Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys, I just wanted to post the following article (even though it's a couple weeks old) about the MIT professor who was defending Epstein

Students Are Demanding MIT Fire a Professor Who Visited Epstein in Prison
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ne8yvk/students-are-demanding-mit-fire-a-professor-who-visited-epstein-in-prison

A personal note about this particular article: my younger sister was among the few students at MIT who dropped his class because of the way he chose to handle this issue with his students, and she ended up writing an op-ed in MIT's student newspaper. This article quotes her extensively, both from the op-ed and in other comments.

I gotta say, I was pretty drat surprised and shocked when I read it - my sister and I haven't talked much lately (not out of dislike, we just both have fairly busy lives and live in different places and have a 13-year age gap) so I was very shocked and surprised to see this article! I actually checked to make sure it hadn't been posted by someone else.

I really can't quite say just quite how much pride I felt (and still feel) at what she did in terms of speaking out. The fact that she was the only single student or teacher in the entire goddamn university who stood up in the first place and actually said publicly, "Hey, this really is not cool, and here's why it's not cool." It's just seriously brave to do that, and she's smart enough to understand why most people (victims of sexual assault especially) would be unable or unwilling to stand up like that. Not to mention having the confidence to do it in the first place, and articulate her point at all. But really - I don't think I could possibly feel any more proud of her at all, even if I'm just her older brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

British directors has created 96 guidelines for filming sex scenes:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/nov/21/rules-for-screen-sex-scenes-issued-to-british-directors

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Hopefully they recommend not randomly cutting to the guy's face during the scene.

Always awkward.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

And looks.

Also, one of the things I find the weirdest about Hollywood as a Business Culture is how being a verbally and even sometimes physically abusive piece of poo poo to people is completely and totally accepted as normal if you happen to be their boss. Anyone who's spent any time working in Hollywood can tell you that movies like Swimming with Sharks might as well be documentaries.

Like, there are plenty of other high stress industries, even industries where mistakes can cost, not just a lot of money, but peoples actual lives, yet (while there are certainly individual exceptions) strangely most bosses in these other industries don't feel that it's acceptable to verbally abuse their subordinates, especially not to anywhere near the extent than occurs in Hollywood. It's honestly really loving sick. And the fact that it's such a fundamental part of the Hollywood business culture goes a long way to explaining why all of this other sexual assault/harassment etc poo poo goes on as well.

Too much power concentrated in too few hands, combined with too little accountability. IMO Hollywood bosses verbally abusing and treating their subordinates like garbage is unsurprising and both it and the sex abuse are fruits of that same tree.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Sucrose posted:

Too much power concentrated in too few hands, combined with too little accountability. IMO Hollywood bosses verbally abusing and treating their subordinates like garbage is unsurprising and both it and the sex abuse are fruits of that same tree.

This is also a school thing. Acting coaches and teachers can be huge dicks because everyone wants to be an actor.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If only we could have realised the casting couch stuff was rape earlier, luckily there's definitely nobody doing it any more.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

twerking on the railroad posted:

This is also a school thing. Acting coaches and teachers can be huge dicks because everyone wants to be an actor.

see: james franco

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone who's spent any time working in Hollywood can tell you that movies like Swimming with Sharks might as well be documentaries.

surprised I haven't heard of this one

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

kaworu posted:

Hey guys, I just wanted to post the following article (even though it's a couple weeks old) about the MIT professor who was defending Epstein

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ne8yvk/students-are-demanding-mit-fire-a-professor-who-visited-epstein-in-prison

A personal note about this particular article: my younger sister was among the few students at MIT who dropped his class because of the way he chose to handle this issue with his students, and she ended up writing an op-ed in MIT's student newspaper. This article quotes her extensively, both from the op-ed and in other comments.

I gotta say, I was pretty drat surprised and shocked when I read it - my sister and I haven't talked much lately (not out of dislike, we just both have fairly busy lives and live in different places and have a 13-year age gap) so I was very shocked and surprised to see this article! I actually checked to make sure it hadn't been posted by someone else.

I really can't quite say just quite how much pride I felt (and still feel) at what she did in terms of speaking out. The fact that she was the only single student or teacher in the entire goddamn university who stood up in the first place and actually said publicly, "Hey, this really is not cool, and here's why it's not cool." It's just seriously brave to do that, and she's smart enough to understand why most people (victims of sexual assault especially) would be unable or unwilling to stand up like that. Not to mention having the confidence to do it in the first place, and articulate her point at all. But really - I don't think I could possibly feel any more proud of her at all, even if I'm just her older brother.

Thanks for sharing that! Lots of respect to your sister for speaking out the way she has.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

-Blackadder- posted:

And looks.

Also, one of the things I find the weirdest about Hollywood as a Business Culture is how being a verbally and even sometimes physically abusive piece of poo poo to people is completely and totally accepted as normal if you happen to be their boss. Anyone who's spent any time working in Hollywood can tell you that movies like Swimming with Sharks might as well be documentaries.

Like, there are plenty of other high stress industries, even industries where mistakes can cost, not just a lot of money, but peoples actual lives, yet (while there are certainly individual exceptions) strangely most bosses in these other industries don't feel that it's acceptable to verbally abuse their subordinates, especially not to anywhere near the extent than occurs in Hollywood. It's honestly really loving sick. And the fact that it's such a fundamental part of the Hollywood business culture goes a long way to explaining why all of this other sexual assault/harassment etc poo poo goes on as well.

It's rife throughout show biz of all kinds (especially the music industry) and even most of the arts. Pretty much any industry which separates the 'talents' from the 'bean counters' and has a system where starry-eyed up-and-coming hopefuls have to impress financial gatekeepers in order to get their foot in the door will always have powerful people behind the scenes being absolute monsters and abusing the hell out of everyone they can.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

kaworu posted:

Good for your sister, be sure to let them know how proud you are of them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/1200488111224098816?s=19

Losing 1 year if income and the systemic elimination of all yourself and all your family are basically the same thing.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/1200488111224098816?s=19

Losing 1 year if income and the systemic elimination of all yourself and all your family are basically the same thing.

Eh there’s another line to the joke that makes it obvious he’s mocking that kind of self pity

More generally, however, I don’t care what Louis CK is doing. He’s getting a lot of publicity by making jokes that piss off people who want him deplatformed or w/e so this is basically his plan

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

“Got your snowflakes right here snowflake”

*jacks off*

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Soon Louis ck’s act will be like Gallagher’s in that you need a plastic sheet to protect yourself I. The front rows and also it’s done by a chudbrained old dad

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Once again, the trend of going to a “cancelled” comedian’s show and writing down their jokes and then reporting on their jokes as though they are not jokes is dumbest and most dishonest form of comedy journalism possible and is a plot from the ground up to generate as many clicks and views as possible.

Louis C.K. Has literally always done horrible, crass, vulgar comedy. You’re not catching him debasing himself to appeal to a more right wing audience or whatever the gently caress you’re insinuating, it’s just embarrassing.

Or as female POC comedian Rae Sanni of Black Lady Sketch Show puts it
https://twitter.com/raesanni/status/1200613170865262596?s=21

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 30, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Louis CK committed a crime. If you go to his shows write it all down and post it. He deserves it.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Why are half of the posts in this thread about a single stand up comedian who doesn't even work in Hollywood :confused:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Why are half of the posts in this thread about a single stand up comedian who doesn't even work in Hollywood :confused:

He just finished writing a directing a movie, he's written and directed movies before. Don't be dense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Once again, the trend of going to a “cancelled” comedian’s show and writing down their jokes and then reporting on their jokes as though they are not jokes is dumbest and most dishonest form of comedy journalism possible and is a plot from the ground up to generate as many clicks and views as possible.

Louis C.K. Has literally always done horrible, crass, vulgar comedy. You’re not catching him debasing himself to appeal to a more right wing audience or whatever the gently caress you’re insinuating, it’s just embarrassing.

Or as female POC comedian Rae Sanni of Black Lady Sketch Show puts it
https://twitter.com/raesanni/status/1200613170865262596?s=21

Because even if it's a joke it still has the same undercurrent to it "I don't like this place because they were mean to me about my sexual harassment."

Like even in the replies to that you posted, people are pointing out that the issue is that he's making himself the victim of what he did and quietly encouraging his fans to act like shitheads and complain about 'cancel culture' and things like that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 1, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

King Vidiot posted:

He just finished writing a directing a movie, he's written and directed movies before. Don't be dense.

He's also done a bunch of acting.

Also, Hollywood is a metaphor, Harvey Weinstein lives in New York.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

because when he finds a tact that works to get him back into the limelight every other rear end in a top hat who ever sexually assaulted a woman is gonna try to squeeze through that same hole.

edit: i should point out that i do think that article takes his joke about auschwitz out of context, and it does sound like a joke he would have made and could have been genuinely subversive had he not made it in the context of trying to whitewash his behavior. he's still out there trying to convince people that what he did isn't wrong, it's just impolite and crass, and that no one should lose their career over just being impolite and crass, especially not a comedian. he wants you to think that he's learned his lesson and he won't ask women to let him jerk it in front of them any more because it will get him in trouble but i haven't seen a single ounce of reflection on the actual nature of what he did: how he used the power dynamic in his chosen field to his advantage and the fact that if you are a powerful man, asking some woman you work with to let you whack it in front of them is not a situation where actual consent can be obtained. The joke about a concentration camp in full context is offensive when it's taken out of context, but the line in the NYDN article that should really make you shudder, precisely because of the context, is this one:

quote:

The funnyman reportedly conceded in Israel that he had masturbated in front of women, which he admitted was wrong, and doesn’t recommend doing.

"If they say ‘yes,’ then still don’t do it, because it’s not popular,” he joked.

what he did is reduced to how the public feels about it, rather than the inherent wrongness of being someone on the level that Louis was and asking a coworker/underling/fellow performer if you can masturbate in front of them, because of how the power dynamic works.

in short, gently caress Louis C.K.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 1, 2019

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

He's been an actor, writer and director in Hollywood for over twenty years in both TV and movies, plenty of which are extremely well-known and have been critical and commercial successes.

How the gently caress do you get "doesn't even work in Hollywood" from his career?

Edit: oh god is this some kind of "he mostly works in New York City" pedantry?

also because it can't be said enough

DC Murderverse posted:

in short, gently caress Louis C.K.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Louis CK has been an unrepentant rear end in a top hat since his MeToo moment but maybe my fellow woke friends should stop using clickbait tweets from tabloid newspapers as the source of their outrage

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

No, he's obviously a valid target and a piece of poo poo as a human being, but catching up on the thread from a good bit back he seems to be by far the most common individual topic of discussion, which felt odd, considering the number of bigger fish out there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's actually worth talking about how a sexual predator suffered zero legal consequences, continues to work in entertainment, has learned nothing, and thinks he's the victim.

We can stop mentioning it when he stops doing new terrible things.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

No, he's obviously a valid target and a piece of poo poo as a human being, but catching up on the thread from a good bit back he seems to be by far the most common individual topic of discussion, which felt odd, considering the number of bigger fish out there.

most of them have shut up, for the most part. the only other person who is out there actively trying to do PR on their dead career right atm is Bill Cosby and lol if you think that's going to happen from Actual Prison. Spacey, Lauer, Weinstein, etc are all starting to come back out of the shadows but when they do they're still trying to be inconspicuous, trying to get reintegrated with their social circles before trying to reinvigorate their careers. Louis obviously didn't have as long a period of social ostracization so now he's first back into the career reboot pool.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just found out my local con invited Vic Mignoga(voice actor mostly) and pretty loving pissed about it. He would touch fans without their consent in photos, give them his personal number, done some real obvious grooming attempts. Cons still invite him as a "virtue signal" to trash people that they are on their side. They announcement had a huge "we'll be providing tons of security so don't even try anything" vibe to it as well.

I really enjoyed that con last year, spent hundreds of dollars. Won't be going again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Billy Eillish says Drake has been texting her since she was 17

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Isn’t she uh still 17. People buying her schtick at that age is weird

Also drake wanting to “hang out” with eleven has been an open thing

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

Billy Eillish says Drake has been texting her since she was 17

on the one hand you might think "dude is the most popular rapper in the world and could have any woman he wants why would he keep texting teenagers" but then you listen to his music and realize that no matter how popular he is, deep in his soul he is That Creepy Older Guy

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Some people couldn’t get over degrassi

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alan Smithee posted:

Shows real good tbf

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

his career peaked with it and tbh that show was entertaining as hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Degrassi is cool but gently caress Drake.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Degrassi is cool but gently caress Drake.

I think the median age of the forums is somewhere in the late 20s early 30s at the youngest, so no chance of that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Skwirl posted:

I think the median age of the forums is somewhere in the late 20s early 30s at the youngest, so no chance of that.

drat lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

:golfclap:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Scarlett's not backing away from the ledge on her Woody Allen hot take.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/11/scarlett-johansson-oscars-issue-cover-story

quote:

First, I ask Johansson about the general phenomenon whereby she has said things which have generated substantial amounts of fuss; her reply is a spirited one.

“I’m not a politician, and I can’t lie about the way I feel about things,” she says. “I don’t have that. It’s just not a part of my personality. I don’t want to have to edit myself, or temper what I think or say. I can’t live that way. It’s just not me. And also I think that when you have that kind of integrity, it’s going to probably rub people, some people, the wrong way. And that’s kind of par for the course, I guess.”

Then we discuss the specific recent Allen hullabaloo. Though she rues what she sees as inflammatory impulses behind journalists even raising the subject (then, and presumably perhaps also now), Johansson says that she was accurately quoted and that what she said remains her view.

“Even though there’s moments where I feel maybe more vulnerable because I’ve spoken my own opinion about something, my own truth and experience about it—and I know that it might be picked apart in some way, people might have a visceral reaction to it—I think it’s dangerous to temper how you represent yourself, because you’re afraid of that kind of response. That, to me, doesn’t seem very progressive at all. That seems scary.”

I ask her whether any of the criticisms, when she heard them, made her think that they had a point.

“I don’t know—I feel the way I feel about it,” she says. “It’s my experience. I don’t know any more than any other person knows. I only have a close proximity with Woody…he’s a friend of mine. But I have no other insight other than my relationship with him.”

We talk on about this, and I suggest that, as much as there is an argument for the validity of her voicing her own experience, one of the things that makes some people uncomfortable with an opinion like that being expressed is that she is also effectively saying, in 2019, to a woman who has spoken out: “I don’t believe you.”

“Yeah,” she says, and that single word hangs there for a while. “I do understand how that is triggering for some people. But just because I believe my friend does not mean that I don’t support women, believe women. I think you have to take it on a case-by-case basis. You can’t have this blanket statement—I don’t believe that. But that’s my personal belief. That’s how I feel.”

Talking about all this is understandably awkward, and eventually Johansson says, “I think if I wanted to continue this conversation, it can be done personally with the people involved and not through statements to Vanity Fair. I don’t think that’s productive…it kind of feeds that sort of dragon.” Perhaps it’s instructive, by way of contrast, to look at an earlier tumult that erupted around Johansson, one in which her thinking evolved in light of the feedback she received. In July of last year, it was announced that she would play the lead in the movie Rub & Tug, based on the true story of a trans man, Dante “Tex” Gill, and his life in the world of massage parlors. Following protests that the role should have gone to a trans actor, Johansson put out a statement, a rebuttal to those critics: “Tell them that they can be directed to Jeffrey Tambor, Jared Leto, and Felicity Huffman’s reps for comment.” (Those actors had recently been acclaimed and awarded for roles in which they portrayed trans characters.) Not long afterward, following a further and heightened backlash, Johansson withdrew from the role and issued a lengthier, far more conciliatory statement.

Perhaps actors who have always been in show business and formed their earliest relationships in that environment might be more than a little blind to larger social issues and the reputations of the people they're trafficking with.

Also, as the article points out, despite her status as an in-demand actress, Johansson also has a few more ambitions to fulfill.