Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

yeah I don't remember that from HnK or SnK at all - are you confusing it with another manga, like Riki-Oh?

which is fairly C-SPAM

e: if you're not familiar with Riki-Oh (or the awesome ultra-violent live-action martial arts movie based on an incredibly, incredibly small fraction of it), I highly recommend you give it a read, since it's a HnK-esque romp mixed with an absurdly hilarious butchering of western history, religion, mysticism, etc.
this reddit post does a good job summarizing it if you want to know how crazy it gets

LGD has issued a correction as of 06:07 on Nov 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

I remember watching Riki-Oh, but holy poo poo that write-up.

quote:

He encounters various cult leaders which wish to destroy the world to bring the second coming of Christ

quote:

The cultists succeeded in bringing about the apocalypse in his timeline by launching nuclear bombs but Christ did not appear. They fled the nuclear wasteland they created by going into space where they decided that if Christ wouldn't appear, they would make their own Christ. And so Mukai was created in the year 2500 after all humanity had died out and was named Christos. His mission was to travel back in time to the beginning of the 20th century and incite the apocalypse without nuclear weapons so that the earth would not be destroyed and Christ then would come.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

quote:

And so Mukai was created in the year 2500 after all humanity had died out and was named Christos. His mission was to travel back in time to the beginning of the 20th century and incite the apocalypse without nuclear weapons so that the earth would not be destroyed and Christ then would come.

don't doxx me

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I thought Riki-Oh was just cool prison stuff and had no idea how insane it gets.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
i kinda want to read a comic where some people keep destroying earth in different ways to try to get god tyo show up

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I thought Riki-Oh was just cool prison stuff and had no idea how insane it gets.

The post leaves out the cyborg

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The fat kid in the movie is basically the CSPAM day poster.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You are all free now!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Hodgepodge posted:

i kinda want to read a comic where some people keep destroying earth in different ways to try to get god tyo show up

The ending of Devilman Crybaby (an anime, tho) sort of does this.

Speaking of insane and violent Japanese comics, check out the original 1970s Devilman manga. It has Literally Gay Satan in it and hatred of the Other leads to the Apocalypse.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Devilman manga is very good and cool and not as nasty and perverted as other go nagai manga, but still decently nasty and perverted.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The evil turtle demon who has the living bodies of the protags loved ones fused to it's necrotic shell so he has to literally annihilate his family to defeat the evil turtle demon is FTW

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

The Devilman manga is very good and cool and not as nasty and perverted as other go nagai manga, but still decently nasty and perverted.

Devilman Lady is the super nasty and perverted version of the OG Devilman.

Don't read Devilman Lady.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Equeen posted:

Devilman Lady is the super nasty and perverted version of the OG Devilman.

Don't read Devilman Lady.

Lol I could tell that from the covers and every other Go nagai manga ever

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Go Nagai: big ole pervert and also a surprising influence on magical girl anime

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Go Nagai: big ole pervert and also a surprising influence on magical girl anime

He planted the seeds of repulsive horny garbage that haunts it to this day

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
edit: wrong thread, sorry guys

Serf
May 5, 2011

i finished up season 1 of lodge 49 and it sucks that they cancelled this show. its sorta like a working-class counterpart to succession. it can be ethereal and dreamlike, a "modern fable" as it claims to be, but the action is rooted in the material struggle of a group of complex characters attempting to survive being ground up by the gears of late capitalism. the ghost of the dead american dream haunts the precariat who populate the show. they deal with this situation in their own ways. one of them, the most nakedly anti-capitalist, works two jobs and takes speed to stay awake through his night shift as a security guard at a closing aerospace facility, says that "robots are the future. the only way to survive is to become a robot." he doesn't care about tresspassing, pointing out that tax dollars built the aerospace industry, and it therefore belongs to all of us.

the show has a strong focus on community and the myriad ties that hold us all together. as it progresses you find out more and more ways the characters are connected and gain a deeper insight into how their actions affect one another. and there is some surreal imagery in there, times when the barrier between the real world and the imagined fairy tale land of knights and alchemists breaks down a bit. its an entertaining watch and i am looking forward to finishing season 2 and i hope that some streaming service picks it up

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
If The Shining is about this being a demon cracker nation, Doctor Sleep is about how we're going to destroy this demon cracker nation. I've been chanting, "We're going to win," since I saw it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Serf posted:

i finished up season 1 of lodge 49 and it sucks that they cancelled this show. its sorta like a working-class counterpart to succession. it can be ethereal and dreamlike, a "modern fable" as it claims to be, but the action is rooted in the material struggle of a group of complex characters attempting to survive being ground up by the gears of late capitalism. the ghost of the dead american dream haunts the precariat who populate the show. they deal with this situation in their own ways. one of them, the most nakedly anti-capitalist, works two jobs and takes speed to stay awake through his night shift as a security guard at a closing aerospace facility, says that "robots are the future. the only way to survive is to become a robot." he doesn't care about tresspassing, pointing out that tax dollars built the aerospace industry, and it therefore belongs to all of us.

the show has a strong focus on community and the myriad ties that hold us all together. as it progresses you find out more and more ways the characters are connected and gain a deeper insight into how their actions affect one another. and there is some surreal imagery in there, times when the barrier between the real world and the imagined fairy tale land of knights and alchemists breaks down a bit. its an entertaining watch and i am looking forward to finishing season 2 and i hope that some streaming service picks it up

I hope it gets picked up, but season 2 ties everything up in a pretty satisfying manner.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i haven't seen it but sometimes 2 seasons is all you need, like with the knick

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

General Dog posted:

I hope it gets picked up, but season 2 ties everything up in a pretty satisfying manner.

cool I’ll check it out for sure then

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheLonelyPhoton/status/1199927525469806592?s=09

https://twitter.com/frimairist/status/1200046771625451520

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

watching a bunch of old italian men act their hearts out for three hours but ive got a notepad and im just writing down every political sounding word i hear

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Kennedy may not have been neoliberal per se, but he did get the ball rolling on the idea that you can just cut taxes forever and watch GDP grow.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

LGD posted:

yeah I don't remember that from HnK or SnK at all - are you confusing it with another manga, like Riki-Oh?

which is fairly C-SPAM

e: if you're not familiar with Riki-Oh (or the awesome ultra-violent live-action martial arts movie based on an incredibly, incredibly small fraction of it), I highly recommend you give it a read, since it's a HnK-esque romp mixed with an absurdly hilarious butchering of western history, religion, mysticism, etc.
this reddit post does a good job summarizing it if you want to know how crazy it gets

dude who did the riki-oh manga has a fixation on people's eyes popping out, poo poo is pathological

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Kennedy may not have been neoliberal per se, but he did get the ball rolling on the idea that you can just cut taxes forever and watch GDP grow.

he didn't even pass that tax cut! he wanted to do it AFTER passing civil rights and of course he couldn't get that past the Senate, so it never got done until LBJ came up with the bright idea of passing the tax cut FIRST so there wouldn't be a legislative hostage to be taken

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

still trying to figure out what neoliberal could mean in the context of a jimmy hoffa biopic like is jimmy fighting with kennedy over tax cuts or does he think tussling with the soviets over missiles in cuba is dumb or what

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

SmokaDustbowl posted:

dude who did the riki-oh manga has a fixation on people's eyes popping out, poo poo is pathological

I don't see how that's any weirder than ASMR.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy gently caress Irishman was boring. Hoffa's makeup sucked and its 210 minutes long

I turned it off with an hour to go and watched Roma instead and enjoyed that very much

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so the prequel trilogy is on cable today and its been my background noise and honestly just on a shot by shot basis it legit looks really cool with all sorts of nutty background details set design and goofy banter i mean sure the plot is muddled and the acting is hit and miss at best but its really distinctive like right now obi wan kenobi is riding some kind of wacky lizard monster in a chariot race against general grievous in a wheel and those twenty seconds alone show more creative ideas than all of force awakens put together

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The prequels at the very least had Lucas clearly watch a shitload of old pulp stories for ideas, while the sequels just watched Star Wars.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The prequels at the very least had Lucas clearly watch a shitload of old pulp stories for ideas, while the sequels just watched Star Wars.

A new hope is a Sci Fi version of Kurosawa's the Hidden Fortress.

Also, Ran is amazing. King Lear in feudal Japan. Hell yeah.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Forceholy posted:

A new hope is a Sci Fi version of Kurosawa's the Hidden Fortress.

Also, Ran is amazing. King Lear in feudal Japan. Hell yeah.

I heard that wasn't the original intention but a friend of Kurosawa read the screenplay and thought it was a take on King Lear, and Kurosawa read the play and decided to make the movie more like it, including some direct quotes.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i say swears online posted:

holy gently caress Irishman was boring. Hoffa's makeup sucked and its 210 minutes long

I turned it off with an hour to go and watched Roma instead and enjoyed that very much

the last hour is the good part lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The best martin Scorsese movie is actually Silence since it's about smug white missionaries getting successfully trolled by the Japanese.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm the weirdo who liked TLJ because of it's dedication to clearing the decks of as much of the original trilogy as possible.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Star Wars made the most marketable character in decades and didn't have the foresight to have toys lined up to sell because they didn't want to leak spoilers. :lol:

They did start selling some really cheap stuff that looks like it came from a fly-by-night custom printing shop.

Etsy shops that sell Baby Yoda merchandise are going to make bank this Christmas until Disney sues them and shuts them down.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

i say swears online posted:

scorsese is showing his range as a director by making another NE gangster movie and also casting a pile of actors past their prime to play youthful roles.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSfsE9FiCto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

etalian posted:

scorsese is showing his range as a director by making another NE gangster movie and also casting a pile of actors past their prime to play youthful roles.

hollywood does this in general i dont think they actually know how to make movie stars anymore because its hard to come up with any other reason why they keep pretending like liam neeson is an action hero

i wanna guess theres context for this that makes him look less like a murderous psycho but it actually makes him look like more of a murderous psycho doesnt it