Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I missed the 'Golddust is a filthy homo' stuff because I was young, stupid and naive. (I thought he was a heel because he was a 'weirdo', which I suppose was code for gay back in those days. But as agrown up looking back it was pretty clear that he was supposed to be gay and we were supposed to boo him purely because of that.

And I would really like to see in wrestling an effeminate gay male heel. Not the way it used to be done, where they were heel purely by virtue of being effeminate, or gay-coded. But in a way where they are a legitimate heel who just happens to be gay.

A performer like Sonny Kiss could have a lot of fun being a flamboyant, camp baddie. And so long as the queerness wasn't the sole focus of his nefarious activities in and out of the ring, I think it would be cool and good.

And on poor LGBT representation in the WWE, everybody remembers Billy and Chuck. That was going so well, until they hosed us all at the end with the wedding. (although to be honest it was a wedding in a wrestling ring, we should have known.)

Billy and Chuck was saved by the greatest prosthetic makeup of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I sincerely and genuinely loved Golddust as a kid. I loved his flamboyance and moves. Thought it was dope he was all gold and poo poo. Then when I got older and could understand what he was really was supposed to be it bummed me out. But I've been a fan of Dustin Rhodes ever since.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheKingslayer posted:

I sincerely and genuinely loved Golddust as a kid. I loved his flamboyance and moves. Thought it was dope he was all gold and poo poo. Then when I got older and could understand what he was really was supposed to be it bummed me out. But I've been a fan of Dustin Rhodes ever since.

I'd put myself in the same boat here. I think I was probably in 6th grade or so when Goldust showed up, which isn't a particularly cool age/grade level to be a fan of the flagrantly homoerotic wrestler. I even went as him for Halloween that year. My friends and I just loved him because he was different, made cool movie references, had great makeup and made people uncomfortable. As the "outcast" weirdo kids, we were very into the idea of making people uncomfortable for any reason. But, I definitely see the problematic side of the character now that I'm older and see what they were actually trying to incite in people.

As far as the rest of the thread I'd consider myself basically straight. But, I definitely had some confusion around some of my sexuality growing up that I think just opened me up to not thinking twice about stuff. The first was seeing fresh-faced, long-haired Dave Grohl in some Nirvana album liner notes and being very unsure of why I thought he was cute. Later, in high school, some friends and I saw the video for "Pure Morning" but Placebo and remarked at how much of a babe the female lead singer was. Then, one of us found out the lead singer was a guy. Our one friend seemed put off by my reaction of, "Well, I already said he was attractive so... it's not like I can change my mind."

I've never actually been with another guy before, but the idea doesn't actually turn me on at all either. Like most of us, I can weigh in when I think a guy is generally handsome but there's also a fuzzy gray area for more femme guys who I definitely feel attracted to up to a certain point. Who knows what that means! I kind of stopped trying to figure out what it means years ago and just accepted that there are babes everywhere and I like them all.

Anyway. I've never really talked about that before! But this is a neat thread, so I figured why not do a little brain dump here.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 1, 2019

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Adrian Street once beat up Jimmy Savile so he's a hero in my eyes regardless of anything else he may have done. Although from memory I'm sure he had relatively lengthy face runs in some places while keeping the character; which isn't common and is probably better for representation.

PublicOpinion posted:

I enjoy Dustin Rhodes's work now even if he's a Blue Lives type, and I liked some of the work where Goldust was just "weird" rather than gay but when we've watched old stuff, it sucks. I'm bi and most of my wrestling watching group is queer in some way and old stuff is a minefield. Hell, lots of modern stuff is a minefield, I love DDT but Deino is a rough watch sometimes. He's a respected pillar of DDT and not a villain, I believe it's semi-confirmed he's actually gay, and he's got his own brand of charisma but drat if I wish he could get away from some of his schtick.

With Japan its hard to say: a lot of people are very private about things especially LGBT people and issues - the bigger wrestling promotions seem fine with it. The Dieno thing came from the DDT documentary on Vice: what I remember happening was former DDT wrestler Shigehiro Irie (who incidentally was in London during Pride and went with his current partner Yuu and the rest of the EVE group so they're allies if not LGBT themselves which is cool) basically said something about how he thought the character was offensive; Sanshiro Takagi said that he is gay but you don't know with promoters a lot of the time if they're being truthful and Dieno implied he was without explicitly saying it. I think they've realised the harm it could cause and they've slightly changed things up but its still something that's hard to explain to people especially since DDT does a lot right when it comes to the presentation of women in mixed matches and booking a trans woman credibly and strongly.

One cool sort of related thing: Marvelous (a Joshi company owned by Chigusa Nagayo) announced a couple of matches for their Korakuen Hall show on the 8th: one of them being Takumi Iroha + Syuri vs Asuka (the above-mentioned freelancer that works a lot for DDT not the WWE one) and Nyla Rose (from AEW, worked a fair few Japan tours for Marvelous before going to AEW). What makes this interesting is that I think its the highest profile match which has two openly trans wrestlers (probably the two most prominent openly-trans wrestlers) teaming with each other which is a really cool thing especially coming from a women's promotion. I don't think this was an intentional decision they made (I think Mio Momono was meant to be in Asuka's spot before she got hurt again; her and Nyla were regular partners) but even as something they've done as an injury replacement its cool.

https://twitter.com/crushTKB/status/1200417542587609089?s=20

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Spikegal posted:

Licking pussy and eating rear end - also loving awesome and one of my biggest joys in this world.

Badasses are always eating assholes asses

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
*triple h voice* THEY CALL ME THE rear end-EATER

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah I gotta say a lot of the charm of the Dalton Castle gimmick evaporated for me when he made it explicitly clear in a rolling stone interview that he was straight and had a wife

Wait for real? Yeah, that doesn't exactly kill the gimmick for me but I'm making a bad face. Juice seems like a good example of how to do a flamboyant gimmick without leaning on old gay stereotypes.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

IceAgeComing posted:

Adrian Street once beat up Jimmy Savile so he's a hero in my eyes regardless of anything else he may have done. Although from memory I'm sure he had relatively lengthy face runs in some places while keeping the character; which isn't common and is probably better for representation.

According to Adrian, he was going for a David Bowie-style glam thing to appeal to women and it went much differently when he got in front of working class English fans, but it got him booked so he kept with it. He did get some face runs here and there (including Memphis, I think) based on being a legit tough motherfucker in real life.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Gumball Gumption posted:

Wait for real? Yeah, that doesn't exactly kill the gimmick for me but I'm making a bad face. Juice seems like a good example of how to do a flamboyant gimmick without leaning on old gay stereotypes.

yeah ive heard a few dalton castle interviews and he makes a bit of a point to assure the audience that he is very straight and his penis likes ladies

its a good wrestling gimmick, but yeah unfortunately falls on the "its funny to act queer" side.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Im sure most people are already aware of them, but for those unfortunate few that have not, I thoroughly recommend watching The Nobodies on YouTube. Drag Queens and a gay guy talking about wrestling gives me so much life and Im all about signalboosting LGBT voices in the wrestling community.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBnBe0NLOLk0KqlKs4KiXLg

In this house, we stan Ariel Italic, Lady Bearica Andrews and DJ Accident Report.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

jimmydalad posted:

I’m sure most people are already aware of them, but for those unfortunate few that have not, I thoroughly recommend watching The Nobodies on YouTube. Drag Queens and a gay guy talking about wrestling gives me so much life and I’m all about signalboosting LGBT voices in the wrestling community.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBnBe0NLOLk0KqlKs4KiXLg

In this house, we stan Ariel Italic, Lady Bearica Andrews and DJ Accident Report.

I have never heard of it before but now I'm ALL IN

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

hi one of the words in my username is no longer true, well, bye

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Sup

https://twitter.com/Sherndon226/status/1200582515850919942?s=19

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Ariel Italic rules and coward Tony needs to sign her as a manager yesterday

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Being bi and a teenaged wrestling fan in the Attitude era was real, real uncomfortable. It's still not anywhere near where it should be, but it is still a night and day difference from what it used to be, and it's incredibly heartening to have seen that growth happen.

Also I'm like a page and a half late, but Hoodslam is not only one of the most inclusive wrestling spaces I've been in but one of the most downright fun and stupid and anyone who's ever in the bay area should go.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

hi one of the words in my username is no longer true, well, bye

oh no did you install windows

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

CarlCX posted:

Being bi and a teenaged wrestling fan in the Attitude era was real, real uncomfortable. It's still not anywhere near where it should be, but it is still a night and day difference from what it used to be, and it's incredibly heartening to have seen that growth happen.

Also I'm like a page and a half late, but Hoodslam is not only one of the most inclusive wrestling spaces I've been in but one of the most downright fun and stupid and anyone who's ever in the bay area should go.

I laugh a lot at the Rocks whole Mr. Positivity image nowadays when he got over as a face calling everyone under the sun an ugly hermaphrodite and AFAIK has never apologized for that

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

oh no did you install windows

that one was never accurate.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I have never heard of it before but now I'm ALL IN

They just got their page deleted on Facebook.

They were hosting an event named "MEN ARE TRASH" and it got flagged for hate speech lmao.

Then they changed the name of the event to "JK MEN ARE GOOD" and it still got tagged. Then their page disappeared.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I'm going to say something a little controversial.

It's okay to be an LGBT wrestling fan.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

But you still don't want to be like me.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Pollyanna posted:

But you still don't want to be like me.

Because your dumb family doesn't like AEW.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I'm not around here like I used to be but this thread makes me happy

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Gay dude here. Even though I don't post a lot, this forum's really important to me 'cause I'm pretty lonely in my IRL wrestling fandom. I'm fairly new to where I live (Charlotte) and don't really have any friends here, much less ones who'll understand why I get so giddy watching an Okada dropkick. I'm so happy that AEW has come along 'cause WWE finally drove me away for good a couple years ago and NJPW, great as it is, can be hard for me to follow when it's not G1 or BOSJ season.

My favorite wrestling memory is Mankind winning the World Title for the first time. The last hour of RAW went on past my bedtime, so 13-year-old me was doing his best to not freak out too loudly while his favorite wrestler triumphantly ran around the ring with his hard-won prize.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Gay dude here. Even though I don't post a lot, this forum's really important to me 'cause I'm pretty lonely in my IRL wrestling fandom. I'm fairly new to where I live (Charlotte) and don't really have any friends here, much less ones who'll understand why I get so giddy watching an Okada dropkick. I'm so happy that AEW has come along 'cause WWE finally drove me away for good a couple years ago and NJPW, great as it is, can be hard for me to follow when it's not G1 or BOSJ season.

My favorite wrestling memory is Mankind winning the World Title for the first time. The last hour of RAW went on past my bedtime, so 13-year-old me was doing his best to not freak out too loudly while his favorite wrestler triumphantly ran around the ring with his hard-won prize.

My favorite wrestle memory is Austin winning the rumble, watched it at a friends house cause we were too poor to buy PPVs back then. Then The Bad Company was poo poo for like 1000 years so I stopped watching and only came here to shitpost. Now with AEW wrestling isn't just good to watch, it's cool again. I talk to my coworkers, family, and friends about it, which is fine even though my FiL's fav wrestler is Britt Baker.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
lol im still too poor to afford ppvs

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

WatermelonGun posted:

lol i’m still too poor to afford ppvs

word

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Has anyone incorporated death drops into their moveset/celebration? That would be pretty cool.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've been too afraid to go to shows since I transitioned, and WWE isn't my thing anyway, but I'm not gonna' live my life like that, so when AEW comes to town, I'm going.

I followed Defy on Facebook, too.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

DEFY is a safe space for LGBT folk. There's a show tonight and another tomorrow. 321 Battle and Lucha Volcanica in the area are also good for us

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I've been too afraid to go to shows since I transitioned, and WWE isn't my thing anyway, but I'm not gonna' live my life like that, so when AEW comes to town, I'm going.

I followed Defy on Facebook, too.

Coward Tony come to Portland

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

DEFY is fantastic and, depending on the performer, often dips its toes into drag show territory.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jimmydalad posted:

Has anyone incorporated death drops into their moveset/celebration? That would be pretty cool.

Nakamura

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I'm queer as gently caress and have watched wrestling since mid-94 for some reason. The Nobodies are great even if their recent thing of some kind of reclaiming of the f-slur makes me hell of uncomfortable. I don't really have other interesting things to say.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
This might actually be the most wholesome thread about professional wrestling I have ever read. I appreciate all the LGBTQ+ goons lifting each others spirits and forming the best stable ever created.

I only home the homophobia goes away soon in other communities AND in mainline products. It's a fight worth having, but I hope you find that one cutie to smooch! (unless you are aromantic, which is also very valid as well!)

Just give me some more flippy-doos.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

jimmydalad posted:

Or local school here in Austin has a wrestler named Romeo Coxxx who is openly gay and makes it part of his character. His entrance includes a death drop once he gets into the ring and it's pretty great.

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.
I only really started getting into wrestling in like the mid-2000s, as a rather young kid honestly. It was probably a little bit before the WWE went PG and it wasn't really a hardcore thing for me until like 08-09 when that was pretty much in full swing so I really didn't know about most of the worst bits of Goldie's portrayal's but I loved him because he was pretty under appreciated. Also he kicked people in the balls and that was pretty awesome.

He really really was super misused looking back on it though. Like even putting aside all the "lol gay molester evil" poo poo and he really wasn't given as much as his skill deserved. The poo poo with R-Truth from a few years ago was pretty funny and teaming with Cody (yes, even when they made Cody into a 2nd rate Goldust for a while) gave me warm fuzzies.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Xerzes posted:

I'm queer as gently caress and have watched wrestling since mid-94 for some reason. The Nobodies are great even if their recent thing of some kind of reclaiming of the f-slur makes me hell of uncomfortable. I don't really have other interesting things to say.

I mean queer people using that term jokingly or as a term of endearment has been around for forever, but Im also not a huge fan of it myself

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I have witnessed far too many "but I'm an ally, why I can't I say it?" meltdowns to be comfortable with it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

I'm fine with it in queer spaces or used by obviously queer people with other queers, that being said if a straight person says it in earshot of me then one of us is going to the hospital so ymmv. I don't give a gently caress if you have gay friends or whatever other bullshit excuse you pull out, say The Bad Word and I'll do everything in my power to make you regret your poor decisions.

TTBF posted:

I have witnessed far too many "but I'm an ally, why I can't I say it?" meltdowns to be comfortable with it myself.

"Allies" suck so loving bad so often

Prokhor Zakharov fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 1, 2019