Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Nordicas or Salomans for first owned ski boots?

I’m a blue/easy black skier at Taos... looking to start buying gear.

Just bought the Smith Vantage MIPS helmet and got the Alta Wireless headphones to put in the ear flaps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Steve French posted:

Time to get them started

I picked up gear for my 1 year old daughter (she turns 2 in a few months) a couple weeks ago and we're going to get out for the first time next weekend. My goal is to have her up at least one day per week this season so she is fully indoctrinated asap.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think each manufacturer has a few different lines of boots with different widths, insteps, and flex rating. Might depend if you are wanting to do mostly groomed runs fast, or do a lot of off piste stuff. Might be wise to figure out what sort of skiing you are looking at doing and then singling out the lines of boots from each company that would fit those needs. Then go to a fitter and try on a bunch and see what fits best.

My first pair of boots was an oversized pair of Nordicas that I picked up off ebay for real cheap. I have ridden them about 50 days and they are holding up well. I am trying to pinpoint a better boot for myself and have been seeing a bootfitter and it helps. Although at the end of the day you will never really know how one fits until you ride in them.

I have never ridden Salomon boots so I can't give a response to their quality.

If you do pinpoint a boot that you like or think might work you can also call around and see if any of the rental places have that boot for their premium/demo rental packages and try em out. You will have to be pretty lucky for that to work out though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Steve French posted:

Not like I've got a choice! Wife has committed to switching back to skiing from snowboarding to make it easier for her to help
That seems like a wise move on her part

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think each manufacturer has a few different lines of boots with different widths, insteps, and flex rating. Might depend if you are wanting to do mostly groomed runs fast, or do a lot of off piste stuff. Might be wise to figure out what sort of skiing you are looking at doing and then singling out the lines of boots from each company that would fit those needs. Then go to a fitter and try on a bunch and see what fits best.

Good idea - I'm a groomer rider. That's my skill level and where I am comfortable, at least for another season or two.

Was eyeballing the Saloman S/Pro (last years model) and then came across the Nordica Speedmachine 100.

Anybody recommend a boot fitter in Keystone/Breck area? I will be there DECEMBER 7TH HAHAHAHA I'm so excited I can't stand it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Anybody recommend a boot fitter in Keystone/Breck area? I will be there DECEMBER 7TH HAHAHAHA I'm so excited I can't stand it.
If there’s an REI somewhere around there or where you live they do boot fitting appointments you can schedule ahead of time online.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

ironlung posted:

I picked up gear for my 1 year old daughter (she turns 2 in a few months) a couple weeks ago and we're going to get out for the first time next weekend. My goal is to have her up at least one day per week this season so she is fully indoctrinated asap.

Hell yeah. Ours are just over 2 (birthday in September). Keep the thread updated on her progress; I'd also love to share experiences/advice/etc.

I think for us weekends will be for skiing with kids, mid week while they're at day care will be for skiing for ourselves

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Captain Apollo posted:

I would say hey but I will be in Michigan that weekend. Also just got back from tesuque for Thanksgiving. Have fun.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Apollo posted:

Good idea - I'm a groomer rider. That's my skill level and where I am comfortable, at least for another season or two.

Was eyeballing the Saloman S/Pro (last years model) and then came across the Nordica Speedmachine 100.

I have had good luck with Evo. They have a location in Denver and you can look at their stock and prices online too.

https://www.evo.com/locations

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I just found out my team got a place on the Patrouille des Glaciers next April. The other guys are pretty fit and about 15 years younger than me so I have some training to do! Pretty stoked for the season training and the race :)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Just bought the Smith Vantage MIPS helmet and got the Alta Wireless headphones to put in the ear flaps!

Visit an actual bootfitter and get fitted, the fact that you're asking if you should own Nordicas or Salomons for your first pair shows you know literally so little about ski boots your life will almost certainly be miserable if you try and do it yourself.

edit: aaaaaaand my reading comprehension skills suck, you're already doing this.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

HookShot posted:

edit: aaaaaaand my reading comprehension skills suck, you're already doing this.

Yup no worries. I just was curious if one manufacturer or the other had better reputation or tangible things that the goon population could advise me of. Don’t want to be steered the “wrong” way by salesman, you know?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Yup no worries. I just was curious if one manufacturer or the other had better reputation or tangible things that the goon population could advise me of. Don’t want to be steered the “wrong” way by salesman, you know?

Basically, no. The boots made my all the manufacturers are different, but none are explicitly "better" than the others. The best boot for you will be the boot that fits your foot right and is in the proper flex range for your skill level. If you visit an experienced, proper boot fitter they will steer you in the right direction.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I swear to loving God Vail can spend billions of dollars buying up new ski resorts but can't make a properly functioning website.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

I swear to loving God Vail can spend billions of dollars buying up new ski resorts but can't make a properly functioning website.

At least all their resorts have nice, uniform looking nonfunctional websites.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

At least all their resorts have nice, uniform looking nonfunctional websites.

I give zero shits about that since the only one I ever look at is WB, I just don't want to have to sign a waiver in person at guest services tomorrow, and yet that seems inevitable.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

The best ski boot is the one that fits your foot.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Well I rode my last chairlift of the season yesterday. Surgery tomorrow at 9 am.

What was the recommended ski tracking app for an Apple Watch? Wife wants to know.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Good luck man. You will be back before you know it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Well I rode my last chairlift of the season yesterday. Surgery tomorrow at 9 am.

What was the recommended ski tracking app for an Apple Watch? Wife wants to know.

I love the Slopes app.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Good luck, Moot

Went up Whistler for the first time today. It was still way too busy and I did three runs before bailing when some out of control Jerry just about skied straight into me. Hopefully later on in the week it'll be a bit better.

It's somewhat icy man-made, which isn't great for the Jerry situation either.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Moot .1415926535 posted:

That sucks, hope your recovery is quick. I'll sit around and not get on a mountain anywhere near as much as I should in your honor.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Went to the local ski store.

Returning my Smith Vantage helmet to Evo and purchased:

1) Giro Jackson MIPS helmet (medium, I am shocked)
2) Salomon S/Pro 90 ski boots

I AM READY FOR SKI SEASON.

Actual skill for 2019-2020 TBD.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Captain Apollo posted:

I never ski with headphones and would never recommend anyone do it but you do you just don't hurt anybody

My first boots were Alpinas from the late 70s-early 80s era, then Rachles which were racing boots and my feet were always painful and cold, then Nordica's which were comfy and cozy...then no skiing for nearly 30 years.

I got bootfitted a year or two ago after a few seasons in used Atomics and am now in custom formed Solomons shaped to my weird broken feet and have really never skied better more comfortably so yeah.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Moot .1415926535 posted:

best of luck moot

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Another four hours in today and was given a decidedly used pair of Stöckli Laser SC with Marker Titanium 1200 bindings. Hope I can get out and try 'em, tomorrow.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Out of the epic pass Denver resorts which one would you guys prefer to take an intermediate group of six for lessons? We'll be staying at Breck but I'd be down to go out to Vail or something

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Got my new boots today; stoked to get out this weekend. :toot:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Razzled posted:

Out of the epic pass Denver resorts which one would you guys prefer to take an intermediate group of six for lessons? We'll be staying at Breck but I'd be down to go out to Vail or something

Honestly any of them will work. If you don't want to do Breck, I'd say Keystone or Vail

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
As a related question, whats the threads opinion on private lessons? I've been thinking about taking a few this year to try to get better at handling moguls and more advanced terrain. Are they worth the price? Is there a way to try figure out which ones are good at actually helping?

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 5, 2019

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

As a related question, whats the threads opinion on private lessons? I've been thinking about taking a few this year to try to get better at handling moguls and more advanced terrain. Are they worth the price? Is there a way to try figure out which ones are good at actually helping?

I think they can be good, but are probably most beneficial if you have a few of them and they are with the same instructor and are a few ski days apart. Probably helpful to come in with a clear goal as well, such as the ones you list. I imagine the moguls could be a topic that could benefit from a few lessons. Depending on the resort, if you sign up for lessons you can ask for a certain instructor, so it might be worthwhile to call ahead and ask if they have an instructor that loves moguls, or steep stuff, or whatever. I also don't like to feel judged, so anytime I do anything with a lesson I get hypercritical of myself, and that can sometimes be helpful in its own right.

That being said, the local mountain is roughly 110/hr for private lessons and I just check Parked City where I am going next week, and there it is 900/day, so the price is really kind of out of my league. Perhaps an option might be to join a league, if available in your area? The league would have coaching I imagine, although it might not be at the same professional level. I mention this because that is what I am doing for my son, it looked too expensive to have a bunch of lessons so I thought a league might be better for him. I am not sure if there are adult leagues, but I figure there must be?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I've done it a couple of times and found it highly beneficial. If I get riding regularly again this, I'll probably do another one.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Something else to keep in mind when it comes to more advanced lessons is often if you sign up for a group lesson on a not-very-busy day at an advanced level, the class probably won’t be full. You can end up with effectively a private lesson for the group rate this way.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah in many ways signing up for an advanced group lesson has the added bonus of giving you a posse for the day. I think you just gotta make sure that the group lesson is actually going to be advanced enough.

That said, as someone who coaches a different sport for a living, my bread and butter when it comes to teaching kids to get better is private lessons. But I charge $45 for a 20-30 minute lesson, not a few hundred for the day

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bawfuls posted:

Something else to keep in mind when it comes to more advanced lessons is often if you sign up for a group lesson on a not-very-busy day at an advanced level, the class probably won’t be full. You can end up with effectively a private lesson for the group rate this way.

This is the right move. I got a “private” steeps lesson at Crested Butte a couple seasons ago by signing up for an advanced group lesson on a weekday. There were two instructors and two students so they just split us up. Worth every penny.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Just don't take a lesson on holiday weekends. I'd have 15-20 kids in a group all day in an overly crowded learning area and it's impossible to have them accomplish anything that way. Dumb parents just throwing their money away.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Varg posted:

Just don't take a lesson on holiday weekends. I'd have 15-20 kids in a group all day in an overly crowded learning area and it's impossible to have them accomplish anything that way. Dumb parents just throwing their money away.

I mean, my kids also don't learn to ski when they go to daycare

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Steve French posted:

I mean, my kids also don't learn to ski when they go to daycare

Haha yeah I guess a lot of people would think of it like that, just don't expect your kid to know what they're doing when I gotta rush back and forth to spend a total of 5 minutes with each kid

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/12/05/today-we-went-skiing-indoors-in-new-jersey/

Our indoor ski slope opened up today. I missed opening day because of work but its run by the same parent company as Mountain Creek. Even with how tiny it is, I intend to hit it all summer so 100 day seasons here I come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Yuns posted:

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/12/05/today-we-went-skiing-indoors-in-new-jersey/

Our indoor ski slope opened up today. I missed opening day because of work but its run by the same parent company as Mountain Creek. Even with how tiny it is, I intend to hit it all summer so 100 day seasons here I come.

"small terrain park".. you mean a tiny jump and box, and a seemingly unhittable sideways rail on a mound lol. I'll probably end up going once in the summer on a Friday night after work since it's pretty close from there, but drat that looks even sadder than I expected.