Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Kurui Reiten posted:

So why is exactly is Snout holding out his hand, twisted 90 degrees clockwise, as opposed to palm up?

Is this some new, Wild Edge reverse hand shake?

A sign language thing unique to the Deeganverse?

Yet another sign Mookie is a terrible artist?

the world may never know...

the orc is holding the page, i think. snout's holding out his hand, wanting the page to be given to him.

the rest is just... mookie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Kurui Reiten posted:

So why is exactly is Snout holding out his hand, twisted 90 degrees clockwise, as opposed to palm up?

Is this some new, Wild Edge reverse hand shake?

A sign language thing unique to the Deeganverse?

Yet another sign Mookie is a terrible artist?

the world may never know...

The orc is Stonewater, who's lived for 200+ years because he uses his ice magic to stop his own meat from spoiling.

Snout's wrist is messed up because, uh, well, you know what Stonewater does to peoples' wrists.

someone awful. posted:

the orc is holding the page, i think. snout's holding out his hand, wanting the page to be given to him.

the rest is just... mookie.

EDIT: I think what he means is if the palm is up, we shouldn't be able to see the top of it since the camera is at a 90 degree angle, because Mookie learned everything about art from watching Chuck Lorre sitcoms. We should just see the side of his hand.

Also god drat, the main's literally got his hand out looking to be handed the plot coupons. Being dragged there by the magic arrow wasn't enough. By the end, swarms of spiders are going to be moving Snout's jaw to chew his food for him.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 27, 2019

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Today I met a telepathic orc wizard.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ague Proof posted:

Today I met a telepathic orc wizard.

Is he actually telepathic? Are we going to get more "not dialogue"?

Invisible Clergy posted:

The orc is Stonewater, who's lived for 200+ years because he uses his ice magic to stop his own meat from spoiling.

Snout's wrist is messed up because, uh, well, you know what Stonewater does to peoples' wrists.

Oh gently caress this is actually the "heroic rapist" isn't it

Why would he bring this guy back of all loving people

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Stonewater's gonna rescue and revive the Ink Witch... with his dick!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Everything about that arm and hand irritates me.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm honestly ok with the hand. Hands are loving hard, even professional artists mess them up sometimes.

The arm, though, is inexcusable. It's amazing he thought this was ok to upload.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Invisible Clergy posted:

because he uses his ice magic to stop his own meat from spoiling.
wat

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's really not worth speculating what Mookie's bad idea will be, or who this character is. He hasn't decided yet.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Surprise it's nobody and he's gone.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wait until it’s revealed that he’s the descendant of the orcs involved in you-know-what.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And another scene rolls to a stop.

I hate this.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

imagine a comic book paced like this. So little happens page to page, except for those pages when all the tension resolved instantly.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh phew, he almost had dialogue in this story COMPLETELY WITHOUT DIALOGUE.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Alakantar posted:

Coming fresh off of the last bits of the last Classic Deegan mock threads (For whatever reason, I stopped reading them around the desert of Eldariat TO DIE. Gotta keep up with the Mookieverse canon, after all.), this new thing is absolutely glacial. In his news post to start this up, he’s talking about a new cast having new adventures. Are we going to be here for another decade? And how long is he going to keep up the kinda-sorta-not dialogue?

I’m glad he’s at least doing something other than 8 panels and not poorly laid out mindscape pages.

Got a link to the old threads? I’d love a trip down memory lane.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Got a link to the old threads? I’d love a trip down memory lane.

Comically enough I grepped IRC logs for "Dominic Deegan" after a URL and the result I picked linked to one of your posts in the final thread!

First thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3279023

Second thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386525

Third (and final) thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459522

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol this post from 2010 still as applicable:

fuzzy_logic posted:

I finally figured out what bothers me about the mongrelman characters - Mookie's falling into a really common, ingrained human prejudice, ie, "physical deformity/disability => mental/intellectual inferiority." He has these super ugly hybrid creatures, and automatically they're loving stupid and backwards as poo poo. What would be MILES more interesting would be a hideous bunch of deformed creatures who are, say, incredibly gifted bards, or brilliant storytellers or mages or some poo poo. But no, they're basically retarded caveman-children. Has he never heard of hybrid vigour? These guys act more like INBRED mutants than chimaeras or whatever.

Mookie is a bad storyteller. So bad, in fact, that by taking notes on the EXACT OPPOSITE of what he does, I'm coming up with interesting ideas for characters. Seriously, I hope lovely webcomics writers never stop being lovely, and SA never stops mocking them because it is HELPING ME IMPROVE AS AN ARTIST. You could seriously teach a class on "what not to do" using this crap and have people learn a TON.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Alright, so I’ve recently been reading some books on writing, and one of the major things that’s stuck with me is that (roughly paraphrasing) every single paragraph, line of dialogue, etc. should be written to have at least some kind of a hook that makes the audience want to read the next one, and so on and so forth for the whole story.

With a comic like this, I’d say that each page is roughly analogous to a paragraph... In which case, this strip is basically a do-nothing paragraph that fails to really give the reader any reason to be concerned, intrigued, or anything for Snout, because it’s clearly supposed to be the first half (or third, quarter...) of what should have been a single, continuous page that’s been hacked into multiple pages. And it’s really obvious that it’s only happening because Mookie’s apparently got this drip-feed strip format nailed down in his head from the original Deegan days.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

What you quoted is an edit that is implying Snout's being punched in the balls in the final panel.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Oh gently caress me, I thought it was supposed to be a montage of him going to different past locations and getting summarily rejected until he lucks out on the final one.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

On the other hand you could literally have quoted any real page and your post would have still applied.

The power of Mookie!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

TheHan posted:

Surprise it's nobody and he's gone.

The gently caress is this? So the orc was just to screw with us, the audience.....again.

Damnit Mookie.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Comically enough I grepped IRC logs for "Dominic Deegan" after a URL and the result I picked linked to one of your posts in the final thread!

First thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3279023

Second thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386525

Third (and final) thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459522

Well ain't that a blast from the past.

If you're gonna make any sense of those threads you need to fix the broken Waffleimages links, so I made a quick greasemonkey script to fix them. I think the awful app already does something like this.

JavaScript code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name     WaffleImages Fixer
// @version  1
//
// @include https://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// ==/UserScript==

function getNewUrl(url) {
  var match = url.match(/http:\/\/img\.waffleimages\.com\/([0-9a-fA-F]+)\/.+\.([a-zA-Z]+)/);
  if (match) {
    var hash = match[1];
    var extension = match[2].substring(0, 3).toLowerCase();
    return `https://randomwaffle.gbs.fm/images/${hash.substring(0, 2)}/${hash}.${extension}`;
  } else {
    return url
  }
}

document.querySelectorAll('img[src^="http://img.waffleimages.com"]').forEach((elem) => {
  elem.src = getNewUrl(elem.src);
});

document.querySelectorAll('[href^="http://img.waffleimages.com"]').forEach((elem) => {
  elem.href = getNewUrl(elem.href);
});

Van Kraken fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 30, 2019

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is he actually telepathic? Are we going to get more "not dialogue"?

Oh gently caress this is actually the "heroic rapist" isn't it

Why would he bring this guy back of all loving people

Yeah, that was Stonewater. Because Mookie loved him for reasons we uh, shouldn't get into.

Look, dude, Mookie's magic system is hot garbage with no rules, tell me for certain you don't know ice magic can do that.

EDIT: of course I'm loving wrong. It's not Stonewater. It's not anyone. I hate this loving comic.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
We still don't know for sure that it wasn't Stonewater

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I guarantee the orc is going to show up much later and turn out to be some mega-powerful wizard or something that's fulfilling some hackneyed prophecy, or something equally dumb.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Who What Now posted:

We still don't know for sure that it wasn't Stonewater

It was probably one of the death element orc shamen.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So it was an introduction of a new character, then.

Things we know about this character:

- Held a paper for a moment
- Disapeared suddenly

I'm so, so invested in the mystery of this guy and how he ties into the legacy.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I think we’re supposed to be excited that an orc showed up. Cause Mookie still thinks they’re the coolest thing since sliced brevad even though we’ve seen a thousand of them in Dominic Deegan. Legends of the white savior Dominic and Dominic Deegan’s Wife were surely passed down through the generations in orc culture.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Aren't his orcs also a completely unimaginative re-rendering of orcs? Tribal, low-tech, aggressive, etc.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Elysiume posted:

Aren't his orcs also a completely unimaginative re-rendering of orcs? Tribal, low-tech, aggressive, etc.

Ah, but you see they’re vegetarian. Very creative and going against expectations!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Also they’re metalheads or something like that, it’s been forever since I read DD when it was being posted in the bad webcomics thread.

Alakantar
Apr 8, 2009
Aaand new comic.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
:tviv:

That was it?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I just discovered that goatkcd no longer seems to have its "sfw" variant.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
You mean... The Legacy of Dominic Deegan?

Is that, like, jazzhands? :thunk:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mikl posted:

You mean... The Legacy of Dominic Deegan?

Is that, like, jazzhands? :thunk:

"In stores now, $39.99 Hardback. Find the next page for Other Buying Options."

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

“Renowned oracle secretly discovered the end of Prophecy™ hundreds of years ago” should be, like, the initial story hook, not five months in, what the hell :psyduck:

Van Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It isn't much of a legacy if no one anywhere knows about it