Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Nice, Pretty good one in Denver minus that one important element....

I heard Green Mountain was off the hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

I heard Green Mountain was off the hook.

With enough snow I would ski it with the rockiest rock planks I could find.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Latest and greatest helmet to go with my I/o chromapop goggles. I tried on a giro helmet I really liked but I don’t think it had MIPS and I didn’t have my goggles with me.

Surely they all fit by now, right?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Whistler confirmed they're opening on Thursday with "limited terrain".

I'll probably wait until at least Monday/Tuesday before taking out my rock skis.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Eejit posted:

Legit sick powder day in Aspen

We caught aprés on the roof at the W. Lots of happy people. And that is a great place to people watch.

E: Just checked our powder cam and it’s sitting at 15” with another 5-9” predicted on Friday night. I am very much reconsidering my shoulder surgery.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 27, 2019

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

With enough snow I would ski it with the rockiest rock planks I could find.

The shot of that couple skiing down Red Rocks circa 2013 is extremely on my bucket list.

Captain Apollo posted:

Latest and greatest helmet to go with my I/o chromapop goggles. I tried on a giro helmet I really liked but I don’t think it had MIPS and I didn’t have my goggles with me.

Surely they all fit by now, right?

MIPS seems to run a half-size small, for what it's worth. I've got a ~57cm (Medium) nugget. I picked up a Smith Vantage Uber Xtreme Edition or whatever, but had to go with a large. I have a Giro head.

For cycling, I wouldn't buy a helmet without MIPS. On the snow, it seems like a gimmick.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

Whistler confirmed they're opening on Thursday with "limited terrain".

I'll probably wait until at least Monday/Tuesday before taking out my rock skis.

What's Whistlers definition of limited terrain? I know Park City opened this week with a grand total of 1 green run, 1 blue run, and a beginner terrain park, but their webcams made it seem like it was still pretty crowded.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Dangerllama posted:

MIPS seems to run a half-size small, for what it's worth. I've got a ~57cm (Medium) nugget. I picked up a Smith Vantage Uber Xtreme Edition or whatever, but had to go with a large. I have a Giro head.

For cycling, I wouldn't buy a helmet without MIPS. On the snow, it seems like a gimmick.

Oh really? Maybe that explains why mips isn’t ubiquitous in all the helmets I’ve seen. I thought it was like Antilock brakes and everybody was going that way.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

What's Whistlers definition of limited terrain? I know Park City opened this week with a grand total of 1 green run, 1 blue run, and a beginner terrain park, but their webcams made it seem like it was still pretty crowded.

They haven't said exactly what's going to be open, but they're saying on Blackcomb Jersey Cream chair will be open so one blue run. On Whistler they're saying Emerald and Big Red will be open which means they'll have one, POSSIBLY two green runs open and either an easy blue or a green run to Red.

It's going to be massively crowded, it literally always is when they open it this early, even when they have more terrain than this open. I'm not going out until at least Monday.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Oh hello

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Happy opening eve everyone! I hope the people coming to Whistler for American Thanksgiving enjoy the literal under half a foot of snow base that they're still insisting on opening.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cypress opens Friday. I wont bother until another storm has come through. (Although their snowmaking is pretty good)

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Well, no good terrain open yet but at least it looks like winter. Bigger warmer storm supposed to come in this weekend followed by another middle of next week. We'll be in business soon.

My house in the lame not mountains area sold today, so fully committed now if I wasn't before (I was)

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Steve French posted:

My house in the lame not mountains area sold today, so fully committed now if I wasn't before (I was)

drat that does sound lame

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:q:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

Well, no good terrain open yet but at least it looks like winter. Bigger warmer storm supposed to come in this weekend followed by another middle of next week. We'll be in business soon.

Yeah dude, way to go.

We will be out in March. Not sure if it will be South lake or what. We are on epic but I also love squaw...

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Anyone heading to a SoCal mountain this weekend?

We're planning on making the trek to Big Bear tomorrow but the roads are absolutely slammed right now; only open way to get in is from the North on Highway 18. I see chains in my future. But it's gonna be worth it, they got 4 feet of snow and it hasn't stopped coming down.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Holy poo poo Mammoth got 48 inches / 122 cm of snow.

edit: and Bear apparently

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Tjree hours, crowd of whiners, rude lift rat in need of a five finger attitude adjustment from someone else while I am hopefully around to film, blew a tip, bent my favorite pole, made proper use of my helmet, and still worth going out. Now for a lager, some tunes on vinyl, and card game with the kids before making turkey enchiladas.

Saw a boss and his wife at the summit. "Tools, not jewels," was his response to seeing my ski. Gonna try fixing it to stop having to run it exclusively on my right foot.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mummy Xzibit posted:

We're planning on making the trek to Big Bear tomorrow but the roads are absolutely slammed right now; only open way to get in is from the North on Highway 18. I see chains in my future. But it's gonna be worth it, they got 4 feet of snow and it hasn't stopped coming down.
Baldy is tempting me

https://twitter.com/mtbaldyresort/status/1200614824536723456?s=21

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Honestly just glad Cali got moisture. Hopefully for season can basically be over this year.

P.S. go ski

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mummy Xzibit posted:

I have some friends doing a day trip tomorrow. Was tempted but didn’t want to deal with opening weekend crowds and traffic.

Really excited for Mammoth in two weeks though :dance:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I skied today

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My girlfriend's family are here and we are all heading up to Verbier to NOT ski and just walk around for a bit for some reason. And then I'm heading to Orlando to do some more not skiing for work.

Also my BBQ was delivered but not actually to the chalet.

130kg.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
In good news, our local resort in NJ, Mountain Creek, opened for weekends in mid-November, the earliest opening I can remember. They've also cut new glade trails for the first time in forever. Their parent company is also running Big Snow, the indoor ski park at the new American Dream mall in NJ so I can now snowboard year round,

In bad news, they've partnered with Snogo snow bikes and will allow them on Vernon, the main beginner peak.
https://sno-go.us/
Expect serious collisions as the most crowded gaper filled slopes in the entire Northeast meet out of control snow bikes.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yuns posted:

...snow bikes and will allow them on Vernon...Expect serious collisions as the most crowded gaper filled slopes in the entire Northeast meet out of control snow bikes.

It's a feature, not a bug. Embrace your heritage:

My actual bedroom entryway.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I need to invest in a GoPro to document the carnage for future generations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Wow. I think everything at Loveland is on a wind hold.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Man, Tahoe is just getting dumped on. 4-5 feet last week with about the same predicted again in the next few days

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

had my first taste of nub’s nob today

It was really solid midwest skiing, especially for this time of year. Surprisingly good terrain. Would ski again.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

had my first taste of nub’s nob today

It was really solid midwest skiing, especially for this time of year. Surprisingly good terrain. Would ski again.

NUBS NOB! NUBS NOB! Haha. Great place. The pintail peak probably isn't open yet but super nice.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Time to get them started

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
:3:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Awesome pictures and awesome getting her started so early. Mine started at 3 or so and are now 12 so that's 9 or 10 seasons including this coming one now.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 1, 2019

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hell yeah! Kid stoke is extremely cool and good.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Ski leases are a thing new to me, pretty nice and easy and cost effective. $100 for each of them for the season. They have both been obsessed with my ski boots the last few days, and my son almost threw a tantrum leaving the shop because he couldn't carry the skis and the boots.

Then as you can see on the drive home my daughter took her shoes off and tried to put the boots back on while in her car seat

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Very ambitious teaching two little ones at once, bravo

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yuns posted:

I need to invest in a GoPro to document the carnage for future generations.

Do it. Bonus if you convince them to install a full loop in a terrain park.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Very ambitious teaching two little ones at once, bravo

Not like I've got a choice! Wife has committed to switching back to skiing from snowboarding to make it easier for her to help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I enjoy that the bindings are almost as long as the skis.

The local mountain opened on Friday, but I work Fridays and Saturdays. So tomorrow will be the first day of the season for me. I am very excited. Unfortunately they only have the basic chairs open, but that might be a good way to warm up. They have a high speed quad with 122 vertical and two traditional two seaters with verticals of about 450 and 600 so I won't be banging out a stellar vert, but should be good for warming up.

Heading to Park City Mountain Resort on the 8th and am a little concerned about the amount of lifts and trails that will be open though. Might have to go back later in the season as well!