want to go.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 29, 2019

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Hey! Im so glad this thread exists. Spikegal, I do have an OP I was working on with a brief history of treatment of homosexuality in wrestling and some profiles of prominent currently active LGBT wrestlers, but I got a little derailed by Thanksgiving prep. But maybe I can post it here for you to add to the OP?

Anyway, hey guys! Bisexual wrestling fan here, vaguely non-binary too. Ive been a fan since the build to Bryan vs. Cena at Summerslam. For some reason I really latched on to Daniel Bryan.

I kind of fell out of wrestling as I grew more and more disgusted with WWE, until the NY64 thing convinced got me to stop even following results. But AEW (and Kenny Omega in particular has me back into wrestling hard. My partner and I just went to Dynamite yesterday!

I used to feel really really nervous going to bars and shows and being myself around more typical wrestling fans, but I dont really worry about it anymore. Some of that is personal growth for me, but its also just remarkable how much the culture has changed in the last five years. I see more and more queer people at shows, queer merch, queer wrestlers. Its really awesome.

I saw Freelance Wrestling in Chicago last week with my partner and a friend of hers who does drag in Vietnam and had never seen wrestling before. She made the point that Joey Ryan is basically a drag king.

Yes of course, post your thing and I'll add it to the OP. I'm sorry I didn't mean to steal your thunder I just really liked the idea of this thread and wanted to make it a reality.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I have an acquaintance who lives in the bay area and is a UX person for some website and wants me to go to hoodslam with him and his husband next time I get to the bay area and I really want to go.

Here is a clip of Hoodslam's crowd chanting "gently caress the pigs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTeSKMs8_A4

i dont live in the bay but i have lots of friends down so ive been like 5 times this year anyway you should go it loving owns.

i got tomorrow off i kinda wanna go tomorrow cuz its EVERY loving FRIDAY

CAUTION

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

dark sheik used to follow me on twitter welp thats my story of the time i was sort of cool

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

HOODSLAM is the most dope poo poo ever.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

:hmmyes:

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Spikegal posted:

Yes of course, post your thing and I'll add it to the OP. I'm sorry I didn't mean to steal your thunder I just really liked the idea of this thread and wanted to make it a reality.

Nonsense, Im so happy theres a thread! Everyone was coming out of the woodwork in the bad opinions thread, I was so pleasantly surprised to see so many queer wrestling fans here

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I'm not LGBT full disclosing but am curious about interpretation of representation from the comment above:

How do you find queer representations which are simultaneously portrayed as evil/bad via queerness but also beloved in previous eras? I'm thinking Goldust or Adrian Street.

Conversely how are more modern takes like Dalton Castle?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I dont always mind effeminate villains in wrestling, but I find Goldust completely disgusting and I really hate it when people remember the character fondly. He was portrayed as a gay molestor, it was a complete gay panic-bait gimmick.

I dont know as much about Adrian Street, but I do like that he cut a weird glam rock album.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Lid posted:

I'm not LGBT full disclosing but am curious about interpretation of representation from the comment above:

How do you find queer representations which are simultaneously portrayed as evil/bad via queerness but also beloved in previous eras? I'm thinking Goldust or Adrian Street.

Conversely how are more modern takes like Dalton Castle?

If the person doing the gimmick isn't queer its awful as gently caress 100% of the time.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I don’t know as much about Adrian Street, but I do like that he cut a weird glam rock album.

Edit: that's his dad. What a legend.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that pic would go on to inspire multiple scenes in the hit film zoolander. not a bad joke but a bad fact

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Edit: that's his dad. What a legend.

what's even crazier is that Adrian Street is on the left, and his dad is on the right

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I dont always mind effeminate villains in wrestling, but I find Goldust completely disgusting and I really hate it when people remember the character fondly. He was portrayed as a gay molestor, it was a complete gay panic-bait gimmick.

I dont know as much about Adrian Street, but I do like that he cut a weird glam rock album.

I hated it, even in its own time. I remember thinking Goldust was bad not because he was "gay" but because he didn't respect people's boundaries and kissed people without their permission. Same when his face turn came when King asked if he was the f word and he screamed no to the cheers of the crowd.

Same thing with Gorgeous George - it was all gay panic. I think the same thing for any horrible heel that's whole gimmick is I'm a foreigner. I hate "the other" trope as a whole and just want more reasons to think someone is unlikable other than they aren't like me.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So my LGBT wrassle friends, I have a question I'm sure you can answer. My whole life I've considered myself a straight male but I appreciate beautiful men a great deal. I also dated a trans woman for some time, does this maybe mean I'm less straight than I think I am? I hope that question isn't offensive to anyone or too ignorant, I've just never had anyone I could ask about this.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

i dont give a gently caress about pro wrestling, but id listen enraptured when my buddy would recount hoodslam events for me. Drugs bunny? Yes! Scorpion fighting Ryu? Goddamn right.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

So my LGBT wrassle friends, I have a question I'm sure you can answer. My whole life I've considered myself a straight male but I appreciate beautiful men a great deal. I also dated a trans woman for some time, does this maybe mean I'm less straight than I think I am? I hope that question isn't offensive to anyone or too ignorant, I've just never had anyone I could ask about this.

The dating a trans woman part doesn't make you not hetero, but if by "appreciate beautiful men" you mean some sort of physical/romantic attraction, then, yeah, you might be bisexual to some degree. I can't take out a divining rod and give you a down to the decimal Kinsey reading, but it's worth some introspection.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I enjoy Dustin Rhodes's work now even if he's a Blue Lives type, and I liked some of the work where Goldust was just "weird" rather than gay but when we've watched old stuff, it sucks. I'm bi and most of my wrestling watching group is queer in some way and old stuff is a minefield. Hell, lots of modern stuff is a minefield, I love DDT but Deino is a rough watch sometimes. He's a respected pillar of DDT and not a villain, I believe it's semi-confirmed he's actually gay, and he's got his own brand of charisma but drat if I wish he could get away from some of his schtick.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

TheKingslayer posted:

if you dated a trans woman you dated a woman, full stop. thats still a straight relationship, you don't get gay points for that. i mean, thank you for your service to the community, im a gay trans woman personally, but i know that the dating lives of straight trans women is fraught with peril. i mean, i guess the question is could you see yourself dating or sleeping with a man? like, identifies as a man, uses a man's name, lives as a man, whether they be cis or trans? if so yeah you might be kinda bi. i can appreciate a beautiful man but kota ibushi himself could ask if i wanted a roll in the hay and i wouldn't be, like, super into it. i'm interested in women or femmy non-binary folks pretty exclusively. i've been with a man in my past and... ehhhh not my cup of tea.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

TheKingslayer posted:

make sure to focus on having fun and having a cool life than getting bogged down in labels

this isn't some infallible ironclad science, if you like a person you like a person, have a nice day

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

shiksa posted:

if you dated a trans woman you dated a woman, full stop. thats still a straight relationship, you don't get gay points for that. i mean, thank you for your service to the community, im a gay trans woman personally, but i know that the dating lives of straight trans women is fraught with peril. i mean, i guess the question is could you see yourself dating or sleeping with a man? like, identifies as a man, uses a man's name, lives as a man, whether they be cis or trans? if so yeah you might be kinda bi. i can appreciate a beautiful man but kota ibushi himself could ask if i wanted a roll in the hay and i wouldn't be, like, super into it. i'm interested in women or femmy non-binary folks pretty exclusively. i've been with a man in my past and... ehhhh not my cup of tea.

This is the way I had assumed it was and always made it a policy to only care about what people identify as. I just had no frame of reference for how it was perceived from the other direction and I really appreciate everyone's answers. It's great this forum is so diverse.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
I'm trans, and if you think you couldn't find Vince McMahon any more tiresome than you already do, it IS possible.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

TheKingslayer posted:

This is the way I had assumed it was and always made it a policy to only care about what people identify as. I just had no frame of reference for how it was perceived from the other direction and I really appreciate everyone's answers. It's great this forum is so diverse.

no problem, happy to have a friendly discourse about these things :) you're already working from a pretty good base it seems, so i wouldn't worry too much, but its always nice to just be open and communicative. and yeah, sa is kind of a unique place on the internet, at least so far as i've found. honestly i'd be a poster without a home without it. a shitpost ronin, wandering the electronic hillsides.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Hope everyones thanksgiving was as nice and trauma-free as possible! I know this is one of the worst days of the year for a lot of queer folks. Hang in there yall.

TheKingslayer posted:

the idea of trans women as a gateway drug into bisexuality is unfortunately really pervasive, because its fundamentally disrespectful to the reality of their gender identities. Attraction to a trans woman is attracting to a woman, regardless of genitalia or surgery or anything.

that said, having sex with someone else with a penis as a cis man necessitates rethinking the ways youve been instructed to have sex. And those normative ways of thinking about sex often present huge barriers to men who might already be struggling to accept existing bisexual feelings, completely unrelated to their attraction to trans women. So the act of rethinking preconceived notions of sex can sometimes help unlock things.

Catholic school did a number on me, okay???

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Straight dudes who suck girl dick are extremely powerful

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I only got back into wrestling in 2015 (thanks, Sting, for the OMG you're in the WWE moment that made me order Mania). I know that wrestling had gotten better, if only because the culture had improved, but I don't know if I really felt that until I started going to indy shows. It helps to be going to shows in Chicago, but knowing that the promotions I went to were queer positive helped a lot.

Which eventually led me to going to RISE last month. Besides the excellent women's wrestling, there were moments that were so queer I had a giant smile on my face for the entire show. I'm so going to the next show and bringing a friend, I felt so happy watching that night.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Junpei Hyde posted:

:hmmyes:

Ten years ago in this forum there's no way this thread would have existed and I think it's awesome and all of you are awesome for the fact it does.

TheKingslayer posted:

So my LGBT wrassle friends, I have a question I'm sure you can answer. My whole life I've considered myself a straight male but I appreciate beautiful men a great deal.

Most of your post has been covered, but: Hi, bi boi here who wrestled (heh) with this a lot at a time cause really I've only been in long term relationships with women, but lemme tell ya there's no rule that says a dog can't play basketball you have to be perfectly 50-50 to be considered bi.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I always have the image of a bi dude looking frantically at an excel sheet. I cant balance the columns! he screams. Ill be straight by February!

Pinwiz11 posted:

I only got back into wrestling in 2015 (thanks, Sting, for the OMG you're in the WWE moment that made me order Mania). I know that wrestling had gotten better, if only because the culture had improved, but I don't know if I really felt that until I started going to indy shows. It helps to be going to shows in Chicago, but knowing that the promotions I went to were queer positive helped a lot.

Fellow Chicago wrestlequeer! Do you ever go to Freelance Wrestling at Logan Auditorium?

Pinstripe Hourglass fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 29, 2019

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

sucking dicks rules

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

sucking dicks rules

Licking pussy and eating rear end - also loving awesome and one of my biggest joys in this world.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

cool thread

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

weekly font posted:

Ten years ago in this forum there's no way this thread would have existed and I think it's awesome and all of you are awesome for the fact it does.

Most of your post has been covered, but: Hi, bi boi here who wrestled (heh) with this a lot at a time cause really I've only been in long term relationships with women, but lemme tell ya there's no rule that says a dog can't play basketball you have to be perfectly 50-50 to be considered bi.
me posting mirrors the quoted post

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Spikegal posted:

Licking pussy and eating rear end - also loving awesome and one of my biggest joys in this world.

yeah that too.

Tokamak posted:

cool thread

it owns lol.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

If the person doing the gimmick isn't queer its awful as gently caress 100% of the time.

Yeah I gotta say a lot of the charm of the Dalton Castle gimmick evaporated for me when he made it explicitly clear in a rolling stone interview that he was straight and had a wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I missed the 'Golddust is a filthy homo' stuff because I was young, stupid and naive. (I thought he was a heel because he was a 'weirdo', which I suppose was code for gay back in those days. But as agrown up looking back it was pretty clear that he was supposed to be gay and we were supposed to boo him purely because of that.

And I would really like to see in wrestling an effeminate gay male heel. Not the way it used to be done, where they were heel purely by virtue of being effeminate, or gay-coded. But in a way where they are a legitimate heel who just happens to be gay.

A performer like Sonny Kiss could have a lot of fun being a flamboyant, camp baddie. And so long as the queerness wasn't the sole focus of his nefarious activities in and out of the ring, I think it would be cool and good.

And on poor LGBT representation in the WWE, everybody remembers Billy and Chuck. That was going so well, until they hosed us all at the end with the wedding. (although to be honest it was a wedding in a wrestling ring, we should have known.)