Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

I got to attend one of the preview screenings for Knives Out and since there isn't a thread for it (which is surprising since for the past two years every other thread of this forum seems to devolve in the same argument about The Last Jedi on a weekly basis) I thought I should put one together since it's a good movie and seems to be exactly the kind of mid-budget script-driven theatrical release people constantly pine for online yet rarely actually go to the trouble of seeing when they're made and in theaters. So, here's your chance to put your money where your mouth is I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi-1NchUqMA

This OP is going to be spoiler-free and I'd appreciate it people went to the trouble to not post spoilers for the film until its release, because like any whodunnit the twists and turns are a central part of the experience. The basic setup is that a hugely successful murder mystery novelist named Harlan Thrombey is found dead in suspicious circumstances the day after his 85th birthday, in which his various failchildren and their own families were in attendance and all are suspect. A southern gentleman detective named Benoit Blanc (played by a gloriously kentucky-fried Daniel Craig) is involved in the investigation of his death and what follows is two hours of tightly-plotted twists and turns, revelations and misdirections, all with the fate of an entire family and their huge fortune at stake.

First thing I want to say about Knives Out is that it's way funnier than I was expecting. I knew Rian Johnson would provide levity but there are a lot of laugh-out-loud moments. It's much more grounded than his gimmicky high schooler noir movie Brick and the humor comes as much from the various spoiled and dysfunctional family members bouncing off of each other, the police, and the help as it does from some really great visual gags and comic timing.

Secondly I want to say that the movie's politics are on point and the people who complained that The Last Jedi was cucked soyboy virtue signalling SJW trash are absolutely going to hate the things this movie says and does. It almost feels like counter-programming to the vacuous angry white guy nihilism of Joker and ends on an almost uplifting note despite confronting a lot of the ugliness caused by inequality and the disconnect that the wealthy have from the rest of society. Every member of the Thrombey dynasty is a perfectly-captured piece of poo poo from the proud "self-made" business owner who coasted on a million dollar loan from daddy to the Ben Shapiro-looking nazi grandson who spends most of the movie glued to his phone and calling his grandfather's nurse an "anchor baby" and watching them alternate between turning on each other at the drop of a dime to coming together the moment it means they could profit from it makes their trials and tribulations that much more satisfying to watch unfold.

Lastly, as much as the usual gang of smirking youtubers have dismissed Johnson as a hack fraud because he subverts expectations this is fundamentally a well-constructed whodunnit that keeps things fresh as it twists and turns yet never betrays its roots. The majority of the movie takes place on the Thrombey estate and while the ensemble cast is star-studded there is no big genre shift or deconstruction, it's just a good story told well.

So, yeah, Knives Out opens in wide release on the 27th and it's worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
Did the butler do it, OP?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It looks digital as hell, which seems kind of inappropriate for the genre, but otherwise I hope it's good.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

General Dog posted:

It looks digital as hell, which seems kind of inappropriate for the genre, but otherwise I hope it's good.

It looked fine to me. It's not like doing Fincher-style crazy digital zooms and CGI transitions, it's mostly just traditional framing in and around the manor with the only real difference being that it's done with natural lighting. And the set design is very good, the room a lot of the interviews are done in especially.

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
Does it open with a "Yo momma" joke? Are there any "Yo momma" jokes involved?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

It almost feels like counter-programming to the vacuous angry white guy nihilism of Joker

Lol ok gently caress off

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

It almost feels like counter-programming to the vacuous angry white guy nihilism of Joker

So what DO your farts smell like?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

General Dog posted:

Why should this genre dictate camera options? Genuinely curious about your thinking.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Michael Shannon looks fab on that poster, I can't wait to get me some Michael Shannon

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Vegetable posted:

Michael Shannon looks fab on that poster, I can't wait to get me some Michael Shannon

There’s some great loving wardrobe on that poster, god drat

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

AccountSupervisor posted:

Why should this genre dictate camera options? Genuinely curious about your thinking.

To me it makes the movie just look generic and not that interesting. The best comparison is that it feels like an overproduced album. It’s just too glossy.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
I also saw a preview screening and it was one of the most intensely satisfying movies I have ever seen.

As the credits were rolling I had a feeling like I'd just sat down on a bench on a beautiful lazy Saturday afternoon with a cold beer, and also just put a tiny piece of chocolate on my tongue and waited for it to melt.

It was not very hype, also! That didn't make it any less enjoyable, but it was something interesting I noticed about it - normally any movie with "thriller" at least partially in its genre is very HYPE, or at least has some very hype moments. This one had tense moments (and darkly comic moments) but it never really tried to overwhelm the audience with excitement. which was cool, because it weirdly didn't need excitement to be tense?

overall very good.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Vegetable posted:

Michael Shannon is so great because he's basically playing a William H Macy character except because it's Michael Shannon no matter how exasperated and meek and put-upon he acts it also feels like he could snap and murder everyone at every second because he's Michael Shannon. It's kind of like the weird energy of him playing the wacky lovable Christmas movie protagonist in Pottersville only this time it was probably intentional.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. My only complaint is that it may be a smidge too long. Very happy to see Frank Oz in an acting role.

Any movie where Daniel Craig says masturbating nazi child is good enough for me

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saw this at the London Film Fest last month and I absolutely adore it. Extremely funny and clever and messes with your expectations in the best way. Daniel Craig’s monologue about donuts and donut holes is one of the funniest things I’ve seen in a cinema all year. Probably tied with Parasite for my film of the year. It’s just beautifully-constructed and the themes are timely and effective and it’s a total blast to watch. Incredible cast too, with Craig, Evans, and Ana de Armas especially putting in superb performances.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I haven’t seen Knives Out but after watching Blade Runner I’m kind of happy Ana De Amras is becoming bigger. Good to hear she did well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just got back from a preview screening a couple of hours ago and I can confirm that this movie is in fact good. Very funny, even if maybe half of my personal laughs stemmed from the mere sight of seeing Daniel Craig doing that accent (and he does get a few laugh lines too).

Sleeveless posted:

Secondly I want to say that the movie's politics are on point and the people who complained that The Last Jedi was cucked soyboy virtue signalling SJW trash are absolutely going to hate the things this movie says and does.

Can also confirm. I went to see it with my dad and the first thing he said on leaving the theater was how he thought it was "too political" (it's really not) and wouldn't hold up in 20 years. (although he did not complain about TLJ since he has never cared about Star Wars)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 24, 2019

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I just saw this movie today and it is great. It was my most anticipated movie of the year, and it delivered the mystery and laughs I expected but with some surprises as well. I didn't realize who the protagonist would actually be going in, but it was a very strong choice.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Don Johnson's still alive?

Huh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He was just in Watchmen

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sleeveless posted:

Michael Shannon is so great because he's basically playing a William H Macy character except because it's Michael Shannon no matter how exasperated and meek and put-upon he acts it also feels like he could snap and murder everyone at every second because he's Michael Shannon. It's kind of like the weird energy of him playing the wacky lovable Christmas movie protagonist in Pottersville only this time it was probably intentional.

I will love Michael Shannon forever because of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dngOH9G4UPw

I saw a preview for this movie at Midway. For a second I thought it was somehow going to be some kind of Lisbeth Salander thing for some reason. I was "wait, was that Daniel Craig." And then "Wait, is that Chris Evans? Oooh, this looks good."

I notice that Ana de Armas is going to be in No Time to Tie, the 25th Bond movie. I wonder if Craig recommended her based on working with her in this movie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I loved this movie. It's just so satisfying, and not in the way you would expect.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

My wife is a huge Agatha Christie fan so taking her to see this was a no-brainer.
And we loved it! Brilliant film all around with a classic “whodunit” twist. The cast also obviously had a lot of fun making this as well, and Ana de Armas needs to be in more films asap. She’s amazing in this.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Said it in GenChat, but this is basically Rian Johnson doing an episode of Columbo with a stacked cast.

Ana de Armas was great, and I loved Michael Shannon as well. Those were the two stand-out performance.

It's a solid movie, but I didn't really love it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s pretty neat how you expect Michael Shannon to be a bad dude and it looks like he won’t be and then he turns out to be a massive piece of poo poo, just in a different way, and he still totally nails it. “Simpering whiny gently caress” is pretty far down the list of roles I thought Shannon would be great at.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Can also confirm. I went to see it with my dad and the first thing he said on leaving the theater was how he thought it was "too political" (it's really not) and wouldn't hold up in 20 years. (although he did not complain about TLJ since he has never cared about Star Wars)

The interesting thing about the politics is that it's almost entirely a smokescreen. Regardless of what all the rich people express when they are having their argument (bickering really) about "SJWs" and "Twitter Nazis" and immigration, they all become united when it comes time to protect their wealth. The most sympathetic of them is the one that spills Marta's mother's immigration status to the others.

Also for anyone who thought the "internet troll" character would be Johnson's way of sticking it to his TLJ critics, that theory's pretty overblown unless you just assume he is saying "every person who trolls on the internet is exactly like this twerpy kid" which doesn't really bear out when you look at the politics/relationships of the other characters.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I'm genuinely disappointed that Riki Lindhome didn't get any speaking lines other than some chatter at the end. She's so good, and has great comedic timing, and was entirely underused.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's a loving great film! My favorite of the year. Did a lot with the genre, I felt. That the biggest "woah" reveal is like 20 minutes in, and it completely shifts your perspective on the detective, adds a loving ton of suspense.

Also every single character nails it.

And ultimately the reason why the nurse perseveres brought tears to me eyes. It's the right way to win: to be a better person than the game expects you to be.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

This movie owned. I figured the "Ransom can't tell the difference between a prop knife and a real knife" would come back, but I was sure it would lead to a twist where it turned out the knife Marta saw Harlan use was the fake. Still: just an outrageously satisfying, heartfelt movie.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The REAL Goobusters posted:

To me it makes the movie just look generic and not that interesting. The best comparison is that it feels like an overproduced album. It’s just too glossy.
Dumb people say this because they don't realise that the reason it looks 'glossy' is that it's literally a better quality of picture; you're just used to film and lower framerates because it's cheaper for studios.
Same thing with 30fps vs 60fps. Of course 60fps is better, you're just not used to movies being that lifelike.

Anyway this was a pretty good movie! I bet a lot of people are going to miss the whole point of the family's different 'political opinions' disappearing when they band together despite the fact that the movie pushes the point as hard as it can to the point that when Daniel Craig snaps at the end it's almost through the fourth wall.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

General Dog posted:

I thought the trailer looked kindof jarring and cheap (which was understandable considering the caliber and quantity of the cast), but the end result was very well put together and I think it worked perfectly well as a digital film, even if shooting on Film could’ve made its influences even more overt. Still, it was a great who-done-it about Class Interests in modern America, one of the best things I’ve seen in theaters this year.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I just got out of a screening and I really hated the part 15 minutes in where the movie theater lost power and it took them 20 minutes to get it going again, just the genre defying schlock you'd expect out of Rian Johnson :v:

But seriously, it was very fun movie. I really liked the turns the movie took and Daniel Craig's accent was hilarious

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Saw this last night. It was outstanding and really hilarious. The thing I would say about the twists and turns is that I figured it out when Ransom helped Marta out, meta-knowledge of murder mysteries told me that must mean he dunnit but it really didn't affect my enjoyment of the movie, the fun wasn't really in the mystery but in how loving terrible that family is.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I really liked how everyone assumed the Nazi kid was jerking it, but actually was just surfing Reddit in the bathroom trying to escape the family

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Glumslinger posted:

I really liked how everyone assumed the Nazi kid was jerking it, but actually was just surfing Reddit in the bathroom trying to escape the family

But also, he was probably jerkin’ it.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I loved this movie. The whole foreshadowing bit with her being better at Go than the other two because she had no stategy beyond making a nice pattern was really clever I thought.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Friend posted:

I loved this movie. The whole foreshadowing bit with her being better at Go than the other two because she had no stategy beyond making a nice pattern was really clever I thought.

And also him talking aboutnot being able to tell the difference between a real knife and a stage knife in the very beginning

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are a lot of details that in a worse movie would be relegated to red herrings, and red herrings are allowed (necessary, actually) in the genre.

But it's quite dedicated to having these things not be red herrings in the traditional sense. They do bear out, usually just not where expected.

Of course, my favorite aspect that really did break the genre was telling you early how he died (he slit his own neck--yes! He did do that!) but then having you rooting against the detective who is there only to learn the truth. We see a few mysteries where you're bummed to see them solved but they never quite do that.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

There's so much in this movie I want to discuss, but right now I'll settle for these two thoughts.

First, "I know you have that thing about lying from that game of Mafia we all played last year." was an underrated line.

And

Second, I would absolutely see another Benoit Blanc mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The single handheld shot in this film was so perfect I wanted to cackle.