Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

alexandriao posted:

also notice how nobody in that thread mentions spices or herbs lmao

e: I bet none of them know what cumin or cinnamon or asafoetida is

something something i showed your mom what cumin is iykwim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Schadenboner, please stop hacking into other people's accounts, it's not polite

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think some people just don't really enjoy food. I've had a friend since high school who seems to be perfectly well adjusted and isn't a picky eater at all aside from not liking fish, and he basically never has any opinion or preferences about food whatsoever. He doesn't eat junk food at all, and eating basically seems to be a chore for him. He's always been really skinny, and he started lifting weights a while ago but it seems like he can't eat enough to put on mass at all. I don't think it's the environment in which he was raised, either, because his parents were completely different and always cooked a lot. I have sort of entertained the idea that he has an impaired sense of smell or something, but I don't think that's actually the case. He just doesn't get much enjoyment out of food for some reason.

I just find it hard to understand because I really enjoy cooking, eating, and trying new foods.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 1, 2019

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

alexandriao posted:

also notice how nobody in that thread mentions spices or herbs lmao

e: I bet none of them know what cumin or cinnamon or asafoetida is

the people posting there are herbs

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

mystes posted:

I think some people just don't really enjoy food. I've had a friend since high school who seems to be perfectly well adjusted and isn't a picky eater at all aside from not liking fish, and he basically never has any opinion or preferences about food whatsoever. He doesn't eat junk food at all, and eating basically seems to be a chore for him. He's always been really skinny, and he started lifting weights a while ago but it seems like he can't eat enough to put on mass at all. I don't think it's the environment in which he was raised, either, because his parents were completely different and always cooked a lot. I have sort of entertained the idea that he has an impaired sense of smell or something, but I don't think that's actually the case. He just doesn't get much enjoyment out of food for some reason.

I just find it hard to understand because I really enjoy cooking, eating, and trying new foods.

does he have ADHD/depression and/or take adderall?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Vomik posted:

does he have ADHD/depression and/or take adderall?
Not to the best of my knowledge and I can't imagine that I wouldn't know.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

a rare mostly-good hn post

api 2 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Virgil Griffith arrested over North Korea: enginee...

I knew Virgil and considered him a friend long ago when we were both very into evolutionary inspired AI research. I met him at one of the ALife conferences (in Bloomington, IN at IU) and he later attended a group I helped found in Boston called Grey Thumb.
Our archives are still at greythumg.org including many talks on ALife, genetic programming, and theoretical biology.
Anyway a few years ago I watched him get sucked into the same vortex as many others I knew back then. I am not talking about cryptocurrency but... I guess I'll call it "alt-right" for lack of a better term. His feeds started featuring race-and-IQ material and such and I heard stories about him behaving like a misogynistic rear end in a top hat which is not the Virgil I met in the 2000s. Seems like a ton of people got their brains sucked out around 2012-2016. I know many others including a once brilliant writer and artist who now sounds like Vox Day and has done nothing but rant about it for years (and zero artistic output of course).
Virgil understands a lot about evolution, so I spent some time working on a letter intended as an attempt to deprogram him. I took the approach of explaining from first principles why I reject this ideology for not only moral but also practical and theoretical reasons. (I now feel motivated to turn it into a blog post if I can find the time, but I have a startup and am time poor these days.)
When I saw him get into Ethereum stuff I congratulated him and hoped it would give him something sufficiently interesting to do.
Anyway I wish I had some Earth-shattering point or revelation here, but this just saddens me.
Virgil had a misanthropic streak I can empathize with as someone else who grew up as a geek having an awful time in public school. Underneath that he struck me as a basically playful person with a powerful mind who could have done great things. I wish he would have found something more productive to sink his brain into like AI.
Now I'll have to listen to the media trash him too, calling him a "techbro" when he was anything but that.
Like I said I was hoping Ethereum would be that but that was before I saw how toxic that world was becoming.
These events make it look worse than I thought. Honestly I partly blame whatever weird nexus he fell into. I feel like someone brainwashed him and strapped a bomb to him and sent him off to do their dirty work. None of the other high up bag holders in Ethereum went to the DPRK and now they are washing their hands of it. Anything to pump the token value I guess. I hope if that's the case someone is held accountable but they won't be. I bet they won't even contribute to his legal defense fund.
I also wish I was less time poor. There is something deeply toxic that has infected our community. I am still not quite able to see it in its entirety, though I can see its edges and when people get infected by it its obvious. For years I've been straining to compose some magnum opus to deprogram people but I can't grasp the essence of the thing quite well enough. Maybe this is how people felt when Scientology took over Hollywood.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
if there’s one thing Paul graham seems to be interested in, it’s jerking off publicly and then trying to make money off his cum

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

jdkdnfndnfjd 1 hour ago [-]

How is this not the consensus? This guy said on national television that Elon musk is a psychopath who has no empathy for dying children — that the submarine was purely a cold and calculated PR stunt. This is the embodiment of defamation. A stupid, brutish thing to say and it’s not factually correct to boot. And then he tops it all off by telling Elon musk he should shove the submarine up his rear end. Seriously gently caress this guy. In my opinion Elon musk should sue him for defamation.
But nobody cares about Elon musk because hEs RiCh So gently caress HiM

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
nazis calling others sub human is "free speech" but call a rich white dude a psychopath and it's ~get the lawyers!~

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Won't somebody think of the poor downtrodden billionaires!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
if a billionaire wants you to consider their position and issues they should pay you to do so

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Take something like a bank loan. If you had a model at a bank which took credit score, income, wealth, and collateral into account, black Americans would have loans rejected at a higher rate than white Americans. Is this model racist? No, this model doesn't even know what race is, all it knows is credit scores, income, wealth, and collateral. Does the fact that black Americans used to be slaves in the US, or were kept out of certain housing markets, contribute towards the fact that black Americans, on average, have lower credit scores, income, wealth, and collateral? Of course. But is this model racist? Literally not at all. It is completely unbiased, and exactly what the model should be. If the case you're making is that you think that there should be a national effort to correct for historical injustices that were done by the state by actively discriminating by race, that is a completely different discussion.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Oneiros posted:

Take something like a bank loan. If you had a model at a bank which took credit score, income, wealth, and collateral into account, black Americans would have loans rejected at a higher rate than white Americans. Is this model racist? No, this model doesn't even know what race is, all it knows is credit scores, income, wealth, and collateral. Does the fact that black Americans used to be slaves in the US, or were kept out of certain housing markets, contribute towards the fact that black Americans, on average, have lower credit scores, income, wealth, and collateral? Of course. But is this model racist? Literally not at all. It is completely unbiased, and exactly what the model should be. If the case you're making is that you think that there should be a national effort to correct for historical injustices that were done by the state by actively discriminating by race, that is a completely different discussion.

you have a weird definition of bias homie

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Oneiros posted:

one degree of separation in the bias means unbiased

also using a biased input is itself an unbiased decision

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Oneiros posted:

til spreadsheet macros are machine learning algorithms

mystes
May 31, 2006

That comment also starts "I think beyond not feeding race in as a feature to any model, this stuff is mostly nonsense," which raises the question of what this person would think about feeding things like zip code data in.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

mystes posted:

That comment also starts "I think beyond not feeding race in as a feature to any model, this stuff is mostly nonsense," which raises the question of what this person would think about feeding things like zip code data in.

lancemantis posted:

one degree of separation in the bias means unbiased

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
"no, my model trained on 'people shot by cops most often' isn't racist, why do you ask"

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
Ask HN: Why GraphQL APIs but no Datalog APIs?

why do people use this rpc thing with production-ready implementations that plug into the frameworks and database they already use, when they could use this academic thing from the 70s by simply downloading this abandoned project with a custom makefile from sourceforge and rewriting their application using an artisanal database that has probably never seen concurrent use or a failure scenario, given that they are entirely unrelated except that graphql malaproposedly has "query language" in its name?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

quote:

Elon Musks' $40k USD Cybertruck reveal was one of the first times in years it felt like our present was making some kind of headway into the future, but while also being accessible to common people

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
in a thread called "music for programming"

pelliphant 33 minutes ago [-]

> and save the symphonies for consensual sex...
mmkay, thats nice, but what do you listen to for non-consentual sex?
/s

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

peak circlejerk

tptacek 29 minutes ago [-]

I guess I'm saying I agree strongly with Dan Luu when he quotes me as saying that smaller companies that hire like this are playing to lose.

hmm, yes, i guess i strongly agree with the guy literally quoting me, what a smart and handsome fellow he must be

although the paragraph after that where he tried to pose as the vanguard of the proletariat was pretty good too

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

peak circlejerk

tptacek 29 minutes ago [-]

I guess I'm saying I agree strongly with Dan Luu when he quotes me as saying that smaller companies that hire like this are playing to lose.

hmm, yes, i guess i strongly agree with the guy literally quoting me, what a smart and handsome fellow he must be

although the paragraph after that where he tried to pose as the vanguard of the proletariat was pretty good too

smae thread :

busterarm 2 minutes ago [-]

I guess everyone who ever had the means to create an endowment for a school is a criminal, then.
A hundred million dollars is a very powerful tool in the right hands. To suggest that having such means should be criminalized is farcical.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
they’re so close

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

suffix posted:

Ask HN: Why GraphQL APIs but no Datalog APIs?

why do people use this rpc thing with production-ready implementations that plug into the frameworks and database they already use, when they could use this academic thing from the 70s by simply downloading this abandoned project with a custom makefile from sourceforge and rewriting their application using an artisanal database that has probably never seen concurrent use or a failure scenario, given that they are entirely unrelated except that graphql malaproposedly has "query language" in its name?

I will unironically go to bat for Datalog. I'm working on a delegated authn/authz system (which I hope to open source) where the policy language is expressed in terms of Datalog, instead of something like AWS IAM, which throws JSON at you and has been trying to make up for this mistake since day one. GraphQL is this bizarre declarative-but-with-mutating shitshow and I think there exists a way to do a better job building arbitrary query-based stuff via Datalog-over-REST than any GraphQL monstrosity you want to throw out there. It involves effort, but whatever, build good things.

There are multiple implementations now, you don't have to use such an old one (I've used Datafrog in Rust and Jatalog on the JVM). The central idea, and the implementations you actually have to care about, are great.

NihilCredo posted:

You can read a little irony into that, IMO. FWIW tptacek is on the very short list of people on HN who are both technically extremely proficient and on the right side of history in a general sense. (He gets mad at me for going too hard at conservatives sometimes, which, meh, but he is genuinely a good egg.)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/pinboard/status/1205903000033583109

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
sansnomme 4 hours ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: The Higher States of Bromine

You know, philanthropists really need to invest in higher level free education for non-CS sciences. We have tons of free resources with tremendously beautiful animations on data structures and state-of-the-art machine learning, but the same can't be said for bio and chemistry.

mystes
May 31, 2006

eschaton posted:

sansnomme 4 hours ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: The Higher States of Bromine

You know, philanthropists really need to invest in higher level free education for non-CS sciences. We have tons of free resources with tremendously beautiful animations on data structures and state-of-the-art machine learning, but the same can't be said for bio and chemistry.
You somehow quoted the least crazy part of that post.

quote:

People can't make educated judgements about stuff like Mercury Thiomersal because that level of organic chemistry understanding isn't covered well by existing resources like Khan Academy... There is no FDA in Africa to bring down the hammer on you making videos on low-cost quality control for orphan drug analogues when people are dying due to corruption, incompetence, and poor medical practices.. The level of biochemistry knowledge on HN is amazingly poor, every thread on CRISPR and gene drives reads like the infamous parable of the blind men and an elephant.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
:stare:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
my ptrauth paper got linked on hn so let's see what the hackers have to say

quote:

Nope. ptrauth needs a good hash in Hardware. There's only crc32c, aes, sha1 (-160) and sha256 (i.e. sha2-256). Of these crc32c is entirely insecure, aes not applicable, so we are left with AMD, Intel laptops (Goldmont), armv8 and Power8. For sure we don't care about any SHA vulnerabilities here, only about speed.
Blake2 is about a factor of 1000 slower. Secure hashes are not really applicable for pointer hashing (i.e. 48bit). Some need 16byte alignment (but you can use a stack word for that), some need excessive padding. Here the padding will kill you.

quote:

If you don't use the standard library, and you don't need JIT, you can simply not use pointers to callbacks. You can still have something like qsort() but you need to have statically defined:
typedef void*(*callback)(...);extern const callback callbacks[256];
and qsort() takes an index instead of a raw pointer to a callback. "Validating" a callback is cheap: Just make sure it's <256 (how many do you need anyway?). If you don't do an unchecked call* or a jmp* then you don't have anything an attacker can exploit, and I find it hard to believe a cached load is going to be slower than something like this.

quote:

Is it technically possible to design a MMU that prevents a process reading or writing to a region of memory that don't belong to it?

quote:

Wow. Incredible to see the new heights of complexity that the von Neumann architecture has led to. Corruption of data leading to corruption of control leading to control flow guarantees through the addition of cryptography. Wow.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
the one about an MMU is amazing lol

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
wait who's still bitter about harvard architectures

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

wait who's still bitter about harvard architectures

that one is my favorite. it doesn't even make sense, it's not like harvard architectures just don't have function pointers or return addresses

now there are architectures that put return addresses in a separate stack which iiuc can't be directly addressed, but that's strictly a rop protection, and it's not like every harvard architecture does that

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

its a mill stan. gotta be

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
do the mill fans talk big about von neumann? i've never looked into it, since fifteen years on they're still vaporware, but it looks like they still have a unified address space and it's just return addresses that are isolated in non-addressable memory

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

1996 1 hour ago [-]

#1 problem: requiring identification. Sorry, I don't want to provide ID. We are not in a police state yet.
#2 problem: the snitching mentality. HAMs sure love to snitch on those who don't follow the rules to keep their clubs very exclusive and very obedient
#3 problem: banning a bunch of interesting uses. Can't transmit encrypted - linked to #1 and #2 I guess.
Overall, a nice hobby for someone who aims to work at a FANG: if your life objective is to obey, serve and extend the order decided by the status quo, HAM is a nice matching hobby.
If it's not for you, stay out of the snitchers band, and play on low power on the unlicensed bands instead. The smell of freedom is intoxicating.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rjmccall posted:

do the mill fans talk big about von neumann? i've never looked into it, since fifteen years on they're still vaporware, but it looks like they still have a unified address space and it's just return addresses that are isolated in non-addressable memory

is any of that going to stop a mill fan bitching about von neumann

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i'm just intrigued by the idea that there might still be mill fans after all these years of nothing. like they could absolutely have made some prototype chips by this point if their design was worth anything

i love some of the mill talking points, like they use a generic instruction encoding and it's just the interpretation of the bits in those encodings that varies between models so somehow the programming model is easier, for all the programmers who are keying in their assembly programs with the front switches and don't mind rewriting for a completely different isa as long as they don't have to write out where the operands go on a new piece of masking tape