Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I'm mostly used to the controls except for fishing, which is not at all ergonomic and hurts my wrists weather I use kb+m or gamepad. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Got my Red Dead Online character started and cashed in the free stuff. What should I be spending my gold bars on? I have like 37 left.

God I love copying Dutch's style. He's just so cool.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

A page late on my part, but thanks!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Taintrunner posted:

Got my Red Dead Online character started and cashed in the free stuff. What should I be spending my gold bars on? I have like 37 left.

Getting all 3 roles.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Taintrunner posted:

It's 15 gold bars to start each one of the frontier pursuits roles, I suggest keeping at least 15 for one of those to make cash. For pure cash with least hassle i recommend collector; you can do it passively while hunting and use online maps to get what you're missing.

You can buy a Horsemanship holster from a gunsmith with 1 gold that will let you dualwield from rank 1 instead of having to wait till 20+.
If you want to splurge you can spend 7 or 8 gold buying a Lemat (instead of $300) revolver, which will serve you a very long time.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

No horse that is not how hooman sit

NO NOT LIKE THAT EITHER HORSE

Fine whatever

Also I managed to win Condor Egg and my dude took the derpiest picture

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I spend all the Gold I had left on a limited-time giant hat, balloonist googles and other weird clothes, am I an idiot, or am I doing it right?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Feindfeuer posted:

I spend all the Gold I had left on a limited-time giant hat, balloonist googles and other weird clothes, am I an idiot, or am I doing it right?

Can’t it be both

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

pmchem posted:

Can’t it be both

Very true.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is there any reason to play RDR2 single player instead of just playing RDR Online? Arthur's story, of course, but any unique game mechanics not present in RDR Online or things that transfer over to RDR Onilne?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Like GTA5, the singleplayer world is just more robust and detailed in general. You can't rob stores or trains in online. The way you interact with the law in Online is kind of dumb, bounties that you accrue are basically pointless. One thing I really enjoyed about singleplayer is the ability to just walk around and say poo poo to people and see how they react, which is totally absent from multiplayer. There's a general absence of music while freeroaming. Overall there's just a lot more going on.

Think of online is like, a content expansion to singleplayer. You can't really think of them as the same game.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 30, 2019

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's a general absence of music while freeroaming. Overall there's just a lot more going on.

If you ride slowly enough Arthur will provide his own music, a nice touch.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Vichan posted:

If you ride slowly enough Arthur will provide his own music, a nice touch.

I noticed this for the first time yesterday, and I've played through the game twice on console.

I also completely missed out on a ton of camp interactions. My favorite so far is a drunk Bill antagonizing Hosea, until Hosea finally says I've had enough of your poo poo and pulls his gun on him.

Another major difference this time around; Today is the first time in all of my hunting where I flubbed a shot and had to put down a deer, and I've already got the legendary satchel. The tighter controls make all the difference in hunting and accuracy challenges.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pmchem posted:

Is there any reason to play RDR2 single player instead of just playing RDR Online? Arthur's story, of course, but any unique game mechanics not present in RDR Online or things that transfer over to RDR Onilne?

You can chug chocolate bars and hair tonic and become A Man of the Land.

Also it’s my second time through and I’m having a ton of fun. If you really want to make it a breeze, play that opening intro chapter in the snow and then get a cheat save with a bunch of the collectathon poo poo unlocked off of the Nexus, since you’d be doing all that in RDO anyways.

It’s got really great ambience and with what little I played of RDO so far I think it’s probably more fun? There’s a shitton of story content, like a ton of camp dialogue just from hanging out with the 15 or so different people you travel with.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You can't say "howdy" to people in online, making it the inferior game

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I take back my comments about PC crashes. Launching RDR Online to free roam is causing instant crash for me now, with no apparent reason why. Nothing changed from this morning.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Your friends say Howdy back, online.

Online gets updates.

Naming your horse Oppressor Mk 2 will elicit a real emotional response, online.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I cannot call my horse a good boy online. This is a negative for online.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I named my horse BLK Knight 2000 and now I go around screaming GIVE ME YOUR MONEY at strangers

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Ainsley McTree posted:

You can't say "howdy" to people in online, making it the inferior game
You can over proximity voice chat and people actually do it very frequently.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

pmchem posted:

I take back my comments about PC crashes. Launching RDR Online to free roam is causing instant crash for me now, with no apparent reason why. Nothing changed from this morning.

I've had this problem a couple of times, always fixed it by picking free roam in a specific location. Say I logged off outside of Tumbleweed, and I get a crash every time I try to enter free roam, I'll just scroll to the bottom and pick free roam in any location that isn't New Austin, and the crashes stop.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

pmchem posted:

Which driver version are you on?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

latest 444.41

I fixed it by verifying files in R* launcher, then going to single player before going to RDRO.

Weird bug.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I gave up on Online because it's just a worse version of single player.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Poker is silly easy to make money in RDR Online; some people will max play any hand they're dealt.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

pmchem posted:

Poker is silly easy to make money in RDR Online; some people will max play any hand they're dealt.

ive had real trouble finding a game againt players. do u host them and invite or what?

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I usually play poker in Valentine, myself, and if it's prime time, I have no trouble finding games. Of course, if you're going in the morning or other weird times, you'll be lucky to get one other dude. But yeah, it's easy money if you're patient, and although you can't read faces, people still have habits that are easy to pick up on if you spend enough time at a table. Walked away with triple my buy in once, it was nice. Got super lucky on a high straight when two other people also had straights, it was nuts.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

How's the white Perlino Andalusian in terms of throwing you off?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

SplitSoul posted:

How's the white Perlino Andalusian in terms of throwing you off?

I used an Andalusian for a long time in the single player, and it was really nice. It's a war horse so it tends to do better around predators and gun fights, but it may not be the fastest horse around if speed is your thing.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Honestly stamina and courage are probably the two most important horse stats especially in single player- the meme is that the white arabian is the best horse in the game but its just the fastest and throws you off if it smells a snake turd upwind

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

What's the cheapest way to refill your dead eye ring (not core) in RDR Online? It seems like my dead eye is perpetually empty whenever I log in. I am new and only really know of chewing tobacco to refill it, which seems like it should not be the cheapest option for regular use.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

pmchem posted:

What's the cheapest way to refill your dead eye ring (not core) in RDR Online? It seems like my dead eye is perpetually empty whenever I log in. I am new and only really know of chewing tobacco to refill it, which seems like it should not be the cheapest option for regular use.

Killing animals or NPCs will fill it for free. Otherwise I suppose you could craft snake oil tonics if you don't want to buy them.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I use the Andalusian perlino and he's great. Especially max level.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Transmogrifier posted:

I used an Andalusian for a long time in the single player, and it was really nice. It's a war horse so it tends to do better around predators and gun fights, but it may not be the fastest horse around if speed is your thing.

My friend is more concerned with looks, I already have the best Criollo myself. :horse:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

RDR online

I was trying to sit down on a chair in a tavern and accidentally grabbed a lady by the throat instead, could not let her go -- dismiss threw her to the ground -- and a guy nearby beat me to death because I didn't want to fight back and gain dishonor/bounty.

um, ok. thanks default rockstar controls. wtf?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Honestly, I feel like I have more control using KBM than controller.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

pmchem posted:

RDR online

I was trying to sit down on a chair in a tavern and accidentally grabbed a lady by the throat instead, could not let her go -- dismiss threw her to the ground -- and a guy nearby beat me to death because I didn't want to fight back and gain dishonor/bounty.

um, ok. thanks default rockstar controls. wtf?

Honestly I wouldn't worry about ending up dishonorable - it seems like you have to actually try to not be max honorable. Just feeding, brushing, and petting your horse is enough keep it positive. When I'm doing collecting I usually play a bandit and kill/rob every NPC I meet on the trail and murder every witness that comes along. Even doing that, like 3/4 positive honor is the lowest I ever got.

Also murder is like a 50 cent bounty, I don't even worry about getting a bounty online. Well I mean I still gun down every witness because gently caress the tattlers, but the punishments are pretty mild

Edit: I love my LeMats. Being able to dump shotgun shells in an emergency just saved my rear end from a cougar after my bitch-rear end horse bucked me

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 1, 2019

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Hello red dead dudes...

I heard that there's been a couple of pc updates - how is the stuttering etc? Think my 970 GTX card would cope?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I'm on PC and every time I go online to play, I get disconnected after a minute or so. Not a crash, but a disconnect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

his nibs posted:

Hello red dead dudes...

I heard that there's been a couple of pc updates - how is the stuttering etc? Think my 970 GTX card would cope?

I'm on a 970 and it handles things pretty drat well. Make sure you're using those optimized settings that've been floating around.