Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Blast Fantasto posted:

I always remember those two games because they had a Olympus Has Fallen/White House Down thing going on, they came out only a few months apart.

Yeah exactly it’s why I always mix them up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

I always remember those two games because they had a Olympus Has Fallen/White House Down thing going on, they came out only a few months apart.

Is there a term for when this happens? I can remember Antz and A Bug's Life coming out the same time too. I assume a lot of the time it isn't a coincidence.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Is there a term for when this happens? I can remember Antz and A Bug's Life coming out the same time too. I assume a lot of the time it isn't a coincidence.

Well I mean Antz having a similar premise to Bug's Life and coming out at the same time was 100% down to Jeff Katsenberg being pissed at Disney for sacking him.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

All the stormtrooper dialogue is really good but it leads to a weird thing where the hapless nameless guys you’re remorselessly massacring by the dozens are more likable than the bland protagonists. I just got one where a stormtrooper was giving marksmanship advice to his squad (just lead them, you’ll hit em every time) because when he grew up on Utapau there wasn’t anything to do other than get really good at sniping rock-vultures

I'm really enjoying what I've played of this game so far but it runs like poo poo on a base PS4. Here's hoping for a patch that'll make a cool game better to play.
Edit: on a more positive note though I just finished Heavenward in FF14, and while I guess this isn't really a little thing, it really owned and hearing that it just keeps getting better has got me psyched to put another 200+ hours into it.

GelatinSkeleton has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Nov 29, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

It depends. Sometimes it's just due to corporate bullshit (Antz/Bug Life was this) and sometimes it's two similar films trying to cash in on a similar trend. A good example is how for a good while there you had every game in the world having a bow and arrow, especially games with female leads, because Hunger Games made All The Money.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

GelatinSkeleton posted:

I'm really enjoying what I've played of this game so far but it runs like poo poo on a base PS4. Here's hoping for a patch that'll make a cool game better to play.

I’m playing on an Xbox One X and it’s easily the worst a current-gen game has ever performed for me. Loading takes forever, frame rate drops constantly, and constant bugs. When it’s fun it’s fun but it needed like 6 more months in the oven. I think I’m going to shelve it until a patch stabilizes the frame rate and fixes stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/southafao/status/1200072167087656962?s=21

https://twitter.com/southafao/status/1200083965866065921?s=21

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I dunno what your consoles are smoking, but it was not noticeably worse than any random game on a lovely old base PS4 for me. Some occasional framedrops and such, but nothing that jumps out as particularly bad for newer games and absolutely zero things that were worth complaining about from an enjoyment perspective.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

I haven't actually run into any of the bugs I've heard about and I haven't had much of an issue with load times, the game is just really hitchy and the frame rate is pretty rough at times. It's really just that that is affecting my enjoyment of the game. Maybe that just bothers me more than you, bit I don't think these issues are really all that common in other recent releases. The game really needs some patching

GelatinSkeleton has a new favorite as of 04:05 on Nov 29, 2019

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I’m playing on an Xbox One X and it’s easily the worst a current-gen game has ever performed for me. Loading takes forever, frame rate drops constantly, and constant bugs. When it’s fun it’s fun but it needed like 6 more months in the oven. I think I’m going to shelve it until a patch stabilizes the frame rate and fixes stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/southafao/status/1200072167087656962?s=21

https://twitter.com/southafao/status/1200083965866065921?s=21

I'm relieved to see these tbh because I thought it was my PC finally getting into middle age. Do you also get the thing where it freezes for 10 seconds or so at a time, sometimes in cutscenes while the audio still plays?

The funniest one for me was when I met the mysterious stranger on Dathomir, only his robe and head loaded, then to my horror I realised he had a robed and body-having brother waving its hands around in the corner of the screen. Eventually after the cutscene they both loaded as fully solid entities, so I shoved them into each other and they both looked at each other and screamed in unison

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm relieved to see these tbh because I thought it was my PC finally getting into middle age. Do you also get the thing where it freezes for 10 seconds or so at a time, sometimes in cutscenes while the audio still plays?

The funniest one for me was when I met the mysterious stranger on Dathomir, only his robe and head loaded, then to my horror I realised he had a robed and body-having brother waving its hands around in the corner of the screen. Eventually after the cutscene they both loaded as fully solid entities, so I shoved them into each other and they both looked at each other and screamed in unison

Lmao. No, I don’t have any freezing except minor stuff when the level is still being loaded like at the beginning of the second video

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

As for positive things about games, I’m really enjoying that Disco Elysium lets you role play as a parapsychologist with a fascination with the occult who insists that that every unusual aspect of every case has a supernatural explanation, much to the exasperation of your straightlaced stick-in-the-mud partner.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

He’s not little but Kim is something in a game that I love.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

He’s not little but Kim is something in a game that I love.

When I first brought up the possibility that there might be something otherworldly about the case I got a quest to convince him that paranormal forces are at work in the game’s central mystery, and I can’t wait to finally make him see the light.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I loved that Disco Elysium gives you a wide scope for what sort of cop you are without making Harry a blank slate player avatar. Dude's a character whichever path you go down.
There were a ton of dialogue choices that made me laugh out loud

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

When I first brought up the possibility that there might be something otherworldly about the case I got a quest to convince him that paranormal forces are at work in the game’s central mystery, and I can’t wait to finally make him see the light.

One thing I really love is the game encourages you to go weird with your dialogue choices rather than treat normal and boring as the "canon" protagonist. Even Kim runs with it, because it puts people off-kilter and makes them open up to the real questions better.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game also taunts you for picking the straightforward options frequently by giving you a 'perk' that explicitly pokes fun at you for being boring

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm enjoying Jinx so made a video of me playing a level. I've not played it before as the levels stay done when you leave so the puzzles would have been solved/keys used, and I wanted to show a fresh run. However I also play really badly, and end up going in a circle at one point due to how the checkpoints work plus the door closing behind me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSGnlFlxbSw

I do like that each non-cherry bomb item has a unique effect, like the thunder cloud is shown, but there is also a Hole that you can put in the level and an enemy can fall into it. The problem is you can too so you need to be careful where you use it. The game has some strategy in the item use if you want to use some of them. Also most characters you meet have a sidequest, so it's kind of cute that the chef just asks you to help someone else and then makes you dinner (aka refills your health) for letting him cower in his corner. I'm also looking forward to seeing what that secret does when I unlock it in a later level. The colours are more vibrant in the actual game too, they got muted by the editing process so the textures don't look as nice as they could. I've lost a lot of lives playing like an idiot. I had 7 2 levels ago.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Nov 29, 2019

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The game also taunts you for picking the straightforward options frequently by giving you a 'perk' that explicitly pokes fun at you for being boring

I got sorry cop at first cause I felt so bad about harry having caused so much trouble

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/hcQ0t35.mp4
Somehow in my first MGSV playthrough I never even noticed you could make inflatable decoys that play a couple voice clips, they're now one of my favorite items with many entertaining uses both in and out of combat

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Kingdom Hearts 3: Woody totally owns that lamer Young Xehanort.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Swinging around in the new Spider-Man is sheer joy and it’s going to take me ages to beat this because I spend so much time in between objectives just swinging around and being Spider-Man.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

Swinging around in the new Spider-Man is sheer joy and it’s going to take me ages to beat this because I spend so much time in between objectives just swinging around and being Spider-Man.
It's really good. It pushes the same buttons for me that Sleeping Dogs did.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I don't know what's wrong with me but I was really looking forward to that aspect of the game (the basic act of getting around in Prototype was just a blast) and I was completely disappointed by it. Like it felt too automatic I guess? I didn't feel like I was doing cool things so much as sitting there watching Spider-Man doing cool things on his own. The combat had much of the same feel.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I dunno, they hit the perfect balance for me of automated but feeling like I was in control. I played the whole game twice the year it came out based on how perfect it felt, which I rarely do.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Triarii posted:

I don't know what's wrong with me but I was really looking forward to that aspect of the game (the basic act of getting around in Prototype was just a blast) and I was completely disappointed by it. Like it felt too automatic I guess? I didn't feel like I was doing cool things so much as sitting there watching Spider-Man doing cool things on his own. The combat had much of the same feel.

I thought it was pretty automatic and then I learned all the ways to zip to specific points and boost my speed and then it was like just the right level of involved where it was fun and challenging without being demanding. Zipping around the city was super relaxing once I got it down.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The actual movement is more or less automatic but once you get a feel for the physics and unlock some the other movement abilities like using a web to slingshot around corners etc you can really start doing tricks under your own power. You can get from point a to point b just by holding and R2 and pointing the thumb stick towards the objective but you can do it faster and more stylishly if you put more into it. The whole game is the least “watching my character do cool things instead of doing cool things myself” of all the western Sony stuff

E: what Ugly in the Morning said

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Triarii posted:

There's some subtleties to it, which you'll find if you do some of the crazier web-swinging challenges. You can get a surprising amount of control. But a lot of it's contextual and it can be a little frustrating if you want something more manual. Have you played Skate 3? It does some cool stuff with giving you a lot of manual control of the board and your character.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's some subtleties to it, which you'll find if you do some of the crazier web-swinging challenges. You can get a surprising amount of control. But a lot of it's contextual and it can be a little frustrating if you want something more manual. Have you played Skate 3? It does some cool stuff with giving you a lot of manual control of the board and your character.

I ended up skipping most of the optional content so I never did any of the challenges that would've demanded using the special movement options, which meant that most of them just felt like "press an extra button to do a neat little thing in certain contexts" and that didn't help much with the baseline feeling of non-control that I was struggling with.

And I have actually never played any skateboarding game at all! Kinda weird actually.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://i.imgur.com/hcQ0t35.mp4
Somehow in my first MGSV playthrough I never even noticed you could make inflatable decoys that play a couple voice clips, they're now one of my favorite items with many entertaining uses both in and out of combat

Boy, those are lovely voice clips though. They sound like that monotone dweeb from 24 instead of Snake.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Boy, those are lovely voice clips though. They sound like that monotone dweeb from 24 instead of Snake.

Haha yeah....the disappointing undercurrent running through all the goofy stuff in the game

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I liked Sutherland as Venom. No disrespect to David Hayter but whenever I need a good laugh I always imagine Hayter performing the “scatter your sorrow to the heartless sea” speech

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
David Hayter was a perfect Snake because the writing in those games is so awful and dumb you need someone who acts as hard, and yet as poorly as Hayter. Sutherland's acting is juuuuust good enough to highlight how dogshit Kojima's plots are, but not good enough to overcome them. It's like hearing Bill Pullman read Sonic fanfiction.

oh my god now i need to see if bill pullman is on cameo, i have a beautiful idea

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

In Stars Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, when you go to finally get the holocron and experience the vision of the Zeffo, the Zeffo Sage is speaking to you, but he is being echoed by other Zeffo that are speaking through the monuments you've seen in your quest so far. The monuments look in your direction and follow you as you move toward the Sage, which was extremely unnerving to me. It definitely helped with the sense that a long-dead race is speaking to you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I liked Sutherland as Venom. No disrespect to David Hayter but whenever I need a good laugh I always imagine Hayter performing the “scatter your sorrow to the heartless sea” speech

Oh I'm very conflicted, because I like him as the quiet protagonist, and he fits well for the more somber/tragic parts of the story and where it feels like he's trying to mask his confusion at his role in it. But then there's all the weird-rear end poo poo sprinkled through the game, and he's a lot more hit-or-miss in those parts, like Hayter Snake voicing these decoys would be a million times better.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I always thought the game should have ended with real Big Boss showing up, voiced by Hayter

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nostradingus posted:

I always thought the game should have ended with real Big Boss showing up, voiced by Hayter

This would have been great. And playing the original Bowie version of The Man Who Sold the World instead of the Midge Ure cover

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

Oh yeah, if they had managed to pull that off somehow without tanking it from the start, it would've been one of the best things ever. Oh well, I still love the game, despite its production decisions and limitations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Goddammit, Bill Pullman isn't on Cameo. :(

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The big difference in Spider-Man for players who are / aren't all that jazzed with it is that there's very little you "have" to do in the game. It's easy enough to get by with nothing more than the basics so it's up to you to tease out the coolest moves and combos.

The 'PYF little thing's about that for me is that often during the first act the game will openly invite you to enjoy some free time and Spider-Man will comment that the next thing he has to do isn't happening for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The Spider-Man game is the only one I've ever gotten all the trophies for, even the DLC stuff. That game hit all the right spots.