Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Last year we had a toilet overflow on the 3rd floor and dumped tons of waste water on the 2nd floor call center. That was good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GreenNight posted:

Last year we had a toilet overflow on the 3rd floor and dumped tons of waste water on the 2nd floor call center. That was good times.

How many call center employees lost their jobs for refusing to sit in a pile of human poo poo for the rest of the day.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Just kidding, I'm sure your call center management is full of rational human beings.

They would've fired the reps for missing their goals instead.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Neither, luckily assholes are not running our call center.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Renegret posted:

That's a separate ticket

"Fix the phone and computer already, we can't wait for the building to be fixed."

D. Ebdrup posted:

Headstrong, in particular when used as a put-down, is used by people in management who like to bully people and keep people underneath them because they wrongfully think it gives themselves more worth.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Men in IT management have a tendency for (mostly unintentional, but a lot of them are just assholes) misogyny. Things like 'headstrong', 'shrill', 'should smile more' are all part and parcel for the handbook.

Happy the manager above caught it. At least someone is thinking there.

Shut up Meg posted:

Not knowing your place.

Which, when it is aimed at the only two women on the team, has a definite vibe that they should be grateful they are allowed out of the kitchen.

It's all of this. My boss is A Man of the Internet (he may even have stairs in his house, but I've chosen not to confirm for both of our privacy), so he keeps up on the lingo being thrown around on less enlightened forums to know what to look for later on. My boss is extremely cool and good, and so is his boss, so at least I can feel good about that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Love to use a word that paints the target as being like a recalcitrant horse or cow

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Neither, luckily assholes are not running our call center.

Just flooding them with poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

Just flooding them with poo poo.

Eh they’re used to it, just usually not so literally.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Fake edit: that reminds me, some of my peer performance reviews called me and the other lady engineer on my team, quote, "HEADSTRONG." :v: My boss told them they should maybe think about rephrasing that and resubmit it.

You need to put the rest of the lyrics in the review.

Aragaith
Jul 26, 2006

Kirisame Marisa.
In space.
Help.
Had a project where the roof collapsed once. 50 user consolidation call center. Move a bunch of billers from all over into one area to increase productivity. Spent a week setting that place up pristine. They move about 15 people in there to start. Heavy snow that winter caused roof to collapse 3 days later. Thankfully not where anyone already got moved into but about 10 PCs had to be replaced and one of the wall mounted PC TVs. That took forever to repair and all those people got sent back to original locations until it was fixed.

They move them all back in after repairs and then never increased the number of people at the location since the billers were being merged by new parent company and their jobs got shuffled off to florida. There are still those 15 people there with all those unused computers over a year later.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Email came in at 4:58pm the day before Thanksgiving.

New manager for my employment agency sends out his first email to all of the contractors "reminding" us that all of our time at work should be spent working and that if we want to update our "relationship statuses on Facebook" or check the scores of a basketball game, that we should do that on our lunch breaks. "Would you pay your mechanic labor while posting videos on Snapchat or Instagram? Consider the 8 hours you spend at work as a VACATION from social media. We all need this break, right?"

My recruiter told me during the hiring process that I should look elsewhere for health insurance because the plans they offer are "not great and kind of expensive" btw lol

Time to polish up the ol resume

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thom and the Heads posted:

My recruiter told me during the hiring process that I should look elsewhere for health insurance because the plans they offer are "not great and kind of expensive" btw lol

That's a pretty big red flag, but not as big as the one I got hit with Tuesday.

We're being acquired. Our soon-to-be new CEO told us "This isn't a company you retire with" and, when asked about remote work (25% ish of our company is full-time remote) said "We think we're better...together."

We're so hosed.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ConfusedUs posted:

soon-to-be new CEO told us "This isn't a company you retire with"

wow, way to rally the troops

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

"Would you pay your mechanic labor while posting videos on Snapchat or Instagram?"
Dude's getting fleeced by his mechanic and has no idea.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Inspector_666 posted:

You need to put the rest of the lyrics in the review.

I'm dangerously tempted to make it my ringtone next time I visit HQ, and then ask my friends to call me at regular intervals.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Email came in at 4:58pm the day before Thanksgiving.

New manager for my employment agency sends out his first email to all of the contractors "reminding" us that all of our time at work should be spent working and that if we want to update our "relationship statuses on Facebook" or check the scores of a basketball game, that we should do that on our lunch breaks. "Would you pay your mechanic labor while posting videos on Snapchat or Instagram? Consider the 8 hours you spend at work as a VACATION from social media. We all need this break, right?"

Time to polish up the ol resume

lol, gently caress that guy.

Someone who went straight out of college into management and never had to do real work before.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ConfusedUs posted:

That's a pretty big red flag, but not as big as the one I got hit with Tuesday.

We're being acquired. Our soon-to-be new CEO told us "This isn't a company you retire with" and, when asked about remote work (25% ish of our company is full-time remote) said "We think we're better...together."

We're so hosed.

To be fair, does anyone imagine being with a company until retirement anymore?

I think most people are grateful to make it to the next financial year, let alone being awarded a gold watch for long service.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
My manager sent out a couple reminders that the work day is 9 to 5, and we should be putting in 8 hours especially with the short week.

He also rolls in near 10 on the regular and today decided to work from home. Radio silent as of early afternoon. Also time before 9 and after 5 doesn't count towards those hours.,. No coming in early to leave early

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Roundboy posted:

My manager sent out a couple reminders that the work day is 9 to 5, and we should be putting in 8 hours especially with the short week.

He also rolls in near 10 on the regular and today decided to work from home. Radio silent as of early afternoon. Also time before 9 and after 5 doesn't count towards those hours.,. No coming in early to leave early

Your manager is complete poo poo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Head of Infosec at my client has complained that I come in late all the time. Which I do. I'm a consultant. We play by our own rules.

What I want to know is how can he even tell, what with me turning up first anyway, and him never showing up before 11 and then leaving by 2...

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

What I want to know is how can he even tell, what with me turning up first anyway, and him never showing up before 11 and then leaving by 2...

Your coworkers are complaining backstabbers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Or if you have an access card he’s creeping on everyone.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The joke is I know how he's aware of this. Everyone is late all the time, I tend to be first in by a wide margin, and he just wants a cheaper renewal next year from my company so he's lying to my boss. Bonus joke is I'm legally bulletproof for lateness due to a diagnosis of depression and decent employment laws.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

This is the kind of mindset that promotes busybodies who put band-aids on everything over people who take time to come up with a better solution.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

A flood of tickets came in. The vendor for a service we use made some changes to their network which has caused the entire service to stop responding to requests. Happy day after thanksgiving to me as I setup a mass email to clients using said service telling them there is no ETA on when it will be back up and how to disable it in our software suite for a temporary workaround.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

Alighieri posted:

A flood of tickets came in. The vendor for a service we use made some changes to their network which has caused the entire service to stop responding to requests. Happy day after thanksgiving to me as I setup a mass email to clients using said service telling them there is no ETA on when it will be back up and how to disable it in our software suite for a temporary workaround.

Good luck man.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alighieri posted:

It's a DNS issue

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Looking forward to my first day of wfh on Monday.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Exit Strategy posted:

Looking forward to my first day of wfh on Monday.

It's so good. I'm 3 days/week remote right now because I-75 is an unmitigated loving disaster, and I love it. My team lead doesn't know I'm going to lobby for 1 or 2 days/month in the office soon, instead of the other way around when construction wraps for the season.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's so good. I'm 3 days/week remote right now because I-75 is an unmitigated loving disaster, and I love it. My team lead doesn't know I'm going to lobby for 1 or 2 days/month in the office soon, instead of the other way around when construction wraps for the season.

Absolutely LOVE work from home! In addition to saving me from a 80+ mile/90+ minute daily round trip to the office (what's up I-75 buddy), it also saves me from having to interact with socially awkward coworkers with a poor understanding of personal space and simple personal hygiene.

I think I would quit if they tried to force me to come back to the office for anything other than the occasional training. There are literally zero parts of my day-to-day job that require me to be in the office.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

CollegeCop posted:

There are literally zero parts of my day-to-day job that require me to be in the office.

That's what kills me about so many jobs nowadays. "Sorry, WFH is not an option" is fine if they can articulate a reasonable reason why, however for most organizations it seems to be some variation on "we want to be able to collaborate in person" or whatever, which doesn't really apply when my job is IT and involves sitting in my cubicle staring at my nightmare machine for eight hours a day. I don't need to ~collaborate~ to write ansible playbooks or figure out why SCCM is making GBS threads the bed or whatever.

It seems like for most places the real answer is "I don't get to WFH so you don't either" which is why a WFH policy is a pretty good barometer for an organization overall.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
There's also some ego stroking for management seeing all the little heads in their fiefdom hard at work at their desks. Obviously if the boss can't see the people doing the work, the work isn't being done.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
When I go into the office, half of my time is spent on video calls with people in other offices. I try to line up my 1-2 days a month so I can minimize the number of those calls. I don't mind going in at this rate, I can go for lunch at the least healthy option.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
There is something positive about being in person with your team. I'm not sure I need it 40 hours a week, but it's less isolated than full time work from home.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

There is something positive about being in person with your team. I'm not sure I need it 40 hours a week, but it's less isolated than full time work from home.

Nah. With the advent of the internet you can collaborate with team members from home!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Bigass Moth posted:

Add the word occasionally. I've pushed for more in person meetings for our worldwide wfh team for the spirit of this without the commuting drawbacks

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

AlexDeGruven posted:

I don't have an option, man. Mandatory work from home, 5 days a week.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

At first my boss wanted me to come in 4 days a week after I moved to SoCal. I would have to take the I-10 into work.

I now WFH 4 days a week when I told him absolutely not. :v:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've been full-time WFH since 2003, and I love it, but I wouldn't want to start a brand new job in a brand new firm without there being an office I could go into. I think my current gig has worked as well as it has because I've always worked at least 50% of the time with people I've had established relationships with. In a brand new situation, I'd want at least a couple weeks of face-to-face interaction to build on before I started doing everything remote.

Maybe in a better company, I could rely on written procedures and practices rather than relationships, but probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

I am infinitely happier seeing my coworkers at all once about every 3 years. I personally do a lot better without people's incessant chattering and smelly food and whatever I cant even remember anymore its been 6 years of bliss.