Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So having watched the subbed version of the preview it appears that not only may Lala be exposed as an alien but it’s possible she might also have to reveal her identity as a Precure as well. The photo of Lala, Fuwa, and Prunce was also apparently sent in by somebody near the school so it’s possible we have a spy in our midst.

The NotRaiders suddenly launching a full assault on the school also sort of reminds me of the end of Go Princess where the Cures are forced into a corner and have to reveal themselves publicly in order to actually do their jobs. I’m hoping something similar winds up happening here.

Next week should be an interesting one if nothing else. Personally, I kind of hope everything comes out into the open next time, that way we can spend the remainder of the series dealing with the fallout and how it shakes up the current status quo.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So a summary has been released for this weeks episode and welp:

quote:

A rumour has been spread around the school regarding Lala. Furthermore, Lala transforms in front of her classmates to protect them!?[

So yeah, looks like the cat’s finally out of the bag (as far as Lala’s classmates are concerned anyway) and we’ve still got at least 9 more episodes to go. Only question is whether the other four will wind up following suit.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 16, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well it seems to be official:

The entire Star Twinkle team will apparently be revealing their identities publicly in tonight’s episode. And with 9 or so episodes left to go I’m curious to see how things play out from here

Source: https://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1573866815&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah that was not just a real good Star Twinkle episode I'd place that up there with some of the best precure episodes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, Star Twinkle 40: That was a fantastic episode. Lots of great lighting, and a very quiet and somber atmosphere that leads to Lala awakening her Twinkle Imagination. In the end, the students rally around Lala when she defends them from Kappard - she's been with them so long that they don't care if she's an alien.

So I guess all the established rules in this season have just been tossed out the window now. I’m very curious to see where they go from here.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 17, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Next week seems to be Madoka vs her dad which is probably also going to go places

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wow, in the last few episodes this series has suddenly gotten really good again, hope they can keep this up.

I’m still curious what they’re going to do about Elena though as she didn’t seem to get her Twinkle Imagination last episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Summary for Episode 41:

quote:

Madoka has to study in London once she finishes her duties as the Student Council President. However, Madoka is conflicted about whether to study abroad

Sounds almost identical to Reika’s last focus episode in Smile honestly. I’m guessing there’s going to be more to it than that though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also this might have been something that was referenced before and I’m reading too much into it but isn’t it a coincidence that right after Fuyuki (Madoka’s father) learns his daughter is a superhero and is willingly colluding with space aliens he immediately starts talking about sending her overseas.

Unless Darknest himself decides to personally take the field I’m guessing 42 will be about Hikaru and Kappard (much like Yuni and Aiwan they’ve got their own little feud going on that still needs to be settled).

Also subs are out for episode 40, everyone watch it if you haven’t already because this is a really good one.

Edit: Also in keeping with my “Fuyuki is Darknest” theory, when Kappard turns him into a weapon in this episode he becomes this:

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 17, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx-M6uUNVvY

Futari wa Precure is getting a hi-def blu-ray release... sort of. They're recapping the series into about four hours worth of movie style content. Kind of a shame because I was really hoping for a hi-def version of my favorite season in its entirely but it's absolutely better than nothing and I guess it's gonna have a bunch of extras like cast interviews.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx-M6uUNVvY

Futari wa Precure is getting a hi-def blu-ray release... sort of. They're recapping the series into about four hours worth of movie style content. Kind of a shame because I was really hoping for a hi-def version of my favorite season in its entirely but it's absolutely better than nothing and I guess it's gonna have a bunch of extras like cast interviews.

There’s a bit more info here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/precure/comments/dyheal/futari_wa_precure_bluray_on_sale_feb_26_disc_2/

Not entirely sure why they’re condensing the series down to a set of mini movies rather than just remastering it as is but still neat none the less.

Off the subject, this might get contradicted later but I’ve come up with a theory regarding Twinkle Imagination.

As Tsubomi sort of stated at the end of HeartCatch, Precure fight for love and to protect what’s precious to them, not for the sake of some personal vendetta (after all, beating someone up just because you don’t like them sounds more like the actions of a playground bully than a hero. There’s a fine line between vengeance and justice). To that end, so far Twinkle Imagination only seems to unlock when the girls perform a truly selfless act.

Even if she technically shouldn’t have had to apologize as Aiwan’s crimes still far outweighed anything she herself ever did, Yuni still found it in her heart to forgive her biggest enemy, and by finally letting go of the hate she’d carried around for years she was able to reach her true potential.

In Lala’s case, even though her classmates initially turned on her after her secret was discovered she still chose to put her life on the line (and even completely expose her identity) to protect them with everything she had.

Elena on the other hand seemed like she just wanted to prove a point to Tenjou (well meaning though it might have been) and wasn’t really risking anything she didn’t already do on a daily basis by that point nor did she really seem to emphasize with her opponent at all so of course nothing happened there.

Of course we’ll have to see if Madoka and Hikaru wind up following this pattern as well but it’s the best explanation I can think of right now.

The title hasn’t been translated yet but 42 appears to be another Elena spotlight, meaning she’ll be getting another chance after all rather than just doubling up with someone else.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 20, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That seems odd though doing a few summary movies with new animation probably would be a project I would be into

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In non Precure related news, Viz has finally completed their dub of the 90’s Sailor Moon anime (the last set for Stars came out on the 12th).

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

It's pretty wild that there's an official English release of Sailor Stars. The dubs of Dark Kingdom and Black Moon Clan arcs were pretty okay, I'd be interested in watching the rest.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

It's pretty wild that there's an official English release of Sailor Stars. The dubs of Dark Kingdom and Black Moon Clan arcs were pretty okay, I'd be interested in watching the rest.

Everything should be up on Viz’s website for free streaming by now. The dub is pretty decent honestly, check it out if you like.

Now if only they’d do something new with the franchise one day (or at least just let it die in peace).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some new Star Twinkle episode titles have been released:

42: "Lost Smiles, Confused Elena."

43: "Emitting Feelings Through Smiles☆ Tenjo VS Elena!"

44: "Supri~se☆ Santa Is An Alien!?"

Two Elena spotlights in a row? Wasn't expecting that honestly. With 44 being the Christmas episode I guess this means that Hikaru's turn probably won't come until sometime during the final arc of the series.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

It's about time Elena got some focus. Speaking as someone who is bi-racial myself I think the way that her episodes have been handled so far has been really good, they're actually addressing the issues of being half and looking different rather than just glossing over them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s a little late (and took 39 episodes just to give her a backstory) but I’m glad Elena is at least getting something before the end of the series. Getting the Christmas episode out of the way in 44 is a good idea as well as that way they have a decent chunk of time to give this show a decent finale.

I’m also curious to see where this show goes from here now that the Precure’s identities are public knowledge (to their classmates at least). Counting this week we’ve still got at least 9 episodes left after all.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Pikestaff posted:

It's about time Elena got some focus. Speaking as someone who is bi-racial myself I think the way that her episodes have been handled so far has been really good, they're actually addressing the issues of being half and looking different rather than just glossing over them.

Elena has been real good and I hope those episode are real good. Elena is kinda of the silent glue holding the shows themes together IMO.. Having her episode with Tenjo before the last episode with Lala being revealed as an alien gave the theme more weight cause we go back to last week and go "oh they're doing that to Lala they could do that to Elena easily too"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Twinkle 41: This week on Reika's Episode From Smile, a socialite is going to go overseas, but a confrontation with the "main" villain and clever use of her bow and arrow will get her out of her funk. Even if it's using a very similar script to Reika's episode, StarPri has been more serialized, and the conflict between Madoka and her father has been front and center basically since her debut. So the payoff carries a little more weight than Reika wondering which path to go down.

I always like these just-before-the-endgame episodes, when the Cures are summing up their character arcs just before the final confrontation. And Madoka’s the first one whose use of Twinkle Imagination really showed a power boost. She was able to use her arrow to clear the clouds and throw Galogre/Dogold off balance before the usual finisher stock footage.

I'm always glad to get more Elena episodes, and so soon after her English one. Which wasn't her TI episode, but it does look like it was setting up for it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Super amused that Madoka's Dad Is nothing more than somebody that follow's orders and the show called it out this episode.

Back half continues to be good and is really raising the show for me

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out for 41. With Madoka’s father seemingly giving up both alien hunting and being a stern father the whole “Fuyuki is Darknest” theory might be shot at this point (that said, there was brief moment in the previous episode where he looks shocked, glances straight at Kappard with a serious expression on his face for a second, and then goes right back to looking shocked).

I’m fine with him being just a random jerk though as long as he actually learns something from his behavior (especially after the crap he pulled with Lala). This episode looks like it’s at least laying the groundwork for that though (even if it did seem to let Fuyuki off the hook a little too easily in my opinion). The episode also featured one of the better fights in the season and a nice scene between Madoka and Elena.

I’m still curious why they’re hiding the name of Darknest’s VA though but I imagine we’ll find out soon enough. Since they’re doing the Christmas episode early this year I’m guessing Hikaru’s Twinkle Imagination episode will come directly after that, at which point we’ll break for new year’s like always and then jump straight into the final arc of the show.

Looking forward to a double dose of Elena coming up though. It might be a rough one though as she looks like she’s about ready to cry at the end of the preview (or snap, one of the two). It took way longer than it should have but I’m glad they’re at least finally trying to give her some development at this point.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 24, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Things I didn't expect to see for Preorder at Gamestop Canada.....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Is twinkle imagination not what hikaru got when she beat kappard’s himenojou-Sakura-powered weapon? It sure looked similar, even if it wasn’t named at the time.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Caithness posted:

Is twinkle imagination not what hikaru got when she beat kappard’s himenojou-Sakura-powered weapon? It sure looked similar, even if it wasn’t named at the time.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caithness posted:

There was a similar glow, yes (plus the power surge was great enough that even the Star Princesses took notice of it, meaning it was most likely Twinkle Imagination).

However the Cures didn’t know what it was at the time so I imagine Hikaru will still be getting a focus episode later though if only just to confirm this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, I imagine Aiwan’s coming back at some point as well. I’m very curious to see what she’s going to do now that she can’t go back to the NotRaiders and even her revenge against Yuni has now been denied her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So Splash Star apparently had a special short film that I’d never heard of before:

https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/pretty-cure-splash-star-magic-doki-3d-theater-movie

You can read a plot synopsis of it here:

https://precuredaily.tumblr.com/post/186787563460/precure-bonus-day

Or just watch the whole thing yourself:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=otqsgzF7pLw

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 25, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 26, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another potential Healin’ Good Leak:

The art style matches up as far as I can tell (also it fits with the current rumor of us starting with a Pink and Green duo) and it looks like official merchandise but we’ll see of course. I’m going to call this one plausible at the very least.

Though that said, you might recall that this early Star Twinkle image also had similar black text on it and turned out to be real (which makes me a little more inclined to think this one is legit):

Edit: Nevermind, looks like it’s another fake. This is the full image from that supposed “leak”:

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 27, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

https://twitter.com/toeianime_info/status/1200157435756830720

"Heal the earth with animal partners!"

The website won't load currently, maybe it's being overloaded?

edit: http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/healingood_precure/

Just the logo and the same info that's in the tweet so far.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 28, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So nature and animal themed huh? Sounds interesting, I wonder if we’ll see a return of animal themed suits and powers ala KiraKira.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And we have a rough picture of what appears to be the Healin Good Cure designs (it definitely matches the art style anyway):

Looks very Happiness Charge-esque but not too bad overall. I’d still take this with a massive grain of salt of course.

Edit: Nevermind, it’s looking like this may be another fake. But with the website already up I can’t imagine it’ll be too much longer until we get the official reveal.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 29, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, if anyone’s looking for an alternative to the Anon subs for Star Twinkle (as it’s looking like Overtime may have dropped the series entirely at this point), a new group called AnonimOT has started working on the series from where they left off and have currently released episodes 33-36 (they also release full episodes rather than just sub files).

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, if anyone’s looking for an alternative to the Anon subs for Star Twinkle (as it’s looking like Overtime may have dropped the series entirely at this point), a new group called AnonimOT has started working on the series from where they left off and have currently released episodes 33-36 (they also release full episodes rather than just sub files).

Do they call her Fuwa or Puff? This is crucial in my decision.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

Do they call her Fuwa or Puff? This is crucial in my decision.

Fuwa, and Hikaru’s catchphrase is back to being “Twincool” rather than a whole lot of different versions. Basically it’s a scrub of the Anon subs to make things a little closer to Overtime’s translation style. Personally I don’t have a problem with the Anon subs but I was just throwing this out there as another option.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Fuwa, and Hikaru’s catchphrase is back to being “Twincool” rather than a whole lot of different versions. Basically it’s a scrub of the Anon subs to make things a little closer to Overtime’s translation style. Personally I don’t have a problem with the Anon subs but I was just throwing this out there as another option.

loving incredible, I'm sold.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

No idea if they have a website or anything but I personally got them from here:

https://animetosho.org/series/star-twinkle-precure.14459

Like I said, they’re only up to 36 so far but seem to be moving at a fairly decent pace.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

New Precure leaks

https://twitter.com/takanotume_/status/1200697558395281409

(Wasting Umikoshi designs on My Hero joke hurts but than new Doremi made me feel better)

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Larryb posted:

They have, yeah.

https://twitter.com/overtimesubs/status/1198065036729749505?s=19