Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
What are the chances that the visual quality will be improved on the Oculus Link? It’s not terrible by any means but there is definitely a bit of clarity that’s lost. Some games I don’t notice it, like Tetris Effect. But some games like Asgard’s Wrath are a little soft even with the game maxed out. I know it’s because it’s essentially a stream, just wondering if they’ll improve that quality down the line or if it’ll be another headset that’ll have to be released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are you sure about that? Maybe it was a game changer without you knowing? I recently tried to go back to 2d racing and it was nearly impossible

Pretty sure, though I only have project cars 2 which isn't really my thing, I'm not really a hardcore sim player I perfer stuff like forza and gran turismo. it's neat don't get me wrong but I'm already not using the headset after a week and frankly my switch was already a good enough expensive thing I bought that gathers dust.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 30, 2019

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

pootiebigwang posted:

What are the chances that the visual quality will be improved on the Oculus Link? It’s not terrible by any means but there is definitely a bit of clarity that’s lost. Some games I don’t notice it, like Tetris Effect. But some games like Asgard’s Wrath are a little soft even with the game maxed out. I know it’s because it’s essentially a stream, just wondering if they’ll improve that quality down the line or if it’ll be another headset that’ll have to be released.

I think they've said they'll bump up the visual quality when it's out of beta.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Plus, you can probably get a bump in visual quality with improvements in NVIDIA's hardware video encoders. I really want to see a Quest Link comparison between a Pascal 1000 series card and a Turing 2000 series card. The Turing supposedly has a better video encoder on it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the main reason to use vats in vr is because it's cool. you basically get to be The Flash

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Pretty sure, though I only have project cars 2 which isn't really my thing, I'm not really a hardcore sim player I perfer stuff like forza and gran turismo. it's neat don't get me wrong but I'm already not using the headset after a week and frankly my switch was already a good enough expensive thing I bought that gathers dust.

Thats fair. As someone with like 200 hours in Gran Turismo Sport, I get the draw of the simcade racers

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

The Walrus posted:

the main reason to use vats in vr is because it's cool. you basically get to be The Flash

The real reason to use vats is when you hear a radroach squeak. I don't want those fuckers jumping at my face.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

pootiebigwang posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1198350474526760961?s=20

The current version only uses 150 Mbps, USB 3.1 can do 5 Gbps, so assuming Carmack's hopes are successful, there should be a pretty big improvement coming.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tip posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1198350474526760961?s=20

The current version only uses 150 Mbps, USB 3.1 can do 5 Gbps, so assuming Carmack's hopes are successful, there should be a pretty big improvement coming.

That doesn't mean it will reach anywhere close to 5gbps, the limit is in both the hardware encoding rate (in the gpu) and the hardware decoding rate (in the mobile chip).

In other news, Oculus just gifted me 4€. I suppose that's $5 for Americans.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

That doesn't mean it will reach anywhere close to 5gbps, the limit is in both the hardware encoding rate (in the gpu) and the hardware decoding rate (in the mobile chip).

Promising numbers for the Quest S in 6-12 months

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Still loving my Rift S, excellent value and a great upgrade over the Vive, but does anyone else have issues with the guardian boundaries moving? Every now and then they're shifted like 30cm's to the right for no reason, or it will forget my boundaries completely and have to reset it. It's not a major drama having to do it, but loving annoying after the Vive set and forget forever.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The best VR space game is only a tenner for the base game, the essential Horizons add on and a few cosmetics

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/360063/

At this price just a few hours noodling out of a station, landing on a planet and enjoying the ambiance will get you your money's worth, and if it grabs you and you want to sink several hundred hours in / buy a full HOTAS controls setup... :o:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Speaking of Elite, would the occulus quest fulfill my needs if Elite and flight sims (and half-life alyx eventually) were the main draw for me buying a vr headset? I tried out the cheap (sub 100$) chinese vr headset that people mentioned in this thread, and while I was amazed by the sense of scale and freedom, the screen door effect and the blurriness of the visuals left me wanting. Has that improved for the better in these new headsets that are out now?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ughhhh posted:

Speaking of Elite, would the occulus quest fulfill my needs if Elite and flight sims (and half-life alyx eventually) were the main draw for me buying a vr headset? I tried out the cheap (sub 100$) chinese vr headset that people mentioned in this thread, and while I was amazed by the sense of scale and freedom, the screen door effect and the blurriness of the visuals left me wanting. Has that improved for the better in these new headsets that are out now?

It's definitely a lot better than those, but you should still moderate your expectations. Screen door effects are still visible if you're specifically looking for them, visuals are still naturally a little blurrier than real life, especially at the edge of your vision.

Quest is a solid choice in general.
Rift S would save you a little money and get you a little more comfort and visual acuity at the cost of not being able to use it untethered or wireless; personally I think that's a bad trade-off, but there's a case to be made either way.
Index is the headset HLA is explicitly designed for and should theoretically get you much better hand presence in that game due to individual finger tracking, but you're paying a lot for that feature that may or may not be worth it; I'd only suggest it if you have money to burn.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

Rift S would save you a little money and get you a little more comfort and visual acuity at the cost of not being able to use it untethered or wireless; personally I think that's a bad trade-off, but there's a case to be made either way.
Index is the headset HLA is explicitly designed for and should theoretically get you much better hand presence in that game due to individual finger tracking, but you're paying a lot for that feature that may or may not be worth it; I'd only suggest it if you have money to burn.

If one of his main use cases is flight sims, and he's specifically looking for less screen door, the higher clarity of the Rift S could make or break things like reading instruments and displays so I really wouldn't recommend the Quest in this case.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 30, 2019

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I returned to the Dojo in Vader Immortal EpI. I find it a bit ridiculous, in how mostly it doesn’t test your skill with the saber, but how accurately you listen the sound cues and turn quickly to face the enemies in 360º. Maybe I should try the 180º mode.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Took the quest to thanksgiving and it was, surprisingly, a hit amongst the 65+ crowd.

Beat saber and pistol whip were big, but it was the watching amazon prime/netflix that they liked best.

My dad was wanting to know if they would ever stream sports games. Is that a thing in VR?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacetoaster posted:

My dad was wanting to know if they would ever stream sports games. Is that a thing in VR?

Believe it or not: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/go/1282459145111104/?locale=en_US and https://nextvr.com/

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

spacetoaster posted:

Took the quest to thanksgiving and it was, surprisingly, a hit amongst the 65+ crowd.

Beat saber and pistol whip were big, but it was the watching amazon prime/netflix that they liked best.

Apparently yes.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/sports/technology/watch-sports-online.html

Not a sports guy so I've never tried, but I recall this being a thing during the last Olympics.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TVs Ian posted:

but I recall this being a thing during the last Olympics.

I need a VR livestream connected to the helmet cams of the Winter Olympics luge

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Something I gave for granted but I am now unsure about: is it possible to use Steam VR games on Quest through Link? If so, is it as simple as with a Rift headset or is there some kind of setup needed? I almost bought that Elite: Dangerous deal on Steam and then I've realized it may not be possible for me to use it with a tethered Quest. Also kind of a big deal for HL:A.

EDIT: alright thanks! Worst case scenario, I'll use the old CV1 or just waste :10bux:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 30, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Italian Guy posted:

Something I gave for granted but I am now unsure about : is it possible to use Steam VR games on Quest through Link? If so, is it as simple as with a Rift headset or is there some kind of setup needed?

Yes, it'll work the same as the Rift: https://venturebeat.com/2019/09/29/facebook-oculus-link-will-work-with-steamvr-games-too/

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I was playing H3VR and I realized what I want - a "rear view mirror" for myself in VR. Between the lack of peripheral vision and the difficulty of quickly swinging around because of the weight on my head, it's very easy to get snuck up on. Which I do not find pleasant in VR. A quick-180 button is probably useful but could get disorienting.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndrewP posted:

I was playing H3VR and I realized what I want - a "rear view mirror" for myself in VR. Between the lack of peripheral vision and the difficulty of quickly swinging around because of the weight on my head, it's very easy to get snuck up on. Which I do not find pleasant in VR. A quick-180 button is probably useful but could get disorienting.

?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

AndrewP posted:

a "rear view mirror" for myself in VR.

Can someone mod that to VR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9v_XN7Wxh8&t=149s

I wanna see how fast I can puke.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I guess the HDMI part of the 3 in 1 cable for my regular VIVe is busted? Getting the HDCP error and the display in the headset flat out will not turn on at all. Tried the HDMI cable that connects the link box to the computer and it works fine.

Who knows how this happened. The cable seemed like it was pretty sturdy, and I don't recall ever tripping over it or yanking it or anything. It's still being tracked and if I turn on the HMD display on SteamVR the picture shows up fine on the monitor. One of those "Worked perfectly 12 hours ago, not anymore" things I guess.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If you do any kind of roomscale stuff, cables for VR headsets are effectively a consumable. I went through 3 Vive cables before getting a wireless kit, though I played standing/360 and roomscale more than most due to my bigger room so that likely accelerated the damage.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I haven't had that experience, I'm pretty careful not to kink it or anything though

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I can't deal with artificial turning, so it got pretty twisted up sometimes.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Plus with turning IRL it's just a matter of time until you step on the cable in a way that kinks it hard, then that spot wears down more quickly too

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

I can't deal with artificial turning, so it got pretty twisted up sometimes.
I don't use it either, idk maybe my carpet is particularly plush

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yeah I only turn irl when in VR and never press to turn and my OG vive still works great, even though it's the worse thick 3 wire job.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Had a bit of Amazon credit so I had to order the Quest there, but it won't ship until 12/8. Bummer.

In the meantime, what's the preferred cable I should grab for the Link beta?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Chinook posted:

Had a bit of Amazon credit so I had to order the Quest there, but it won't ship until 12/8. Bummer.

In the meantime, what's the preferred cable I should grab for the Link beta?

If its not shipping until 12/8, you may just want to wait and see if info on the release of the official cable hits before then?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Have tried to go back a few pages--but there is a lot to figure out with these VR googles. Played with a Quest over Thanksgiving and the walk around was pretty cool--but the majority of my gaming, I'd think, would be sim-pit stuff--racing, War Thunder, Elite:Dangerous type stuff

If I get the Quest and use the PC Link cable--that would allow the Quest to play all my PC games, same as the Rift S--but with an option to go wireless and play a different catalog of games? The Quest also has higher resolution than the Rift S. But I guess my question would be--is there a speed difference? If I have i7/1060 gaming rig--would the frames in driving/flying be better with a tethered Rift S than a PC linked Quest? Or would they be the same? And to that end--what is the value in the 128GB Quest over the 64GB--is it the ability to hold more games? Or does it allow more to load/shorten the change scene time? i.e. When I played Vader Immortal, had to wait in the dark for a bit between scenes. (And is it something that can be added with an SO-DIMM from Amazon?)

And while asking questions you guys have probably been repeatedly answering in the lead up to Black Friday. Oculus vs HTC vs Valve. If I had a grand to drop Valve Index is the best option currently on the market, but is tethered? The certified Pre-Owned VIVE is comparable to the Rift S? The Cosmos is a better tethered VR than the Rift S? And last question--the Vive's can all be made wireless for $300--but the HTC version of truly wireless requires a gaming PC to be in the room, right?

Thanks for any direction. Have a PS/4 VR now. Whatever I get will be an upgrade. Watching people try VR for the first time with the Quest was pretty cool, I have to say. Took about two minutes to get people gaming and having fun. But as cool as it is to whip out VR at a gathering, I'd hate to give up performance, especially if it meant I have the same issues as I have the PS/4 VR--about thirty minutes and my brain would rather be somewhere else.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Tom Guycot posted:

If its not shipping until 12/8, you may just want to wait and see if info on the release of the official cable hits before then?

That is a thought. But isn't it going to be like $80? I don't think I'd want to pay that much.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

HycoCam posted:

And to that end--what is the value in the 128GB Quest over the 64GB--is it the ability to hold more games? Or does it allow more to load/shorten the change scene time? i.e. When I played Vader Immortal, had to wait in the dark for a bit between scenes. (And is it something that can be added with an SO-DIMM from Amazon?)

You’ve purchased a smartphone in the last decade, haven’t you? The bigger one holds more apps.

No, you can’t add more, but most people are OK with 64gb.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

HycoCam posted:

And last question--the Vive's can all be made wireless for $300--but the HTC version of truly wireless requires a gaming PC to be in the room, right?

Bullet Points

1) Quest is not a PCVR headset. Some in this thread will tell you its a replacement, Its not. Its fine, Its alright, Its a step up from PSVR for sure, But you're ultimately buying a mobile headset to use on PC. Just know that going into it. AGAIN IT WORKS ITS FINE, just, its not a real replacement, thats all.

2) Skip the cosmos for now. (potentially forever, they are working on "stuff" tho so we'll see)

3) Vive wands suck. But wireless owns bones. If you can light money on fire, VIVE PRO + KNUCKLES + WIRELESS = WIN

4) Wireless requires the ADAPTER to be in the room. Theres an extension that works. https://amzn.to/33x26Mx

TLDR VR Buyers guide.

Under 200? WMR, Pick one.
Under 400? Rift S
1000 and under? Index
Over 1000? Vive Pro + Wireless + Index controllers

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The Quest works well enough a PCVR headset that's it's the clear value choice. Compared to an S, the image looks a little worse, the tracking volume is a little smaller, and you need to do some extra work in getting a cable setup going. But since it can do standalone VR in a way nothing else can, unless you are going to do EXCLUSIVELY PCVR (and judging by their usage metrics that shows Quest has the highest retention, even before the Link was available, you will probably get a decent amount of use out of it at least) I really recommend considering getting a Quest.

I personally just boxed up my S and just use my Quest for everything just so I have less junk lying around my room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

unless you are going to do EXCLUSIVELY PCVR (and judging by their usage metrics that shows Quest has the highest retention, even before the Link was available, you will probably get a decent amount of use out of it at least) I really recommend considering getting a Quest.

Which is what I'm saying here.

Its "FINE"

Its not a PCVR headset. And when someone is asking about PCVR, its not going to get recommended by me as a consumer product for PCVR.

I honestly don't understand how you're happy full time in it. Did you DAS mod? Because the default strap is toxic, and the whole headphones thing is a mess.