Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I was reading through the OP, but I think I have kind of an odd situation and it doesn't seem to fit neatly into the existing buckets there.

So, my dad's network sucks. He has this DOCSIS 2.0 modem from 2009 and this Netgear N600 router from 2010.

Something is really hosed up with the router; if you visit most sites while connected to the wi-fi your browser will tell you that it doesn't have a security certificate or whatever and not let you access it. Here's the error screen that Chrome gives:

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from https://www.google.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Firefox and Edge don't work either. The reason I say it's the router's fault is because if you connect directly to the ethernet port on the modem, that error doesn't happen. However, the modem still sucks poo poo (and the modem + router are upstairs while my dad's computer is downstairs, so that fix is also irrelevant except when my brother and I visit because he doesn't want to move either the modem/router or the computer).

So, I think I ought to replace both his modem and his router for Christmas. If I went off the Wirecutter recommendations, I think I would be overkilling it in terms of power and price. On the modem side, I tried checking the ISP (https://www.wowway.com/support/internet) to see if I could get a list of approved modems, but they're very vague about it. I did find this third-party website with a more specific list here (https://www.approvedmodems.com/wow.html). I think he's currently paying for 300 Mbps internet, but speedtest shows that we're getting something like 30 Mbps (and via Wi-Fi he's getting 10 Mbps).

Let's say that my total budget here is $200-250 (I would also benefit from this set-up being better for the few weeks out of the year that I'm visiting, and I could maybe get my brother to split this gift with me). Does anyone have any recommendations that would make sense here? Thank you!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
FYI, The Wirecutter's router recommendation (TP-Link Archer A20) is available for much cheaper from Costco in its C4000 variant (identical hardware, different firmware) at $130. I just bought it and it's great.

https://www.costco.com/tp-link-archer-c4000-tri-band-wi-fi-router.product.100418449.html

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Not really home networking but I am working on something that might be interesting to this thread.

With winter here I was once again trying to figure out a way to remotely control the engine preheater on my private plane. Cellular switches would have done the job but service is expensive in Canada.

Instead I decided to service an entire hangar complex using point to point networking gear and mesh networking AP’s.

There is lovely internet service at the terminal building and the target area is 350 feet away and the buildings are steel clad.

Point to point link will be Litebeam AC gen 2 and the AP’s will be the UAP-AC-M. Will try to use wired links as much as possible but using the mesh APs because they are just outdoor rated.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Should work a treat for that scenario, since neither bandwidth nor timing are essential. Good luck!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Any recommendations for a WiFi PCI card on a PC? I am moving to a new apartment and at this moment I don't remember if I can run cable from the Shaw modem or not (prob not). Hopefully something that doesn't drop poo poo - used to have an old ASUS usb adapter that hosed me.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I recently got an Airport Extreme for free and it still rules. I feel like on the used market, this must still be one of the best value-for-money AC routers you can buy, no?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I recently got an Airport Extreme for free and it still rules. I feel like on the used market, this must still be one of the best value-for-money AC routers you can buy, no?

I mean, it’s great for free. There are way better routers out there now at and below the price point it had when new. We still use ours because it just works(tm).

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah, I mean it never had real management features to speak of, and there are faster devices with better range. But for something that gives me full access to the lovely 10/100 Comcast plan I'm paying for, it works really well. And I'll take Airport Utility over the Velop app 7 days a week.

eames
May 9, 2009

I use mine as a dumb AP and it is still great. You can even set up a second SSID using the guest network feature, IIRC it gets bridged to VLAN 1003 on Ethernet.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I have two AEBS 802.11ac(s), one I bought as a refurb and another I bought new just before they pulled it off the market. So far I've been keeping the refurb as the active one and holding the other as a live replacement.

I'd been thinking about purchasing an EdgeRouter X and eventually enabling that and turning the AEBS into just an access point, but so far it's performed so well driving five devices on a 200 Gb/sec connection that I haven't felt a need to optimize.

Also, Apple has mysteriously not made any desktops/laptops that exceed the 802.11ac standards (including the brand new 16-inch MacBook Pro), and their only Wi-Fi 6 devices are the iPhone 11 series.

Edit: Apple has also mysteriously issued two firmware updates for the 802.11ac AEBS, well after its announced EOL, the latest was only just this past May. The updates are undocumented security updates, supposedly.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 29, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The TP-Link AC1900 router is on sale atm on Amazon for $68. Any reason my brother shouldn't get that for his new apartment over the AC1750? Link here: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1900-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B07NF3K74H

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It’s only taken me a year since moving in to the new house but I finally have the network fully run including fiber drops to the second floor. Ran the fiber/ethernet into a cabinet in the laundry room. That way 10 years down the road when my kids are teenagers and there are external POE cameras, the cabinet gets locked so they can’t gently caress with them.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Maybe you guys can help me out.

I have FIOS Quantum gigabit and using the G1100 router, however I do not have a way to get ethernet cables from the router to two PCs in another room. This room has a coax connection available to outside that is currently being used by a set-top box. I would like all three things (STB plus two PCs) to have wired speeds.

I understand there are coax-to-ethernet adapters available. However, I also notice that Verizon sells this thing, which seems to have four ethernet ports:

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/equipment/network-adapter

Could I just use a two-way splitter on the coax, hook one end to the STB and one end to this adapter, then just run two ethernet cables from it to get gigabit-esque speeds on both PCs? Or do I have to use a 3-way splitter and two MoCA adapters for best results, which I imagine is the case?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 30, 2019

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Update. Phase one of hangar wifi is in place.

The litebeams have perfect signal strength and worked very well.

My cheap cable tester was not working correctly and as a result wasted a bunch of time and connectors for no reason.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
For some reason, my internet (wired, wireless, all devices) is always extremely slow after a power outage. I average around 400 Mbps, but when this happens, it dips down between 2 and 10 Mbps and stays there for a week or more.

I've tried restarting everything multiple times, and that doesn't work so I'm all out of ideas. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
I just bought a Google Nest Hub for the kitchen, and unfortunately the location of it is a place that is getting marginal wifi coverage (opposite end of the house on a different floor).

My wireless router is an Archer C9. What would be a good AP to set up for first floor coverage in my house? I don't really have the ambition to pay for and set up a whole Ubiquiti setup.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Lester Shy posted:

For some reason, my internet (wired, wireless, all devices) is always extremely slow after a power outage. I average around 400 Mbps, but when this happens, it dips down between 2 and 10 Mbps and stays there for a week or more.

I've tried restarting everything multiple times, and that doesn't work so I'm all out of ideas. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Try plugging a PC directly into your modem and take the router out of the equation and run a speed test from a few different places.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I picked up an Eero kit on Black Friday sale to replace my parents aging AirPort Extreme Base station (at least a decade old).

I haven’t taken it out of the box yet. Tell me why I’ve made a terrible mistake and should return it to replace it with something else (and what).

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You could always take an old router you're not using and flash it with DD-WRT or similar if you happen to have one you're not using anyway.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

CaptainPsyko posted:

I picked up an Eero kit on Black Friday sale to replace my parents aging AirPort Extreme Base station (at least a decade old).

I haven’t taken it out of the box yet. Tell me why I’ve made a terrible mistake and should return it to replace it with something else (and what).

I did this for my parents two years ago and it’s drastically reduced their calls for tech help

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

CaptainPsyko posted:

it's only a bad if you're renting the system from your ISP and they have gated features trying to push you onto their software or they gently caress with your band steering settings to "optimize" your wifi remotely.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Which mesh kit would you guys recommend? Amazon has both the Deco m5 and Eero (gen 3) kits on sale for $159.99 — need to suggest one to a family member for their 2 story, full basement home that's roughly 1600 sq ft.

Eero: https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-eero-mesh-WiFi-system-3-pack-/dp/B07WMLPSRL

Deco: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Deco-Whole-Home-System/dp/B06WVCB862

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Discovered something interesting with the poo poo Frontier modem/router my parents have over the weekend.

It is dual band, but it does not have any options for using separate SSIDs. But that is not the worst part. If you disable one band, it will continue to broadcast the SSID on that band, but just not pass any data to any connected devices.

I thought I was seeing poo poo... But I confirmed it. Disable the 5Ghz band... dual band devices will still see it broadcasting a SSID on 5Ghz and still attempt to connect to it, but no data will pass if they do. Ditto if you disable the 2.4Ghz band. I even factory reset the drat thing, same behavior.

They have 2 Rokus that refuse to jump to 2.4Ghz, even if the signal drops to -89dB on 5Ghz. So I was just going to shut off 5Ghz and force them to 2Ghz where they pick up a -70dB signal. Guess I won't be doing that!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Has anyone tried setting up an Airport Extreme as a wireless bridge? I'm trying to hook mine up to my Unifi AP but it's fighting me. The setup utility asks to me to enter the name and password for the existing network and when I do so the Airport just quietly gives up and starts blinking amber.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Does this not happen when using a wired connection? My bet here is that their ISP is trying to inject/redirect them to a walled garden telling them to update their modem. Comcast has done that to me before. Check their ISP's modem compatibility page and make sure it's actually supported still.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

teagone posted:

Which mesh kit would you guys recommend? Amazon has both the Deco m5 and Eero (gen 3) kits on sale for $159.99 — need to suggest one to a family member for their 2 story, full basement home that's roughly 1600 sq ft.

Eero: https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-eero-mesh-WiFi-system-3-pack-/dp/B07WMLPSRL

Deco: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Deco-Whole-Home-System/dp/B06WVCB862

I used an eero setup for my parents stupid huge sprawl of a house, including one in the garage to get outside the brick walls so the nest cams out there can get signal. Haven’t had an issue with it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dogen posted:

I used an eero setup for my parents stupid huge sprawl of a house, including one in the garage to get outside the brick walls so the nest cams out there can get signal. Haven’t had an issue with it.

Was it an eero pro mesh kit? I ended up suggesting the Deco M5 because I read the newer gen 3 eero nodes have slower wifi (AC750?), and the 3-node Deco M5 kit was $10 cheaper. I'll do a trip report once I help get the mesh set up to see how well it performs :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Orbi 3 pack is also on sale for $195
https://amzn.to/2OGKGZA

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

teagone posted:

Was it an eero pro mesh kit? I ended up suggesting the Deco M5 because I read the newer gen 3 eero nodes have slower wifi (AC750?), and the 3-node Deco M5 kit was $10 cheaper. I'll do a trip report once I help get the mesh set up to see how well it performs :)

Grabbed an Eero Pro +1 beacon on a sale the other day.

So far so good, the dead spot in the kitchen is gone, and the basement has a signal and the weather sucks waaaaaay too much here in the Northeast to find out if it reaches the garage, but that is a project for another day.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

H2SO4 posted:

Does this not happen when using a wired connection? My bet here is that their ISP is trying to inject/redirect them to a walled garden telling them to update their modem. Comcast has done that to me before. Check their ISP's modem compatibility page and make sure it's actually supported still.

Or since it's an old, probably never been patched router, it's not unlikely it's been compromised and is part of a botnet and trying to actively snoop on local web traffic for passwords etc. Get rid of that router ASAP to be safe.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm being forced to switch ISPs in a few months, and the new ISP does not allow any incoming connections/open ports. I have a Linux NAS/server that I run a few services on (git, ssh, web server, plex, etc), that I'd still like to be accessible from the outside.

Is there a VPN service out there that allows incoming connections that I could hook the server up to and still get reasonable (100Mbps+) speeds?

Edit: The answer is no, no VPN service lets you forward important ports like 22 or 443. Plan B is renting a DigitalOcean droplet server and running OpenVPN on it, with manually managed port forwards.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 5, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

Grabbed an Eero Pro +1 beacon on a sale the other day.

So far so good, the dead spot in the kitchen is gone, and the basement has a signal and the weather sucks waaaaaay too much here in the Northeast to find out if it reaches the garage, but that is a project for another day.

Good to know if the Deco M5 set doesn't work out. The Eero Pros and Orbi were a bit out of budget. Worst case scenario is we drill a hole from the den to the basement and hardwire the one M5 node that goes down there.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

On a related note to the mesh wifi systems. What are the effective ranges for them? My brother didn't take my advice and run an ethernet cable out to his new barn, but still wants wifi.

I'm thinking that getting a mesh system, then putting one in the corner of his house closest to the barn, then another in the corner of the barn closest to the house might get us there. The biggest issue is that the barn has metal siding, but the barn is maybe 25 feet from the corner of the house mentioned above.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Any good Cyber Monday deals for WiFi routers that explicity support SMBv3?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

teagone posted:

It was like $300 for 3 units, so... maybe?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I used to have a Linux box acting as both home router/gateway and Plex media server, but I haven't set it back up after moving to the US. I've just been using Comcast's lovely all-in-one modem+router. There's only so much 5 Ghz dropping out and modem resetting I can take, so I'd like to set up my own equipment.

I'd like to start out with just a Ubiquiti router before bringing a Linux box back into the equation. I might decide to keep the router active even with a Linux server, or I might want it to act as a switch after setting up the Linux server. In any event, am I correct to assume that the Edgerouters can handle either of those situations? For the Ubiquiti-as-router case, I'd set it up as 1 WAN + 2 LAN bridge, and for the Ubiquiti-as-switch case, I'd just bridge all 3 and connect the modem into the Linux box "WAN" as before?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Inept posted:

Or since it's an old, probably never been patched router, it's not unlikely it's been compromised and is part of a botnet and trying to actively snoop on local web traffic for passwords etc. Get rid of that router ASAP to be safe.

Oh god, for sure. Nuke it from orbit, it's got exploits in the wild. Yet another reason I put my family on Unifi gear pointing back to a central controller. Everyone's poo poo stays updated.

Jan posted:

and for the Ubiquiti-as-switch case, I'd just bridge all 3 and connect the modem into the Linux box "WAN" as before?

Don't do this. While technically possible (depending on model), configuring routed interfaces as switchports means that all traffic hits the CPU and that absolutely slaughters performance.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 3, 2019

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Jan posted:

I used to have a Linux box acting as both home router/gateway and Plex media server, but I haven't set it back up after moving to the US. I've just been using Comcast's lovely all-in-one modem+router. There's only so much 5 Ghz dropping out and modem resetting I can take, so I'd like to set up my own equipment.

I'd like to start out with just a Ubiquiti router before bringing a Linux box back into the equation. I might decide to keep the router active even with a Linux server, or I might want it to act as a switch after setting up the Linux server. In any event, am I correct to assume that the Edgerouters can handle either of those situations? For the Ubiquiti-as-router case, I'd set it up as 1 WAN + 2 LAN bridge, and for the Ubiquiti-as-switch case, I'd just bridge all 3 and connect the modem into the Linux box "WAN" as before?

An Edgerouter X will work for this since it has a hardware switch chip and you don't have to do bridging in software, which slows things down. That said, 8 port gigabit switches are regularly on sale for $15, so you wouldn't be out much extra anyway.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
i found an old ISP router/modem so i set it up in my room to get people at this end of our sharehouse wifi. It works except, I can't access the control panel from my computer (I can on my phone)

where do I even start with figuring this out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If you can get into that router/modem's interface from your phone, I'm guessing you need to set it into a non-modem mode and probably turn off DHCP. I'm assuming you're just setting it up to provide an extra WiFi connection, and your house's main router/modem hands out IP addresses?