Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
“Monster Craze Memoirs" creeps, and leaps, and glides across the floor, right through the door, and all around the floor this week for "The Blob," a 1958 classic of regional independent filmmaking. Delving into the film's uncommon intimacy, my father and I also speculate on its veiled Christian subtext.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/31936213

Also available on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-3949861/when-the-blob-comes-around

Also on YouTube: https://youtu.be/nK_nx_bIqtE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
so I saw this and realized joe bob sucks rear end

https://twitter.com/therealjoebob/status/1199802820289011712?s=19

and THEN i found out he writes for a nazi rag about feeling bad for nazis. jesus christ

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The only appropriate response to any Joe Bob tweet is "OK Boomer".

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Timeless Appeal posted:

Watched Gremlins post Thanksgiving dinner, and my favorite part of the movie is the confidence that movie has with its score. Like it knows it's a big deal. Like they slowly build to the iconic theme throughout the movie and then the first big kill happens and the score finally fully kicks in and it's great.

Have to ask though... does anyone know if there was ever a version of the movie's script where Billy's like twelve?

Yeah, Billy was originally intended to be younger. For some reason they didn't age up his best friend when they made that change, so now he just hangs out with a twelve-year old despite being like twenty.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

has anyone seen boar is it good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

lmao Deep Red was released in Japan as Suspiria 2

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Not bad, not great. Moseley and Jarrett are fun in it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Almost Blue posted:

Yeah, Billy was originally intended to be younger. For some reason they didn't age up his best friend when they made that change, so now he just hangs out with a twelve-year old despite being like twenty.

And he still lives at home in the 80s, and the best scientific authority figure he knows is a high school biology teacher. It's a little strange.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I ordered the Spookies Blu Ray and I can't wait to see what they do with it. I have very vivid memories of renting that movie when I was 7 or 8 from the Flying J gas station and it gave me nightmares for years. The back story to the movie is just a plus.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gripweed posted:

Stares in East Asian Action Movie

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kvlt! posted:

It's okay, but just watch Razorback instead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Holy poo poo Mike Flanagan is awful.

Serious Party Gods posted:

One of these days he's going to encounter someone who's gonna light HIS rear end up.

Definitely but you know what? That's urbex baby!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
^Mike Flanagan is perfectly fine.^

Lurdiak posted:

And he still lives at home in the 80s, and the best scientific authority figure he knows is a high school biology teacher. It's a little strange.
I don't really mind the living at home part because they do justify that he is basically supporting his family. I also come from a family where everyone just lived at home until they married. My wife's read is that he's eighteen which I think checks out okay enough, and justifies how he would know Corey Feldman's character and still have a connection to the teacher. I love Gremlins, but something I've become aware of in media is the fact that creators often come from well-off backgrounds--Like Dante did-- and are kind of approximating what it's like to be poor. The movie states that they don't have money, but you don't feel it the way you do in It's a Wonderful Life which the film pays homage to.

On the Billy originally being younger end of things, the strangest thing for me is the little robot toy in the stocking that is clearly meant for Billy which leads to a really good scare, but really doesn't make sense.

It's also a bummer we didn't get the Santa monologue from a twelve year old girl.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 29, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I never really had a problem with Billy's age. Like I always kind of read it simply enough as it almost being a coming of age story. He didn't go to college or get married super young or something to jump start him out of his parents' house, his parents still kind of treat him like a kid and his dad buys him toys, and he hasn't figured his poo poo out yet and figured out how to be an "adult" fully yet.

Now when I think about it, yeah, it seems obvious Billy was supposed to be a teenager and they just aged him up for some reason. But like, I think it works fine.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 30, 2019

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm in my 30's and still haven't totally figured my poo poo out or how to be an adult yet. But I guess modern Late Stage Capitalism is a little different than the 80's, when you still had hope and opportunities (and Reaganomics rapidly loving everything up but still).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, no one actually ever finishes figuring out their poo poo. But there's specifically that period where you have to decide to wash your own underwear and cook your own breakfast and some people get there faster than others.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

I'm in my 30's and still haven't totally figured my poo poo out or how to be an adult yet. But I guess modern Late Stage Capitalism is a little different than the 80's, when you still had hope and opportunities (and Reaganomics rapidly loving everything up but still).

Lol, when Gremlins was filmed the country had just pulled out or a major recession, but whatever.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Hot off of watching A Bulldog for Christmas, I felt the compulsion to check out one of Henrique Couto's other films, which led to watching Christmas Presence. The villain design is surprisingly memorable for such a low-budget five-minute movie (even if it is just a minor twist on Santa's usual appearance), but the real stand-out is the lead actress, who threw me for a loop with how much she looked like Jessica Harper.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Man The Lighthouse rules.

Literally everything in the film to the mumbled old salt dialogue to the sound design to the weirdly claustrophobic aspect ratio works together to create a film that is somehow simultaneously extremely focused AND rambling. I think I still prefer The VVitch but this is no sophomore slump.

also Willem Dafoe farts A LOT.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Very late to the party on this one, but I finally watched IT Chapter 2 and really enjoyed it. I think Chapter 1 was a better movie, but i liked 2 more. I'm also easy to please and not turned off by mainstream horror gimmicks. I also think it did the best job it could with the source material tbh.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Watched Thankskilling for the first time yesterday. How amazingly stupid and wonderful.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Gripweed posted:

haha, it was released two years before Suspiria too. It would've made a lot more sense to give that title to Inferno.

Darthemed posted:

Hot off of watching A Bulldog for Christmas, I felt the compulsion to check out one of Henrique Couto's other films, which led to watching Christmas Presence. The villain design is surprisingly memorable for such a low-budget five-minute movie (even if it is just a minor twist on Santa's usual appearance), but the real stand-out is the lead actress, who threw me for a loop with how much she looked like Jessica Harper.

wow yeah I totally that that was her looking at the thumbnail

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hickory never bleeds was loving dope.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Found a copy of The Howling II on DVD today and added it to my collection. I guess it has a reputation in a Troll 2 kind of way, but I don't remember ever seeing it (unless it was on Up All Night years ago), so I'm excited.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

mikeycp posted:

so I saw this and realized joe bob sucks rear end

https://twitter.com/therealjoebob/status/1199802820289011712?s=19

and THEN i found out he writes for a nazi rag about feeling bad for nazis. jesus christ

Directors in the 70's and 80's not having a message in their movies is a loving WILD take

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

el oso posted:

Directors in the 70's and 80's not having a message in their movies is a loving WILD take

I think it's more when it comes to the message films of the 70s and 80s, they still took the care to present a good story along with the message. Many more recent message films tend to sacrifice story while pushing the message so heavy handed it's as if the director and writers think the audience has the attention span of a goldfish.

For example, look at Prophecy and The Bay. Both deal with environmental damage from lovely factory practices with an evil business head focused on profit rather than the evidence showing the factory's run off is loving things up and killing people. Prophecy handles it that if you stripped the message from the movie, you still have a pretty solid monster movie. The Bay has to keep hammering 'Company BAD! Owner BAD!' as if the viewer is not only clueless that yes, the company is bad and the owner's a shithead, but the viewer needs to be reminded of this frequently otherwise they might somehow forget.

Joe Bob expressed this in the worst way possible on the worst platform possible to the degree it makes my head hurt.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Subtlety is for cowards.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/ruinedurnight/status/1200626548954607616?s=20

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think it's more when it comes to the message films of the 70s and 80s, they still took the care to present a good story along with the message. Many more recent message films tend to sacrifice story while pushing the message so heavy handed it's as if the director and writers think the audience has the attention span of a goldfish.

For example, look at Prophecy and The Bay. Both deal with environmental damage from lovely factory practices with an evil business head focused on profit rather than the evidence showing the factory's run off is loving things up and killing people. Prophecy handles it that if you stripped the message from the movie, you still have a pretty solid monster movie. The Bay has to keep hammering 'Company BAD! Owner BAD!' as if the viewer is not only clueless that yes, the company is bad and the owner's a shithead, but the viewer needs to be reminded of this frequently otherwise they might somehow forget.
You're narrowing on a relatively lovely film though instead of stuff like Get Out, Us, V/H/S, Parasite, The Babadook, You're Next, It Follows, and Anti-Viral.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Timeless Appeal posted:

You're narrowing on a relatively lovely film though instead of stuff like Get Out, Us, V/H/S, Parasite, The Babadook, You're Next, It Follows, and Anti-Viral.

I said many, not all. Films like Get Out and Us don't sacrifice story for the message.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

I said many, not all. Films like Get Out and Us don't sacrifice story for the message.
I guess what I really meant is that I struggle to find it to be a trend, and inversely have found message horror to provide some of the strongest horror in years.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Boinks posted:

Found a copy of The Howling II on DVD today and added it to my collection. I guess it has a reputation in a Troll 2 kind of way, but I don't remember ever seeing it (unless it was on Up All Night years ago), so I'm excited.

One name is all you need to know: REB. loving. BROWN.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0GmwraytVM

Let’s see what Ebert had to say about the movie:

quote:

The scene where [Sybil Danning] rips open her dress is repeated twice during the closing credits, "providing the movie with its second and third interesting moments."

I don’t know what other movie features Christopher Lee sleepwalking through his role fighting “werewolves” that are basically dudes wearing rugs though

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Bay is a much better movie than Prophecy, and it’s bizarre to say a good movie is one where you can easily ‘strip out the message’.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There’s something almost impressive in how he doesn’t have any idea of what a ghost is, yet keeps making ghost movies.

Like, a ghost is when some rear end in a top hat’s just standing over there, in a brightly-lit room, and someone tells you “that’s the guy who died.” And that’s it. He treats concepts like ‘memory’ as if he’s only experienced them third-hand.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Bay rules. I had to tap out on Flanagan’s Hill House after one episode, he’s the worst

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

did you get around to watching We Have Always Lived in the Castle?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

watching people itt go from loving flanagan to saying he sucks is the best holiday gift you all could give me :')

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

david_a posted:

One name is all you need to know: REB. loving. BROWN.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0GmwraytVM

Let’s see what Ebert had to say about the movie:

I don’t know what other movie features Christopher Lee sleepwalking through his role fighting “werewolves” that are basically dudes wearing rugs though

Howling 2 rules because it introduces the concept of werewolves that are so werewolfy that you have to use platinum bullets to kill them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There’s something almost impressive in how he doesn’t have any idea of what a ghost is, yet keeps making ghost movies.

Like, a ghost is when some rear end in a top hat’s just standing over there, in a brightly-lit room, and someone tells you “that’s the guy who died.” And that’s it. He treats concepts like ‘memory’ as if he’s only experienced them third-hand.

I'm almost impressed that he managed to film a pedophile cult graphically torturing and murdering a child on screen in the most literal way possible. And I don't mean this like matter of fact, fly on the wall, abrupt, shocking, sociopathic, like Haneke or something. I mean like a commercial for a law firm. Just like, yeah, that's what I'm sure seeing. Wonder when the next scene is?

Kvlt! posted:

watching people itt go from loving flanagan to saying he sucks is the best holiday gift you all could give me :')

I've thought the dude was a hack since Oculus but his preposterous take on Haunting of Hill House was admittedly fun enough for me to watch more than once.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don’t see how you can muster the emotion to hate Flanagan. I liked Hush and Geralds Game just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Drunkboxer posted:

I don’t see how you can muster the emotion to hate Flanagan. I liked Hush and Geralds Game just fine.

I don't hate him at all, I just think his style of directing is fascinatingly bad.