Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Hollow Talk posted:

I get what you mean, but this sounds like an excellent way to ensure at it's really "leave it be, forever". Obviously, legacy code might exist for a reason, but I find it hardly surprising that somebody with fresh eyes doesn't magically settle into all the detritus they encounter.

To be honest it’s usually people underestimating the codebase and not seeing the big picture / implications of changing specific pieces of code.

A lot of our dev work goes to refactoring stuff so it can be used for multiple teams. Most competent devs take their time to get familiar with the codebase before suggesting major changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

LochNessMonster posted:

To be honest it’s usually people underestimating the codebase and not seeing the big picture / implications of changing specific pieces of code.

A lot of our dev work goes to refactoring stuff so it can be used for multiple teams. Most competent devs take their time to get familiar with the codebase before suggesting major changes.

Isn't this more of a issue of monolithic app dev in general?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sickening posted:

Isn't this more of a issue of monolithic app dev in general?

Definately. Microservices are a lot easier to comprehend but come with their own issues.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm hoping that at my new work location I'll learn some cutting edge security techniques...

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Hmm that post got more responses than I expected, gotta go through them.

The Iron Rose posted:

so I'm genuinely curious what that billing breakdown looks like. 75k for cloud routers alone? i'm mostly familiar with them in gcp where you only pay for the networking costs - how the heck did you price that out?

We use a product called Aviatrix to automate attaching all of the AWS VPCs to AWS TGW and shared routing table in GCP, which also orchestrates firewall attachment, routing tables, and withdrawing routes when there is an instance failure at the firewall/router level. They're charging .16c/hr per attachment to their "cloud routers" (called Aviatrix Gateways) per hour, and we have a not-insignificant amount of attachments.

Twat Waffle posted:

That being said, I'm interested in the FRR use-case. Does it keep you from having to go with a spoke and hub architecture, or are there some other benefits?

It's still hub and spoke to Transit Gateway / GCP Global Routing table. We can't next hop directly to the Palo Altos because you would have to source-nat when scaling out. If we put FRR routers as the next hop we can get ECMP to the Palo's for scale out without having to source-nat.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

How did you get to where you are now? Your posts sound like you work on some really cool poo poo.

Bounced around a lot. Worked for a VAR, then an ISP doing backend wireless infrastructure (carrier grade routing hardware and cisco WLCs) , then into infrastructure security and wireless for a VAR, then as a SME in wireless, and back to infrastructure security. Where I work now used to be a client of my old employer. They came to us with a tough project and all of the other professional services companies we're afraid to take an engagement deploying a Transit VPC (at the time it was very poorly documented and super hokey) so we took it, I built it, and they hired me 2 years later to move away from it because their old network guys broke it after I handed it off.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 27, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm hoping that at my new work location I'll learn some cutting edge security techniques...

Bad news, I'm afraid:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

That might explain why the pastries in the breakroom are a day old. :(

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Sepist posted:

Bounced around a lot. Worked for a VAR, then an ISP doing backend wireless infrastructure (carrier grade routing hardware and cisco WLCs) , then into infrastructure security and wireless for a VAR, then as a SME in wireless, and back to infrastructure security. Where I work now used to be a client of my old employer. They came to us with a tough project and all of the other professional services companies we're afraid to take an engagement deploying a Transit VPC (at the time it was very poorly documented and super hokey) so we took it, I built it, and they hired me 2 years later to move away from it because their old network guys broke it after I handed it off.

Thanks. Did you do any certs along the way?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Thanks. Did you do any certs along the way?

CCNP, PCNSE, lot of random sales certs, and CISSP

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wooooo I got approved for another SANS course. Those crooks are charging 8k USD now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My plan is to go to my grave untouched by certs.

In the last ten years I have had a grand total of zero requests to attend conferences approved, including ones that were free.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

In the last ten years I have had a grand total of zero requests to attend conferences approved, including ones that were free.

That sucks rear end. My workplaces have always been very supportive of all that. I would estimate that the conferences/training I get easily adds 20k/year to my compensation. The only catch at my current public sector career is that we're limited on travel, we can't go to "fun" destinations like Vegas :( It's all about optics, sigh. This next SANS course is in Seattle, which they consider boring lmao

e: is my avatar hosed up for anyone else hahahaha

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CLAM DOWN posted:

That sucks rear end. My workplaces have always been very supportive of all that. I would estimate that the conferences/training I get easily adds 20k/year to my compensation. The only catch at my current public sector career is that we're limited on travel, we can't go to "fun" destinations like Vegas :( It's all about optics, sigh. This next SANS course is in Seattle, which they consider boring lmao

It's not the avatar necessarily, but your username and/or mod tag. Yes it is fantastically broken though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I miss doing deskside and was moved to a coding position. Which is fine but there is a lot to learn and catch up on. Deskside was loving simple. Dead end perhaps but it paid well. This pays a bit more and I suppose more secure. Perhaps no one really knows the answer but... do you see deskside going away? Regular users will always need assistance as they have more important things to deal with.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I have to provide business justification in order to go to out of state conferences. I normally only go to Cisco live but its gonna be a hard sell since we dont have Cisco. If re:invent wasnt so close to when the baby arrived I would have probably tried to weasel that one

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I hate them too but I'm trying to find somewhere new and I'm getting the impression they don't believe the work I've done in the past year because I have no CCNA or CCNP, and got some gaps because we're all on prem so I've got no cloud experience, for example.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Hate that crap, going to dodge as many as I can.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
We get $3,000 CAN a year for education and certification. Maybe only 10% of staff uses it which is probably why everyone still gets 3k a year.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bonzo posted:

We get $3,000 CAN a year for education and certification. Maybe only 10% of staff uses it which is probably why everyone still gets 3k a year.

That's definitely one of the reasons I get to spend so much money on poo poo like SANS courses. Hardly anyone uses the training budget, I'm all gung ho on this stuff so I get to use all the money that gets earmarked for others I guess. Fine by me.

Also yeah most certs sucks but I definitely consider SANS/GIAC an exception, when it comes to infosec.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I mean there is niche stuff like you said but I think education is more important because vendors come and go, but concepts are timeless.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

We have a training budget and I was told to look at stuff, so I picked some MS server certs. I was told that since my job is helpdesk I couldn't do the server ones. :waycool:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

We have a training budget and I was told to look at stuff, so I picked some MS server certs. I was told that since my job is helpdesk I couldn't do the server ones. :waycool:

well, that place sucks

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Inspector_666 posted:

Well that's garbage.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
lmao wow

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Inspector_666 posted:

Sounds like code for, "We know it's hell to work here and if you certify as an Admin you'll leave"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

What a garbage employer

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Inspector_666 posted:

Sounds like my experience at $old_job.

"Since you want me to manage the linux side of things, you could send me on a course and get some education and a cert"
"Not until you do an ITIL course"
"Sure no problem"

The Director saw ITIL courses as punishment for bad behaviour, so my enthusiastic response killed everything stone dead.
I don't know how that particular department is apparently the best IT department in the entire organisation across five continents, the other ones must be virtually non-existent.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Vintersorg posted:

Perhaps no one really knows the answer but... do you see deskside going away? Regular users will always need assistance as they have more important things to deal with.
Considering people still request basic poo poo like "Tidy up cables under the desk", probably not.

I'm also enjoying the painful irony of trying to research a fix for a JIRA issue, when Atlassian's own sites are all sorts of janked up.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Super Slash posted:

Considering people still request basic poo poo like "Tidy up cables under the desk", probably not.

Yep, 90% of my deskside job can be done remotely, but the last 10% is either physical stuff like cable management, or interviewing users about what it exactly is that they want, since most of them can't communicate by e-mail in a manner that is not incomprehensible hostile flat-eartherism.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

Yep, 90% of my deskside job can be done remotely, but the last 10% is either physical stuff like cable management, or interviewing users about what it exactly is that they want, since most of them can't communicate by e-mail in a manner that is not incomprehensible hostile flat-eartherism.

Yea, I think there is always gonna be deskside support in IT, purely because there is a not insignificant portion of people who cant clearly communicate their problem and accurately follow directions, and some of them are executive types. The question is , in ten years will these people still be employees of the company or be some flavor of contractor?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Yea, I think there is always gonna be deskside support in IT, purely because there is a not insignificant portion of people who cant clearly communicate their problem and accurately follow directions, and some of them are executive types. The question is , in ten years will these people still be employees of the company or be some flavor of contractor?

I don’t think any of that really is specific to the position. The issue is more of how companies treat lower skill labor in general.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Vintersorg posted:

I miss doing deskside and was moved to a coding position. Which is fine but there is a lot to learn and catch up on. Deskside was loving simple. Dead end perhaps but it paid well. This pays a bit more and I suppose more secure. Perhaps no one really knows the answer but... do you see deskside going away? Regular users will always need assistance as they have more important things to deal with.

I don’t see it going away, but it certainly is getting centralized.

We have all but done away with drop-in support offices in favor of remote support over shared sessions. Every building used to have an IT office. Then hours were cut back to half days. Then half days alternating days. It’s now one strategically situated building has an IT office and the rest of us have to go there for support if we can’t get it done remotely.

Desktop support is one of the most overhead-y of IT overhead and it eternally remains a place cut cut cornerscosts.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 29, 2019

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

I just had a user email me on Wednesday, "I need an SD card". That was the entire email. Replied asking for some details because I have no idea what it's going to be used for, or what capacity they want. I get a reply back that says "Normal SD card" and then 5 minutes later, "Any storage size".

He sends one more email less than 10 minutes later to forget it because he's just going to go to Walgreens and get one lol

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I don’t think any of that really is specific to the position. The issue is more of how companies treat lower skill non-management labor in general.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Agrikk posted:

I don’t see it going away, but it certainly is getting centralized.

We have all but done away with drop-in support offices in favor of remote support over shared sessions. Every building used to have an IT office. Then hours were cut back to half days. Then half days alternating days. It’s now one strategically situated building has an IT office and the rest of us have to go there for support if we can’t get it done remotely.

Desktop support is one of the most overhead-y of IT overhead and it eternally remains a place cut cut cornerscosts.

I completely agree with this post, and have seen similar trends at my company over the last 5 years alone.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

cage-free egghead posted:

I just had a user email me on Wednesday, "I need an SD card". That was the entire email. Replied asking for some details because I have no idea what it's going to be used for, or what capacity they want. I get a reply back that says "Normal SD card" and then 5 minutes later, "Any storage size".

He sends one more email less than 10 minutes later to forget it because he's just going to go to Walgreens and get one lol

My favorite one I got was "I need a windows vm" nevermind our dev team works on three versions of windows not including the militaries special version of windows. No Ram, no processor requirements, nothing.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gave a user an upgraded laptop this morning. Get a message just now "cant connect to wifi after undocking". Apparently she didn't actually try to connect, thought it would be automatic. Go ahead and try I say. "You're a genius!".

Have a good weekend dudes

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

cage-free egghead posted:

Assuming that an sd card is not a usual part of your equipment list, doesn't a request like that make you nervous?

Like we someone asks to borrow a screwdriver: the request itself is perfectly innocuous but you can't help but panic about what they are going to unscrew with it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

wrong thread

Sickening fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Shut up Meg posted:

Assuming that an sd card is not a usual part of your equipment list, doesn't a request like that make you nervous?

Like we someone asks to borrow a screwdriver: the request itself is perfectly innocuous but you can't help but panic about what they are going to unscrew with it.

I know they use a GoPro to view hard to reach spots of some of their equipments but I thought it was funny just how non-descript it was.