Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

there’s dozens of email companies whose entire selling point is “in your country and not US based”, so even that’s commoditized at this point

sorta regretting paying for several years of fastmail in advance but I guess I don’t really care if aussies are reading my mail in the meantime

if australia is reading it they’re giving it to canada, new zealand, the uk, and the us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Fish Microwaver would be a good username

if we ban bloodandsoil1488 on sight, we ought to ban fishmicrowaver on sight as well

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Midjack posted:

if australia is reading it they’re giving it to canada, new zealand, the uk, and the us.

lucky for you we can't read

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bulgakov posted:

placing my last week’s fish dish at the focal point of a crater sized antenna dish so that a buncha outer space radio waves might eventually heat it up within the next billion years :pray:

arecibo special

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

if we ban bloodandsoil1488 on sight, we ought to ban fishmicrowaver on sight as well

fishmechrowaver

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

arecibo special

you might have slight technical issues putting something into focal point of main arecibo dish

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i have had some coworkers over the years who make this one rice dish that has some bits of fish in it, but it smells really good because it has lots of delicious spices in it

e: "fishmechrowaver" lol

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 30, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Midjack posted:

fishmechrowaver

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you might have slight technical issues putting something into focal point of main arecibo dish

don't gently caress up my joke ☹️

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i appreciate this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

klafbang posted:

You are very wrong. Sure, you should probably not host your mail on a Raspberry Pi in a closet or whatever, but there are very good reasons not to go with the classical big cloud email providers.

Especially American companies are very problematic especially for European government or government-like institutions. Using Google, O365, or even running your "own" mail server at Amazon or Microsoft is in some cases not an option due to the CLOUD act.

I've a customer like that with strict EU-only, preferable same country policies for data. They just switched from O365 to a local shop. They have a strong bias against non-open software, especially if it is US or even UK-based. We do not host vital data for them, but they do deal with very sensitive health data, that they host in-house.

The CLOUD act means there's more reason to host your own e-mail than anytime since O365 and Gmail matured.

E: doesn't apply if you're US-based, of course. Then you're pretty much hosed either way and might as well go with O365 like everybody else.

lol @ dumb anti-American laws designed to promote terrible local alternatives.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Shaggar posted:

how are you all handling the whisky import taxes btw, opening a bottle as a token of respect

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

CLOUD act is the dumbest law right after that one where if a us serviceman is taken to The Hague the us will invade

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

there are so many things wrong with the opinions you choose to have that just starting to address them would guarantee a v18.4 thread

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

there are so many things wrong with the opinions you choose to have that just starting to address them would guarantee a v18.4 thread

dumb loving euro: "Well I lost all the patient data to Russian hackers, but its ok because reddit says the US government would look at it if I used aws"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MononcQc posted:

shaggar doesn't have their own opinions, they just care desperately about everyone else's and keep a detailed spreadsheet to maximize their contrarianism

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Shaggar posted:

the only law anyone was even talking about is the cloud act, which was enacted by the congress of the united states of america and signed into law by president donal trump

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I assumed there were laws preventing euros from using office365 and not just some clown saying euros shouldn't use office 365 because hes an idiot

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

some clown saying euros shouldn't use office 365 because hes an idiot

when did you say that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cocoa Crispies posted:

when did you say that

lol

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

cinci zoo sniper posted:

having had immediate experience with european space agency, i have to say that while the bureaucracy taking place is often gargantuan (primary point of comparison - nasa), everything works in order and as intended, with redundant redundancy mechanisms and audit trails to the level of who microwaved a fish in kitchen 4a in poland on last wednesday at 3:12am

We also have the silly Galileo failure from earlier this year with ESA featuring prominently on the chart of blame: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/11/08/galileo_satellites_outage/

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol i got a mess of what claimed to be yahoo 2fa codes via sms from a mess of random numbers but don't know what scam they're even trying to run cause I never had a yahoo account :psyduck:

o well

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Data sovereignty is theoretically very important but it's not very well implemented and generally pushes people into dramatically worse technical solutions with fear mongering. That has been my experience.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

EssOEss posted:

We also have the silly Galileo failure from earlier this year with ESA featuring prominently on the chart of blame: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/11/08/galileo_satellites_outage/

harsh but fair, i've primarily been exposed to research side of esa

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

abigserve posted:

Data sovereignty is theoretically very important but it's not very well implemented and generally pushes people into dramatically worse technical solutions with fear mongering. That has been my experience.

The solution to "data soverignty" is to secure your own data with encryption you control. Who cares if sensitive patient records are stored in AWS if they are strongly encrypted?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The solution to "data soverignty" is to secure your own data with encryption you control. Who cares if sensitive patient records are stored in AWS if they are strongly encrypted?

it's a lot easier to write and enforce policy that lacks nuance

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

also i am willing to bet it is safer not to upload your stuff on aws if you are not really sure your fancy encryption schema works and has no holes in it

on the other hand what difference does the location of the data make if state level actors can and will hack another country's data centers anyway?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Penisface posted:

also i am willing to bet it is safer not to upload your stuff on aws if you are not really sure your fancy encryption schema works and has no holes in it

on the other hand what difference does the location of the data make if state level actors can and will hack another country's data centers anyway?

it's easier, cheaper, and less risky to send a normal request to your established law enforcement contacts at AWS than it is to hack some kraut provider

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Germany is part of SSEUR so maybe their intelligence already has access and can pass it along.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

taqueso posted:

Germany is part of SSEUR so maybe their intelligence already has access and can pass it along.

with the caveat that that kind of request is now going by two countries' intelligence bureaucracies instead of just one, presumably introducing a bunch of opportunities for delay or non-compliance

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it's easier, cheaper, and less risky to send a normal request to your established law enforcement contacts at AWS than it is to hack some kraut provider

i think the working assumption is that law enforcement has a dedicated ip address to ssh into, any and all "requests" will be retroactively parallel-constructed when there is a need to cover someone's rear end

mystes
May 31, 2006

Penisface posted:

i think the working assumption is that law enforcement has a dedicated ip address to ssh into, any and all "requests" will be retroactively parallel-constructed when there is a need to cover someone's rear end
State of the art law enforcement autoparallelization

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Who knew that parallel processing had such connotations

:ohdear:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
That explains the police's race conditions.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

1000% agree, and every time I've raised this with the relevant security stakeholders they look at you like a deer in the headlights

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Hollow Talk posted:

That explains the police's race conditions.

Nice

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

abigserve posted:

1000% agree, and every time I've raised this with the relevant security stakeholders they look at you like a deer in the headlights

Ensuring all data is encrypted at rest and in transit is a wonderful thing that for some reason everyone is terrified of and or clueless about implementing.

I wonder if there are easy resources for implementing to just point people at and be like.. do that.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ZeusCannon posted:

Ensuring all data is encrypted at rest and in transit is a wonderful thing that for some reason everyone is terrified of and or clueless about implementing.

I wonder if there are easy resources for implementing to just point people at and be like.. do that.

key management sucks, that's why

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
encryption at rest is either (1) very strong but also incredibly limiting in ways that affect every client of your system or (2) little more than a precaution of last resort against primitive data disclosures like stealing a drive

if only the end-user has keys, then nobody else can access the data without their intervention. that’s fine if your service is like icloud, basically just distributed storage for opaque app data that the user might request occasionally. but it’s a lot trickier for medical records or a ticketing service or an inventory system or anything else where you or third parties sometimes have legitimate needs to access the data of a particular user and where tossing the data if the user forgets their password or loses their device or whatever is not actually acceptable

if your service can decrypt the data it stores then you’re solidly in “eh it’s probably better than not encrypting it” territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

rjmccall posted:

encryption at rest is either (1) very strong but also incredibly limiting in ways that affect every client of your system or (2) little more than a precaution of last resort against primitive data disclosures like stealing a drive

if only the end-user has keys, then nobody else can access the data without their intervention. that’s fine if your service is like icloud, basically just distributed storage for opaque app data that the user might request occasionally. but it’s a lot trickier for medical records or a ticketing service or an inventory system or anything else where you or third parties sometimes have legitimate needs to access the data of a particular user and where tossing the data if the user forgets their password or loses their device or whatever is not actually acceptable

if your service can decrypt the data it stores then you’re solidly in “eh it’s probably better than not encrypting it” territory

It's worth noting that in the context of data sovereignty, that primitive "a foreign government has access to the drive" is literally the attack you're worried about.